AMD 7nm gpus confirmed for 2018

Daegun
21 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I just checked out some Vega related topics. Found the following number of pages: 3, 4, 8, 5

Then I looked at Navi related topics. It was: 3, 12, 3, 3.

I should note I filtered a lot to avoid having to look through dozens of pages of search results so I've probably missed a lot.

Ultimately the more concrete it is the more active it is. The more click baity the title the more active it is. The more controversial the topic is the more active it is.

Having 7nm Vega be in the news (again - I checked it had been posted in some form earlier) via a tiny confirmation in a press release on foundry timelines isn't something that will prompt people to get their dongers out. That's just the way it is. You can't extrapolate interest from that.

Okay, fair nuff. You got me. :P

Screenshot_8.png.081c7e36039f3e7aa360f432fea2c0c0.png

But that dual core is generating A LOT of discussion.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

10 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Okay, fair nuff. You got me. :P

Screenshot_8.png.081c7e36039f3e7aa360f432fea2c0c0.png

But that dual core is generating A LOT of discussion.

Yeah and I honestly don't know why. I think it's because of Pentium processors finally getting competition because other than that it's not that exciting. Of course there's the bickering about who would buy it (which I'm admittedly part of).

AMD still has a lot of segments they need to compete in even on the CPU side. For example they'll launch 45W mobile processors sometime soon which have been MIA for a long time now. They still also lack sub-10W mobile processors which I have heard might arrive in 2019. 

The GPU business (for consumers at least) is probably gonna be dead in the water for another year and even then people will be complaining about the lack of a flagship chip.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:03 PM, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah I know, bit odd that flagship is not launching first =/ also you pointed it well about 7nm Vega as first product and that node shrink can give a very good performance bump. So maybe no Vega 7nm for consumers but just Navi if they would perform like same, and flagship Navi later on hmm? Is the first navi the limited GCN and the actual flagship later their "Next Gen" GPU ?

Navi is expected to be the last generation of GCN. However I do expect good architectural improvements considering it's getting a lot more engineering effort/resources than Vega.

The GCN successor (new ground up macro architecture) will not be ready until 2020 or 2021. AMD has been working on this since around 2016-2017.

The next truly high end GPU from AMD may be Navi based or it may be next gen based. AMD has not committed publicly on that... If the next gen macro architecture is ready in 2020 we may never see high end Navi.

Either way sadly in 2019 it looks like we will not get a 2080ti competitor from AMD. The focus in 2019 is performance mid-range Navi parts for both the PC and PS5.

This is sad for the PC market. But for AMD fortunately Nvidia is leaving plenty of room for them to sell a full range of Navi GPUs starting from low end going up to even $700. So with the 7nm power savings, increased clocks, better yields and architectural improvements AMD can sell Navi mid-range at good prices and make money until the high end next gen is ready. Since Nvidia is moving their GPU pricing into another stratosphere it has left room for AMD to make money with Navi...

7 hours ago, Humbug said:

This is sad for the PC market. But for AMD fortunately Nvidia is leaving plenty of room for them to sell a full range of Navi GPUs starting from low end going up to even $700. So with the 7nm power savings, increased clocks, better yields and architectural improvements AMD can sell Navi mid-range at good prices and make money until the high end next gen is ready. Since Nvidia is moving their GPU pricing into another stratosphere it has left room for AMD to make money with Navi...

It's sad for people who have business critical needs, but for those who can afford to wait a year or two, it's still fine. I'm seeing the RX 580 drop to about USD 150 around here for secondhand.

7 hours ago, Humbug said:

Navi is expected to be the last generation of GCN. However I do expect good architectural improvements considering it's getting a lot more engineering effort/resources than Vega.

The GCN successor (new ground up macro architecture) will not be ready until 2020 or 2021. AMD has been working on this since around 2016-2017.

The next truly high end GPU from AMD may be Navi based or it may be next gen based. AMD has not committed publicly on that... If the next gen macro architecture is ready in 2020 we may never see high end Navi.

Either way sadly in 2019 it looks like we will not get a 2080ti competitor from AMD. The focus in 2019 is performance mid-range Navi parts for both the PC and PS5.

So as far as Navi it may not be MCM design I guess, maybe. With the improved scalability it's said to have though. Just one die. And being last gen of GCN means SP limitation and all so architectural improvements and smaller node will be what helps its performance.

How much improved upon Vega and even 7nm one will be interesting to see. But from all that it should be quite a bump from Vega though. So probably a solid successor to it. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

56 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

So as far as Navi it may not be MCM design I guess, maybe. With the improved scalability it's said to have though. Just one die.

Ya the MCM thing was something that Raja used to talk up. But of late AMD has been downplaying that aspect saying it works for compute but not for gaming.

From that we can infer that their engineering efforts for MCM have been successful for workstation but not yet successful for gaming in terms of allowing the application to see it as one GPU seamlessly...

3 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Ya the MCM thing was something that Raja used to talk up. But of late AMD has been downplaying that aspect saying it works for compute but not for gaming.

From that we can infer that their engineering efforts for MCM have been successful for workstation but not yet successful for gaming in terms of allowing the application to see it as one GPU seamlessly...

Hmm yeah interesting, maybe it worked like a dual GPU Crossfire like but maybe not good enough as far as consistent performance.

So I guess they'll just release full Navi GPU then to have something better than Vega as top card until the "next gen" one comes.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

30 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Hmm yeah interesting, maybe it worked like a dual GPU Crossfire like but maybe not good enough as far as consistent performance.

So I guess they'll just release full Navi GPU then to have something better than Vega as top card until the "next gen" one comes.

The idea was to have multiple Navi dies interconnected via infinity fabric.

However unlike crossfire in this case the GPU firmware + drivers do the hard work of scheduling etc so that the application does not even have to know about it, and obviously AMD's driver engineers don't have to painstakingly create crossfire profiles for each game.

Both AMD and Nvidia have to get this working at some point, even if it doesn't come as fast as Raja envisioned. Because we cannot keep making bigger and bigger more expensive dies especially as the progress of manufacturing technology slows...

Now if only AMD can control themselves and make the product without HBM, they might actually threaten Nvidia by having enough products for people to buy.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Now if only AMD can control themselves and make the product without HBM, they might actually threaten Nvidia by having enough products for people to buy.

when they were designing vega hbm was 100% the best choice, but life happens and prices ended up being alot higher than expected thanks to low hbm yields, low clocks and high demand thanks to it being used in datacenter fpgas and gpus, and hbm is the future, it will just take time to get better prices thanks to economies of scale, and better packaging