WatchOS 5.1 bricking some Apple Watches

jt999

3 things people probably should try to remember when this happens:

1. as tech gets more and more complicated, interconnected, more and varying uses updates that go wrtong become more and more common.

This means bricking and update failure is not necessarily the result of negligence.  Sometime shit just goes wrong and the cost of the product is moot.

2. Yes it's a pain in thee ass to send something back for repair/replacement.  I've had to do this with an ecodrive watch I brought recently.  twice it had to go back due to manufacturing issues.  But now it's fixed, just because something is electronic (sometimes even more so because it is) or cost a lot of money doesn't mean things aren't going to go wrong, there is no such thing as a perfect flawless product and the more they sell the more you will hear about failures.

3. the only real issue here hasn't actually happened yet, and that is that some customers might be left with a dud product, so far apple haven't dome that and the reports are that they are replacing/fixing the issue.

Which means this thread is an interesting talking piece and raised some great discussion and speculation about what might be the problem, but just like the 2080 failure thread, until you have actual information that says apple aren't honoring their products then that's all it is.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

3 things people probably should try to remember when this happens:

1. as tech gets more and more complicated, interconnected, more and varying uses updates that go wrtong become more and more common.

This means bricking and update failure is not necessarily the result of negligence.  Sometime shit just goes wrong and the cost of the product is moot.

2. Yes it's a pain in thee ass to send something back for repair/replacement.  I've had to do this with an ecodrive watch I brought recently.  twice it had to go back due to manufacturing issues.  But now it's fixed, just because something is electronic (sometimes even more so because it is) or cost a lot of money doesn't mean things aren't going to go wrong, there is no such thing as a perfect flawless product and the more they sell the more you will hear about failures.

3. the only real issue here hasn't actually happened yet, and that is that some customers might be left with a dud product, so far apple haven't dome that and the reports are that they are replacing/fixing the issue.

Which means this thread is an interesting talking piece and raised some great discussion and speculation about what might be the problem, but just like the 2080 failure thread, until you have actual information that says apple aren't honoring their products then that's all it is.

I wouldn't have expected Apple to not deal with it (all Series 4 Watches are still well within warranty), but it's a longwinded process for replacement - I'm looking at 2-3 weeks without it. These things happen, and it's just a watch (although I have to admit, I adore it), just a shame it had to happen to me on so many devices ?

1 minute ago, jt999 said:

I wouldn't have expected Apple to not deal with it (all Series 4 Watches are still well within warranty), but it's a longwinded process for replacement - I'm looking at 2-3 weeks without it. These things happen, and it's just a watch (although I have to admit, I adore it), just a shame it had to happen to me on so many devices ?

My ecodrive took 3 weeks each time it went back.  I feel the pain.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

44 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

No big deal,just buy another $300 watch after apple's update bricked it. It is apple's fault for not providing an update that doesn't break sh*t, then again not that surprising after the "chargegate" mess which was also software bugs.

What's 300$ more when you can afford 1000$+ phones to go with it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

35 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

What's 300$ more when you can afford 1000$+ phones to go with it

True xD If you have a 1,000$+ phone and need the watch buying another isn't a problem. Yeah it happens stuff breaks,sucks to have it bricked from an update but at least Apple took down the update quickly.

I would just buy a second Watch and return it when my original comes back from service.  14 day return policy ftw.  Shit happens, it's a relatively "cheap" consumer product, and Apple is doing what they can to make it right.

I'm still on the fence whether to buy one.  On the one hand it seems functionally pretty cool.  On the other I already have a much more expensive watch, and I'm not sure I really need notifications and shit on my wrist when I pretty much always have my phone within reach anyways.  Maybe just the cheapest variant to use while skiing when using my phone is a pain in the ass (2 layers of gloves and zippered jacket pocket).

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

12 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

just buy another watch. Not apple's fault if you decided to download the update as soon as it got out

Probably one of the most ignorant comments I have read on this forum

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Probably one of the most ignorant comments I have read on this forum

yours gave me gases 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This has pretty much been happening since Series 0. With no real way to wipe and recover the OS without access to Apples Diagnostic Machine there is always the possibility that an update could brick your Watch. Thankfully Apple has a lot of stores and their mail in service with really quick turn around times that have historically fixed this kind of stuff for free. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Also in fairness to people on the smartwatch bandwagon... they are still ludicrously cheaper than the standard 'entry to premium watches'.

Though the Apple Watch needs to about double its time on for me to recommend it to anyone (holding myself to the same standard, the new Galaxy Watch is the first Sammy watch I'd recommend to those interested users as well).

Anyways, ouch. I know efficient design is a pain, but times like this really make you wish these devices had a physical debug port (that was actually used to fix these sorts of issues if it comes up).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Apple have announced affected watches will need returning to be repaired...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46045414

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Though the Apple Watch needs to about double its time on for me to recommend it to anyone (holding myself to the same standard, the new Galaxy Watch is the first Sammy watch I'd recommend to those interested users as well).

Doesn't the new Galaxy Watch also get about three days -- same as the gear S3, a bit more than the gear sport, and about the same as the series 3 and later?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

11 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Anyways, ouch. I know efficient design is a pain, but times like this really make you wish these devices had a physical debug port (that was actually used to fix these sorts of issues if it comes up).

