School is using glue mousetraps. What do I do?

jtmoseley

My school has a mouse problem, and they are using tons of glue traps. I know these are inhumane, so what can I do to stop them?

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

See if they'll switch to more conventional traps. Instant kill, so mice don't suffer.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Ask them to stop I guess? when you say school do you mean college or high school? 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

Start a petition

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

I know these are inhuman

glue traps?

I better not mention our kind of traps then lol

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Edit : I ain't deleting what I wrote, for I believe only coward delete something they've said online from fear of retribution, but don't bother reading the striked portion of this post or my other reply in this thread. Not worth your time to read them or mine to answer back to whatever you have to say about them.

I just have a strong dislike for mice from the multiple infestations we've had over the years from the time I was a kid to now as a grown man and made that dislike show up in a disproportionate amount here.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my opinions, even if a few of you agreed with them initially, it wasn't right.

(And no, no one forced me to write this or even asked me to contrary to what some may think from other replies in this thread(and another thread that was deleted) by a particular user)

The real question here, is why do you give a damn? They are MICE. They are a literal pest that reproduce at an astounding rate.
Glue traps are proven to quickly catch mice without letting them escape unlike other traps that a mice can easily just eat the bait and escape without getting chopped off(traditional traps) or fall into a pit trap(catch and release)

They obviously want to get rid of them ASAP before the next school term and without leaving a trail a dead mice everywhere. (with poisoned baits)

Do you WANT to have mice shit in your cafeteria food? It already taste bad, you don't want it to taste even worst.

A single female can give birth up to 10 times a year and get on average 6 to 8 young per liter.

Each mice reach sexual maturity within 2 months.

Do the math on the serious infestation you can have on your hands if you do nothing. They spread disease/bacteria and can cause a ton of damage to your property if left unattended for too longs, by eating the wiring, wood, walls, etc...

Catch and Release traps are simply ineffective, mice aren't as stupid as you might think and will mostly avoid that trap or find a way to eat the bait without falling in the trap. Not to mention those traps are usually elevated and mice tend to just run along the sides of walls, avoiding the trap altogether. The end result of this is a longer period of time needed to get rid of them all. (Not an option anywhere)

Also, mice will still suffer with traditional traps.

While maybe not as much as glue traps(depending on how they get caught or how you see it), it's not that rare for them to get snapped on a different body part than their head(exactly because they can move), like their legs, resulting in a slow agonizing death.

I've heard the high pitch cries of mice getting caught in those traps a hell of a lot more than those that get caught in glue traps, that's for sure, because they generally don't cry in glue traps, either because their mouth got glued or simply because they can longer move, thus cannot injure themselves.
The only times they get hurt with glue traps, is when they will try escape and rip their skin off, but that's quite rare, it's mainly when they barely touched the trap.

Now stop being so damn sensitive about things that have zero impact on your life. Next thing you tell us is that you catch and release spiders as well? 

(It's not my intention to come out as an angry mean person, but come on! You really shouldn't be batting an eye for killing pests/home invaders, regardless of the method. They aren't humans and we don't love them the way we do with real pets and livestock) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

15 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

glue traps?

I better not mention our kind of traps then lol

Tin can smeared with peanut butter on a rod over a bucket of water and a little ramp leading up to it? That's what was effective for the shop I worked at a long time ago.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, jtmoseley said:

My school has a mouse problem, and they are using tons of glue traps. I know these are inhumane, so what can I do to stop them?

mice are vermin that spread untold diseases and bacteria through a combination of urine and parasites on their bodies, not to mention they can do massive damage to wiring and other physical areas as well as contaminate food stored in kitchens that you most likely eat.

The best way to deal with them is to kill them as fast as possible. Or bring in a lot of cats.

10 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

The real question here, is why do you give a damn? They are MICE. They are a literal pest that reproduce at an astounding rate.
Glue traps are proven to quickly catch mice without letting them escape unlike other traps that a mice can easily just eat the bait and escape without getting chopped off(traditional traps) or fall into a pit trap(catch and release)

They obviously want to get rid of them ASAP before the next school term.

Do you WANT to have mice shit in your cafeteria food? It already taste bad, you don't want it to taste even worst.

A single female can give birth up to 10 times a year and get on average 6 to 8 young per liter.

Each mice reach sexual maturity within 2 months.

Do the math on the serious infestation you can have on your hands if you do nothing.

Catch and Release traps are simply ineffective, mice aren't as stupid as you might think and will mostly avoid that trap or find a way to eat the bait without falling in the trap. Not to mention those traps are usually elevated and mice tend to just run along the sides of walls, avoiding the trap altogether. The end result of this is a longer period of time needed to get rid of them all.

Also, mice will still suffer with traditional traps.

While maybe not as much as glue traps(depending on how they get caught or how you see it), it's not that rare for them to get snapped on a different body part than their head(exactly because they can move), like their legs, resulting in a slow agonizing death.

I've heard the high pitch cries of mice getting caught in those traps a hell of a lot more than in glue traps, that's for sure, because they generally don't cry in glue traps, either because their mouth got glued or simply because they can longer move, not like they get hurt if they don't struggle.
The only times they get hurt with glue traps, is when they will try escape and rip their skin off, but that's quite rare, it's mainly when they barely touched the trap. You can easily finish them off too.

Now stop being so damn sensitive about things that have zero impact on your life. Next thing you tell us is that you catch and release spiders as well? 

I'm not saying i'd prefer the traditional trap, if anything the bait over a bucket of water styled trap is the most humane. They just drown.

