Sony Confirms It's Working On PS5

Shreyas1
1 hour ago, S w a t s o n said:

Could be that switch competitor rumored in the Nintendo thread but the guy called it next generation hardware which sounds more like a PS5 than a new playstation portable

Next-gen PS Vita could actually be designed to be the continuation of the PS4. If it kept enough of the same structure to be able to run them native-ish at 900p, that'd allow for both new handheld games along with the entire PS4 catalog.

Wow, that idea is really good. Being able to instantly take the PS4 catalog and put it on a "new" launch would provide the largest launch library in history.

As for the PS5, it'll be Zen cores with a Navi GPU. Jaguar cores were "light" by x86 standards, but they were still the entire instruction set. The PS5 should be able to migrate the PS4 titles without too much trouble, but the main thing will be opening up 4k/60 within the power envelop they'll have. 

as long as I can play games on a computer.. i'll probably just use a computer. it's more convieient anyways. one place to work and play. And If I want to do something in the living room I can just stream to the living room...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

keyboard and mouse compatible? please Sony?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

8 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

keyboard and mouse compatible? please Sony?

get a PC

IBM hasn't released the PC 2 yet so it's pretty good imo

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I could honestly see Sony pulling a Nintendo by making a hybrid to compete it would be tough with Nintendo already having a jump on them and whenever they challenged them with handhelds they lost though the PSP did perform decently and both the PSP and Vita were good systems in their own right.  Thing is in their HQ country of Japan the size of the portability market cannot be understated so I would not be surprised to see them trying to cash in and swoop in on some of that dough especially if they counter the current Switch with something more powerful than Ninty might have a problem on their hands if they don't respond with a Super Switch or the like. 

36 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

get a PC

IBM hasn't released the PC 2 yet so it's pretty good imo

PC 2: Electric Boogaloo 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

If they call it the PS4 Pro Deluxe and it's not compaitble it's still effectively the playstation 5. im not here to argue over what they name it.

The difference is that the PS4 PRO DELUXE, called Playstation 5 is basically still a Playstation 4 with a modernized APU.

They keep the OS (maybe change a bit here and there), they keep the basic architecture with the ARM SOC and replace the 8GiB GDDR5 with at least 16, better 32GiB GDDR6 and an APU based on Ryzen and NAVI (maybe VEGA). 

But most of the PS4 stuff stil runs, it feels like a PS4, only faster.

And to be honest: Why shouldn't they? 

But its also possible that they will make some changes and get rid of the ARM SOC and use the Integrated I/O Stuff that AMD could offer.

The best thing would be an M.2 Slot that supports both S-ATA and PCIe (or only PCIe)...

I very much doubt they would put anything with HBM2 into a consumer device and I do not believe they would make a switch competitor that was a PS5. Sony will keep their mobile line seperate

They might use HBM2 in a mobile version with a 4 Core (maybe 8 Thread) Ryzen CPU with a VEGA12 GPU, wich should be pretty close to the original PS4, maybe a bit faster even.

Although rather they might use the low pinout "Low Cost HBM2", that doesn't need an Interposer...

Why HBM2? because of Size restrictions and Bandwith Requirements...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I loved my original psp. The vita never really clicked with me so I sold it and went back to the psp.

6 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

They also said to not call it the "PS5" which I feel indicates that this may just be another refresh, or maybe just a mobile version of the PS4 with some enhanced hardware. 

I swear to Jeebus if they make it the Sony Switch I'm flipping my desk.

If it's a tablet it would have to be a streaming device and good luck with that this is just not feasible, not even because of latency but because ISPs in America for example would basically fucking kill it with throttling unless Sony is ready to bribe ISPs heavily.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And smartphone manufacturers are working on a new smartphone xD

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 10/9/2018 at 4:49 PM, Blackie Sheen said:

Honestly , I wish exclusives were not a thing. I am a great fan of the games that Naughty dog produces such as the Uncharted series but it would not make sense to purchase a PS4 for it. I'd buy one but would just end up selling it after playing the games that interest me which is just dumb in my opinion

I'm pretty sure that's the reason why a console exists. There is less reason to make dedicated consoles nowadays though, in the ways games are being developed and produced. Gone are the days of Cell/Xenon/EmotionEngine where a console would make sense due to dedicated hardware.

I would like it if I could buy the IP license for these processors though. I'd slap them onto an FPGA and play with them all day.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

1 hour ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

I'm pretty sure that's the reason why a console exists. There is less reason to make dedicated consoles nowadays though, in the ways games are being developed and produced. Gone are the days of Cell/Xenon/EmotionEngine where a console would make sense due to dedicated hardware.

I would like it if I could buy the IP license for these processors though. I'd slap them onto an FPGA and play with them all day.

Well, I would still argue that if you are on the market for a new gaming system on the cheap, consoles are still the way to go

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

7 minutes ago, Blackie Sheen said:

Well, I would still argue that if you are on the market for a new gaming system on the cheap, consoles are still the way to go

If you keep a lookout, there can be some pretty good deals on consoles, especially in the months leading up to December.

