Who uses a paid service for something they could get free?

Beef Boss

Out of pure curiosity, who here pays for something of which you can have access to for free? 

I'm mainly referring to streaming sites, music, videos, anime, or VPN services. 

For instance, I pay for crunchy roll. I don't pay to "pay the content creators," I pay for ease of access to anime. Or music, I pay for ease of access to the songs I like, without ads. 

Do you have anything like this, if so mind sharing why you do? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

I manage my family's Netflix and Stan accounts but I rarely watch it, if at all.

I pay because it keeps them happy and quiet! hahaha.

I use Patreon, yes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

The only paid services that I use when I could use them for free are Discord Nitro and Spotify Premium.

Discord Nitro, mainly because of the added benefits you get from a Nitro subscription, as well as knowing I'm contributing towards keeping their damn servers up. Spotify Premium, because let's be honest, you can't really use Spotify without paying for Premium.

I have the disposable income to pay for both and keep my head far above water, so there's no concern from a financial standpoint.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

59 minutes ago, Netivity said:

I manage my family's Netflix and Stan accounts but I rarely watch it, if at all.

I pay because it keeps them happy and quiet! hahaha.

Netflix is not bad when you find a series has more than 2 seasons and each episode is an hour long. 

1 hour ago, seoz said:

Spotify Premium, because let's be honest, you can't really use Spotify without paying for Premium.

I do. I just hit the skip button when those really loud obnoxious ads play.

>Listening to classical music at 30% volume

>Ad plays at 100% volume, melts your ears... "yo yo yo I'm ya boy whatsitaface the fucking freshest ball dropping mother fucker on the west coast make sure you tune in to Spotify to check out my fucking awesome new album; bitches, hookers, and hos"

>Classical music resumes at 30% volume

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

YouTube Red/Premium because I use Youtube all the time. I use Youtube Music in my car with custom offline playlists. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

I used to pay a Sky subscription for my grandmother when she was still alive.

I also have a Tidal Hi-Fi subscription, i keep thinking about changing to Spotify or Deezer but i just prefer Tidal.  

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I’d like to pay for Motor Trend On-Demand but I can’t :(

lmao who would do that?

that's just plain dumb

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

4 hours ago, veldora said:

Out of pure curiosity, who here pays for something of which you can have access to for free? 

My head goes to dark places for this question :P Paying for something you could get for free... hrm? Anyone else or am I just a bad person.

To answer your question though I pay for my Mums TV subscription for now Tv but I get all my personal Tv free.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

4 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

My head goes to dark places for this question :P Paying for something you could get for free... hrm? Anyone else or am I just a bad person.

To answer your question though I pay for my Mums TV subscription for now Tv but I get all my personal Tv free.

Like a lot of people illegally download movies or music, and stream unreleased shows or movies. Like I have around 2000 CD's of music I paid for. I could have just ripped em from the internet, but I legally paid for these. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

• Spotify Premium
  • Netflix (used to)
  • some tracks on iTunes
  • I sometimes rent movies from YouTube
  • paid antivirus (because I have good experience with it and I like the extra features like parental controls)
  • PrivateVPN -because free or even one time payment VPNs are quite shady. They have an unsustainable business model so they resort to showing ads or even selling personal info to third parties.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 hours ago, veldora said:

Like a lot of people illegally download movies or music, and stream unreleased shows or movies. Like I have around 2000 CD's of music I paid for. I could have just ripped em from the internet, but I legally paid for these. 

Who said anything about pirating, Maybe I don't consume regular TV. There are other services out there for TV that are free and don't require you to sign your life away to watch. The price of Tv is extortionate and I refuse to pay for Tv services when their content is so limited and you have to pay for multiple different services just to get all the shows you want.   

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Steam, Spotify, etc. yes, because the other option is either so obnoxious it's not worth having, or illegal, and that's bad m'kay

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

WOW,  there are in my opinion plenty of hack servers, free alternatives that are just as good (some even better), but hey, you only live once that's why I am making my way through the genuine article.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I pay for litteraly everything that I'm legally obligated to. 

If I want to watxg a movie, hear a piece of music or play a video game I pay for them. 

I also do pay for YouTube Premium, since ads have become a real annoyance since they introduced the service in Denmark.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Google Music (YouTube Red was good additional when it came out) - I was already paying for google music at the time, as downloading and sorting music just took too long.

Games - Steam - Pretty cheap on sale, also being Australia help. I was able to refund majority of games I don't play anymore or ever will.

I try to pay for lifetime access to thing if available such as malwaresbtyes/plex pass. The only thing I pay monthly is online backup and music.

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, Volbet said:

I pay for litteraly everything that I'm legally obligated to. 

If I want to watxg a movie, hear a piece of music or play a video game I pay for them. 

I also do pay for YouTube Premium, since ads have become a real annoyance since they introduced the service in Denmark.

You know Ad blocker's not illegal yeah?

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

crunchyroll, netflix, RoosterTeeth First

there are less legitimate ways to watch some of the content, and sometimes i do fall back onto them if something is not available on the service or available in my country (crunchyroll is terrible with this and VPNs dont help :()

basically i pay for what i can legitimately, but sometimes there's no other choice

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

9 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

You know Ad blocker's not illegal yeah?

But I can't install an adblocker on my TV nor on the YouTube app on my phone. 

YouTube Premium is also fairly priced for what you get.

Also, the legality of an adblocker is contestable, but as far as I know it hasn't been tried in court yet. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

1 minute ago, Volbet said:

But I can't install an adblocker on my TV nor on the YouTube app on my phone. 

YouTube Premium is also fairly priced for what you get.

Also, the legality of an adblockers is contestable, but as far as I know it hasn't been tried in court yet. 

I don't know about all that personally I don't mind ads on youtube the way I see it is they pay for me to watch free content and I'm ok with that. I can understand you not wanting ads though I don't use ad blocker myself.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

12 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I’d like to pay for Motor Trend On-Demand but I can’t :(

I created a system to make MToD worth even more, i subscribe every 3 months, watch the episodes i missed in the timeframe and then cancel the subscription, rinse and repeat.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX