Why Bitcoins can't be a real currency.

I read this entire thing through, even though I don't really care about cryptocurrencies. It's an interesting take on the situation though.

http://brokenlibrarian.org/bitcoin/

8) So could Bitcoin ever be a real currency?

No, for one simple reason. Bitcoin does not scale. The network is very specifically designed to process a very limited number of transactions in each block, and each block by definition takes about ten minutes to process, regardless of how powerful the Bitcoin verification network is. The more popular that Bitcoin becomes, the slower it will be for every single transaction to get processed. The claim that Bitcoin is "instant" is demonstrably false.

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

WEAK! give me a better reason!

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

I read this entire thing through, even though I don't really care about cryptocurrencies. It's an interesting take on the situation though.

http://brokenlibrarian.org/bitcoin/

Transactions usually appear instantly, confirmations of the transaction is the only part that takes time.

(you can't spend the recieved Bitcoins until it has atleast 6 confirmations)

So it is instant depending on the way you spin it.

Read a tiny bit of that article and he seems really biased from the start.

Number 8 is a terrible reason to argue Bitcoin can't be a real currency.

Technically speaking, no payment method is instant. Not even credit cards. The charge on a CC happens instantly, but the bills are paid later down the line. 

Bitcoin as a currency has its flaws, sure. I don't see it becoming mainstream in anyway. However, the idea of a common, global currency is attractive. Too bad the current economy probably won't allow it to happen. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Transactions usually appear instantly, confirmations of the transaction is the only part that takes time.

(you can't spend the recieved Bitcoins until it has atleast 6 confirmations)

So it is instant depending on the way you spin it.

Read a tiny bit of that article and he seems really biased from the start.

Well, yes, I never said that the person is 100% factually correct just that it's an interesting argument on what cryptocurrencies are. Whoever it is seems to have at least a decent amount of knowledge about the matter though.

Number 8 is a terrible reason to argue Bitcoin can't be a real currency.

Well, it was the first paragraph under the question "So could Bitcoin ever be a real currency?", so I nabbed that, I don't really know/care about these modern internet monies.

And now? Nothing you buy with digital Fiat currency now gets paid instantly. It takes days

I work for a FPT dealership and I have never heard of Fiat money.. Please elaborate or send me a PM or something.

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

Technically speaking, no payment method is instant. Not even credit cards. The charge on a CC happens instantly, but the bills are paid later down the line.  

Bitcoin as a currency has its flaws, sure. I don't see it becoming mainstream in anyway. However, the idea of a common, global currency is attractive. Too bad the current economy probably won't allow it to happen. 

when I pay for something with my debit card the money is taken out of my account within seconds of the transaction completing.

when I pay for something with my debit card the money is taken out of my account within seconds of the transaction completing.

but don't be fooled banks take your money and play with it a day or two, because it's free money to gamble with. Than they pay whatever you bought.

Cash and debit are the exceptions. Also, I've never really tracked it to the minute/seconds (I use a prepaid credit card most of the time), but it's entirely possible there's a longer delay than a few seconds. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

so it's a commodity. great! IT SHALL LIVE ON!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Anything that fluctuates as significantly as Bitcoins does is  :rolleyes:

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

but don't be fooled banks take your money and play with it a day or two, because it's free money to gamble with. Than they pay whatever you bought.

thats not the point, a debit transaction is instant. 

Cash and debit are the exceptions. Also, I've never really tracked it to the minute/seconds (I use a prepaid credit card most of the time), but it's entirely possible there's a longer delay than a few seconds. 

last week I paid a bill at a restaurant and, while walking across the street to the liquor store, checked my balance on my phone to see how much I could spend. The money from the restaurant was already taken out

Bitcoin can be a currency but, they have to tie it to something in real life so that it actually have some value, maybe as shares, silver, or anything that actually has value in the real world, even a currency like Dollar or Euro, until then it will just stay a crypto-currency, that has value only on the internet. until a major bank decides bitcoins are a thing, you can kiss that entire concept goodbye...  

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Bitcoin's biggest barrier is its volatility. It can drop from $1200 to $500 in a day. It's like the stock market, a single piece of bad news will make the value plummet.

last week I paid a bill at a restaurant and, while walking across the street to the liquor store, checked my balance on my phone to see how much I could spend. The money from the restaurant was already taken out

It isn't instant, actually. If you go to a gas station you'll usually see a charge of $100 for a day or two until the actual charge shows up. That doesn't mean it doesn't appear instantly, it usually does so you don't go spend $50 fifteen times then only pay for the first transaction.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Technically, no. It's called a debit card for a reason.

Cash and trade are the only instant forms of transactions.

a solid reason: it is NOT freaking backed by anything real in this world. In real world the currencies are backed by GOLD and that's why simply printing more doesn't create more value.

Another reason that everyone knows already is that people are using these things as investments, as stocks or some obscure item that they're hoping would rise in price, not as a money, which people trust 100% completely and with this NSA sh*t going on we're never gonna have 100% trust on some obscure online "currency" that's not backed by anything.

Why is this in the news section. This is not news, it's your opinion.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

tl;dr

Then why make this useless spam post that adds absolutely no value to the discussion and just takes up space?