AMD 7nm gpus confirmed for 2018

Daegun

using Inspect Element it looks like that page is from early August, but since then AMD has had to switch from one manufacture to another because of issues with 7nm at the one they where using, so I wonder if they are still on track for this, surely last minute switching of manufacture will add some delay to it.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

They have a lot of catching up to do in GPU performance. But I fear they're dumping more money into their CPU division to stay afloat and their GPUs are just kind of "there" but not their focus

They definitely don't have enough money to go into both. Hopefully they get it together in the next few years and catch up though, with money from their CPU sales.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 9/3/2018 at 5:34 PM, Daniel644 said:

using Inspect Element it looks like that page is from early August, but since then AMD has had to switch from one manufacture to another because of issues with 7nm at the one they where using, so I wonder if they are still on track for this, surely last minute switching of manufacture will add some delay to it.

https://community.amd.com/community/amd-corporate/blog/2018/08/27/expanding-our-high-performance-leadership-with-focused-7nm-development

The press release was in fact posted the very same day, acknowledging GF's decision and stating that AMD expected no delays as a result of this. GF's decision has likely been informal in the industry for some time leading up to the formal announcement that 7nm development would end.

On 9/3/2018 at 5:41 PM, dizmo said:

They definitely don't have enough money to go into both. Hopefully they get it together in the next few years and catch up though, with money from their CPU sales.

AMD spent 1116 million USD in 2017 on research & development, Nvidia spent 1797 million while Intel spent 13 098 million (2017). AMD's 2017 revenue totaled 5.33 billion dollars, while Nvidia's totaled 6.91 Billion USD.

There is no insurmountable difference between AMD and Nvidia, AMD is not a tiny company. Saying AMD should compete with Intel because their CPUs are extremely competitive at the moment, and stop competing with Nvidia because they can't afford it is stupid and short sighted. Just a few years ago, AMD had very competitive products when Nvidia were shipping the 400, 500 and 600 series Geforce cards.

People calling for AMD to stop developing CPUs back then, are just as stupid as people telling AMD to stop developing GPUs right now.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

17 minutes ago, MMKing said:

AMD spent 1116 million USD in 2017 on research & development, Nvidia spent 1797 million while Intel spent 13 098 million (2017). AMD's 2017 revenue totaled 5.33 billion dollars, while Nvidia's totaled 6.91 Billion USD.

There is no insurmountable difference between AMD and Nvidia, AMD is not a tiny company. Saying AMD should compete with Intel because their CPUs are extremely competitive at the moment, and stop competing with Nvidia because they can't afford it is stupid and short sighted. Just a few years ago, AMD had very competitive products when Nvidia were shipping the 400, 500 and 600 series Geforce cards.

People calling for AMD to stop developing CPUs back then, are just as stupid as people telling AMD to stop developing GPUs right now.

i kinda agree but dont forget that that R&D has to be devided between cpu and gpu design, which means they are in disadvantage on that side, hopefully ryzen will help improve that (seems to be already)

1 hour ago, MMKing said:

Snip

There is nothing to doubt. AMD is on track to launch Vega 20 in Q4. Likewise Rome is sampling to partners.

As for memory bandwidth it'll be at least 2 Gbps memory but unless there are unknown issues, I'm expecting them to go for 2.4 Gbps considering the market

There's a wccftech article that points to an imminent release of 7nm GPUs from AMD as well that I haven't seen anyone cover yet, however I'd say take it with a truck load of salt as per usual. IF this is accurate then the new Vega successor will be a monster.

However any excitement this generated; for me at least, is heavily tempered by how much of a letdown Vega was upon release.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

If they manage to squeak navi into 2018 i'll be mildly impressed with the new RTG, this is probably vega 20 though

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, ApolloX75 said:

There's a wccftech article that points to an

There's a wccftech article that points to everything, they like to cover their bases. xD

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

There's a wccftech article that points to everything, they like to cover their bases. xD

I mean, it's WCCFTech. 

Though they have competition from the likes of Tom's Hardware in the Avram Pilch era. 

With all that said, I'm curious on how these 7nm GPUs perform. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

5 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Though they have competition from the likes of Tom's Hardware in the Avram Pilch era. 

Wow no need to be so harsh towards WCCFTech, they'd never publish that trash.... xD

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

To be fair this approach kinda works.

Seen it with plenty of YouTubers as well.

Just predict EVERYTHING, so at least one prediction has to be correct. Afterwards, you can claim "hey, we nailed it. You always get the correct predictions from us!".

Actually sad that it works like that, but people just love to fall for any kind of crap.

4 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

Just predict EVERYTHING, so at least one prediction has to be correct. Afterwards, you can claim "hey, we nailed it. You always get the correct predictions from us!".

Actually sad that it works like that, but people just love to fall for any kind of crap.

lol

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

37 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

To be fair this approach kinda works.

