The Verge back at it again - False information

voiha

Apparently The Verge wants to push articles about trending information rather than taking their time and making a good one.

Didn't knew I had an RTX card..sweet

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/19/17877968/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-review-benchmarks-performance-features

Edit: Apparently the same guy that did the PC build guide wrote this article too - Stefan Etienne

and on top of that they tested 1440p and 4K with 2 different CPU's for some reason which is actually not good performance comparison.

For anyone who needs a good laugh. Here is his own twitter post and comments about the article.

Click to gain RTX

Capture.PNG

image.png.f5c870c7e09aacfc2e0f0ba031d8182d.png

My circling skills aside, there's your reason behind that...

They are on "The Verge" of becoming the laughing stock of the entire tech community. First that awful PC build done by an obvious noob and now this. Lmao.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

9 hours ago, voiha said:

Apparently The Verge wants to push articles about trending information rather than taking their time and making a good one.

Didn't knew I had an RTX card..sweet

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/19/17877968/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-review-benchmarks-performance-features

It's just a typo.

Calm down.

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

They are on "The Verge" of becoming the laughing stock of the entire tech community. First that awful PC build done by an obvious noob and now this. Lmao.

The article was written by the same guy that made the pc "tutorial" video.

Stefan Etienne...

So that obvious noob now also writes articles for the Verge.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

The article was written by the same guy that made the pc "tutorial" video.

Stefan etienne...

Yep, saw that. Wonder when they're gonna fire him. Or maybe he's their intern. Either way, fire him.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

9 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

It's just a typo.

Calm down.

It's not a mistake anyone with even a hint of tech knowledge would ever make.

To paraphrase Rich from Review Tech USA: It's not the mistakes that are the problem, it's the fact that these mistakes in curated content make it through the entire workflow and end up being published without SOMEONE along the path flagging them.

That speaks volumes about the current employees of a tech YouTube channel with over 2 million subs.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, kingmustard said:

It's just a typo.

Calm down.

It is yes, but you can't call yourself professional and making mistakes like that which are so obvious. On the first pros/cons you call it RTX next one GTX.

And most of the information is not an actually benchmark material. I picture it more like attempt at making the article as long as it can be.

Still no real life benchmark, just some numbers.

1.PNG

2.PNG

4 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Yep, saw that. Wonder when they're gonna fire him. Or maybe he's their intern. Either way, fire him.

They are probably gonna give him a raise or a promotion. No way they are gonna fire him.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

They are probably gonna give him a raise or a promotion. No way they are gonna fire him.

He indeed made them some clicks

6 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

So they're going to be a parody channel? Lol.

4K test machine:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-G Micro ATX LGA1151
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3333
  • Storage: Kingston UV500 480GB M.2-2280 SSD
  • Case: Corsair Crystal 280X MicroATX
  • PSU: Corsair 850W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular ATX

I don't think anyone trusts the results that come out of that PC.

And then for some reason their 1440p tests - which is more CPU dependant than 4k tests - uses a different system for benchmarks with a slower CPU.

1440p test machine:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 4-Core
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
  • Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB M.2 SSD
  • Case: Corsair Carbide 400Q
  • PSU: Corsair 850W RMx Series RM850x

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

So they're going to be a parody channel? Lol.

You are thinking to logically, and that is your problem.

He has gathered the most clicks for the Verge this month, so he is the MVP.

Watch the Pentagon wars (1988) if you want to see how this kind of stuff works.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

And then for some reason their 1440p tests - which is more CPU dependant than 4k tests - uses a different system for benchmarks with a slower CPU.

I hope they actually fitted the fans to the AIO in that 4K test bench because when he built it he missed them out.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

I hope they actually fitted the fans to the AIO in that 4K test bench because when he built it he missed them out.

Fans? It's a water cooled PC. You don't need fans! Just throw those useless fans away with your motherboard socket cover. /s

They remounted the AIO with fans after they finished filming. The pictures used in the article that accompanied the video showed fans mounted to the radiator (though, the AIO was missing a screw off the CPU mount after it was remounted).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Fans? It's a water cooled PC. You don't need fans! Just throw those useless fans away with your motherboard socket cover. /s

They remounted the AIO with fans after they finished filming. The pictures used in the article that accompanied the video showed fans mounted to the radiator (though, the AIO was missing a screw off the CPU mount after it was remounted).

The worst part is the article writters twitter account.

He can't take critisism to save his life, instead he starts to defend himself with illogical arguments.

22 minutes ago, Spotty said:

At least bother to do some research bro.

Also what pissed me off "if you don't intend to upgrade to 4k, the 2080 should be sufficient for 1440p"

WTF! Get the 1080ti if you only want to play at 1440p

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
    Tcreate 32gb ddr4 3600 cl18
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    SN570 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
    Lots of chi-fi iems
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 (lastest)

2 minutes ago, TheGuy746 said:

Also what pissed me off "if you don't intend to upgrade to 4k, the 2080 should be sufficient for 1440p"

WTF! Get the 1080ti if you only want to play at 1440p

B-b-b-but Avram Piltch told me I needed Ray-Tracing in my life... :(

/s

In all seriousness, Gamers Nexus (amongst many others, but GNs is the most detailed I've seen so far) did a thorough look at 2080 vs 1080ti and the two cards are essentially identical at the moment (without DLSS & RT), with the 1080ti being $100+ cheaper and the recommendation being Just don't buy it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUM_eINGUl4

14 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

He can't take critisism to save his life, instead he starts to defend himself with illogical arguments.

Welcome to internet journalism.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

According to his Twitter the man is a computer science student, so, a computer science student that doesn't know the word "socket" xD But in all seriousness though, don't be too hard on this guy, he's made some mistakes, but what's really the problem is that the entire production company that is The Verge didn't notice or care and decided to throw the whole thing onto the internet.

1 hour ago, kingmustard said:

It's just a typo.

Calm down.

when they made that awful pc video they took it down, they said it had "minor factual errors" and proceeded to blame a race based harassment campaign for the controversy, which was not the case. 

Inb4QpP.png

so yah I'm not giving them a fucking pass for shit

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

10 hours ago, akio123008 said:

According to his Twitter the man is a computer science student, so, a computer science student that doesn't know the word "socket" xD But in all seriousness though, don't be too hard on this guy, he's made some mistakes, but what's really the problem is that the entire production company that is The Verge didn't notice or care and decided to throw the whole thing onto the internet.

I don’t think that is too surprising. You can be a good computer science student without having an in-depth knowledge of the internals of a PC. 

I work with a few CS students who are great coders but would not feel comfortable doing something as simple as upgrading RAM.

I am equally appalled by his racist claims. Racism is bad, I would not wish it upon my worst enemy. But the man clearly is missing the core of the criticism he received. Labelling the responses as racism desensitized people to actual acts of racism. It’s truly infuriating to see.

42 minutes ago, Andrew747 said:

I don’t think that is too surprising. You can be a good computer science student without having an in-depth knowledge of the internals of a PC. 

I work with a few CS students who are great coders but would not feel comfortable doing something as simple as upgrading RAM.

I am equally appalled by his racist claims. Racism is bad, I would not wish it upon my worst enemy. But the man clearly is missing the core of the criticism he received. Labelling the responses as racism desensitized people to actual acts of racism. It’s truly infuriating to see.

I was one of very few people in the CS field in my college with actual hardware knowledge, and I think the only one that did anything beyond desktops. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch