We UPGRADED the $69 Gaming PC and it ROCKS!

James

I’m pumped to watch this one after work

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

kinda sad when you find your daily driver in Linus "trash" corner... :(

btw. *YOU FORGET TO OVERCLOCK !!!* back then chip weren't locked.

(fyi. I bought E8200+8800GT in ~2008; upgrade to Q9550+750TI for almost nothing;OC to 3,6-3,8Ghz == till these days its as good as any "new" i5.)
wanted to buy i9, cause that was THE FIRST Intel chip in ~12 years, that would be an upgrade; but can't really justify $99999 price tag. Prolly wait another few month with BSODs to new 7nm Ryzens ;)

This computer has the same amount of RAM and SSD (at the end) as the new MacBook Air.

Fun fact .. me and my father just bought a Optiplex set today from Amazon for our workshop CnC machine. We need an old LGA 775 PC specificaly for the parralel port.

It includes.

19" 16:9 monitor, mouse, keyboard , Q8400, GT 710 2GB GDDR5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD with Windows 10 (+our own old 128gb SSD) for £175. (Going to remove W10 and put in W7)

Now granted the GT710 isnt the best bang for buck, infact its pants , but its ALOT better than the onboard crap the optiplex usualy runs with and can infact play games ,all be it at lowest settings 720p.

We could have built a system with better GPU if we went through ebay, but my father didnt want to bother with that and just wanted a PC delivered that worked of the bat, and its not going to be running games so meh.And tbh the price is great for a system that includes the periferals considering a refurbished monitor on its own can cost like £50 on amazon.

I think for those on an extreme budget, like maybe a student. Buying and upgrading an old optiplex for under £200 is most certainly a good way to go.

its just a shame that the Dell motherboard wont accept extreme edition CPU's .. My old QX6850 could have been of use.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

... the 750 ti and 1050 ti are available in half height variants (or low profile) 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

It's fine to think you're only spending $120 today, but come 6 months or 12 months down the road when you want to play the latest hot release and learn that your system is "inadequate". Then you're at the point of either getting into the upgrade spiral of spending yet more to upgrade every component to the point where you would have been better off just using that money to buy a new system.

Factor in as well that buying used might not mean your bargain box actually lasts 6 or 12 months - it could break or fail at any moment, no warranty, no return.

Or you could just save yourself the hassle and spend more wisely up front to buy a better system that won't be a clunker 12 months down the road.

I can understand kids looking at every $100 they scrape together, but it just doesn't get you ahead in the long run. You've gotta pay to play!

If you really want a optiplex, get a minitower, they can actually fit full height graphics cards, standard psus and harddrives. But hey, Linus and old dells are a very satisfying combination... 

(plz do more)

16 minutes ago, TwentyOnePenguins said:

If you really want a optiplex, get a minitower, they can actually fit full height graphics cards, standard psus and harddrives.

Well... That depends on your budget often times the ATX towers are at least $20-$30 more than the SFF models, and an lp 1050/1050ti cost about as much as a full size one, (though the 750 ti lp models cost more esp. if you get them used due to how scarce they are.)  And the SFF models can still support the full size drives (my Compaq 8200 Elite SFF support 2 3.5" HDDs), and these are old computers anyway so you don't need anything faster than a GTX 1050/1050ti, or an RX 560,  which are power efficient enough that a new PSU is often not necessary. So, to put it simply don't be so quick write off the SFF machines as they are more space efficient, and cheaper, while still retaining plenty of expandability. 

16 minutes ago, TwentyOnePenguins said:

(plz do more)

I concur! 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 hours ago, HimymCZe said:

btw. *YOU FORGET TO OVERCLOCK !!!* back then chip weren't locked.

Maybe, he  does have a small window of power, but it's risky business... Esp with a 10 year old PSU and a 75 watt GPU.

22 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Maybe, he  does have a small window of power, but it's risky business... Esp with a 10 year old PSU and a 75 watt GPU.

OC 750TI aint get much... ~2-3fps... but you can OC CPU A LOT... I'm currently running 29% OC, and I prolly could get more, but my mb/ram dont like that many Mhz bus. 
fyi. stock q9550 = 8,5 x 333 Mhz
  im now stable at 8,5 x 430 Mhz 
    i could go up to 8,5 x 450 Mhz, but system (in like 99% of times) BSOD on start with memory_management issue, going over 450 system wont start at all. 

if anyone wanna more info, Q9550(8,5x430Mhz);4x2GB ADATA Extereme CL4;Asus P5KC(newest bios:1203);cooled by Seidon120V2 even on hot day <66C.

