AMD ThreadRipper Gen 2 Reviews

The Benjamins
2 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Just double checked and he got 756W of total system consumption, 800w on the cpu itself would have been hilarious

In the audio, he said Cinebench was higher. But, yeah, that was toasty.

Still, that's really not that much power Per Core. There's just a LOT of cores. 

Intel's A-series is going to be interesting. The Hexa-channel memory is obviously necessary, but that's going to be a toasty part itself. At Stock, the 2990WX is pretty tame, which is pretty awesome to see. 

The 2970WX isn't out until October, but I think that's probably going to be the "Render's best friend" in this cycle. 

The 2950X with PBO active (and good cooling) is probably the best Buy from the stack. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

In the audio, he said Cinebench was higher. But, yeah, that was toasty.

Still, that's really not that much power Per Core. There's just a LOT of cores. 

Intel's A-series is going to be interesting. The Hexa-channel memory is obviously necessary, but that's going to be a toasty part itself. At Stock, the 2990WX is pretty tame, which is pretty awesome to see. 

Honestly I feel like that is a lot a of power.

Pcper hit 4.1GHz at total system consumption of only 620W in R15 because they actually understand that voltage scaling across 32 cores matters. With the fact that zepplin dies already have very little silicon lottery to them and TR gets the top 5% of zepplin dies effectively killing the idea of the lottery at all. It seems to me that we're now actually seeing OC knowledge/skill come into play. I'm guessing HW Unboxed's 2990WX should be able to get the same exact OC basically. I give der8auer a pass because he basically used auto OC.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, Swatson said:

Pcper hit 4.1GHz at total system consumption of only 620W in R15 because they actually understand that voltage scaling across 32 cores matters. With the fact that zepplin dies already have very little silicon lottery to them and TR gets the top 5% of zepplin dies effectively killing the idea of the lottery at all. It seems to me that we're now actually seeing OC knowledge/skill come into play. I'm guessing HW Unboxed's 2990WX should be able to get the same exact OC basically. I give der8uer a pass because he basically used auto OC.

Steve had time constraint issues. He does his massive benchmarking runs, and I'm sure he'll dial in better with some time. He gave us such a wide array of benchmarks, that I'm not too worried about it. I do look forward to whatever craziness Gamer's Nexus comes up with, at least after they get moved in. Someone has to try to melt some VRMs.

6 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Pcper hit 4.1GHz at total system consumption of only 620W in R15 because they actually understand that voltage scaling across 32 cores matters. With the fact that zepplin dies already have very little silicon lottery to them and TR gets the top 5% of zepplin dies effectively killing the idea of the lottery at all. It seems to me that we're now actually seeing OC knowledge/skill come into play. I'm guessing HW Unboxed's 2990WX should be able to get the same exact OC basically. I give der8auer a pass because he basically used auto OC.

I sort of agree with this statement. However, these being journalists testing a product for the consumer market. I feel they are obliged to use the ''auto'' settings in the main review article, then they can later add on another overclock article separate from the main review.

Hopefully someone is gonna be testing how significant memory performance is. What i gathered from the unboxing videos was AMD sending 3200MHZ memory chips as part of the review kit. Which is about the price sweet spot for DDR4 memory. However, this being a 1800USD CPU, i don't think it unreasonable to assume any would be buyers would buy faster memory if it significantly impacted performance.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Maybe someone who can speak the language of shouting will correct me but it also looks like the 2990WX LN2 record has been surpassed again at 5.3GHz vs previous 5.1GHz

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/news/hardware/prozessoren/47117-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-bei-5-3-ghz-bricht-rekorde.html

zuMH336.png

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Also they forgot to peel away the plastic from the cooler so it affected some benchmarks. 

Image result for facepalm

Every first time builder's mistake

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

oh wow, anything dependant on sourcing from lots of RAM hammered the 2990WX o_o

there was a short discussion in the other thread regarding possible RAM topology in the rumors of the 32-core threadripper 2. I wonder if "single-channel for all CCXes" instead of the "dual channel for two and the others have to ask" would have fared better here (and how much impact would it have on non-workstation workloads)

Yeah I remember pointing out that the two dies without any I/O access (especially memory) would have an impact on memory-intensive tasks. I didn't imagine it would be this bad going with two memory channels for two dies and leave the other two to rely on the Infinity Fabric for memory access from said dies.

