School is using glue mousetraps. What do I do?

jtmoseley
On 8/5/2018 at 12:07 AM, killcomic said:

Harden the fuck up?

Mate, I was born and raised in a bloody dictatorship, I've had secret police follow and threaten me. I've had family tortured and killed. You think you're tough because you have no empathy? you're a clown.

Do you even know what human traps are? They the ones that kill quickly, like the oldest, cheapest traps you can get.

Doesn't mean you are tough. For all I know, you and your family could just be bunch of pacifist gandhi who couldn't and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

16 hours ago, killcomic said:

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise that empathy was offensive to your toughness.

Nothing tough about lacking human qualities, but hey, if it makes you feel like a big man...

Nature cares not about empathy. Empathy is merely an evolutionary trait to prevent us humans, who are total psychopaths by nature, from murdering each other to extinction. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

16 hours ago, killcomic said:

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise that empathy was offensive to your toughness.

Nothing tough about lacking human qualities, but hey, if it makes you feel like a big man...

cats eat mice, why do you support mice killers with your avatar? Are you a sociopath?

On 8/1/2018 at 10:00 PM, jtmoseley said:

I'm not saying i'd prefer the traditional trap, if anything the bait over a bucket of water styled trap is the most humane. They just drown.

The issue with glue traps is that they don't die immediately. Walked into school today and we found that all of them were still alive, and someone just beat them with a stick to kill them. They aren't humane at all, and count on starvation/suffocation to kill. The hurting part is when their head is still free and they chew through their limbs.

Drowning isn't very "humane" either.

They won't die immediately in water. They'll try to swim and escape from it, and drown as they get exhausted. Traditional traps are much faster.

They're pests, so whatever is necessary to remove them from the premises in a way that does not pose a risk to students, faculty, or equipment, is fair game.

Alternatively, they could just deploy cats throughout the school to take care of the mouse problem, though that might take a while. (See Tom & Jerry)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I mean, on the flip side, I can have empathy for mice and rats and hamsters etc. you have as pets, or that are just out in the field doing their thing...but it's just like insects.  They leave me alone, I leave them alone.  They come over uninvited, destroy my property, or bite me? I become wrath incarnate.

You've still got the fact that they carry diseases...but no one's going out of their way to exterminate armadillos aside from clueless motorists.

19 minutes ago, Angel102 said:

cats eat mice, why do you support mice killers with your avatar? Are you a sociopath?

Uh... Have you bothered to read or even comprehend the thread. Thre's a clear difference between a natural course of action, like a cat eating a mouse, and having a unnecessarily prolonged death by starvation and dehydration, like glue traps.

Seriously, it's not a hard concept to get a grasp on.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Nature cares not about empathy. Empathy is merely an evolutionary trait to prevent us humans, who are total psychopaths by nature, from murdering each other to extinction. 

If we were psychopaths by nature we wouldn't have empathy as it's the lack of empathy that makes someone a osychopath.

What's so humane about drowning? Have you had that experience yourself? 

I have almost drowned few years ago, was nothing like "oh, they just drown"

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 hour ago, Quadriplegic said:

What's so humane about drowning? Have you had that experience yourself? 

I have almost drowned few years ago, was nothing like "oh, they just drown"

it's not like you can get consent to kill a mouse from the actual mouse either or ship them off to Dignitas in Switzerland, being humane has nothing to do with allowing vermin to infest your food, your home, your workplace, your kids. Mice are a very real health hazard to actual human beings. There's literally nothing more humane than preventing actual humans getting diseases from pests. The same goes for rats, pigeons(rats with wings) and other sources of diseases.

8 hours ago, killcomic said:

Uh... Have you bothered to read or even comprehend the thread. Thre's a clear difference between a natural course of action, like a cat eating a mouse, and having a unnecessarily prolonged death by starvation and dehydration, like glue traps.

Seriously, it's not a hard concept to get a grasp on.

So getting eaten alive is less cruel to you? Whaaaaaaaaat???

Sudo make me a sandwich 

42 minutes ago, wasab said:

not to mention the usual chase beforehand.

Since they can carry disease and destroy property, try to imagine them as a pest like mosquitoes- but worse. Sure they're cute looking, but they can do a lot of damage.

3 hours ago, wasab said:

Death is quicker than slowly dying over the course of days due to hunger and dehydration. 

There's no comparison whatsoever.

1 hour ago, killcomic said:

Death is quicker than slowly dying over the course of days due to hunger and dehydration. 

There's no comparison whatsoever.

Since when did farmine become worse method to die than say murder or getting eaten alive? I perfer starving than slowly getting my skins and organs chew off any day. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

13 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Drowning isn't very "humane" either.

Yeah, I had to take a double take when I read that part.

