PC that weighs less than 57 grams / 2 ounces and works in any HDMI port with Intel Atom x86 inside.. Smaller than Zotacs

fnixha

tiny-atom-pc-590x330.jpg

The plain-looking, white device you see up there isn’t a promotional flash drive Intel was giving out to conference attendees. It’s actually a Bay Trail Atom PC that tips the scales at just 1.6 ounces.

It’s similar to Google’s Chromecast, at least in the sense that it’s designed to plug into an HDMI port, can be powered via a micro USB port, and connects to the Internet via WiFi. This isn’t just a dongle you can cast video to, however. It’s a full-blown x86 PC.

This little fella is manufactured by the Shenzen Apec Electronics, and you can pick one up on AliExpress for around $125 including shipping. That price doesn’t include an OS, but you’re free to load Windows, Linux, Android, or any other Atom-friendly OS you want onto it.

What can you cram into a PC this small? Apart from the quad-core Bay Trail processor (a 32-bit Z3735F), it’s got 1GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0, and a micro SD expansion slot. A beefier model is available with a 64-bit Atom Z3735G and 2GB of RAM, but the seller doesn’t have a price posted for the upgrade. Internal storage can be bumped up to 32GB, but again… no pricing.

The guts in here are similar to what you’d find inside that $65 Windows tablet that popped up earlier this week. As far as why you can tack on a touchscreen display, a rechargeable battery, pre-load Windows on it, and still price the device $60 less than this PC, well… in the tech game, smaller things often cost more money.

That might not be the official explanation from Shenzen Apec, but it’s certainly true in a lot of cases.

http://www.geek.com/chips/this-isnt-a-thumbdrive-its-a-pc-that-weighs-less-than-2-ounces-and-works-in-any-hdmi-port-1607124/

.. and my name is spelled f n i ((xh) like G) a

wtf is an ounce

1 ounce = 28.3495 grams

2 grams is .125 pounds

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

um, load windows on it. with 1 gig of ram? yeah okay. 

32-bit Windows runs perfectly fine on 1GB of RAM...

COMIC SANS

A measurement of weight used in the Imperial system. 

2 ounces = 56.7 grams

i know i live in the uk.(we at least have the option of metric only) i just really dont like imperial, (i dont actually know the conversion for the weight based ones though)

it can handle xp? and 8.1 so..

.. and my name is spelled f n i ((xh) like G) a

There's a version with 2GB

"Rawr XD"

32-bit Windows runs perfectly fine on 1GB of RAM...

not saying it wouldn't run, but this would be for a cheap media pc correct? web browser, video player. chrome is using 700mb right now. let me open a 1080P youtube video. I may be wrong, wouldnt be the first time, just saying this doesnt seem as useful as some might think. 

cool concept, cant wait to see what future versions of this might hold.

wow thats awesome

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

64 bit version + 2GB of RAM = really awesome everyday linux box or an XBMC media center

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

not saying it wouldn't run, but this would be for a cheap media pc correct? web browser, video player. chrome is using 700mb right now. let me open a 1080P youtube video. I may be wrong, wouldnt be the first time, just saying this doesnt seem as useful as some might think. 

cool concept, cant wait to see what future versions of this might hold.

Then don't use Chrome? BTW, I don't know if it's only the 64-bit version of Chrome, but this site has a major memory leaking issue in Chrome.

Using 32-bit Windows 8.1 Pro on my sisters laptops that is about 10 years old with only 1GB of ram and works just fine

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

My mind is trying to comprehend this while y'all bitching about the 1GB of RAM.

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Does it run crysis?

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ

Interesting...

How would it compare to Chromecast in terms of availability and affordability?

Wait a sec.. I'm having trouble understanding how this works.

I plug it into a TV and it becomes a PC of sorts?

Apart from the quad-core Bay Trail processor (a 32-bit Z3735F), it’s got 1GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, 802.11b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0, and a micro SD expansion slot.

It's actually a 64-bit processor. I personally would like to have one to plug into my PC monitor to boot Ubuntu from. Forget dual booting, just switch the display mode from DVI to HDMI and presto you're running Windows and Linux at the same exact time using the same monitor.

Wait a sec.. I'm having trouble understanding how this works.

I plug it into a TV and it becomes a PC of sorts?

Exactly that, it's a full blown computer that you just pops into the HDMI port of your TV or PC monitor.

A little fishy that it is only listed on a Chinese version of eBay, and no real pictures... just renders.

Manufactures webpage: http://www.szapec.com/default.asp?id=1793

Still only renders, but every other product they sell has actual pictures of the items.

It's actually a 64-bit processor. I personally would like to have one to plug into my PC monitor to boot Ubuntu from. 

I'm not sure the reasoning behind it, or if it is even related... but there were a bunch of tablets that people are complaining about that are actually 64-bit, but only run at 32-bit. I think there was a change.org petition asking manufactures to update something somewhere...

I will wait until they sell it on Amazon.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

can be powered via a micro USB port

So is this thing powered by the HDMI port or gets it's power by another usb port?  :wacko:

So, just to be able to plug a keyboard and mouse in, I'd have to get a USB hub. Being that small is pretty awesome, but you'd have to think about how you'd go about getting all your peripherals connected. Or I guess you could just use bluetooth/combo wireless USB mouse/keyboard.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

So is this thing powered by the HDMI port or gets it's power by another usb port?  :wacko:

Like the Raspberry Pi (or nearly any non-Apple smartphone/tablet) it'll have a Micro-USB 'power' port to be provided power, from either a Powered USB hub or probably a wall wart AC adapter. It'll just transmit audio/video data through the HDMI plug on it.

As for those saying "Only 1GB of RAM?!" for something that size and price, you're honestly spoiled if you look at how long the Raspberry Pi was running with 256MB of RAM for both programs and video processing, now it's got 512MB with the Model B+ (still split between programs and video).