AMD officially cuts prices of the 1st-gen Threadripper CPUs

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Launch price was fine. Remember, that was before Skylake-X launched. 

It was still not the right purchase for the platform, but it was still quite reasonable at the time. Though it was only the first stage of the Corean War.

Corean War. I like that.

Intel: let's put a new thing in our EULA to not allow people to compare our CPUs before and after microcode updates

AMD: let's slash the price of 1st gen Threadripper

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Intel: let's put a new thing in our EULA to not allow people to compare our CPUs before and after microcode updates

Haha. I just read that article too :) Idk what kind of drugs Intel are on but it looks like they're on a pretty bad trip.

9 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Nvidia: TEN. GIGARAYS

Reviews for the RTX series should be out around September 20th. We're going to get so damn many 1.21 jigawatt jokes.

The 1920x is a killer deal, to the point where I wonder if it would even make sense to "buy up" to the second gen 12 core...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

The 1920x is a killer deal, to the point where I wonder if it would even make sense to "buy up" to the second gen 12 core...

2920X doesn't launch until October, so currently "no" is the answer. I fully expect they won't sell that many 2920X either. 

I think this is more of a clearing stock move. The 1900X & 1920X never sold that well, while the 1950X sold really well. But, because these are Zeppelin dies, AMD will be producing them for a good 3-4 years. (Server parts.) They can replenish stock if it becomes necessary without too much issue. (The 1900X probably EOLs the last of the TR1 or TR2 generation for this fact, along with AMD having no reason to ever replace the SKU.)

When the 1900X & 1920X hit holiday sales, that's some dang nice home server/NAS platform for a good price. 

40 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

18 minutes ago, Sauron said:

AMD to intel rn.

th?id=OIP.ciByZaPE8PIKh2eVu-Z3mwHaF2%26p

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

What do I think?

That I almost want to pick it up right now but I cant because DDR4 prices are killing me, I would be spending as much for RAM as for the CPU. 

What kind of RAM would be ideal for a Thread Ripper build?

3 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

AMD: Nvidia is going to hurt us in the GPU market, so let's make Intel our punching bag

I thought people (including me) were super pissed by their new lineup.

27 minutes ago, SupremeGOAT said:

oh yeah? when i9 7980 XE comes down to $600 too then you'll all see

Nah... you can still buy the TR2950X cheaper than an i7 6950X... Intel and cheap just don't go along.

That said the i9 9900K will still shake Threadripper line up thanks to it's superior single thread performance, lower core latency and iGPU hardware acceleration while retaining satisfying multi-threading performance.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

12 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

What kind of RAM would be ideal for a Thread Ripper build?

At the very least 4x8GB... but I would prefer 4x16GB.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

At the very least 4x8GB... but I would prefer 4x16GB.

I was talking in terms of frequency. I think that's what impacts prices the most.

18 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

the i9 9900K will still shake Threadripper line up

18 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Intel and cheap just don't go along

heh i wish they would

Bolivia.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

1.21 jigarays

Its ya kids Mahty. They're AMD scrubs!

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, FloRolf said:

It kinda makes the 'lower end' second Threadrippers obsolete. Why pay twice for a 2920 over a 1920?

Because of the 300mhz of clock speed per core. At 12 cores that is like adding an extra core!

That being said I fully expect the 2970wx to drop below 1k in the next 3-5 months at some of the good chip outlets like microcenter.

If DDR4 prices werent through the roof i would upgrade my home server to TR and my current server(1700X) would become the gaming rig... :D

Will I get blocked for this?

Image result for jontron take all my money

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Nah... you can still buy the TR2950X cheaper than an i7 6950X... Intel and cheap just don't go along.

That said the i9 9900K will still shake Threadripper line up thanks to it's superior single thread performance, lower core latency and iGPU hardware acceleration while retaining satisfying multi-threading performance.

but that microcode update could lower that single thread performance enough that having the cores becomes more appealing especially when real ryzen 2 comes out

or if intel actually put hardware security in to these newer chips like that said they were

what performance impact will they have to single thread

52 minutes ago, pas008 said:

microcode update

This is drama.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

This is drama.

performance loss is drama

lol

3 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I thought people (including me) were super pissed by their new lineup.

I went as far as creating a macro that types this

wait for 3rd party reviews first

-custom macro

there are people that were pissed, but that doesnt stop others from being hyped.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

23 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I went as far as creating a macro that types this

wait for 3rd party reviews first

-custom macro

there are people that were pissed, but that doesnt stop others from being hyped.

Yeah I am hyped even if it doesn't beat the 1080ti by a good margin. I just want raytracing metro. 

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Intel: AMD is going to hurt us in the CPU market. Thank goodness we hired their GPU-side talent to make Nvidia our punching bag.

Nvidia singing: we're in the money... a lot of money... 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240