Another one from NSA, at least since 2007 they can hijack you Wi-fi from at least 8 miles away.

MatheusSanzo

Attendees at the Chaos Communications Congress in Hamburg this weekend got a surprising rundown of the NSA's surveillance capabilities, courtesy of security researcher Jacob Appelbaum.

Alongside pre-packaged exploits that allowed control over iOS devices and any phone communicating through GSM, Appelbaum detailed a device that targets computers through packet injection, seeding exploits from up to eight miles away. He even speculated the exploits could be delivered by drone, although he conceded that in most cases, an unmarked van would likely be more practical.

Original Article: http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/30/5256636/nsa-tailored-access-jacob-appelbaum-speech-30c3

The guy believes that they are still doing it and if they are doing it since 2007, we are way more fu***d now.

Signatures are stupid.

I hate to break it to you guys, but pretty much anyone with a bit of computer knowledge and something like a Ubiquiti Bullet and a Yagi antenna can do this fairly easily.

Using a 5 year old router, some brass rod, and a small stick I was able to pickup wifi networks around 2 miles away, I was just messing around with building antennas and wasn't trying to crack into them, but that wouldn't take much more work.

Can we stop with these tin foil hat NSA theories?

they arnt

didnt u hear about the leak ?

nsa-ant-nightstand.jpg?w=604&h=781

S3224_CANDYGRAM.jpg

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I hate to break it to you guys, but pretty much anyone with a bit of computer knowledge and something like a Ubiquiti Bullet and a Yagi antenna can do this fairly easily.

post of the wifi still in use have the WPS venerability which makes it 100x easier

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

What's next?

NSA hacking babies and spying us using them!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

"Securing The Future" >>>> "Creating as many ways as possible to spy on our own citizens".

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The sad thing is that 90% of them isn't even theories, they are facts.

+1 to this. I really don't like it when people tell me to stop talking about these crazy conspiracy theories. I say the same thing to them, that it isn't because it is not a theory it is fact. 

To be fair, looking how bad things are in Russia at the moment, I kinda like NSA being so serious about this.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Holy crap, more news about the NSA. Will their antics ever stop?

we need an NSA thread seperate from the news thread

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

we need an NSA thread seperate from the news thread

At this rate we'll need a entire sub forum for it.   

Not all that worried; I can't even get a wireless connection to our router from 10 feet away, let alone 8 miles. 10 inch walls made of steel reinforced concrete will do that to a microwave transmitter (they like to over-build houses in Germany).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

This is probably the least surprising 'news' to me. I just saw a documentary a few weeks ago that spoke and showed a device such as the Nightstand that you can use to intercept mobile phones using Wi-Fi (as long as the device has the ability to connect to Wi-Fi) - to steal information, inject a virus, etc. These devices are actually made by many security companies in the US and are shown on security-related trade shows* (of course to be sold to agencies like the NSA, FBI, SIS, etc). They range from as low as $25,000. However, there is no law (especially in the states where it is shown) that prevents local citizens from purchasing it. In fact, even foreigners or potential terrorists from other nations can purchase them as long as they show they have the money. Most of the transactions occur on-line, via the respective company web-sites, anyway.

*These trade shows are nothing special. You don't need to be affiliated with any organisation to attend. You simply buy a pass from the web-site and attend. I'm sure they even sell home security or business-related security devices (i.e. cameras, monitors, etc).

And??? If you have a HVT, you might want to listen to his communications.... really people take the tin foil hats off.

I hear you might want a real world hypothetical, so let me give it to you.

An Iranian scientist is in this Country, don't you think it might be a good idea to listen in?

What I find sad is this tech is basic, yet unknown to majority of population. And why can't I find PDFs to build these for myself?

sysloc

Can we stop with these tin foil hat NSA theories?

This isn't a theory, it's quite easy to do and legitimate documents of it have been leaked.

We didn't believe the tin-foil hatters about being spied on either, told them they were all crazy, but hey look what turned out to be true.