13 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

I mean, on the flip side, I can have empathy for mice and rats and hamsters etc. you have as pets, or that are just out in the field doing their thing...but it's just like insects.  They leave me alone, I leave them alone.  They come over uninvited, destroy my property, or bite me? I become wrath incarnate.

You've still got the fact that they carry diseases...but no one's going out of their way to exterminate armadillos aside from clueless motorists.

Yep, I'm the same.  As long as the darn nasty buggers stay outside and don't mess with me or get inside, I don't bother.  Otherwise, if any show up inside the house, yeah they going to wind up dead by either a trap, my cat, or me whacking the crap out of it with a heavy object.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 8/1/2018 at 10:00 PM, jtmoseley said:

I'm not saying i'd prefer the traditional trap, if anything the bait over a bucket of water styled trap is the most humane. They just drown.

You're talking about being humane, and then talk about just letting them drown. Using a conventional trap is more humane because they'll likely just instantly die, whereas drowning will cause it to suffer. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

10 minutes ago, wasab said:

Since when did farmine become worse method to die than say murder or getting eaten alive? I perfer starving than slowly getting my skins and organs chew off any day. 

Your preference leaves out murder. While I certainly would not want to be eaten alive, if I had a choice between starving and being murdered, I'll choose being murdered as long as it's a quick death. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

3 hours ago, EPENEX said:

Since they can carry disease and destroy property, try to imagine them as a pest like mosquitoes- but worse. Sure they're cute looking, but they can do a lot of damage.

This sort of perspective is not really all that great. Much like other organisms, they're doing what they can to keep their species going. Your perspective leaves out the idea that they're aware of their own existence, and pushes the idea that they're inherently bad creatures. They're doing what they can to survive, and considering they're likely aware of their own existence, in my opinion, it makes them more than just a "pest", Mosquitoes might be aware of their own existence, but certainly not to the same extent as mice, and thus I do not care if they die. With a mouse, they're going to experience all the suffering you're going to give them, and thus, in my opinion, it's best to minimize said suffering.

1 hour ago, wasab said:

That's what you think. Do you really want to die, lingering for days, trapped, with you organs slowly shutting down as opposed to a quick death?

There's a reason why terminally and chronically ill patients opt for euthanasia. A prolonged death is a horrible thing.

@Godlygamer23 Water traps are more humane than glue traps. Unless you check and dispatch mice caught in the glue trap, they basically starve to death. For catching bulk mice, the bucket trap is still pretty much king IMO. For around the house, the good old classic victor snap trap is all you need. Just pack the loop of metal with peanut butter and set it. Works every time.

For anyone feeling sorry for killing mice, some light reading about the diseases they carry. (most notably Hantavirus)

https://www.cdc.gov/rodents/diseases/direct.html

If it's between children getting HPS or some vermin dying, I believe the answer is pretty obvious.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

Water traps are more humane than glue traps. Unless you check and dispatch mice caught in the glue trap, they basically starve to death

If you're talking about doing things the most humane way, if people aren't going to check on and dispatch the mice, a standard trap is best. 

20 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

For anyone feeling sorry for killing mice, some light reading about the diseases they carry. (most notably Hantavirus)

My previous comment had nothing to do with diseases. It had everything to do with consciousness and awareness of pain and suffering. This does not change my view. 

On 8/7/2018 at 6:21 AM, Godlygamer23 said:

Your preference leaves out murder. While I certainly would not want to be eaten alive, if I had a choice between starving and being murdered, I'll choose being murdered as long as it's a quick death. 

In animal studies especially with Sprague Dawley and/or BALB/c mice, it's called "cervical dislocation". https://research.utexas.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/10/guideline04.pdf

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Well take a cat , and when that cat play with an agonizing mouse having fun you will see that glue trapping pests are not cruel, and with children there? omg just kill those plague bringers... Its sad yes but not cruel, Take that empathy and effort first to feed the poor in the 3rd world because those morals are made by human, if a rat had more size than you it will eat you in a cruel way, but thats how nature is... spooky... If we kill pests with glue traps is not cruel, its cruel if we enjoy that, and spoiler all the predators enjoy killing, one friend of mine has an eagle that his price is flesh blood prey, if the eagle fails at hunt his eat will be a cold prey if the eagle does well it has a recent killed prey (fresh blood), have you ever seen a killer whale toying with a prey?.....

My family had a dog rescue center and by law if the vet didnt kill the animals 2 months before taken IT WAS ILEGAL TO KEEP THEM ALIVE (thats how works, we can be sued if we let live a rescued dog more than X weeks) And the vet who kills them is like hitler with jews? no dude... Dont be like that , if you want change change the basis not the poor old man that throws glued traps into school for kids safety (xD better than poison the rats or the kids ...)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.