Why do my parents HATE video games?

iKingRPG
Go to solution Solved by AngryBeaver,
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, iKingRPG said:

Just because our parents didn't grow up with something means it is bad? My mom sometimes plays like candy crush or something like once a year, but I play a game for 30 minutes and she stops me and makes me read or study. I don't get it. I'm good in school, why are my parents so against games? I get she wants me to spend time with my family but I do and we are far aged apart. I'm not just here to complain about my parents. So I usually don't even play games that long but she recently forbided me from video games. The sad part is I have been using all I have recently to upgrade my PC. She says it ruins our life and only losers play games. She says: "no one I know plays video games. Except (that guy) that eats candy and plays on his phone instead of working." And here I am trying so hard not to be rude so I don't get in trouble. She also hates gaming YouTubers and says they have child minds. RIP me will this have an impact on me? I also mostly play free games because my mom thinks losers spend money on games. I wonder how much she would laugh if she knew espn endorsed Ninja.

It isn't the games they have a problem with. They are how kids these days get completely lost in them and that is ALL they want to do. They let games consume their lives and then act like little moody assholes anytime they don't get to play them.

I am someone who use to play a TON of games and still would if I had time, but I have seen the effect it has on my teenager and it can easily become an unhealthy addiction for our youth, hell they are trying to make video game addiction an actual medical condition. They have already in some places acknowledged video game withdraws.

Next is the fact this is your MOTHER. She has the ultimate say in what Is acceptable for you until you are 18 or as long as you live under her roof (whichever comes last). Making you give up games means you have more time to focus on your studies, get a hobby, take up sports, plan out your future, learn something useful (like coding), or read. I know it seems unfair now, but in the end she is doing you a favor. TBH, I wish my parents were more concerned with my game playing when I was in my teens. Then again I did play sports and have a healthy social life that took up my time too.

14 hours ago, Arika S said:

no amount of (attempted) convincing sounds like it's going to change her mind.

Yeah probably true ☹️

Honestly, I see where you are coming from here, however, I honestly just ignore what my parents tell me when it comes to my gaming habits. My parents also want me to join in with family stuff and study and get things done around the house too, I can only recommend that you do some chores around the house, maybe vacuum round, walk the dog, simple tasks that they would probably do instead. As long as you keep your coursework and studies up to date as well, you should be free to game beyond then. 

By using this method, I can often spend an entire afternoon gaming and my parents won't bat an eyelid, despite still wanting me to join them and watch a movie once in a while. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Sucks, my dad was that way when I was a kid, but too bad for him my mom and grandparents who lived in the same house all played games, not to mention pretty much everyone else in the family, so he just had to get with the picture. :D

Picture a couple of 70 year olds cussing and killing eachother in Goldeneye. :D

Anyways, as a kid you'll just have to deal. Fighting a parent will just make them double down, the sooner you learn that the easier things'll be. Honestly reverse psychology is a powerful tool when you're a kid if used subtlety...

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

I do have one thing to add...

Maybe they would be more interested if you suggested a family game night, and either get some suitable games for the PC that you could play together... or buy a used wii/wii-U or similar to play on, from my experience more adults feel unopposed to playing sports/music/trivia type games. And to be honest that is really fun to play as a group... maybe your parents are more opposed to the playing alone aspect of gaming, whereas a family activity where everyone can join in might make them not hate it so much.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

I do have one thing to add...

Maybe they would be more interested if you suggested a family game night, and either get some suitable games for the PC that you could play together... or buy a used wii/wii-U or similar to play on, from my experience more adults feel unopposed to playing sports/music/trivia type games. And to be honest that is really fun to play as a group... maybe your parents are more opposed to the playing alone aspect of gaming, whereas a family activity where everyone can join in might make them not hate it so much.

Great idea. Maybe I could do that... I made her kind of hate games by showing my whole family Minecraft about 5 years ago and she HATES it because there is "no point". So now she hates pretty much every game I show her. And you are right I could try showing my parents stuff I think they will like. I honestly like how Wii handle multiplayer on the same console. My mom couldn't believe me when we got an Xbox One I said most multiplayrt games you need a second console for ( or now days windows 10 ) because she bought a few games that were multiplayer. (It's like explaining you cant pause online games) When I used to have a Wii we used to happily play together. When we got an Xbox One my mom couldn't believe that game rentals from Redbox (which aren't worth it) would have to install for 5 hours and then we return them the next day. Anyway I think all these things made her hate games more.

