Fortnite for Android might be a Timed Exclusive for Samsung Galaxy Note 9 upon release

AlTech

"XDA Developers" claims Fornite for Android, which has not currently been released yet, might be a timed exclusive for the Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

Samsung might be taking its marketing of the Galaxy Note 9 in a different direction than previous Notes: the company is said to be planning a huge, exclusive Fortnite push through a partnership with Epic Games. Both 9to5Google and XDA Developers are reporting that Fortnite’s Android port will launch alongside the Note 9 — perhaps even as a pre-bundled application. Samsung might have a 30-day exclusive on the hugely popular battle royale game, according to 9to5Google.

According to XDA Developers, Samsung is planning to do this as a key piece of their marketing for the Galaxy Note 9. The timed exclusivity would allegedly be for just 1 Month.

From a Business perspective, unless Samsung is willing to pay Epic Games a ridiculous amount of money for this exclusivity, it doesn't make financial sense to go through with it.

XDA Developers claims that Fortnite will play a key role in Samsung’s marketing of the Galaxy Note 9, which will be touted for its gaming prowess thanks to the Snapdragon 845 inside and a “vapor chamber heat pipe” that’s designed to cool the device during extended gameplay sessions. Samsung began teasing the Note 9 today with advertisements promising long battery life, fast performance, and generous storage. But highlighting games would be new territory for the Note, which has traditionally been marketed as the best smartphone around for productivity.

Launching Fortnite exclusively on Samsung’s newest smartphone will certainly limit Epic’s revenue on the platform — even if only for a month. The game is printing money for the publisher on every platform where it can be found and is expected to rake in over $2 billion of in-game purchases this year. But Samsung’s marketing dollars can only help the game in the long run, and you can bet fans with Android phones will be trying to sideload it as soon as it’s available on the Note 9. If the timed exclusive window is accurate, everyone else on Android can expect to play Fortnite sometime in September.

Personally, I think that this timed exclusivity of any app or game is stupid as is stops legitimate potential customers from using the product and from potentially spending money on the product.

Source:https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/26/17619428/fortnite-android-samsung-galaxy-note-9-exclusive-launch

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Probably just for the advertising? Samsung + gamers market = price of advertising "Fortnight" + Samsungs name on every 12 year old in history.

If the Facebook IPO taught me anything. It's that profit is less a driver [FB made little] than consumer control [but sold for billions because advertising + influencing ability].

4 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Probably just for the advertising? Samsung + gamers market = price of advertising "Fortnight" + Samsungs name on every 12 year old in history.

This does seem out of character even for Samsung.

So I'm guessing that Samsung has very little faith that the Note 9 will sell well.

We already are fairly sure that unless the Note 9 sells well, the Note 10 won't exist since it seems the Sx Plus lineup of the Galaxy S series has been cannibalizing Note sales.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

So Samsung expects people to spend 1.3k euros on a phone just to play Fortnite?

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Do they really think people will buy the thing just to play fortnite mobile a month early?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

They have to do something to revive the brand. Samsung is apparently not having a great time with their mobile devision. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

13 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Do they really think people will buy the thing just to play fortnite mobile a month early?

Do you know how much money Nintendo made releasing it on Switch?

[Edit] PS, nothing wrong with Samsung and the Note lineup IMO. But then again, I have a Note 3 and am happy! xD

That's the problem. We don't need "new" phones. We don't need 17 cores, 70 Gigabizillion Pixel cameras with 9 lenses. We don't need 16k quantum planck scale inference pixel screens. We don't need it paper thin.

We need it to load webpages, run satnav, take calls, and fit in a pocket. Phones hit that 5 or so years ago, and missing a quantum leap (no, not "quantum" appended to the marketing ;) ) people don't need a new one.

1 minute ago, TechyBen said:

Do you know how much money Nintendo made releasing it on Switch?