3 minutes ago, HimymCZe said:

OC 750TI aint get much... ~2-3fps... but you can OC CPU A LOT... I'm currently running 29% OC, and I prolly could get more, but my mb/ram dont like that many Mhz bus. 
fyi. stock q9550 = 8,5 x 333 Mhz
  im now stable at 8,5 x 430 Mhz 
    i could go up to 8,5 x 450 Mhz, but system (in like 99% of times) BSOD on start with memory_management issue, going over 450 system wont start at all. 

if anyone wanna more info, Q9550(8,5x430Mhz);4x2GB ADATA Extereme CL4;Asus P5KC(newest bios:1203);cooled by Seidon120V2 even on hot day <66C.

I am not saying that you can't OC it, I am just saying that you got to be careful in this build, as Linus'es current build has a 10 year old 250 watt PSU, a 75 watt GPU, and the rest of the PC to power, if he pushes it too far, sooner or later it may catch on fire.

1 minute ago, Speed Weed said:

69!

Let's do $420 blaze it rig next. 

$420 would be easy... Pentium 2C/4T + any GPU in price range... or watch scrapyardwars

1 minute ago, HimymCZe said:

$420 would be easy... Pentium 2C/4T + any GPU in price range... or watch scrapyardwars

i7 3770 + RX 580/ GTX 1060

actually, the $69 machine video was kind of useless for most people since it requires cutting the case.

try to find an old tower machine would be a better choice.

Recently, I just give my hp 6300 sff a brand-new gt1030 D5LP. Kind of cost too much but I need it to reduce the workload on my 2700k since I run this machine 24*7. At the time it was the best choice from 70cad 750tiLP + unknown traffic cost to 40km away, 99.99+tax 1030d5, and around 180+tax 1050lp.

Looking for methods to upgrade the stupid HP customized CPU cooler. The temperature is 5°C less but still sits at 50°C plus light to medium load.

BTW, a pci-e extend cable to put the full-height graphics card in the 5.25 bay might be a more reachable option. But the vibration would be a problem.

BTW, there are 750ti lp cards exists but really rare.

5 minutes ago, Joe5985 said:

actually, the $69 machine video was kind of useless for most people since it requires cutting the case.

try to find an old tower machine would be a better choice.

Or LTT could have just recommend that they purchase an LP card such as the 750ti lp that you mentioned, or the 1030 or the 1050/1050ti variants, that are still available for about as much as a standard size GPU. (Peoples take note, if you want a 1050/1050 ti and plan to resell it in 2 to 3 years get an LP model as they have better resale value.)

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well... That depends on your budget often times the ATX towers are at least $20-$30 more than the SFF models, and an lp 1050/1050ti cost about as much as a full size one, (though the 750 ti lp models cost more esp. if you get them used due to how scarce they are.)  And the SFF models can still support the full size drives (my Compaq 8200 Elite SFF support 2 3.5" HDDs), and these are old computers anyway so you don't need anything faster than a GTX 1050/1050ti, or an RX 560,  which are power efficient enough that a new PSU is often not necessary. So, to put it simply don't be so quick write off the SFF machines as they are more space efficient, and cheaper, while still retaining plenty of expandability. 

I concur! 

I agree, and looking back at it, I should clarify a few things:

Space is a thing, and the SFF models are in that regard more efficient. And the amount of HDD mounts really depend on the model, the HP ones you mentioned supports 2 HDDs, while some dell models don't. 

And about the graphics card, if you are buying a system like this, in my mind you really don't have the luxury of picking a specific card, and in that regard going with a PC that supports full hight cards would be an advantage... And in my experience, you are more likely to find a full hight card then a LP one.

Although, spending a little more on a ATX based pc (Optiplex 790 for example) instead of a BTX like the one in the video does really pay off.

With that said, I don't have anything against SFF machines, I own a few myself, and I'd really like to have a Optiplex 780 SFF!

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Or LTT could have just recommend that they purchase an LP card such as the 750ti lp that you mentioned, or the 1030 or the 1050/1050ti variants, that are still available for about as much as a standard size GPU. (Peoples take note, if you want a 1050/1050 ti and plan to resell it in 2 to 3 years get an LP model as they have better resale value.)

750ti LP is a f****** legendary reward in local second-hand market...

1050 should be the best performance/price LP card with sustain supply

5 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

I’m pumped to watch this one after work

I'm not, but it is an interesting idea if only lmg staff would write out a synopsis for the video. Oh well.

5 hours ago, emosun said:

brucie been juicing again 

I assume Bruce is the new guy on the left, fisting Linus ;)

4 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Solution: Dump Windows 10, it's leeching off of you, you'll feel so much better without it in your life ;)

Everyone should dump Windows 10, but they can not, then everyone will feel much better in their life ;)

I just want to say this here because I know nobody reads the yt comments. Probably make the video seem different from the old $69 pc by looking at the thumbnail. I kept seeing and not clicking because I thought it was just the old video.

Is there a list somewhere of cheap business machines that use standard motherboards?