Just like Apple, Google will ban hammer crytomining apps on Google Play

Source: https://www.zdnet.com/article/android-apps-google-bans-cryptocurrency-miners-from-play-store/ 

https://play.google.com/about/developer-content-policy-print/ 

After Apple's recent ban on cryptocurrency-mining apps in the iOS App Store and Mac App Store, Google has now banned them from the Android Play Store too. 

Google's policy is similar to Apple's which still allows mining if the processing happens in the cloud, but on-device mining on Android hardware is now banned. 

"We don't allow apps that mine cryptocurrency on devices. We permit apps that remotely manage the mining of cryptocurrency," Google said in its updated Google Play policy centre document.

Ransomware is old, cryptojacking is new. I for one welcome this security approach on Google. I don’t understand why so many people got upset in previous thread/s when Apple decided to ban hammer all cryptomining apps on the App Store. Will they get pissed at Google for doing the same thing? I doubt warranty coverage includes bricking of a passively cooled phone phone due to mining. 

Remember that month ago, security researchers from Kaspersky Lab found an Android malware that is capable of bricking an Android phone because of cryptojacking. Besides, just how good mining on a phone could get? 

Let’s not forget the fact that malware occasionally slips past Google’s malware filters when apps got submitted and that includes mining malware on the Google Play Store. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/javascript-cryptomining-scripts-discovered-in-19-google-play-apps/  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/droppers-is-how-android-malware-keeps-sneaking-into-the-play-store/  

https://www.av-test.org/en/news/in-case-googles-defenses-fail-21-android-protection-apps-put-to-the-test/

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

malware occasionally slips past Google’s malware filter

Sure. "Occasionally."

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Something something people like to complain about everything about someone or some company that they don't like.

I'm glad that Apple did it and I'm glad that Google's doing it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Definitely needs to be done. Good on google.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

19 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Ransomware is old, cryptojacking is new. I for one welcome this security approach on Google. I don’t understand why so many people got upset in previous thread/s when Apple decided to ban hammer all cryptomining apps on the App Store. Will they get pissed at Google for doing the same thing? I doubt warranty coverage includes bricking of a passively cooled phone phone due to mining.

It's pretty simple: because it's Apple.  While it's certainly good to discuss the merits of cryptomining on phones, there's no doubt that some people were more interested in indulging their anti-Apple fetishes than debating the issue at hand.  (See also: some of the more extreme responses in the multiple MacBook Pro threads.)  There are plenty of reasonable people, but I don't think the more vocal opponents would've been as critical if Google had done it first.

Just sideload, problem solved.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Good on both of 'em

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

11 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It's pretty simple: because it's Apple.  While it's certainly good to discuss the merits of cryptomining on phones, there's no doubt that some people were more interested in indulging their anti-Apple fetishes than debating the issue at hand.  (See also: some of the more extreme responses in the multiple MacBook Pro threads.)  There are plenty of reasonable people, but I don't think the more vocal opponents would've been as critical if Google had done it first.

Couldn't have explained it better.

I've always maintained that, especially with Apple, they have their goods and bads and I'm never against someone voicing an opinion that isn't mine. But the recent shit with the MacBook Pro has really brought out the ardent anti-Apple people's colors. They deserve criticism for it, I can't say that they don't at all. But it's just vitriol and non-comprehensible hate coming through, instead of rational, if not brutally honest criticism.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Couldn't have explained it better.

I've always maintained that, especially with Apple, they have their goods and bads and I'm never against someone voicing an opinion that isn't mine. But the recent shit with the MacBook Pro has really brought out the ardent anti-Apple people's colors. They deserve criticism for it, I can't say that they don't at all. But it's just vitriol and non-comprehensible hate coming through, instead of rational, if not brutally honest criticism.

Welcome to the internet.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I don’t understand why so many people got upset in previous thread/s when Apple decided to ban hammer all cryptomining apps on the App Store. Will they get pissed at Google for doing the same thing? I doubt warranty coverage includes bricking of a passively cooled phone phone due to mining. 

Unlike with Apple devices, it is easy to install unsigned apps onto Android, so there's no need for anyone to get upset, Google blessing or not.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 hours ago, Commodus said:

some of the more extreme responses in the multiple MacBook Pro threads

The threads about the 2018 MBP in this forum has exceeded the threads of a core i9 imo

Why would anyone want to mine crypto on their phone in the first place? 

5 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

The Play Store also now has a ban on repetitive content, which Google describes as "multiple apps with highly similar content and user experience,"

Did you look at your communication apps offering Google?

Let’s see. Google has Hangouts, Allo and Messages. Will Google ban themselves though? xD

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Let’s see. Google has Hangouts, Allo and Messages. Will Google ban themselves though? xD

Too bad they have control over play store.

Magical Pineapples

9 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I don’t understand why so many people got upset in previous thread/s when Apple decided to ban hammer all cryptomining apps on the App Store. Will they get pissed at Google for doing the same thing?

people got pissed apple for this? are they stupid? blocking cryptomining apps, whether it's their intended purpose or a hidden script, is only ever a good thing

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Unlike with Apple devices, it is easy to install unsigned apps onto Android, so there's no need for anyone to get upset, Google blessing or not.

something something generic Apple fanboy response leading to no discussion

6 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

something something generic Apple fanboy response leading to no discussion

Apple fanboy huh?  I rather think a certain individual will have a brief chuckle. 

@DrMacintosh

My eyes see the past…

27 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Apple fanboy huh?  I rather think a certain individual will have a brief chuckle. 

@DrMacintosh

Oh please I heard @DrMacintosh only has two Apple Magic mice. 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

people got pissed apple for this? are they stupid? blocking cryptomining apps, whether it's their intended purpose or a hidden script, is only ever a good thing

I think they are. No need to name names but they’re probably the same people who will get pissed when their phones got bricked because of insisting on mining crypto and warranty doesn’t cover malware damage. 

8 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If that’s the case, that person shouldn’t get mad at Google or any other OEM when the said Android phone got bricked and warranty coverage doesn’t include stressing the CPU to the point of bricking it. 

15 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Oh please I heard @DrMacintosh only has two Apple Magic mice. 

Tbh, I'm unsure whether the "Apple Fanboy" comment was directed at , or just at some random person. I assumed it was toward me.

My opinion: Apple's approach and Google's approach are both perfectly valid. Due to my primary means of mobile gaming being via emulation, Android fits my own use case better at this time. Given that Android allows for unsigned apps to run, I didn't consider this (removal of mining applications) to be particularly newsworthy.

My eyes see the past…

5 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Tbh, I'm unsure whether the "Apple Fanboy" comment was directed at , or just at some random person. I assumed it was toward me.

My opinion: Apple's approach and Google's approach are both perfectly valid. Due to my primary means of mobile gaming being via emulation, Android fits my own use case better at this time. Given that Android allows for unsigned apps to run, I didn't consider this (removal of mining applications) to be particularly newsworthy.

I'm the Apple fanboy. TBH I've always found Apple's implementation of emulators much better, but that depends.