Why do my parents HATE video games?

iKingRPG
Go to solution Solved by AngryBeaver,
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:30 PM, iKingRPG said:

Just because our parents didn't grow up with something means it is bad? My mom sometimes plays like candy crush or something like once a year, but I play a game for 30 minutes and she stops me and makes me read or study. I don't get it. I'm good in school, why are my parents so against games? I get she wants me to spend time with my family but I do and we are far aged apart. I'm not just here to complain about my parents. So I usually don't even play games that long but she recently forbided me from video games. The sad part is I have been using all I have recently to upgrade my PC. She says it ruins our life and only losers play games. She says: "no one I know plays video games. Except (that guy) that eats candy and plays on his phone instead of working." And here I am trying so hard not to be rude so I don't get in trouble. She also hates gaming YouTubers and says they have child minds. RIP me will this have an impact on me? I also mostly play free games because my mom thinks losers spend money on games. I wonder how much she would laugh if she knew espn endorsed Ninja.

It isn't the games they have a problem with. They are how kids these days get completely lost in them and that is ALL they want to do. They let games consume their lives and then act like little moody assholes anytime they don't get to play them.

I am someone who use to play a TON of games and still would if I had time, but I have seen the effect it has on my teenager and it can easily become an unhealthy addiction for our youth, hell they are trying to make video game addiction an actual medical condition. They have already in some places acknowledged video game withdraws.

Next is the fact this is your MOTHER. She has the ultimate say in what Is acceptable for you until you are 18 or as long as you live under her roof (whichever comes last). Making you give up games means you have more time to focus on your studies, get a hobby, take up sports, plan out your future, learn something useful (like coding), or read. I know it seems unfair now, but in the end she is doing you a favor. TBH, I wish my parents were more concerned with my game playing when I was in my teens. Then again I did play sports and have a healthy social life that took up my time too.

11 hours ago, iKingRPG said:

Well I know my mom had a Nintendo for a couple years and my dad grew up in another country and I don't think he had a computer until he was around 18-20 (just guessing). My mom also hates MODERN games more than what she grew up with. I like the kinds of games she grew up with too. I guess most of my life I had access to games since I used to play PC games since I was about 4-5. I love video games, but I am not addicted to them. The whole point of this forum was to find other people who's parents are like this. Of course I love games, I know playing a lot can waste time, which is why I have other hobbies too.

Challenge your mom to a Tetris battle.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

On 11/10/2018 at 5:38 PM, Amazonsucks said:

I would personally tell her "Ok ill go run the streets and do drugs, get someone pregnant(if youre male) or get STDs like tons of others do. Thats better than playing games riiiight? Gets me out of the house, riiight?" 

That shuts them right up every time.

And i wouldnt insult children by saying that gaming youtubers have child minds. I would rather watch spongebob youtube poops than 99% of gaming youtubers. The ytps are more intellectually stimulating and informative.

Don't go to crazy, lol. They're doing it to protect the kid, not to purposely anger them.

Run the classic t.v argument (assuming they watch a fair amount of t.v), as well as making sure they're aware it's a hobby. I'd advise potraying it as a mix between movies/t.v and books (IMO what they are). Has the cinematic experience of the former, with the thought and brain power of the latter.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:23 PM, LinusTech said:

My son probably spends 2-5 hours a week playing games during the winter. Closer to 1-2 in the summer. 

When I'm hooked on something he ends up watching me play sometimes, but I'm finally done BotW so it hasn't been an issue for the last couple weeks haha.... 

Still haven't figured out what will be considered acceptable once he's older. The weird thing is that I parlayed my love of gaming and PCs into a successful career, but I still see it largely as a spectacular waste of time given that the odds of becoming me (or Ninja or whatever else) are pretty slim without also investing significant time into something else - STEM, business skills, etc.. 

IMO absolutely reasonable for kids so young. Games can absolutely be addictive, gotta make sure they get into a good habbit with em.

On 11/11/2018 at 4:16 AM, paddy-stone said:

I do have one thing to add...

Maybe they would be more interested if you suggested a family game night, and either get some suitable games for the PC that you could play together... or buy a used wii/wii-U or similar to play on, from my experience more adults feel unopposed to playing sports/music/trivia type games. And to be honest that is really fun to play as a group... maybe your parents are more opposed to the playing alone aspect of gaming, whereas a family activity where everyone can join in might make them not hate it so much.

Ironically this is probably why I end up being able to play a fair chunk...ah the good old wii sports.

2 hours ago, N1NJ4W4RR10R said:

ah the good old wii sports.

Yup I bought that and them all, plus all the games. Now a days I buy two systems so the kids can play and play and play no matter where they are. Two systems plus the game$. Like any overindulgence, there has got to be balance, otherwise they end up skewed and the problem gets worse in time and is harder and harder to fix them later on in life. Parents have a lifetime of experience, where as the child has a miniscule amount of anything if knoweldge and experience. Parents see the signs of addiction and what unbalances in life can do.

22 hours ago, N1NJ4W4RR10R said:

Don't go to crazy, lol. They're doing it to protect the kid, not to purposely anger them.

Run the classic t.v argument (assuming they watch a fair amount of t.v), as well as making sure they're aware it's a hobby. I'd advise potraying it as a mix between movies/t.v and books (IMO what they are). Has the cinematic experience of the former, with the thought and brain power of the latter.

I realize thats their intention, but what i said is also true. If they create perverse incentives it can lead their kid to doing something far worse than playing videogames. Thats the point i would try to make to a parent.

Plus, if theyre playing a lot of games, youd hope theyre also learning about computers in the process, which can be a very constructive thing. 

If you spend time on computers, you really SHOULD really learn at least the basics of cybersecurity(so you dont get scammed, hacked, malware, lose money, or have your identity stolen) as well as basic PC and networking maintenence so you can keep your computer working, upgrade it etc. 

They could also make a point of explaining how building and maintaining a IT equipment and cybersecurity are useful skills in the modern world.

I remember back when 77,000 Steam accounts were hacked and hijacked each month. I helped a lot of gamers with cybersecurity at that time. I always tried to give them the basic knowledge to help themselves as well, since it can end up saving them thousands of dollars.

Personally, my parents didn't play any video games in their life. So to them, it looks like it's a "kids thing/activity", even though grown-ups play them worldwide. I have to agree with on 1 fact with them that there are better ways to spend your free time. But in my case, my parents themselves just watch Netflix or TV and they don't view that as a problem (time waste) like video games so there's that.

A few  hours a week is fair but a child is supposed to be a child not a "person" working to become an adult.   You can't get that time back.   Find alternative fun things so that they don't want to as much.   

I've been working in a custom loop my daughter asked if she can do that someday :)

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump but...

Most of the people who hate video games spend their time watching Reality TV and meaningless entertainment. In their eyes video games are meaningless. No irony by the way.

OP, do you think your Mom has had a successful career? If so, then her way of thinking might be justified. If not, then well.

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro