AT&T Will Charge Gigabit Customers More If They Want Privacy

qwertywarrior

http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/18175/at-t-will-charge-gigabit-customers-more-if-they-want-privacy.html

bloody hell

AT&T is competing against Google in some markets, most recently Kansas City, with its own fiber internet service. On the basis of price, AT&T's gigabit costs the same, but that comes with its own costs. Customers must pay more if they want privacy since otherwise, the internet service provider (ISP) will monitor web browsing.

The reason why AT&T looks at the way people are browsing has to do with ads. Customers must pay $29 to avoid AT&T's "Internet Preferences" which will go right past other internet privacy settings to collect private data.

AT&T says it monitors web browsing from GigaPower accounts to provide advertisements. Even those who pay the extra $29--which raises the monthly service price from $70 to $99--aren't entirely free from AT&T's snooping. "

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Even if im not in the US whenever i read something like this is frightens me,the tought of this ever ivading this part of the world.

FCC should make a new legislation for this too,why are they even allowed to do that?

Are consumers doing absolutely nothing about this? I know it's tough when they're your only option, but that shouldn't mean everything is just acceptable.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

Are consumers doing absolutely nothing about this? I know it's tough when they're your only option, but that shouldn't mean everything is just acceptable.

privacy is viewed very differently these days

i think the only time people will freak out is when they ban cola and kfc in the same day

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

are you fucking serious at&t

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Hey AT&T

Go pound yourself in the testicles with a meat tenderizing mallet. 

I hope none of you reproduce is what I'm saying. Queef bagels. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The Future: Paying for your constitutional rights.

Temp solution(If for some reason you chose to go with AT&T instead of Google Fiber):
Pay for a VPN. It's a fraction of the price that you would otherwise be paying to AT&T and it will also be far more private than what AT&T promises for the addition $30.

Stupid on their part, but solvable with a VPN.

I was about to say,

Just use 2 VPN's and then TOR, see em try and sort through that mess. If they bitch say "stop spying on me assholes"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Damn, Sprint seems like the best wireless provider in America right now. Screw at&t and verizon.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

LOL

guys, google does literally the exact same thing, why the hell are you getting all buthurt about ATT doing it?

whats stupid is you have to pay to get out of it. but targeted ads have been a thing for a long time now. so what if att wants to target ads at me?

am I the only one that wants ads that apply to me, instead of random ads? Id rather have things pop up about good deals on graphics cards vs tampons or something. sensationalist title, Unless google is a a massive anti privacy entity also. 

targeting ads is THE VERY LEAST harm a company can do about your privacy. sorry to break up the circle jerk

It's like they really, truly try to look ridiculous.

AT&T fucking sucks. End of story. I have them as an ISP (unfortunately). They are selfish idiots.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I was about to say,

Just use 2 VPN's and then TOR, see em try and sort through that mess. If they bitch say "stop spying on me assholes"

and then have shit internet speed and end up paying more money for the vpns anyway

LOL

guys, google does literally the exact same thing, why the hell are you getting all buthurt about ATT doing it?

whats stupid is you have to pay to get out of it. but targeted ads have been a thing for a long time now. so what if att wants to target ads at me?

am I the only one that wants ads that apply to me, instead of random ads? Id rather have things pop up about good deals on graphics cards vs tampons or something. sensationalist title, Unless google is a a massive anti privacy entity also. 

targeting ads is THE VERY LEAST harm a company can do about your privacy. sorry to break up the circle jerk

i read all the info i can find about  google fiber

the 1gbit service they have does not do this

they did say however if u want free 5mbps service we will see ur web browsing usage

How can they even see stuff like that?

"Oh , this guy visited a torrent site. I bet he's pirating!"

Or "This guy is using an awful lot of bandwidth. I bet he is pirating!"

I don't get it.

Why is America's internet so shitty? like why?

Compared to a nation like Sweden, every factor went wrong. When the Dial-up boom was winding up, the major Telecom company had only just been privatized, The companies in the US could charge much more. Using their mad stacks they could then lobby against any sort of municipal broadband and they were under no obligation to share infrastructure, while in Sweden everybody rents copper from the same company.

Compared to a nation like Sweden, every factor went wrong. When the Dial-up boom was winding up, the major Telecom company had only just been privatized, The companies in the US could charge much more. Using their mad stacks they could then lobby against any sort of municipal broadband and they were under no obligation to share infrastructure, while in Sweden everybody rents copper from the same company.

Funny, we have a similar system in Australia. Everyone pays Telstra to "rent" the copper lines.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Funny, we have a similar system in Australia. Everyone pays Telstra to "rent" the copper lines.

The old state company still holds our copper, but it was forced (Since the government still owns a majority of the company) to form a subsidiary to rent out the copper.