The issue with glue traps is that they don't die immediately. Walked into school today and we found that all of them were still alive, and someone just beat them with a stick to kill them. They aren't humane at all, and count on starvation/suffocation to kill. The hurting part is when their head is still free and they chew through their limbs.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

Tell them you'll wait around in the evenings for them with a hammer for free, problem solved.

They have a cost saving alternative to incentivize them to switch and you get verification in knowing they get a quick humane death.

Shawn Woods Youtube channel has a nice collection of videos about mouse traps. Look there and suggest your school the most cost effective ones (which are cheaper than glue ones and as effective).

1 minute ago, Niksa said:

Shawn Woods Youtube channel has a nice collection of videos about mouse traps. Look there and suggest your school the most cost effective ones (which are cheaper than glue ones and as effective).

Yeah I've seen shawn woods, thats why I know about glue traps in the first place. 

Here I found a video he has on them 

IMO traditional snap traps are the most humane...though there is a risk for blood contaminating the area and they're a one time deal then you have to reset them. Water traps are great for bulk catching because they don't have to really be reset. They're not really as humane because the mouse swims around until completely exhausted before drowning. Plus the resulting mouse soup needs to be tended to frequently...more so in hot weather. You have to have a good place to dispose of it. A school may not have that. Glue traps are cheap and easy. They don't need to be set you just peel back the label and put them down with some bait. When they're used you toss them. I can see the appeal... though it just sounds like the school decided to take on the mouse issue themselves instead of hiring a pro.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Find some from youtuber Shawn Woods. 

He does mousetrap videos all the time. He did one on glue traps and you can present this to show why they’re bad. 

The “best” one is a bucket (with or without water to drown them) a way for them to climb up, & a spinning bar to drop the mice into the bucket. That’s one of his favorite & most effective traps. Can catch many mice swiftly. 

https://mousetrapmonday.com/

YouTube channel:

https://m.youtube.com/user/historichunter/videos

i think the videos are interesting & I do feel bad for the mice that die but the mechanics of the traps are interesting to me. He does talk about pros and cons & humanity of traps. Even traps that don’t kill can cause extreme stress & he talks about them. 

Edit:

oops you heard of him already! Sorry! ... email peta? 

LOL! sorry amigo,no jk. They are RATS! ! Bad bad news, I have one question. Why are you more worried about the rats than you seem to care about why there are rats in the first place. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, aki adaki said:

They are RATS

They're mice. Rats are preferable, they're bigger so they can't get in and out of as many places. They're also typically cleaner animals than mice.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

They're mice. Rats are preferable, they're bigger so they can't get in and out of as many places. They're also typically cleaner animals than mice.

I don't like mice or rats. To me vermin is vermin. I don't feel empathic towards disease carrying vermin. I don't feel bad for a dead cockroach, or a dead bird. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just now, aki adaki said:

I don't feel empathic towards disease carrying vermin

Yeah rats are no more 'disease carrying vermin' than dogs, cats, or other common pets.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

I don't like mice or rats. To me vermin is vermin. I don't feel empathic towards disease carrying vermin. I don't feel bad for a dead cockroach, or a dead bird. 

Most people are not sociopaths and do feel empathy.
It's one thing to kill mice, the other is to kill them in the most drawn out, hideous way possible.
You want to give them a quick, humane death. it's a basic human compulsion not wanting to see others, whether humans or not, suffer.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Just now, Drak3 said:

Yeah rats are no more 'disease carrying vermin' than dogs, cats, or other common pets.

We get our pets vaccinations, we don't get that for a rat. Why are you trying to argue with this? They are a pest. 

@killcomic it's just a mouse lol its not a dog or cat... 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, killcomic said:

That's what makes us human.

What makes us human is our ability to use tools, capability of higher thought, and biological makeup. Our kind has more than proven that "humanity" is irrelevant to being human.

We get our pets vaccinations, we don't get that for a rat. Why are you trying to argue with this? They are a pest. 

You can get pet rats. You can come across stray dogs and cats.

Hell, any rat (outside of NYC) I'd trust to be closer to disease free than vaccinated cats.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

@killcomic it's just a mouse lol its not a dog or cat... 

Ahem, yes 'LOL' indeed, but it makes no difference. It is a basic human behaviour not wanting to watch others suffer, whether human or not. Lack of empathy is the trait of a sociopath.

Just now, killcomic said:

Ahem, yes 'LOL' indeed, but it makes no difference. It is a basic human behaviour not wanting to watch others suffer, whether human or not. Lack of empathy is the trait of a sociopath.

I don't see the need for this. I never said I want to see it suffer, I'd rather not. But if you get a rat infestation what are you going to do? Welcome them to your home? Thanks for indirectly calling a sociopath BTW, over a fucking rat trap... 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

What makes us human is our ability to use tools, capability of higher thought, and biological makeup. Our kind has more than proven that "humanity" is irrelevant to being human.

What makes us human is awareness of our own existence and the ability to contemplate our place in our universe. A big part of that is empathy, without it, we could have never survived as a species.

9 minutes ago, aki adaki said:

I don't see the need for this. I never said I want to see it suffer, I'd rather not. But if you get a rat infestation what are you going to do? Welcome them to your home? Thanks for indirectly calling a sociopath BTW, over a fucking rat trap... 

The solution is simple. Get instant kill traps. They are the cheapest traps available.

I'm not calling you a sociopath over a trap. I'm implying it over the outward lack of empathy you're displaying. Whether it's just an act to make yourself look tough for some reason or not, only you know that.