Yeah but people didn't buy the switch to play fortnite. They buy the switch to play other stuff and then fortnite pops up and they might also play it. Maybe for a couple of people fortnite was enough of a reason on top of other things to just buy one but fortnite alone wasn't the reason for anyone to buy it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

16 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

No, they expect it to be a tipping point for those on the fence.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I just question how many people that would really tip. Sure, maybe some people will do it. But will that many people really be convinced by a month earlier access of fortnite to buy a phone?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Yeah but people didn't buy the switch to play fortnite. They buy the switch to play other stuff and then fortnite pops up and they might also play it. Maybe for a couple of people fortnite was enough of a reason on top of other things to just buy one but fortnite alone wasn't the reason for anyone to buy it.

You've seen Nintendos sales then? Huh? Huh? ;)

PS, few people pay "$1300", they see the monthly price and forget the total. :(

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

This makes no sense TBH.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I just question how many people that would really tip. Sure, maybe some people will do it. But will that many people really be convinced by a month earlier access of fortnite to buy a phone?

Perhaps not Fortnite itself, but just the fact that a game is a time exclusive on a phone that general consumer assumes is strictly business.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

52 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

So I'm guessing that Samsung has very little faith that the Note 9 will sell well.

We already are fairly sure that unless the Note 9 sells well, the Note 10 won't exist since it seems the Sx Plus lineup of the Galaxy S series has been cannibalizing Note sales.

I was going to say, there are rumors that the Note 9 is the last or one of the last Note products. Seems weird to spend a lot on marketing a line of products that are rumoured to be discontinued.

Also how would Google allow this in the Google Play Store? Or would it be through one of Samsung's own equivalent app store?

Side, side note. As an iOS user, I assumed Android already had Fortnite. How has it taken Epic this long? I understand there is a lot of varying hardware to program for but I'm shocked it's taken them this long..

I think to do this they would have to pre-bundle the app, how else would they limit it to one device. Unless Epic is scumbaggy enough to mark it as "Incompatible" with every android other than Note 9.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Now that I think about it, why haven't Razer or Asus ROG or one of the smartphones targeted towards gamers try and snag a deal like this, even if it is just marketing? Seems like a huge missed opportunity and would probably run great of the respective hardware.

Surely you can just get the APK? I'm sure I've done it at one point where you can just get the game files and bundle it. 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Hmmm should I buy Note 9 because of the display or Pixel 3XL because of the amazing camera.

Note 9 will get exclusive access to Fortnite

OOOOOSHIT IM GETTING NOTE 9!

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

2 hours ago, PopsicleHustler said:

See post a couple higher about $2B in fortnite sales :P

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

See post a couple higher about $2B in fortnite sales :P

No need to brag about your personal budget for shitty games.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Being exclusive, even for a month, to the Note is weird. It would make more sense to have that exclusivity be for Samsung phones in general. Fortnite Mobile is pulling in $2m per day at this point on iOS. Even a single month exclusivity will drive sales to that product. Its not like they're going to announce that it will only be for a month. At most they'll say "play it here first" and leave out how long before it is released for other devices. That will get attention. Samsung is very good at advertising. Pair this with something like a free skin, or a special Fortnite edition of the phone and they might push some sales. They can hand out some to big Fortnite streamers as well. Done right I could see it selling some units, but I wonder if it would be enough to get Note sales to the point Samsung wants.

Can I just say I don't agree with this direction at all? The entire point of a common OS is that you can run any app from any device, provided it is new enough to support the Android version needed to run it. Not to mention a phone isn't exactly something you buy for its gaming potential (unless you're buying a Razer or ROG phone). 

Even worse, could you imagine if developers just took it a single step further? Imagine if GTA VI came out for PC, and it was an Alienware exclusive. But after that comes FIFA '20, and it's an HP exclusive. What now? Guess we all better buy multiple gaming PCs and multiple phones, just like we do consoles!

3 hours ago, TechyBen said:

You've seen Nintendos sales then? Huh? Huh? ;)

PS, few people pay "$1300", they see the monthly price and forget the total. :(

Sure there's a lot of switch sales but that in no way means that fortnite is the cause of them...

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

This makes no sense TBH.

Luke seems to agree xD

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

So time exclusivity has reached Android as well. Guess I shouldn't be surprised that'll happen.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)