I’m at the stage where competitive and online multiplayer I use my PC. If I’m just relaxing and don’t care, I use the Xbox.

I did buy a Steam Link back in the day, I still have it but between controller support and lag in a lot of game, I gave it up. Especially nowadays I’m not even using Steam for a lot my games, most of my time is spent in Blizzard App and uPlay.

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

If you keep a lookout, there can be some pretty good deals on consoles, especially in the months leading up to December.

I’m at the stage where competitive and online multiplayer I use my PC. If I’m just relaxing and don’t care, I use the Xbox.

I did buy a Steam Link back in the day, I still have it but between controller support and lag in a lot of game, I gave it up. Especially nowadays I’m not even using Steam for a lot my games, most of my time is spent in Blizzard App and uPlay.

Well the thing is that I am a student. Even though I have a very potent amount of money in the bank, I dont know if I want to splurge for a console and only enjoy it for some time and then sell it. We'll see...

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

it should release fall of 2021, so 3 years from now.

Jesus 3 years in tech years is like 100 normal years, by then RTX 2080ti will be obsolete and there will be a "iphone z" *trademark pending* .

3 hours ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

a) yes, because the other processors fell behind Intel and AMD in terms of power/watt 

b) the XBox 360 has shown us that a unified memory model is superior in terms of cost and flexibility. Because the 360 had a unified pool at the graphics card, CPU connected to the CPU the old way. And an AMD (ATi) GPU. This has proven to be superior to the Architecture of the other side. And also Nintendo used AMD Hardware at the time.

c) Xenon wasn't that special and was one of the projects that ATi was working on and there were many rumors about this "R500 GPU" but scrapped for whatever reason....

And it was the first GPU that came to the market to feature unified Shader. The next time we saw that was when the DX10 Bunch was released...

The CineFX Architecture that the G7x variant that was used on the other side used, was still crap and had also its problems. Might be one of the reasons why the 360 was so much better at the time...

And because of the Problems they had at the time, Sony might also went with an AMD Solution - and was proven right...

3 hours ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Well, the 360 Processor was just a standard in Order Power PC that was clocked very highly and also had SMT.

Do you mean that CPU or are you more talking about the Cell stuff that Sony used for whatever reason. Combined with RAMBUS XDR Memory...

6 minutes ago, asus killer said:

it should release fall of 2021, so 3 years from now.

Jesus 3 years in tech years is like 100 normal years, by then RTX 2080ti will be obsolete and there will be a "iphone z" *trademark pending* .

The big stationary console, yes, of course.

The mobile one that was also talked about a while back, that might come way sooner.

AS for the Switch:
That one uses a pretty Standard Tegra Chip that has a rather high TDP of 15W.

Would be interesting to see how it compares to a Ryzen 2700U.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I remember when the console generations were pretty spaced out. Either time is going by faster or it seems like the console are coming out almost just as frequently as when you'd want to upgrade GPUs. Don't see myself ever returning to console because of this.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Wondering if it's gonna be using the AMD 7nm chips.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

I remember when the console generations were pretty spaced out. Either time is going by faster or it seems like the console are coming out almost just as frequently as when you'd want to upgrade GPUs. Don't see myself ever returning to console because of this.

now console generations last way longer than in the past. Between NES and SNES it took Nintendo 6 years. And 3 years between launch of Master System and Mega Drive for Sega. For example.

14 minutes ago, asus killer said:

now console generations last way longer than in the past. Between NES and SNES it took Nintendo 6 years. And 3 years between launch of Master System and Mega Drive for Sega. For example.

It's probably because the R&D for these consoles are so expensive and that they only making money on software sales. So it makes sense to keep the generation lasting longer, leading to more software being available and more sales as a result.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:22 PM, Arika S said:

Dude shut up

No u

9 hours ago, williamcll said:

Wondering if it's gonna be using the AMD 7nm chips.

looking at the time frame of 2020-2021 for the PS5 and Xbox Gen4 it should be 7nm and if it isn't they messed up big time.

a BIG limiting factor in consoles is power and heat, and 7nm would give a huge amount of head room over 14nm.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

18 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

At this point, consoles might turn into an FPGA system, where developers send us the CPU IP required to run our games from time to time. It will be much more cost effective than having to produce chips over and over again.

I remember something long the lines of an FPGABoy (GameBoy architecture on an FPGA + additional IP) being experimented with. Luke also reviewed an NES emulator , where the emulator is implemented on an FPGA (because the NES IP isn't available)  where the NES IP was reverse-engineered and implemented on an FPGA plus some additional features.

Link:

http://fpgb.org/ 

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

8 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

It's probably because the R&D for these consoles are so expensive and that they only making money on software sales. So it makes sense to keep the generation lasting longer, leading to more software being available and more sales as a result.

really not an expert, but aren't todays consoles much cheaper and faster do develop, using of the shelf components and x86 ou 64 compatible CPU's, unlike the past?

old consoles were unique peaces of hardware and software.