The memory bandwidth issue for the other 16 cores of the 2990WX is so bad, memory-intensive tasks, encoding, and gaming performance was slain by AMD's own 2950X and the other parts that both AMD themselves and Intel offer. Even the Intel Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition CPU, which is still grossly overpriced, outpaces the WX series of CPUs in gaming. Not that these HEDT parts make any sense in gaming, I'm just pointing out what I saw in the Hardware Unboxed video.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Ignore my previous post about 5.3GHz, we 5.4 GHz now

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-overclocked-to-5-4-ghz

Spoiler

ab8.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jurunce said:

Yeah I remember pointing out that the two dies without any I/O access (especially memory) would have an impact on memory-intensive tasks. I didn't imagine it would be this bad going with two memory channels for two dies and leave the other two to rely on the Infinity Fabric for memory access from said dies.

The memory bandwidth issue for the other 16 cores of the 2990WX is so bad, memory-intensive tasks, encoding, and gaming performance was slain by AMD's own 2950X and the other parts that both AMD themselves and Intel offer. Even the Intel Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition CPU, which is still grossly overpriced, outpaces the WX series of CPUs in gaming. Not that these HEDT parts make any sense in gaming, I'm just pointing out what I saw in the Hardware Unboxed video.

Intel's HEDT is slightly better than AMD anyway in gaming, but it's going to take a good number of months of tweaks to the Windows Scheduler and other things. On the Linux side, the 2990WX is a straight up killer, as the OS is far more designed to handle stranger CPU Topologies. (If you think the WX series is strange, look what happened with 2x CPU servers.) 

I think they'll get the bigger issues that Hardware Unboxed ran into fixed over time, but this really seems far more like a Linux CPU than a normal Windows one. Which brings up a good question: would the WX series test differently under Windows Server?

1 minute ago, Swatson said:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-overclocked-to-5-4-ghz

Reveal hidden contents

ab8.jpg

Clearly, the LN2 guys are like, "we're going to get new records or burn holes in this motherboards!".

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

hexkey how many times do i repeatedly tag someone in one comment before i get banned

LOL. xD

25 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Clearly, the LN2 guys are like, "we're going to get new records or burn holes in this motherboards!".

ya a those clocks the amps are crazy high 650A+, hope amd introduces a Dc to Dc step down converter with their next socket revision, at least on the server/ws side it might help

btw where are the Ws boards i hope that at least zen 2 gets some, something is just not right when you have gamer brands and colors on what really is a server cpu 

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

ya a those clocks the amps are crazy high 650A+, hope amd introduces a Dc to Dc step down converter with their next socket revision, at least on the server/ws side it might help

btw where are the Ws boards i hope that at least zen 2 gets some, something is just not right when you have gamer brands and colors on what really is a server cpu 

Well, you can buy 8c, 16c and 24c Epycs already. AMD expects you will if you need all of the PCIe lanes anyway.

9 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Asus would be a prime candidate to make a nice WS board but they dont seem to want to make any TR2 boards and just ship a heatsink and fan.. They are shooting themselves in the foot me thinks

I'm going to make an easy prediction: Most of the really odd 2990WX results will go away by the time the 2970WX launches in October.

I forgot that both Ryzen & Threadripper needed Windows Scheduler updates. I also forgot that a good chunk of games just wouldn't load with the 1950X installed because of simply too many threads. New Topology = New Scheduler & Windows patches.

The 2990WX is definitely a render box, but some of the oddities will go away with patches.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

54 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Reveal hidden contents

ab8.jpg

How dare you :P

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

keep an watch on that page as derbaur is aiming at dual 7601 on ln2 which might be enough for some crazy scores

Hmm, Interesting. I will say that I am starting to get rubbed a little wrong by some of the prices that were stated in some of the comparisons. I have seen quite fluid prices depending on the region. I suppose honestly it's not too big of a deal though, as I know that most of the people buying these products will research the prices available to them and factor in their own workloads.

Welp, I guess this went from comment to status quite quickly. Ooops.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.