Amazon Second Company to Reach the 1 Trillion Dollars Market Valuation Milestone

As reported by CNBC, Amazon has reached the 1 trillion milestone previously hit (5 weeks earlier) by Apple Inc. 

Amazon market cap hit $1 trillion on Tuesday, becoming the second publicly traded U.S. company to reach the record valuation after Apple.

Those who invested in Amazon stock a year earlier should be pretty happy about the news:

Amazon stock has gained more than 70 percent in 2018 and has more than doubled in the last 12 months. That dwarfs gains by the overall market, with the S&P 500 index gaining 8 percent this year and 16 percent in the last 12 months.

My opinion: purely from a business/ pragmatic standpoint, this should make Amazon investors quite happy and bulls even more optimistic. From an ethical standpoint, this news leaves much, too much to be desired. It has been reported previously that Amazon doesn't pay its workers fairly, not enough to have a decent life anyways. Not to mention that Amazon is working on a project (second headquarters) to make its workers pay taxes to the company rather than the government as reported by Secular Talk on Nov 27th 2017. 

Staying out of the inevitable shitscape this thread will produce. Following for entertainment purposes. 

On topic: This is good news for investors like myself, but it saddens me as this means they will continue to pervade into areas where small business cannot compete. It almost makes it seem that Judge Dredd's mega-cities may be a concept that will be realized. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

How wonder how many pee-bottles it took for Amazon to reach that value amount :P

Good for them anyhow.

45 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

Amazon is working on a project (second headquarters) to make its workers pay taxes to the company rather than the government as reported by Secular Talk on Nov 27th 2017. 

what? must be crazy internet fakeness

6 more companies and we can finally say: "we have to combine these 6 to surpass the Dutch East Indie Company"

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

35 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Dutch East Indie Company"

So... are they independant?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

50 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Tbh I think their "worth" is higher than Apple, even if they are monetarily not so 

I mean they do a hell of a lot more than Apple does, so they do have an easier time to reach $1bn and above.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

36 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

So... are they independant?

Duh, how do you think they made the 7.9 trillion? Selling flowers?!

Of curse not, this company was the foundation of grudge and nu-metal

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Yeah you tend to make great profits when you overwork your employees so fucking hard they have to pee in bottles.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Froody129 said:

Tbh I think their "worth" is higher than Apple, even if they are monetarily not so 

If Amazon went down it would be more impact then Apple. 

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

2 hours ago, I-r0k said:

If Amazon went down, we would all pay more for all our products.

If Apple went down, we would pay less for some of our products.

5 hours ago, I-r0k said:

I would rather Amazon go down so that small business can thrive a bit more. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

If working conditions in the US are so poor with shit house wages why doesn't every one advocate for minimum wage? 

EDIT: and mandated minimum shifts Plus mandated breaks? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

@mr moose Some states, perhaps federally, have mandated requirements for breaks/leaves. We’re brainwashed into thinking that a wage increase is bad for the economy, yet we’re expected to spend more than we make collectively.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

@mr moose Some states, perhaps federally, have mandated requirements for breaks/leaves. We’re brainwashed into thinking that a wage increase is bad for the economy, yet we’re expected to spend more than we make collectively.

Not good.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

@ARikozuM not bad jsut trouble is companies also know people hate spending more. SO they want ocmpanies to pay more but also not raise prices which buisness wise isint smart. So companies like mine pay us more rates do go up over time people bitch and moan.

5 hours ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

@ARikozuM If you increase wages, you pays for the increase? Who is the added cost passed on to? Where does the added cost re-appear?

3 hours ago, Tellos said:

@ARikozuM not bad jsut trouble is companies also know people hate spending more. SO they want ocmpanies to pay more but also not raise prices which buisness wise isint smart. So companies like mine pay us more rates do go up over time people bitch and moan.

You know those same companies (like amazon) make money in countries like Australia where there is a minimum wage and working condition laws. Prices do go up but they are offset by economical growth.

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You know those same companies (like amazon) make money in countries like Australia where there is a minimum wage and working condition laws. Prices do go up but they are offset by economical growth.

But in that case the buying power of the wages goes down as well, resulting in people still not being able to buy more than before. 

If you make 100 and something costs 10 you can buy 10 of them. 

If you make 110 and something costs 11 you can still only buy 10 of them, thus making the situation the same as before. 

They could also make an argument that if all counties had laws like Australia the prices would go up in Australia too. Basically, Australia might right now have low prices because wages in other countries are low. You're getting subsidized. 

I am not trying to argue against minimum wage laws (I am all for them), but your counter arguments are rather weak. 

A better argument would be to look at how much profit companies likes Amazon makes and see if they could raise wages while keeping the prices the same. They would make less money, but they would do that with higher minimum wages anyway. 

@LAwLz Cept companies don't want to make Less moeny. Investors get mad. And I am not arguing against minimum wages either, Just saying the reality I hear. People shout at me at work over how much they pay, same people who want workers to have more moeny more paid leave more benefits etc. @mr moose however sounds much liek those. At my current job a major ISP we are paid fairly well with nice benefits packages.  And all people bitch over is their bill. Paying me more [and being a US citizen and not an over seas agents which they also complain about] means it costs more. 

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

A better argument would be to look at how much profit companies likes Amazon makes and see if they could raise wages while keeping the prices the same. They would make less money, but they would do that with higher minimum wages anyway. 

Pretty sure they can do that easily.

After all, they already do that in all the countries with minimum wages and laws for breaks etc.

In Germany, the minimum wage is about 9/hour, and a 60min break is mandatory for an 8h shift. I don't know about the average income of people working for Amazon, but I know of two examples. One working on packaging kinda. So the bottom of the barrel kinda deal. He is making 13/hour. The other is a little higher, working on some management kinda deals. Very low level managing tho, so not a suit-wearing executive, more like making sure the packaging dues do their job correctly. His income is around 18/hour.

From all I hear about the US, this is A LOT more. And they still have equivalent pricing for products. So yeah, it is possible.

4 hours ago, Tellos said:

@LAwLz Cept companies don't want to make Less moeny. Investors get mad. And I am not arguing against minimum wages either, Just saying the reality I hear. People shout at me at work over how much they pay, same people who want workers to have more moeny more paid leave more benefits etc. @mr moose however sounds much liek those. At my current job a major ISP we are paid fairly well with nice benefits packages.  And all people bitch over is their bill. Paying me more [and being a US citizen and not an over seas agents which they also complain about] means it costs more. 

Fair wages and working conditions are basically incompatible with a profit-driven multinational company the size of Amazon. We have direct conflict with liberal (as in Neo-liberal) ideals here since you cannot expect Amazon to downsize or anybody else to compete without implementing the same (or rather, worst) predatory employment and competition tactics to have a chance to compete.

In fact Amazon is big enough and with a unique set of needs (Thrives on local distribution so it cannot use the usual dirty tactics of just sending labor off shores and abroad to cut costs by exploiting weaker economies on other countries) means that it will be on the forefront of full automation on all levels of it's distribution chain. It is also big enough to push out plenty of competitors and even entire industry segments so as they eventually just get rid of most of their workforce people will need to start talking about living wages Universal basic Income the current economical system is just unable to deal with a company like them.

-------

Current Rig

-------