Samsung launches the Galaxy A9 2018, with 4 rear cameras

D13H4RD

6DB48F2D-D06A-49A7-9975-84E4A6F22BDE.jpeg.2f22e446db3f03622da6bf6e2686cbe2.jpeg

Yes, you read that right. 4 rear cameras.

We’ll talk about those later, but first, let’s talk about the specs.

Spoiler

SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 660

CPU: Quad-core Kryo 260 @ 2.2GHz (Performance) + 1.7GHz Kryo 260 @ 1.8GHz (Efficiency)

GPU: Adreno 512

RAM: 6/8GB LPDDR4

Storage: 128GB internal, microSDXC compatible

Display: 2220x1080 6.3” “Infinity Display” OLED panel 

Main cameras: 24MP sensor w/ f/1.7 aperture (main), 8MP sensor w/ f/2.4 aperture (wide), 10MP sensor w/ f/2.4 aperture (zoom), 5MP sensor w/ f/2.2 aperture (depth)

Front camera: 24MP sensor w/ f/2 aperture

Battery: 3800mAh sealed unit w/ QC 2.0 support

Software: Android Oreo w/ Samsung Experience UX

Now with that out of the way, exactly what’s the headline about those cameras?

Well, it seems that the name is in versatility. Much like the higher-end LG V40, Samsung’s implementation seems to be about giving the user a wider degree of focal length ranges, ranging from a 12mm equivalent to a 2x equivalent optical zoom. 

2A2934A3-3570-45AD-874E-85E8DA5D3958.jpeg.82ad9628b01e2e957ad62e678edb3172.jpeg

The main camera is a 24MP CMOS sensor which has phase-detection autofocus, packed behind a lens with an f/1.7 aperture. This is complemented by a wide-angle module, which has a lower resolution and likely smaller 8MP CMOS sensor packed behind a lens with an f/2.4 aperture with a 12mm equivalent focal length. Another one is a zoom camera module, which has a 10MP sensor behind a lens with an f/2.4 aperture and a 2x equivalent zoom versus the main sensor. The last one is just a dedicated 5MP depth module, behind a lens with an f/2.2 aperture. As for the front, it’s a really high 24MP resolution sensor with an f/2 aperture.

The tele camera offers 2x optical zoom over the main camera and captures 10MP images. The main camera is a 24MP shooter with a bright f/1.7 lens, suitable for daylight and nighttime shots.

The 120° ultra-wide angle camera sports an 8MP sensor. The Intelligent Scene Optimizer is an AI that automatically adjusts the camera settings based on the scene. Finally, there’s a 5MP depth sensor for shots with artificial bokeh.

Source: GSMArena

Other than the cameras, the phone is mostly your typical run-of-the-mill midrange phone designed for Asian markets. It’s powered by a Snapdragon 660 SoC mated to 6/8GB of memory and 128GB of internal storage with a microSDXC slot that can hold the largest current available SD card, which is 512GB. It also has a relatively large battery at 3800mAh and keeps the headphone jack.

No pricing is announced yet and it is available in select markets next month.

D13H4RD’s opinion 

Well, I can’t help but be a little “meh” at this.

Don’t get me wrong. I like what Samsung and LG are doing in terms of making multi-camera setups more flexible in terms of usability, but I feel that the dedicated depth sensor is a bit of a missed opportunity. I’ve longed for other manufacturers to basically go with a monochrome secondary like Huawei has done. However, nearly everyone else who tried ended up with miserable results. I was hoping some of the bigger companies could tackle it as it does actually somewhat help in regular photo-taking, but it seems that only Huawei is interested in continuing it.

Other than that, it looks like a typical upper-midranger, although don’t expect great things out of its camera despite the 24MP resolution. It’ll likely perform worse than the Galaxy S9 despite the S9’s camera being at half the resolution.

The fact that it has a boatload of RAM and storage (almost matching the Note9) and the presence of a FFC that has a much higher resolution than most flagships even should tell you the type of market they’re targeting with this phone. Hint: It’s not you and me.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

All I can say is I am glad wide angle is finally hitting more main stream. HTC has done it but more times than not wide angle is more important than zoom. 

