Square Enix on death row.

Chriz6097

Say your last regards to Square Enix. As of today the company has put a large amount of their games onto humble bundle as a last effort to pay their employees before they close the doors.

This isn't the first time. We remember when THQ did the same thing not to long ago before closing up. Well I guess it's a good time as ever to say goodbye to good old Square Enix

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

whatttttttttt D:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

sauce?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Haven't seen much good games from them since the PS2 days. Maybe if they made an action game rather than keeping to the old turn based system in Final Fantasy, I would have been more interested.

Haven't seen much good games from them since the PS2 days. Maybe if they made an action game rather than keeping to the old turn based system in Final Fantasy, I would have been more interested.

Sleeping dogs wasn't a bad game but that was a few years ago now.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

This seems a bit sensationalized.

I'm aware sqeenix has been having pretty big financial issues but do you have any actual source saying this is definitely a last ditch effort to get what they can?  With THQ it was very public and everyone was very aware it was a last ditch effort to get any money they could. 

Plus the asking price for some of the packs are much much much higher than anything we saw with THQ with the top bundle being 15 bucks, which is still insane for the number of games but a pure "f*ck we need literally any dollar we can get" wouldn't put such a high ceiling methinks.

Im thinking this was more of a "were having some pretty big issues, this may be a nice little boost that we need" more than the "f*ck we need literally any dollar we can get"

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

whatttttttttt D:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

sauce?

I AM THE SAUCE! But Yea, it's mostly speculation and considering Square Enix's current state I can't see any other reason for giving away all their new games for pennies.

Final Fantasy has only ever been good turn based. #ComeAtMeBro

Final Fantasy XV isn't going to be turn based.

Kingdom Hearts wasn't and isn't turn based.

I AM THE SAUCE! But Yea, it's mostly speculation and considering Square Enix's current state I can't see any other reason for giving away all their new games for pennies.

>new games

I see Deus Ex: Human Revolution with The Fall, Hitman: Absolution, and Just Cause 2. What other games are new in that list? Just Cause 2 & Human Revolution are for $15+ buyers.

Just saying.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Whenever something is going away or I die in a video game I start singing:

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Meh. We've had equally generous bundles in the 2K Bundle and the EA Bundle, and yet neither was a sign of either of those two companies dying.

ah...as i posted in the other thread about this.....

I feel this is a bit sensationalized 
I'm aware sqeenix has been having pretty big financial issues but do you have any actual source saying this is definitely a last ditch effort to get what they can?  With THQ it was very public and everyone was very aware it was a last ditch effort to get any money they could. 

Plus the asking price for some of the packs are much much much higher than anything we saw with THQ with the top bundle being 15 bucks, which is still insane for the number of games but a pure "f*ck we need literally any dollar we can get" wouldn't put such a high ceiling methinks.

Im thinking this was more of a "were having some pretty big issues, this may be a nice little boost that we need" more than the "f*ck we need literally any dollar we can get"

Also as pointed out many non failing companies have done this as well....EA, Deep Silver, 2k, etc....

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Does this mean the end of Final Fantasy? I hope so.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Where is your source?

As @Derangel said, EA did a Humble Bundle, and as far as everyone knows, they are nowhere near a shutdown.

Doing a Humble Bundle does not mean that you're out of money or shutting down. It is as much a PR stunt as it is a way to make money.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Sleeping dogs wasn't a bad game but that was a few years ago now.

It wasn't a necessarily great game either. I felt GTA 4 is a better game, and even older.

Final Fantasy has only ever been good turn based. #ComeAtMeBro

Final Fantasy XV isn't going to be turn based.

Kingdom Hearts wasn't and isn't turn based.

>new games

I see Deus Ex: Human Revolution with The Fall, Hitman: Absolution, and Just Cause 2. What other games are new in that list? Just Cause 2 & Human Revolution are for $15+ buyers.

Just saying.

Kingdom Hearts was originally on PS2, so my point still stands. I prefer the Final Fantasy universe more and would definitely like to see  it become more action oriented. Final Fantasy XV isn't even out yet, and it even seems like the same system and mechanics that Kingdom Hearts used.

EDIT: Deus Ex is also a good game, but I found Mass Effect better overall. The other two games never really interested me.

1) This is an opinion piece and should not be in Tech News.

2) You have no source linked.

3) Just because Squeenix put some of their games into a Humble Bundle doesn't mean that they're going out of business soon. EA did the same thing a while back and what do you know, they're still here.

Squeenix is a very large company, much larger than you may think. All they have to do is keep pumping out Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy games and they'll be good to go. Those game series alone would probably pay for all Squeenix's bills.

COMIC SANS

Just report and hope for his ban/suspension.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

These are all just older SE games...

And some of them are quite good, so... to turn this thread into a silver lining...

Looks like a rather nice Humble Bundle!  Good find!

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Anybody else think that a Final Fantasy 7 HD Remake would help them?

On modern consoles? Not likely. SE has stated it would take the same amount of time and money as doing a new FF game. For as much as some people really want that I don't think it would be worth the $60-70+ million it would cost to make it. They'd probably make the development cost back but breaking even is not what you strive for when releasing a game.

Kingdom Hearts was originally on PS2, so my point still stands. I prefer the Final Fantasy universe more and would definitely like to see  it become more action oriented. Final Fantasy XV isn't even out yet, and it even seems like the same system and mechanics that Kingdom Hearts used.

EDIT: Deus Ex is also a good game, but I found Mass Effect better overall. The other two games never really interested me.

What point? That SE doesn't make action oriented games or that they don't make good ones these days? You realize Kingdom Hearts 3 is in development and Dream Drop Distance came out last year. 

... What trailer for FFXV did you see? It has a cover system. KH doesn't have a cover system. It does have a menu system, but you can actively change characters mid-battle. You can't do that in KH. I could go on. 

Undoubtedly. 

It was the most sold game in it's time after all. It's gotta make some kind of moneyz. But can you imagine how much it'd cost to make? Sure, most of the story is written, but all that CGI that'd need to be done.

Then there's meshing FF7 with what happened in FF:Crisis Core (which re-wrote small portions of the FF7 story). Some large portion of their fans would be unhappy regardless of what SE did in that situation. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Actually here's a more realistic (and even more sad) scenario: They will kill all western development and most of their japanese development as well and just throw every bit of cash they can muster into a fucking pathetic Final Fantasy title, possibly 15 v2 or 16 or whatever the fuck. 

That is sort of already happening since they cannot see past their own hubris and just insists on trying to triumph with another fucking Final Fantasy instead of focusing all this other excellent franchises that have clearly outdone anything they have been doing with FF for the last 14 years.

-------

Current Rig

-------

On modern consoles? Not likely. SE has stated it would take the same amount of time and money as doing a new FF game. For as much as some people really want that I don't think it would be worth the $60-70+ million it would cost to make it. They'd probably make the development cost back but breaking even is not what you strive for when releasing a game.

I was going to say that if they'd just remade FF7 they wouldn't have had a problem. Even if it costs the same as making an entirely new FF game, it would sell better since you'd be targeting people new to the series as well as older players that have fond memories of the PS1 era games, for example I personally have had no interest in anything after X, even that was pushing it for me, but HD versions of the older games I'd be way more interested in.