Seen it with plenty of YouTubers as well.

Wccftech is basically the Schrodinger's cat of publications: [insert upcoming/rumored chip] is both real and fake. It's both awesome and terrible. It'll be released next week/month/year/never. It'll cost 100/500/1000/1500 dollars.

Yeah Vega comes first on 7nm but as far as consumer card and Navi we'll have to wait and see. Really need a flagship successor to Vega next year, cause next flagship needs to be much faster than Vega when it comes.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

vega 20 this year is gonna be the first high performance part manufactured on 7nm. When you move to a new process node like this typically yields are not great at first. So it's expensive for AMD... That's why they are focusing on the data center market first where they can sell Vega 20 for thousands of dollars, they know it will be very profitable despite the manufacturing cost. 

If they launch Navi which is targetted at gamers they have to be price competitive with Nvidia. So they are holding that off until the first half of 2019 by which time 7nm production would have ramped up and matured.

7 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah Vega comes first on 7nm but as far as consumer card and Navi we'll have to wait and see. Really need a flagship successor to Vega next year, cause next flagship needs to be much faster than Vega when it comes.

The Navi that is launching in 2019 will not be a flagship. It will max out as a performance midrange part, will probably outperform Vega due to being 7nm and far higher clocks plus architectural advancements .
But the Navi flagship is only expeced in 2020.

18 minutes ago, Humbug said:

vega 20 this year is gonna be the first high performance part manufactured on 7nm. When you move to a new process node like this typically yields are not great at first. So it's expensive for AMD... That's why they are focusing on the data center market first where they can sell Vega 20 for thousands of dollars, they know it will be very profitable despite the manufacturing cost. 

If they launch Navi which is targetted at gamers they have to be price competitive with Nvidia. So they are holding that off until the first half of 2019 by which time 7nm production would have ramped up and matured.

The Navi that is launching in 2019 will not be a flagship. It will max out as a performance midrange part, will probably outperform Vega due to being 7nm and far higher clocks plus architectural advancements .
But the Navi flagship is only expeced in 2020.

Yeah I know, bit odd that flagship is not launching first =/ also you pointed it well about 7nm Vega as first product and that node shrink can give a very good performance bump. So maybe no Vega 7nm for consumers but just Navi if they would perform like same, and flagship Navi later on hmm? Is the first navi the limited GCN and the actual flagship later their "Next Gen" GPU ?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Looking forward for an rx 680 !

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

I just have to say, isn't it telling that this topic is only on page 2, while the dual core Ryzen that was just announced is on page 6? Poor Radeon. lmao

Let's just hope AMD gets their shit together with GPUs like they have with CPUs.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, 2Buck said:

I just have to say, isn't it telling that this topic is only on page 2, while the dual core Ryzen that was just announced is on page 6? Poor Radeon. lmao

Let's just hope AMD gets their shit together with GPUs like they have with CPUs.

Probably because there isn't anything to say. It's basically "7nm is coming". And I think this has been discussed multiple times in other topics as well.

When Vega 20 launches it'll probably be 12 pages of bickering. I'll guarantee it.

On 9/4/2018 at 10:11 PM, Trixanity said:

Wccftech is basically the Schrodinger's cat of publications: [insert upcoming/rumored chip] is both real and fake. It's both awesome and terrible. It'll be released next week/month/year/never. It'll cost 100/500/1000/1500 dollars.

I both agreed and disagreed with this statement until I read it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Probably because there isn't anything to say. It's basically "7nm is coming". And I think this has been discussed multiple times in other topics as well.

When Vega 20 launches it'll probably be 12 pages of bickering. I'll guarantee it.

Remember when Zen was just "coming"? It was wayyyy more than this iirc.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Just now, 2Buck said:

Remember when Zen was just "coming"? It was wayyyy more than this iirc.

There were a lot more to talk about. AMD's big comeback and them touting massive IPC improvements alone.

Vega 20 simply isn't all that interesting to most. The benchmarks may generate some discussion but a machine learning only chip isn't sexy to the majority of people on this forum.

Just now, Trixanity said:

Vega 20 simply isn't all that interesting to most.

And there's the point.

we got it to 3 pages yayyyyyy

4 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

And there's the point.

we got it to 3 pages yayyyyyy

I just checked out some Vega related topics. Found the following number of pages: 3, 4, 8, 5

Then I looked at Navi related topics. It was: 3, 12, 3, 3.

I should note I filtered a lot to avoid having to look through dozens of pages of search results so I've probably missed a lot.

Ultimately the more concrete it is the more active it is. The more click baity the title the more active it is. The more controversial the topic is the more active it is.

Having 7nm Vega be in the news (again - I checked it had been posted in some form earlier) via a tiny confirmation in a press release on foundry timelines isn't something that will prompt people to get their dongers out. That's just the way it is. You can't extrapolate interest from that.