Is your PC safe enough from theft?

Hi P

Since this is a tech forum I'd like to focus mainly on the computer (rather than overall home security)

I was just reading a post about a guy who's computer (and place) was stolen.

So I'm curious, do you guys take any anti-theft measurements for your computer?

3 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I have home and contents insurance.

Interesting, so if you ever get robbed, will the insurance cover the full cost of it?

8 minutes ago, Hi P said:

So I'm curious, do you guys take any anti-theft measurements for your computer?

Yeah, my PC is filled with trash that nobody needs. 10/10 security.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

11 minutes ago, Hi P said:

I was just reading a post about a guy who's computer (and place) was stolen.

and place?  What, like they stole the whole house?  How exactly did that happen?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

and place?  What, like they stole the whole house?  How exactly did that happen?

I meant like, other stuff too aside from the PC xD

Just now, Hi P said:

I meant like, other stuff too aside from the PC xD

oh, that makes more sense xD

Well, to answer the question, home insurance would cover the value and full disk encryption should protect the contents.  Then, you just need to recover from a cloud/off-site backup once you get a new system.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I thought perhaps they stole the pc and the trailer home / "manufactured home" ;)

The robbers would have to get between me and my pc and my baseball bat if necessary for defense ;)

14 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

nothing is safe from theft. 

even if i welded my pc to the ground depending on the time the robbers had to steal it they could cut a hole in the top and steal all of the components that way. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say anyone robbing houses doesn't have the brains to take your PC apart for the internals.  They wouldn't know they can, they wouldn't know how, and they wouldn't know why they should or what they're worth.

My computer room was booby trapped. One switch turns on the lights, the other detonates several small incendiary charges placed strategically around the room to ensure that no one has time to figure out which computer has the valuable data on it before they're all fried.

Then my wife went in there one night looking for the remote and hit the wrong switch, and now I don't have computers. Or a wife or dog. It's ok, they survived, but my bank account definitely won't after the divorce. Apparently women don't appreciate being on fire.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

My computer room was booby trapped. One switch turns on the lights, the other detonates several small incendiary charges placed strategically around the room to ensure that no one has time to figure out which computer has the valuable data on it before they're all fried.

Then my wife went in there one night looking for the remote and hit the wrong switch, and now I don't have computers. Or a wife or dog. It's ok, they survived, but my bank account definitely won't after the divorce. Apparently women don't appreciate being on fire.

Using drive encryption is usually more than enough to keep someone from getting into your data, giving a surge current to a system to fry it would damage the internals although someone could take out the hard drive and read data off of the drive's platters directly and get access to the data on it. I guess your approach would make the hardware useless although it does not really destroy the data on the systems and does cause damage to computer hardware so I would not recommend having this setup. I store any important data on my NAS which contains drive encryption software running on it and is kept behind locked doors to prevent someone from having physical access to the hardware with ease and by the time they broke in, the cops would most likely be called already. This is just my setup, although I would at least recommend using some good general practices like encrypting important files and not keeping your computer in not secure areas like leaving it on the table of a coffee shop while you go and get something out of your car or something retaining to that which would give a burglar the chance to steal your physical computer and potentially get access to data on it which you might have been working on or which you have not encrypted.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

47 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Interesting, so if you ever get robbed, will the insurance cover the full cost of it?

yes. thats one of the main reasons you get insurance.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Never tell anyone (in the real world) what you have.

Home insurance. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

My overall home security is what protects it from theft though. Theres even a backup video/audio surveillance system independent from the rest in that room.

You would need to go through 3 doors to get in my current place. Probably break connectors and cables the way case is located and cable managed. Monitors aren't worth it. Keyboard is, so does DAC (but you would need to know things to realize it). Headphones are easiest to grab.Laptop is currently in bit open, but I don't have anything important on it anyway. Home insurance covers everything up to €5000 with €150 min.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ya ever seen Salazar's Revenge?

same as some people above, i too have home insurance. i also have my PC insured seperately.

that being said, im in a position where none of my friends know anything about PC's, and they really don't know how much this stuff is worth ?

Hmm, I should get a PC insurance, I didn't know it was a thing, never heard about such thing in my country

12 hours ago, aezakmi said:

a .45

.50 Cal. ;) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

47 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

.50 Cal. ;) 

.950 JDJ ?