This is a unique CPU cooler with refrigerant and uses special material created using C-4 (Captherm MP1240 Multiphase CPU Cooler)

ahhming

MP-1240.jpg
1240-Box-Back-645x475.jpg
1120-Installed-645x475.jpg

CapTherm is a Canadian startup based in Vancouver.
So about this cooler. It uses 500 pounds of C-4 explosives to create a special tri-metal material (Copper, Stainless Steel and Aluminum) through explosive bonding that they then use in production of MP-1120 cooler for desktop computers.
Unlike a traditional air cooler there is a special non-conductive refrigerant inside that has an extremely low boiling point that helps dissipate heat from the CPU better than a traditional water cooler that uses an electric pump. CapTherm Systems MP-1120 use R134a refrigerant as hydrofluoroethers (HFE) have the vapor-point needed to pull off a cooler designed like this.
Multiphase technology uses latent heat of vaporization by taking advantage of a phase change from liquid to vapor, enabling it to absorb vast amounts of energy.

Basically it was build using special material through explosive bonding and uses R134a which is a non-conductive refrigerant for air conditioner and is pumpless.

MP-1120 is rated to handle up to 275 Watts and the MP-1240 can handle up to 325 Watts. The CapTherms MP-1240 might not be able to fit in many cases due to the position of the fixed heat exchanger.

it will cost $249 and will perform 2-3C better than a traditional water cooler

they are also licensing  the IP versus bringing a full-fledged retail product to the channel themselves.  
(hope linus will do a video on this)
Source:

http://www.legitreviews.com/ces-2015-captherm_157114

http://www.eteknix.com/captherm-systems-reveal-new-mp-1240-multiphase-cooler/

http://captherm.com/
http://captherm.com/captherms-mp-1240-secures-2-ces-innovations-design-and-engineering-awards/

explosive bonding
http://www.explosionbonding.com/

(120 version) 

DAYUM

That's a bad ass cooling unit! :o

It surely deserves the CES Innovation Award.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

last night my brother said "Why don't we use the coolant from the fridge/AC to cool the CPU?" and I said "hmm, wouldn't work. lots of variables.. lots of work"

now I'm impressed :D

SPAAAAAACE!!!

in a time of crisis i can just weaponise my cpu cooler. im down, i do that anyways lol

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I know this isn't really intended for consumers to buy, but seriously! You want me to shell out 250 bucks just so I can get 2-3 degrees better cooling performance? How is that even logical?

Rant over. Looks cool, but the price sure doesn't.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Only 2-3 C lower? TEC suddenly seems like a much better option.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I know this isn't really intended for consumers to buy, but seriously! You want me to shell out 250 bucks just so I can get 2-3 degrees better cooling performance? How is that even logical?

That is how enthusiasts are... I'd gladly spend that for 2-3 degrees

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

2-3 degrees better then water cooling, so quite a bit better than normal air. 

I think this looks amazing and I feel like they could really do a lot with this concept. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I think Charlie from Semiaccurate mentioned this solution quite some time ago when it was in the work.

I quoted this from LegitReviews website:- 'Then again CapTherm has over 8 patents on multiphase cooling technology and could just be looking to license the IP versus bringing a full-fledged retail product to the channel themselves.'

That's a good way to introduce this to the market and possibly making this solution much more affordable.

they had me at C4

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

I quoted this from LegitReviews website:- 'Then again CapTherm has over 8 patents on multiphase cooling technology and could just be looking to license the IP versus bringing a full-fledged retail product to the channel themselves.'

That's a good way to introduce this to the market and possibly making this solution much more affordable.

or they could patent troll in the future. :'(

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Can't say I wasn't expecting someone to actually use this idea in practice. Seemed like a pretty obvious thing to use refrigerant in a CPU cooler.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

This thing is so badass we use explosives to make it! F*CK YEAH CANADA!!

If it can be turned such that the heat exchanger won't interfere with the RAM, it should fit most midrange to high-end ATX cases... not sure about motherboard compatibility though...

Can these cool CPUs below room temp??

Could you imagine this kind of technology inside the Vapor-X. It would make a huge impact on the discrete GPU market providing lower than liquid temperatures with a custom air cooler.

C-4?! :o

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I think this thing is awesome. Mainly because it was formed with C-4..... But the price seems alittle high, but alot of people spend that much on liquid cooling, so I guess the price isn't all tat bad. BUT its not as cool as liquid cooling. You don't get the colors, and seeing liquid circling around your computer....

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

See I get the phase change, but I am fuzzy on needing the C-4 made alloy...

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

ive seen this last year

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

going to love seeing people to try to use that with Dominator Platinums 

Someone on their engineering team will get his/her head out of his/her rectum and rotate the orientation 90*. I mean really... What twit forgot that?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd