Linux performance crushes Windows on new 32-core AMD flagship

Humbug
1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

And depending on the problem, one or the other could make more sense. So to have both is the only good solution...

Personal preference sure but I cannot think of a case where a drive letter would be more appropriate, only personal preference and that mainly being "That's how I've always done it".

On 8/16/2018 at 5:56 AM, Stefan Payne said:

As Linux is based on some shit from the 60s...

On 8/16/2018 at 12:09 PM, suicidalfranco said:

written in 92 without any actual function other than some form of hello world...

Well, it's not incorrect.

Linux is based on Unix.  Much like BSD was.  BSD was the base for Mac OS , which was the base for OSX.
So technically he's not incorrect, and modern operating systems still use the codebase.

Unix is from 1969, and UNIX Epoch (Day 0 of the clock/Unix time)  is January 1st 1970. :)

Windows Epoch is January 1st 1601 for some reason.  Resulted in some funny bugs at work when we needed to build a photo timeline from metadata printed with Win32 timestamps.

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

Driver letters are terrible, mount points are far better which Windows can do as well. Ever tried to connect over 26 disks to Windows? Good luck using drive letters.

Well emojis are getting native support nowadays. Just mount it on the ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°): drive

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

written in 92 without any actual function other than some form of hello world...

Well, no.

As said, its based on UNIX, wich is a child of the late 60s...

And IIRC Linux was developed to be a free, compatible alternative to Unix at the time and also uses the Unix file structure, not the later CP/M File structure that for example you see with DOS, WIndows, OS/2.

Yes, they are trying to modernize Linux right now but you also sometimes break compatibility. And sometimes its better to start fresh and cut off all the old shit you are carrying around with you since the beginning.

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

Personal preference sure but I cannot think of a case where a drive letter would be more appropriate, only personal preference and that mainly being "That's how I've always done it".

You have a harder barrier between drive letters and mounting it to a folder as you have to type the letter and not use the "cd" command.

Welll, maybe I thought a bit more about text based shit because I grew up with DOS (5.0 and later 6.22 so more at the end of its lifetime)

And tbh: I haven't used Win 3.1 much at all. Was no reason to at the time.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

15 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, like me because Linux just doesn't do what I want it to and has no viable alternatives for some software (like MPC-HC or MPC-BE)...

And to be honest:
I think they should start with a blank sheet and make a new, wonderful and modern OS that is made for now, from the ground up, based on the CP/M Model for stuff (ie Letters and doublepoint for Drives, not the Mounting Rubbish)...

As Linux is based on some shit from the 60s...

Sadly that probably won't happen any time soon :(

Linux doesn't have alternative for media player classic? Really?

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

7 minutes ago, ltguy said:

Really, if you use MPC-HC and use for example that the next Button plays the next file in the Folder.

21 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Really, if you use MPC-HC and use for example that the next Button plays the next file in the Folder.

Enjoy Windows!

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Just now, ltguy said:

Enjoy Windows!

Do I have a choice?!
Its not like I want to.

But the rest just doesn't do what I want it to...

Especially in 2 Screen Enviroments, the Shortcuts Windows provides are awesome.

Especially Win+P if you need it to

5 hours ago, Hyperwerk said:

Well, it's not incorrect.

Linux is based on Unix.  Much like BSD was.  BSD was the base for Mach OS , which was the base for OSX.
So technically he's not incorrect, and modern operating systems still use the codebase.

Unix is from 1969, and UNIX Epoch (Day 0 of the clock/Unix time)  is January 1st 1970. :)

Windows Epoch is January 1st 1601 for some reason.  Resulted in some funny bugs at work when we needed to build a photo timeline from metadata printed with Win32 timestamps.

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Well, no.

As said, its based on UNIX, wich is a child of the late 60s...

And IIRC Linux was developed to be a free, compatible alternative to Unix at the time and also uses the Unix file structure, not the later CP/M File structure that for example you see with DOS, WIndows, OS/2.

unix-like.

Torvalds attempted to replicate the funcions of unix (minix in reality), he didn't simply take unix (minix) and work from that point forward.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

unix-like.

Torvalds attempted to replicate the funcions of unix (minix in reality), he didn't simply take unix (minix) and work from that point forward.

That doesn't make it any better, does it? 

The Basis or rather the concept of the OS is based on the mindset and circumstances of the mid to late 60s...

You did some strange things at the time because of the limitations of the hardware you wouldn't do today.

In short:
Between the Concept of Unix or the Initial Release of Linux there was so much change that it could make sense to start anew with a blank slate to develop a modern Operating system that is made for the circumstances we have right now.

Like all that GPU Stuff or massively Multitrheaded things...

Though M$ should do the same and make a Windows NT-Next with an emulation/translation layer for older Windows versions and start the thing fresh from the start and do anything new...

17 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That doesn't make it any better, does it? 

The Basis or rather the concept of the OS is based on the mindset and circumstances of the mid to late 60s...

You did some strange things at the time because of the limitations of the hardware you wouldn't do today.

In short:
Between the Concept of Unix or the Initial Release of Linux there was so much change that it could make sense to start anew with a blank slate to develop a modern Operating system that is made for the circumstances we have right now.

Like all that GPU Stuff or massively Multitrheaded things...

Though M$ should do the same and make a Windows NT-Next with an emulation/translation layer for older Windows versions and start the thing fresh from the start and do anything new...

linux being posix compliant doesn't mean it brigs with it code from the 60s. That's like saying that everyone who follow the paradigms of oop is still stuck in the 60s.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

4 hours ago, ltguy said:

On Ubuntu you have the option to download VLC which is a known alternative not only to Linux but also on Windows. It should normally support all the standard formats and such so you won´t have any problems when you want to watch something.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Do I have a choice?!
Its not like I want to.