Not sure what the depth camera is for, even if just for bokeh

I guess adding multiple really bad cameras to formulate a decent photo is a lot cheaper than using 2 really good cameras and using AI on board to take a great photo.....I mean at least OEMs are doing something unique for once and not coping the market leader/trend setter. 

It certainly is a mid-range phone though. If it’s display is flat that is one thing going for it over Samsung’s flagships. Lol

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Still no macro lens!

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

ok i don't know the mobile tech as well, can someone explain how good the cpu and gpu are here? Also is that curved glass by the edge or is it flat across?

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I guess adding multiple really bad cameras to formulate a decent photo is a lot cheaper than using 2 really good cameras and using AI on board to take a great photo

You do realize AI cannot just fill in imaged that a wide angle would capture? Its not fucking magic

Question is, how will vloggers who use their phone respond to this? Most mobile vloggers user their phone, so I wonder how they will utilize this. 

A mid-range Samsung phone has more cameras than its flagship. I guess the next Samsung S10 will have three front cameras and five rear cameras. Mark my words. :)

BTW. usually my prediction is wrong.

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

You do realize AI cannot just fill in imaged that a wide angle would capture? Its not fucking magic

You could just make your main camera wider angle.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DVA said:

Question is, how will vloggers who use their phone respond to this? Most mobile vloggers user their phone, so I wonder how they will utilize this. 

But they use the front cameras? Even then why would it matter to vloggers?

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I guess adding multiple really bad cameras to formulate a decent photo is a lot cheaper than using 2 really good cameras and using AI on board to take a great photo.....I mean at least OEMs are doing something unique for once and not coping the market leader/trend setter. 

Except these don’t make the end results better. It’s not like Huawei where the data from the secondary monochrome camera is actively being used to improve the final output. The wide-angle and zoom modules act as independent units for a wider range of focal lengths.

The only one that is actively utilized is the depth sensor 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

But they use the front cameras? Even then why would it matter to vloggers?

Some don't always use the front, they show their viewpoint using the rear camera for certain areas/showing the audience and so on. 

It matters because of different angles/ratios/depth. I'm not even sure if these other cameras will having video capabilities though I am thinking it must or they'd have havoc from consumers. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

But if you do it right like Google is doing using one AI in all phones, including older phones, is much better than having to produce a more expensive lens on each phone. I think...

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Not so easy. The one thing to overcome with wider focal lengths is barrel distortion among other things.

Notice how most phones with wide angle camera modules use smaller, lower resolution sensors. That’s the compromise 

I just dont see the point to having so many cameras. I'd probably never bu-

35 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

and keeps the headphone jack.

Image result for i'll take 20

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, DVA said:

I'm not even sure if these other cameras will having video capabilities though

This isnt a 1/2 gen iphone that only takes stills. They will have video recording. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

This isnt a 1/2 gen iphone that only takes stills. They will have video recording. 

So then you basically answered your own question on why it would matter for vloggers. 

Different cameras with different angles/ratios/views for the audience. Sheesh lol

8 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Ok but wide lens distort and even correction is noticeable along with loss of detail. 

Then why do people like wide angle?

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Perspective

If you’re capturing cityscapes or similar shots, it delivers a more aesthically pleasing result.

People also like it because it’s different and arguably more versatile 

Can't wait for the Note 10 with 10 different lenses and the remainder of the back is just one giant CMOS sensor.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, DVA said:

So then you basically answered your own question on why it would matter for vloggers. 

Different cameras with different angles/ratios/views for the audience. Sheesh lol

Wait so me answering your question is actually me answering my question on what?

I guess I just dont understand why vloggers are the first that come to mind with any smartphone really. In 2018 I dont know why anyone would question if the camera records video. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Certain shots are better in wide angle.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Perspective

If you’re capturing cityscapes or similar shots, it delivers a more aesthically pleasing result.

People also like it because it’s different and arguably more versatile 

Way more versatile. I mean look at the amount of shot people take indoors with a subject less than 5 feet away where a wide angle will allow you to capture much more without the need to use software like panorama or need to use a slower shutter speed.