WatchOS 5.1 bricking some Apple Watches

jt999

Apple released WatchOS 5.1 yesterday, and for some unlucky customers (including myself) the update appears to have bricked the Watch. Apple have now pulled the update, but as the Watch lacks any kind of DFU mode that a user can enter the customers already affected are somewhat at Apple's mercy.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/30/watchos-5-1-update-bricking-some-apple-watches/

Customers who are affected are seeing their Apple Watches stuck at the Apple logo loading screen after initiating the watchOS 5.1 update. 

It appears affected users have the Apple Watch Series 4, which is the newest Apple Watch that was released in September. 

Some MacRumors readers have said that Apple is going to be shipping out replacement watches for those who have been affected. 
Not all customers who have an Apple Watch Series 4 have had problems installing the watchOS 5.1 update, but as a cautionary measure, it's worthwhile to hold off downloading and installing the software until Apple pushes a fix. Apple has not pulled the watchOS 5.1 update as of yet. 

Update: Apple has temporarily pulled the watchOS 5.1 update. 

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/apple-pulls-watch-os-5-1-update-after-users-report-problems/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/10/30/18045762/apple-watchos-5-1-update-brick-pulled

I understand these things happen, but as a customer I feel that this should have been caught earlier - Apple are aware that the customer has no way to restore software to the Watch, and it needs that extra level of care when releasing updates.

Hopefully Apple deal with it swiftly, I have one of their engineers calling me shortly, although I doubt it'll actually help in this case aside from arranging me sending it in.

2 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Good thing I didn't buy an apple watch lol. Was considering it for a bit.

I'm also glad I didn't buy a Tesla because they could cause an accident.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

If they replace them for free it's not a big deal. If.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Smart ass lol.

Sorry, it was just too damn easy :P 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I'm also glad I didn't buy a Tesla because they could cause an accident.

Can you name another smartwatch that costs over 300$ and was bricked by an update? 'cause I can name quite a few cars from any manufacturer that have been involved in an accident... not that I'm particularly fond of Tesla, but the comparison doesn't really hold.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I'd be surprised if they did.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'd be surprised if they did.

Well, I would expect them to replace at least the ones under warranty - not sure about the older models.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's a big deal for those who use the watch...

If I spent that amount of money on a watch I don't expect not be able to check the time due to a software bug that Apple couldn't be bother testing it enough? 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Well, I would expect them to replace at least the ones under warranty - not sure about the older models.

*tinfoil hat time* they did this to brick the older models to force those people to buy new ones.

Of course, there is no evidence of this. I mean it's not like Apple has a history of degrading performance to "encourage" holdout customers to buy new devices.....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Can you name another smartwatch that costs over 300$ and was bricked by an update? 'cause I can name quite a few cars from any manufacturer that have been involved in an accident... not that I'm particularly fond of Tesla, but the comparison doesn't really hold.

You're making it sound like $300 is a lot for a smartwatch. It's really not. Especially not for a luxury watch. 

I'm not saying the bricking isn't a problem, mind you. 

1 minute ago, Shally said:

It's a big deal for those who use the watch...

If I spent that amount of money on a watch I don't expect not be able to check the time due to a software bug that Apple couldn't be bother testing it enough? 

What can I tell you? Don't buy from Apple, they are notorious for this sort of thing. Sometimes, their stuff just breaks for a rushed update or a design flaw in the hardware. It's pretty well documented, I think there's a list somewhere - although obviously Apple will do everything in its power to convince you they sell "premium" products with superior design.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What can I tell you? Don't buy from Apple, they are notorious for this sort of thing. Sometimes, their stuff just breaks for a rushed update or a design flaw in the hardware. It's pretty well documented, I think there's a list somewhere - although obviously Apple will do everything in its power to convince you they sell "premium" products with superior design.

know that, but a lot of people don't know that and will suffer from this. It's a big deal for those people. And let's be real, if they do issue a replacement it won't be quick which sucks even more.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You're making it sound like $300 is a lot for a smartwatch. It's really not. Especially not for a luxury watch.

There's nothing "luxurious" about a piece of hardware with a rubber band that bricks itself upon updating. 300$ is a lot for a smartwatch because plenty are cheaper.

Even if it weren't, that's the class of product it's placed in and no other comparable watch has this problem. Your comparison with the tesla is invalid.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

just buy another watch. Not apple's fault if you decided to download the update as soon as it got out

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Tesla is the only one where the referral program allows you early access to software updates... targeted at safety critical systems.

8 minutes ago, Shally said:

I see Apple hired Microsoft's QA Manager.

2 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Tesla is the only one where the referral program allows you early access to software updates... targeted at safety critical systems.

This isn't a beta release.

3 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

I see Apple hired Microsoft's QA Manager.

That would be funny if Apple hadn't proved time and again that their updates are just as hit and miss as Microsoft's. Not to mention a botched windows update generally doesn't brick your hardware.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Not to mention a botched windows update generally doesn't brick your hardware.

it only deletes your files :P 

dare i argue that a bricked device that i can still get my data off of is better than losing my files?

She/Her

Just got off of the phone with Apple Support, and whilst they don't appear to be confirming a widespread issue, they are arranging a mail in repair for my Watch. I'm not super happy as they suggest this will take around 10 working days with no real option to speed this up. Apparently even if you go into a store they just send it off.

With it being an OLED screen I have major concerns they'll 'repair' my software, and leave me with a screen that likely has burn in of the bright Apple logo.

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

it only deletes your files :P 

dare i argue that a bricked device that i can still get my data off of is better than losing my files?

Good luck getting any data out of a bricked Apple watch.

To be clear - I'm definitely not defending the file deletion problem. Microsoft should refund people for any lost data.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, jt999 said:

they don't appear to be confirming a widespread issue

They never do unless they get dragged to court or 2 out of 3 devices suffer from it.

4 minutes ago, jt999 said:

With it being an OLED screen I have major concerns they'll 'repair' my software, and leave me with a screen that likely has burn in of the bright Apple logo.

They'll probably substitute the motherboard. It's not too likely to suffer from burn in though, the battery doesn't last more than 3-4 hours with the screen on.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Good luck getting any data out of a bricked Apple watch.

fair point. 

To be clear - I'm definitely not defending the file deletion problem. Microsoft should refund people for any lost data.

or help them to try and get it back somehow. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

or help them to try and get it back somehow. 

The only way is probably to pay for a professional recovery -> refund.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

54 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

just buy another watch. Not apple's fault if you decided to download the update as soon as it got out

No big deal,just buy another $300 watch after apple's update bricked it. It is apple's fault for not providing an update that doesn't break sh*t, then again not that surprising after the "chargegate" mess which was also software bugs.

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

They'll probably substitute the motherboard. It's not too likely to suffer from burn in though, the battery doesn't last more than 3-4 hours with the screen on.

It was sat on a charger the entire time, so probably closer to 15 hours. It's off of the charger now, but as I can't turn it off it'll likely be a few more hours at least.

3 minutes ago, jt999 said:

It was sat on a charger the entire time, so probably closer to 15 hours. It's off of the charger now, but as I can't turn it off it'll likely be a few more hours at least.

That sucks... still, 15h shouldn't be enough to cause significant burn in unless the panel is trash tier.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*