But the rest just doesn't do what I want it to...

Especially in 2 Screen Enviroments, the Shortcuts Windows provides are awesome.

Especially Win+P if you need it to

Win-P switches between mirror/extend desktop on my Ubuntu machine, what does it do on Windows?

1 hour ago, Master Delta Chief said:

On Ubuntu you have the option to download VLC which is a known alternative not only to Linux but also on Windows. It should normally support all the standard formats and such so you won´t have any problems when you want to watch something.

I know of VLC and its a piece of shit compared to MPC-HC and MPC-BE as it also has/had problems with Subtitles...

SMPlayer was my favourite on Linux.

21 minutes ago, shiftyphil said:

Win-P switches between mirror/extend desktop on my Ubuntu machine, what does it do on Windows?

Oh they implemented that? That is great.

The 90° Clockwise rotated MacOS Dock and the Apple "Start Menu" is still something I really hate. And some other People as well...

6 hours ago, Master Delta Chief said:

Yep, VLC rocks!

Both on windows and Linux.

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I know of VLC and its a piece of shit compared to MPC-HC and MPC-BE as it also has/had problems with Subtitles...

SMPlayer was my favourite on Linux.

That's unfortunate. Personally, I think VLC is one of the best video players out there on the software market. It's a very good alternative. Though I never had any trouble with subtitles and what not. What were the problems you had with the subtitles on VLC exactly? 

Also, a few months or a year ago, there was this problem with VLC where hackers were able to use some sort of exploit in the subtitles file or whatever. That kind of made me worried back then about he software, but the issue has been resolved.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Just now, Master Delta Chief said:

I think VLC is one of the best video players out there on the software market. It's a very good alternative.

I did until a few years ago. Now, on Windows, it tends to have issues with .ISOs, unencrypted BluRay, and anything encoded with x265.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I think people miss a big point when they say that Android is Linux and has a big market share in the phone space. But what they like to forget is the reason it is is not because it is Linux or open source, but that Google pushes Android and spends money developing and maintaining it.

For Linux to pass windows it is going to need a cooperation behind it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

8 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

For Linux to pass windows it is going to need a cooperation behind it

It needs the money of a large company behind it. They already have Canonical.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Linux and has a big market share in the phone space. But what 

For Linux to pass windows it is going to need a cooperation behind it.

Exactly!
It needs an entity that kicks the Linux Developers in the Balls when they mess shit up or don't do something that isn't a good idea.

Still, there is much work to be done for it to be viable on Desktop...

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

It needs the money of a large company behind it. They already have Canonical.

Canonical isn't big enough to kick anyone in the balls or fork anything they need to.

It needs more and bigger companys for the Desktop...

For the Server/Workstation Market you have a ton of Companys behind it spending money on it. For example Red Hat or SuSe (one of the Oldest Linux companys).

12 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

It needs an entity that kicks the Linux Developers in the Balls when they mess shit up or don't do something that isn't a good idea.

already have that figure, his name is linus and He does not forgive bad code

source: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/8/3/621

TL;DR: never show a kernel patch that breaks the user's applications in the process to Linus. One thing MS could learn from.

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

already have that figure, his name is linus and He does not forgive bad code

source: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/8/3/621

Yeah, but he is only one guy that does one project, though it is pretty important, its not the only important one....

And there lies the Problem that we can't clone Linus T. and need more guys like him at the rudder, that are responsible for example a good GUI that should use the Windows Shortcuts. Because that's the target Audience that wants to switch.

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

TL;DR: never show a kernel patch that breaks the user's applications in the process to Linus. One thing MS could learn from.

When did M$ cause Applications to break?

In most cases its either Incompetence or the need for a driver that isn't compatible to newer Windows versions (ie Safedisc or Starforce Copy Protection Crap).

One thing that broke many things was the introduction of UAC - something you know out of the Linux world since the beginning. 

And was also in the Guidelines that software should be able to work on the normal, reduced User mode...

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

When did M$ cause Applications to break?

In most cases its either Incompetence or the need for a driver that isn't compatible to newer Windows versions (ie Safedisc or Starforce Copy Protection Crap).

One thing that broke many things was the introduction of UAC - something you know out of the Linux world since the beginning. 

And was also in the Guidelines that software should be able to work on the normal, reduced User mode...

seriously? how many times MS as released an update where app x either stopped working, or got magically removed?

And don't even have to go search to far back, Windows 10 has been the main actor of many of these cases.

e8e1798b-ac68-421a-9c12-e40e592f8d54.thumb.png.b5c44f437fa5dd301d6057fe78c0fafa.png

and that's with search restricted to just microsoft answer page

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah, but he is only one guy that does one project, though it is pretty important, its not the only important one....

And there lies the Problem that we can't clone Linus T. and need more guys like him at the rudder, that are responsible for example a good GUI that should use the Windows Shortcuts. Because that's the target Audience that wants to switch.

that's just you believing that the only good OS design is the one started by MS because that's what you got used to, only used or what you started learning computer with (also known as baby duck syndrome). You can't complain about Linux being poorly coded when your issues lies with third party that absolutely have nothing to do with Linux itself other than releasing an application that runs on top of it.

It's as if i went out and say Windows is coded like crap because McCaffee Antivirus is making everything run slow in my computer.