Mini News: AMD reveal codename for the post 2020 Next Generation GPU Architecture

Master Disaster

Let's start off my making it clear, it's only a name, there's NO solid information.

It looks like an AMD employee has revealed the name of AMD’s next-generation GPU which would be known as Arcturus. The next-gen GPU was revealed by an AMD employee on Phoronix Forums and aside from the GPU name, he also mentioned that the new lineup of graphics cards would go back to the older naming scheme which we got before Vega.

The current roadmap goes until 2019 & Navi, beyond that it just shows "Next Gen"

If we go by the current AMD GPU roadmaps, we will see that AMD has products planned out till and beyond 2020. The 14nm Vega lineup shipped in 2017 and they are expected to ship their 1st 7nm based Vega 20 products by the end of this year. Then in 2019, we will get to see the first Navi products released to the consumer market.

The roadmap has GPU codenames confirmed till “Navi” and everything beyond that is labeled “Next-Gen”. The only details that are known about this next-gen part till now are that it will utilize the latest 7nm+ process node. Well, thanks to AMD themselves, we might have the first graphics architecture codename for this part which is said to be Arcturus.

AMD-GPU-Roadmap-1030x516.png

The name continues the Space theme they've used as codenames since Polaris.

The “Arcturus” codename comes from the red giant star which is the brightest in the constellation of Bootes and among the brightest stars that can be seen from space. Similar to Vega and Navi, both of which are also some of the brightest stars visible in the night sky, the naming scheme takes inspiration from the time since RTG was created and the founding father, Raja Koduri (ex AMD RTG President), put a lot of emphasis on bright stars when they first introduced Polaris.

https://wccftech.com/amd-arcturus-7nm-next-gen-gpu-revealed/

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Radeon-Arcturus

Like I said, mini news. Nothing of note but it at least shows the next gen cards are progressing.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Lol, i am on the phoronix forums.

John Bridgman (amd driver dude) dropped the name. Then quickly edited it out of his post.

But then he realized that in that time it had already been screenshotted, spawned youtube videos, articles on dozen websites, and reddit threads etc. So then he thought 'oh well what the hell', and restored his post lol.

25 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Lol, i am on the phoronix forums.

John Bridgman (amd driver dude) dropped the name. Then quickly edited it out of his post.

But then he realized that in that time it had already been screenshotted, spawned youtube videos, articles on dozen websites, and reddit threads etc. So then he thought 'oh well what the hell', and restored his post lol.

I always find it funny these large corporations get so secretive over codenames. I understand if it's a secret product but in this case everyone already knew its coming so why keep the codename a secret?

What's the worst that can happen by revealing a codename?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Hoping for a Regulus architecture, someday

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

44 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Counter-Marketing?

You know the whole Coke Zero vs Pepsi One deal again.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

44 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I always find it funny these large corporations get so secretive over codenames. I understand if it's a secret product but in this case everyone already knew its coming so why keep the codename a secret?

It's more about maintaining a company culture. You can't have employees dropping every single arbitrary code name the company makes up. Doing so would dilute the code names that went anywhere. Imagine if the tech press wrote about 10 different code names leading up to ''Ryzen''. When ''Ryzen'' actually dropped, all the impact would be gone.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

2020...? :'( nVidia will be asking $899 for GT3030.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Waiting for Zen 2 and Navi before finally buying a new PC... For an all 7nm PC.

Then when they are released "waiting for Zen 3 and Arcturus before finally buying a new PC... Going ham on next gen 7nm"...

I need to stop waiting for the next big thing and just upgrade already... But it's most likely less than 6 months away from now, so may as well keep on waiting... Not like there was a game(that I care about) I truly couldn't even run yet.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, MMKing said:

It's more about maintaining a company culture. You can't have employees dropping every single arbitrary code name the company makes up. Doing so would dilute the code names that went anywhere. Imagine if the tech press wrote about 10 different code names leading up to ''Ryzen''. When ''Ryzen'' actually dropped, all the impact would be gone.

Funny you should say that. The code names got leaked far in advance.

Code names mean little in the grand scheme of things. What does this one tell us? Absolutely nothing. 

At best the continuation of the star names would almost hint that we're not done with GCN yet which would be terrible for everyone.

Nah they got it from Starcraft 2 come on guys

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Nah they got it from Starcraft 2 come on guys

I think Ancient Greek astronomy got there first. ;)

1 hour ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

latest?cb=20151129213638

sorry i can't help it

"Fuck you Mengsk!"

- Jim Raynor (probably)

16 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

I think Ancient Greek astronomy got there first. ;)

They took it from Starcraft as well.

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

They took it from Starcraft as well.

Oh, was that when Spock invented it a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

25 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Oh, was that when Spock invented it a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away?

No, it was actually Lieutenant Commander Data from Deus Ex.

6 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Funny you should say that. The code names got leaked far in advance.

Code names mean little in the grand scheme of things. What does this one tell us? Absolutely nothing. 

At best the continuation of the star names would almost hint that we're not done with GCN yet which would be terrible for everyone.

Afair AMD have already confirmed Navi is the end of GCN and Arcturus will be an entirely new architecture.

8 hours ago, MMKing said:

I wasn't suggesting they do that however whats the harm in telling us a firm codename for a product we already know is coming?

8 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Counter-Marketing?

You know the whole Coke Zero vs Pepsi One deal again.

Yeah I can see that but these are codenames, not product names.

41 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Afair AMD have already confirmed Navi is the end of GCN and Arcturus will be an entirely new architecture.

I know. That's what we've been told. However, usually the code names change when the product family changes.

Either way my point was how unimportant code names are and that we've known the Zen name since like 2015.

Just now, Trixanity said:

I know. That's what we've been told. However, usually the code names change when the product family changes.

Either way my point was how unimportant code names are and that we've known the Zen name since like 2015.

Yep, that's how I feel as well. Like I said I totally get it if it's a secret product and revealing the codename would also reveal the products existence but when the public already knows the product is coming who the hell cares?

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

No, it was actually Lieutenant Commander Data from Deus Ex.

If I recall Doom Guy picked up a PDA containing an email with a large black box containing A Space Odyssey (2001). The box is full of stars.

10 hours ago, MMKing said:

Imagine if the tech press wrote about 10 different code names leading up to ''Ryzen''. When ''Ryzen'' actually dropped, all the impact would be gone.

We don't have to imagine, we have WCCFtech for that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Waiting for Zen 2 and Navi before finally buying a new PC... For an all 7nm PC.

Then when they are released "waiting for Zen 3 and Arcturus before finally buying a new PC... Going ham on next gen 7nm"...

I need to stop waiting for the next big thing and just upgrade already... But it's most likely less than 6 months away from now, so may as well keep on waiting... Not like there was a game(that I care about) I truly couldn't even run yet.

I mean it cant be that ba-

CPU: Intel Core i7 875k / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB 

Damn. 

Well as long as you dont NEED it yet. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

12 hours ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

latest?cb=20151129213638

sorry i can't help it

Thats exactly what came to my mind, I wish they chose the SC character names.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18