17 hours ago, iKingRPG said:

Just because our parents didn't grow up with something means it is bad? My mom sometimes plays like candy crush or something like once a year, but I play a game for 30 minutes and she stops me and makes me read or study. I don't get it. I'm good in school, why are my parents so against games? I get she wants me to spend time with my family but I do and we are far aged apart. I'm not just here to complain about my parents. So I usually don't even play games that long but she recently forbided me from video games. The sad part is I have been using all I have recently to upgrade my PC. She says it ruins our life and only losers play games. She says: "no one I know plays video games. Except (that guy) that eats candy and plays on his phone instead of working." And here I am trying so hard not to be rude so I don't get in trouble. She also hates gaming YouTubers and says they have child minds. RIP me will this have an impact on me? I also mostly play free games because my mom thinks losers spend money on games. I wonder how much she would laugh if she knew espn endorsed Ninja.

she is mostly right. gaming is not productive. In most games you dont learn much. all the chavs play games because it takes a long time and doesnt cost much compared to the number of hours you can do it for.

TBH watching shite tier, meme grade reality TV is just as bad if not worse. loads of people do that all the time. 

i would say a hours or 2 a day is ok to have your brain switch off and turned to mush, but she is a little extreme at 30mins or complete banning them. maybe play a game where you might be able to learn something and tell her what you learnt each time?   

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

You have to be pretty old to not have grown up with gaming. I am 45 and games was a big part of my life growing up. First the arcade games, old Atari and Vectrex consoles on to Sinclair and Commodore. So much that I ended up working with Computers. People a lot older had at least parts of this during their childhood.

Not saying that game time should not be limited though. Some people's kids I know spend way to much time in front of a computer.

It's a shame that there's such a stigma attached to gaming. It comes from a good place, older people who are not familiar with gaming tend to be faced with a slew of negative press. Gamergate and the various stereotypes that are attached to gamers. It's founded on a pebble of truth but meh. If your parents are straight up hostile towards gaming, you have two options. First, you can try to change their mind, but that's hard to do because people don't change their minds easily. To do that, you can try to barter: I would like to do X amount of gaming and I promise I'll do Y amount of chores and useful things. Or you could bring up studies showing that gaming has some advantages.

But honestly, someone who thinks only losers game is kind of out of touch with reality. Gaming is now firmly in the lead in terms of market domination. Everybody games. CEOs game, bankers game, engineers game, lawyers game, doctors game. Not 3+ hours a day, but definitely a significant amount of time goes towards gaming.

Maybe your parents know what kind of people you can find in online games, honestly I'd do exactly the same if I had kids

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

40 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Maybe your parents know what kind of people you can find in online games, honestly I'd do exactly the same if I had kids

Being an overly restrictive parent will harm your kids and stunt their development. You can find those kinds of people in real life too. All good things in moderation, with parental controls if needed.

42 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Ok, for *online* games I'd make sure my kids were either 13 or playing a game with strict moderation, but singleplayer game?

6 hours ago, iKingRPG said:

Yeah my parents always let us do whatever career we want but they are so against gaming. They are the kind of people that get bothered when they see someone playing on their phone in public.

Do they care about the ethics of your career? I mean, there are a lot of careers out there that involve screwing people over for money.

Ive known parents that are like "get off the computer and go out with people from school" to their kid, and then the kid literally goes off to do and sell drugs. I mean selling drugs is waaaay better than sitting on the PC right? Had several friends growing up with situations like that. Think of the kind of people they meet there compared to online games?

Well, I just spent like 2 hours trying to finish a mission carefully so I would have no casualties, that's 2 hours spent and the only thing received was the satisfaction of getting my goals  in the game (lasts for literally 10 seconds) and a headache, I think the idea is that you should spend time doing something productive, reading a good book gets your imagination going and might help you look at things from a different angle, of course sports don't really get you anything but with the exercise you'd be healthier (unless you got injured) then just sitting in front of a screen.

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

Sorry but kids need a stress outlet as well as grown-ups do, and IMO gaming is a very good way of doing this. depends on the game and the child of course as not everyone's the same. There are always outliers, where gaming is messing with their already skewed reality of course, but they are definitely not the norm... I think if you force kids to do something or ban them from doing something does far more harm than good in most situations. I'm not saying gaming is the ONLY outlet, sports, reading and social events could help just as much if not more, I'm just saying that it shouldn't be disregarded as a viable outlet for de-stressing for an hour a day to get your mind straight again.

