We UPGRADED the $69 Gaming PC and it ROCKS!

James

Should have bought the Xeon equivalent of the Core 2 Quad since they are usually cheaper.

But then again, they're probably just lying around in the box of CPUs.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Should have bought the Xeon equivalent of the Core 2 Quad since they are usually cheaper.

But then again, they're probably just lying around in the box of CPUs.

Dell BIOS locks Xeons in Optiplex models (usually). Trust me, I've tried.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Nicely done, fun to watch. After doing way too many Opti 7XX to gamer conversions, I have a few thoughts:

• Dell makes/made brackets for DT models up until the X80 series that serve as PCIe risers and let you install a full-height GPU without cutting the case. Very useful and would have helped you avoid slicing and dicing, although I usually end up Dremeling out the parallel port to make everything fit.
  • The venerable Q6600 is significantly better bang for the buck than the 9550. A $10 Q6600 and $.00003 worth of electrical tape gets you a quad core processor running at 3.0GHz. That extra $20 can buy the 120GB SSD or free up a little room for extra RAM.
  • The DDR3 Optiplex models, like the 780, are much more forgiving of mismatched RAM than their DDR2 predecessors were. Given that all Core 2 Optiplex systems except the X80 used DDR2, that warning about RAM compatibility was still good to see.

11 hours ago, squazz said:

Is there a list somewhere of cheap business machines that use standard motherboards?

I don't think those cheap sff machines use *-atx motherboard

well...

First you need to upgrade the GPU so that games run well. But that'll be bottlenecked by the old CPU, so then you need to upgrade that. But then you'll need a new motherboard that supports better RAM and the new CPU that you're getting. But then you need a new PSU and cooler for the CPU. soooo, yea

I don't even know that point I was trying to make

7 hours ago, rad1game said:

Did you tried to buy lga 771 xeon with the adapter to lga 775?

You have to get custom bios for it, but it's cheap and you can avoid CPU bottleneck...

You have to try it. 

And check this thread also: https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex-Desktops/745-CPU-upgrade-to-Xeon/td-p/6056641

It's not really practical for the average person buying one of these to game on, though. BIOS mods are never a sure thing, and if someone spends $30-50 on an ancient Optiplex then bricks it and their total budget is $150 or less, RIP dreams of a gaming PC. It's best just to stick with what the OEM will allow in the scenario Linus is envisioning for this build.

14 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

It's not really practical for the average person buying one of these to game on, though. BIOS mods are never a sure thing, and if someone spends $30-50 on an ancient Optiplex then bricks it and their total budget is $150 or less, RIP dreams of a gaming PC. It's best just to stick with what the OEM will allow in the scenario Linus is envisioning for this build.

Oh, well, if the question about to keep it "oem", there is nothing to do.

But I think average LTT subscriber can do it easy :)

I think it would be cool to see a custom Sandy Bridge System for under 200 or so. I built one for 300 but it had newer parts in it for the sake of having nice parts that look aesthetically nice and won't fail on me.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

The easiest way to OC on the Optiplex is to get urself a Q6600 and do the pinblanking method with some tape, forces the CPU to run at 3ghz instead of the usual 2.4ghz.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

21 hours ago, TwentyOnePenguins said:

I agree, and looking back at it, I should clarify a few things:

Space is a thing, and the SFF models are in that regard more efficient. And the amount of HDD mounts really depend on the model, the HP ones you mentioned supports 2 HDDs, while some dell models don't. 

And about the graphics card, if you are buying a system like this, in my mind you really don't have the luxury of picking a specific card, and in that regard going with a PC that supports full hight cards would be an advantage... And in my experience, you are more likely to find a full hight card then a LP one.

Although, spending a little more on a ATX based pc (Optiplex 790 for example) instead of a BTX like the one in the video does really pay off.

With that said, I don't have anything against SFF machines, I own a few myself, and I'd really like to have a Optiplex 780 SFF!

