Video Request: "iSwitched to Linux"

john01dav

Seconded. It'd be interesting to see how mature the platform is now (when I last used it as my daily driver in late 2012 it was pretty good, but when issues cropped up they weren't the most straightforward), and to see how much the platform's missing in terms of software that hasn't made its way over yet (looking particularly at Adobe)

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Someone, give this man Moderator. Now.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

I was just about to post this myself, I'm a big supporter of linux systems i always install one distro on an old laptop to increase performance but i've always been held back from switching on my gaming rig due to fear of loosing all my games, around 300 in total. Please aleviate my fears and lead us to the light. Also seeing a high end system run it would be very nice :)

I'd love to see it, from someone that knows absolutely nothing about Linux I'd love to learn about it from Linus.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

If this happens, he needs to have someone showing him what is right and what is not. I forsee him spending 2 days trying and actually giving up because finding the correct things for him isn't going to happen on his own.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I was just about to post this myself, I'm a big supporter of linux systems i always install one distro on an old laptop to increase performance but i've always been held back from switching on my gaming rig due to fear of loosing all my games, around 300 in total. Please aleviate my fears and lead us to the light. Also seeing a high end system run it would be very nice :)

I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS running on a fairly high end system (Nvidia MSI GTX 770, AMD FX-8350) and it works out perfectly. In fact, everything but my GPU works at full performance with the default drivers, and the GPU works perfectly (in fact, it works faster than on Windows) with Nvidia's driver.

If this happens, he needs to have someone showing him what is right and what is not. I forsee him spending 2 days trying and actually giving up because finding the correct things for him isn't going to happen on his own.

I'm willing to answer questions about Linux.

So am I, but its more than just answering the questions, I think it would be more 'Tell me what you want and I will show you how'. It needs someone to be there next to him to show him why things are how they are. Which is why watchingthe OSX iSwitched made me cringe.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I have Ubuntu 14.04 LTS running on a fairly high end system (Nvidia MSI GTX 770, AMD FX-8350) and it works out perfectly. In fact, everything but my GPU works at full performance with the default drivers, and the GPU works perfectly (in fact, it works faster than on Windows) with Nvidia's driver.

Funnily enough i'm using that version aswell was going to upgrade to 14.10 but spotted how new it was then thought against beta testing again, did it with 13.10 and ended up revertting. It's great that drivers have become more readily availible however running games natively without needing a dosbox or virtualbox would be a great big boost for me. i've done my time in dual booting and however great it is it just isn't practical. Steam is doing great allowing more games to run without the need for these apps and it really needs the support of the people to push it further ahead also having someone like linus do this would be a boost just for the coverage alone.

edit: i'm also using a GNOME 3.0 interface which is quite fluid :)

So am I, but its more than just answering the questions, I think it would be more 'Tell me what you want and I will show you how'. It needs someone to be there next to him to show him why things are how they are. Which is why watchingthe OSX iSwitched made me cringe.

There are hundereds of guides on the Internet, Google can do that. Also, if Google fails, I am already writing long paragraph long answers about Linux on a different forum, so I see no reason not to here :P.

Funnily enough i'm using that version aswell was going to upgrade to 14.10 but spotted how new it was then thought against beta testing again, did it with 13.10 and ended up revertting. It's great that drivers have become more readily availible however running games natively without needing a dosbox or virtualbox would be a great big boost for me. i've done my time in dual booting and however great it is it just isn't practical. Steam is doing great allowing more games to run without the need for these apps and it really needs the support of the people to push it further ahead also having someone like linus do this would be a boost just for the coverage alone.

edit: i'm also using a GNOME 3.0 interface which is quite fluid :)

I run lots of games through Steam with native Linux support, and PlayOnLinux can run most games that I've come across (but I really don't game much, so this is a bad sample) perfectly fine.

There are hundereds of guides on the Internet, Google can do that. Also, if Google fails, I am already writing long paragraph long answers about Linux on a different forum, so I see no reason not to here :P.

Often things do not explain why something is like it is, i forsee problems because something is different from what linus is used to with no explination on why, i.e. the unified file system that linus hated in the OSX iSwitched, which makes sense when you explain why.

Shouldn't it be called 'KSwitched to Linux'? But yes, I support this, I suggest he does Porteus and Ubuntu.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

It will most likely never happen. Linus'Even struggles with a complete OS as OSX. Let alone Linux.

Interested in Business and Technology

It will most likely never happen. Linus'Even struggles with a complete OS as OSX. Let alone Linux.

I remeber watching a video comparing HDD's to SSD's and luke lafreniere mentioned how his HDD has been in use since he was in high school and how he had various distros of linux on there. I think there will be plenty of knowledge floating around and besides anything you can't quite grasp just google it.

I remeber watching a video comparing HDD's to SSD's and luke lafreniere mentioned how his HDD has been in use since he was in high school and how he had various distros of linux on there. I think there will be plenty of knowledge floating around and besides anything you can't quite grasp just google it.

Luke knows. Linus doesn't. And since Linus is the boss king and Luke the peasant slave it will probably not happen.

Interested in Business and Technology

Luke knows. Linus doesn't. And since Linus is the boss king and Luke the peasant slave it will probably not happen.

tad harsh, but i see your point. I hope they do release a video about this topic or just discuss it on the WAN show and see if the feedback from that is worth exploring further.

They could get a System76 machine to compare the buying experience of the mac. The Sable Touch would be the closest to the iMac [although not anywhere near the display quality.]

https://system76.com/desktops/sable 

There are other linux os distributors but System76 is the one i'm most familiar with.

Lord of Helium.

I don't see why this couldnt happen.

I mean, it seems like part of the point of the iSwitched OS-X episode - is how much of a struggle it was to adapt to mac from pc.

Its kinda the same concept, seeing how intuitive a complete OS like Ubuntu is for a primarily Windows user, to convert to.

Nix is intuitive as hell for me, given i've been using it in GUI & CLI form since 2001 (mainly Debian & RHEL distros) in both Server & Desktop environments. 

I must admit, I struggle a little with the newer Ubuntu Unity interface, having never really learnt anything about it. I love my KDE & Gnome to much

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Well the guy who created Linux was called Linus.

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

He tries to do iSwitched videos from the perspective of the average user... I couldn't figure out how to do a ton of things on Linux. I can't even imagine how the average user could deal with it.

what about steamOS? thats linux

And of course Android

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

what about steamOS? thats linux

And of course Android

SteamOS is intended to be similar to a console, isn't it? To get most apps to work on it, it'd probably be harder than a normal distro of linux.

Does android even run on x86_64?