People that are like "I wouldn't let my kid" blah blah, really don't get it.... seriously think about something your parents didn't want you doing, and then consider whether you ended up doing whatever it was anyway, either to prove a point or you just really wanted to do it.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

42 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Ive known parents that are like "get off the computer and go out with people from school" to their kid, and then the kid literally goes off to do and sell drugs. I mean selling drugs is waaaay better than sitting on the PC right? Had several friends growing up with situations like that. Think of the kind of people they meet there compared to online games?

Depending on what they do when not gaming, gaming could be worse, just think, How many people in an online game tell others to kill themselves or they hope they die in a fire or get cancer or something? some games have some of the lowest slime there is, but I have never had anyone tell me in person that they hope I die in a fire, although there is that one person who keeps talking about killing me. . .   but anyway. . .

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

1 hour ago, pipnina said:

Ok, for *online* games I'd make sure my kids were either 13 or playing a game with strict moderation, but singleplayer game?

OP only mentioned roblox, not single games so idk

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

44 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

That was just an example of a free game. 

1 hour ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Depending on what they do when not gaming, gaming could be worse, just think, How many people in an online game tell others to kill themselves or they hope they die in a fire or get cancer or something? some games have some of the lowest slime there is, but I have never had anyone tell me in person that they hope I die in a fire, although there is that one person who keeps talking about killing me. . .   but anyway. . .

I found that kind of thing to be a cause for reflection. As I mentioned earlier I used to bash DotA2, and often in solo matchmaking. That game has a lot of people in it who are extremely toxic, especially when the game is being lost. I raged quite a bit at times until at one point I just stopped giving a shit about whether we were winning or losing, and decided to only say positive or constructive things, because I realised that those angry people were exactly how I sounded.

A cause for personal growth. Most teens struggle with emotions and I think that helped me get a hold of mine.

1 hour ago, aezakmi said:

TBF, when I played that in 2009-2013 it was pretty heavily moderated. I have relatively fond memories of the community though things may have changed in 5 years.

Most likely for you to spend time with your family if your PC is upstairs (me)

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

3 hours ago, pipnina said:
4 hours ago, aezakmi said:

TBF, when I played that in 2009-2013 it was pretty heavily moderated. I have relatively fond memories of the community though things may have changed in 5 years.

wow

roblox

dang i still play that

ive been on that game since '10 

i never knew id bump into a fellow roblox player

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

1 hour ago, pipnina said:

I found that kind of thing to be a cause for reflection. As I mentioned earlier I used to bash DotA2, and often in solo matchmaking. That game has a lot of people in it who are extremely toxic, especially when the game is being lost. I raged quite a bit at times until at one point I just stopped giving a shit about whether we were winning or losing, and decided to only say positive or constructive things, because I realised that those angry people were exactly how I sounded.

A cause for personal growth. Most teens struggle with emotions and I think that helped me get a hold of mine.

That's great, but how many people do you think would use the opportunity to make themselves better? 

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:30 PM, iKingRPG said:

why

Because they want their son/daughter to grow up healthy and not waste time on games.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, iKingRPG said:

It isn't the games they have a problem with. They are how kids these days get completely lost in them and that is ALL they want to do. They let games consume their lives and then act like little moody assholes anytime they don't get to play them.

I am someone who use to play a TON of games and still would if I had time, but I have seen the effect it has on my teenager and it can easily become an unhealthy addiction for our youth, hell they are trying to make video game addiction an actual medical condition. They have already in some places acknowledged video game withdraws.

Next is the fact this is your MOTHER. She has the ultimate say in what Is acceptable for you until you are 18 or as long as you live under her roof (whichever comes last). Making you give up games means you have more time to focus on your studies, get a hobby, take up sports, plan out your future, learn something useful (like coding), or read. I know it seems unfair now, but in the end she is doing you a favor. TBH, I wish my parents were more concerned with my game playing when I was in my teens. Then again I did play sports and have a healthy social life that took up my time too.

7 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Yeah and compare that to the activities i mentioned. If someone says that to you, you can tell them to piss off online. If you get mixed up with drugs or other IRL drama, pregnancy, crime, fighting, STDs, i think having some asshat on a game tell me to kms is pretty tame. 

I mean if someone tells me to kms over a game id laugh at them pretty hard.