Indeed it is usually easier to find a full size card, and for that reason the LP models on used websites usually sell for ~$20 more, and I have to admit, spending a bit more now to for a better upgrade path later can be nice. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

6 hours ago, thedude4bides said:

Anyone have the cliff notes on the upgrades?  Can't watch a 17 min vid right now...

1. Buy Optiplex 755 or later

2. Upgrade to Core 2 Quad

3. Add appropriate GPU

4. Add RAM

5. ????

6. Game!

40 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

3. Add appropriate GPU

4. Add RAM

5. ????

6. Game!

Isn't it amazing how a 14-year-old platform is still relevant for gaming? Next year LGA775 will celebrate its 15th birthday.

Just now, selecadm said:

Isn't it amazing how a 14-year-old platform is still relevant for gaming? Next year LGA775 will celebrate its 15th birthday.

I'm just now finishing the process of weaning myself off of it. I don't have any LGA 775 PCs left in regular use (and am working on selling off four of them). LGA 1155 has taken its place, and only because cheap Optiplex X90s are falling from the sky lately.

I take it back, I do have one LGA 775-ish computer left: my ThinkPad X61 "Chromebook"

14 hours ago, selecadm said:

... basically any "new" Intel CPU is 15 years old. there is close to none difference between Core2Quad and any Intel i5/i7..., and that's why I'm so fucking salty talking about Intel...

17 hours ago, aisle9 said:

3. Add appropriate GPU

4. Add RAM

5. ????

6. Game!

Thanks, my friend.

Sounds like it was more of a do-over than an upgrade...

How's the stock dell cooler coping with that high TDP cpu? How's the fan noise?

Hi Guys, first time poster.

I'm considering a X5460 with a LGA771 to 775 mod instead of the Q9550 any thoughts suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Ryan

Is the q9650 processor not working, or the qx9650 extreme series? was not specified in the video.
The price of q9650 and q9550 are very similar in Brazil, so if possible you would be with the best if it is compatible.
Thank you and sorry if English is not one hundred percent sure :)

Model: Dell Optiplex 380 Desktop

• 2 weeks later...

so i built my pc around 2014 if im not wrong.. 

i had Gigabyte FM2+ motherboard

1TB  HDD Seagate 7200RPM

AMD A10 Kaveri 4.1 Ghz

then 6 month later i got a RX480 4Gigs.+ 550W venomRX PSU

got it;s ram to 12 Gigs (originally 4 gigs)..Vgen 4 GB 1600Mhz + Team 8 GB 1600 Mhz 

runs GTA V, The Witcher 3, dragon age inquisition 39-45 FPS.. but often drops below 25..also loading time is really grinding my gears!

right now i want to upgrade my PC to today's gen.. what do you think i should change?

budget is like US$ 200-300

On 10/31/2018 at 6:38 AM, Joe5985 said:

I don't think those cheap sff machines use *-atx motherboard 

Dunno but I know the ones I saw, at the cush gravy train office had the gov't employees on some small pc's with a power brick attached to them. Good ready made "portable" pc, if you know what your doing, say dc/ac converter ;) might as well skip the brick all together, see whats coming out of that brick, and build to suit.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:24 PM, HimymCZe said:

Linus "trash" corner

Happened long ago my friend

Oh wait, you were talking about something else

gotcha

One thing to add is where is the list of components for this $69 African peso machine?

And if its $69 African peso's then why is the video titled $150 African peso dollars?

I think the laziness is at its max now LOL

Used to be a bunch of kickback bribe links in them posts.

1954256520_ScreenShot2018-11-25at12_56_51PM.png.5c0e7ab6f8027d992a08b963f9517fd4.png

Damn.

My current code projects

--------------------------------

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

------------------------------

• My dreadful receiver ( a capacitor blew ) 
  • working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

If you want any software made, or stuff to be repaired give me an email! 
    mike.fernandez5138699@gmail.com