Well it does, however only Apple has the cable to interface with the diagnostic port on the Apple Watch.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

22 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm still on the fence whether to buy one.  On the one hand it seems functionally pretty cool.  On the other I already have a much more expensive watch,

Pun about watches?  I don't have time for these jokes.

26 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Pun about watches?  I don't have time for these jokes.

Damn I didn't even notice but I'm happy to take credit for a good pun!

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 10/31/2018 at 10:17 PM, Sauron said:

What can I tell you? Don't buy from Apple, they are notorious for this sort of thing. Sometimes, their stuff just breaks for a rushed update or a design flaw in the hardware. It's pretty well documented, I think there's a list somewhere - although obviously Apple will do everything in its power to convince you they sell "premium" products with superior design.

LOL! What a joke. 

Evey ofher company’s product has shat itself. Apple products are the only goddamn things that lived. 

22 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

This has pretty much been happening since Series 0. With no real way to wipe and recover the OS without access to Apples Diagnostic Machine there is always the possibility that an update could brick your Watch. Thankfully Apple has a lot of stores and their mail in service with really quick turn around times that have historically fixed this kind of stuff for free. 

Unfortunately not in my country so I can’t risk it lol 

10 minutes ago, TechGod said:

LOL! What a joke. 

Evey ofher company’s product has shat itself. Apple products are the only goddamn things that lived. 

Uhm... that's objectively false. Just open amazon.com and search for "smartwatch".

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Unfortunately not in my country so I can’t risk it lol 

Well they pulled the update so there is nothing to risk anymore. Lol

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well it does, however only Apple has the cable to interface with the diagnostic port on the Apple Watch.  

Thus the actually used part ;)

Youd think they'd let their geniuses do that sort of work for stuff like this. Uploading a OS update/roll back isnt hard.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, 79wjd said:

Doesn't the new Galaxy Watch also get about three days -- same as the gear S3, a bit more than the gear sport, and about the same as the series 3 and later?

The 46mm variant (which I own and use constantly) gets 4-5 days. I charge it every Tuesday and Friday during the day (at work lol) so that I can use it for sleeping (vibrating alarms are the best). 

The 42mm variant gets like 60-84 hours (2.5-3.5 days), and the older ones likewise are better for 2 days than 3. The Series 3 and later still can barely make it 2 days, at best. Apple only rates it for 18 hours, making it always a charge every day device.

2x a week vs every day makes a gigantic difference in usability of various features (like vibrational daily alarms, and sleep recording). Also it means if you forget a day, you aren't wearing a paperweight.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

The 46mm variant (which I own and use constantly) gets 4-5 days. I charge it every Tuesday and Friday during the day so that I can use it for sleeping (vibrating alarms are the best). 

The 42mm variant gets like 60-72 hours (2.5-3 days), and the older ones likewise are better for 2 days than 3. The Series 3 and later still can barely make it 2 days, at best. Apple only rates it for 18 hours, making it always a charge every day device.

2x a week vs every day makes a gigantic difference in usability of various features (like vibrational daily alarms, and sleep recording). Also it means if you forget a day, you aren't wearing a paperweight.

I easily get 3 days out of my series 3 -- same as with the gear S3 and sport that I tested for a couple weeks. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I easily get 3 days out of my series 3 -- same as with the gear S3 and sport that I tested for a couple weeks. 

You are a special one then lol. You can take another look at the rating for the series 3/4, I'm not making that up. I've never had luck getting past 2 days myself.

Here are the official ratings for the 3 and 4.

Apple Watch Series 3:

• Up to 18 hours
  • Talk: 3 hours connected to iPhone
    • 1 hour connected to LTE
  • Workout: Up to 10 hours indoor workout
    • Up to 5 hours outdoor workout with GPS
    • Up to 4 hours outdoor workout with GPS & LTE
    • Up to 3 hours outdoor workout with streaming audio, GPS, and LTE

Apple Watch Series 4:

• Up to 18 hours
  • Talk: 2 hours connected to iPhone
    • Up to 6 hours outdoor workout with GPS
    • Up to 5 hours outdoor workout with GPS & LTE
    • Up to 4 hours outdoor workout with streaming audio, GPS, and LTE

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

6 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

You are a special one then lol. You can take another look at the rating for the series 3/4, I'm not making that up. I've never had luck getting past 2 days myself.

Here are the official ratings for the 3 and 4.

Apple Watch Series 3:

• Up to 18 hours
  • Talk: 3 hours connected to iPhone
    • Up to 5 hours outdoor workout with GPS
    • Up to 4 hours outdoor workout with GPS & LTE
    • Up to 3 hours outdoor workout with streaming audio, GPS, and LTE

Apple Watch Series 4:

• Up to 18 hours
  • Talk: 2 hours connected to iPhone
    • Up to 6 hours outdoor workout with GPS
    • Up to 5 hours outdoor workout with GPS & LTE
    • Up to 4 hours outdoor workout with streaming audio, GPS, and LTE

I know what they're rated for, and they easily last longer. I took my watch off the charger this morning -- 11 hours ago and I'm at 91%.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I know what they're rated for, and they easily last longer. I took my watch off the charger this morning -- 11 hours ago and I'm at 91%.

I don't really know what to say. I've used a Series 3 and have friends that use them, and none of us have managed more than 2 days on it. I'm not sure if its notification settings, always on settings, or use-case changes (workout use maybe?) Honestly not sure.

I guess its good to know that someone does sl well (relatively speaking) with them.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS