Decluttr, a phone trading company in the US found out that 70% of singles would prefer to date someone with an iPhone

Dating and phones (poll is private)  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider dating someone who is using a different phone than you?

• Yes
    • No
    • I've given up on dating

6 minutes ago, kirashi said:

But I digress - the point is that verified encryption can't be 99.99% secure - it has to be 100% or you may as well just not use it.

I'll have to disagree with that bit. But I don't care enough to talk about it xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

just my two cents

How about that maybe, the person with an old Android phone would rather save that $1000 every year and put it in investment like government/treasury bonds (conservative earnings, lower risks) or stock market (volatile and risky but often aggressive earnings) and that guy knows that dating is more than just the shiniest new phone? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

at first I thought "wow thats ridiculous, who would care"

but actually I would care if she pulled out some POS like this, might be a dealbreaker

img.php?id=40913

"We should text later!"

"huh?"

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

How about that maybe, the person with an old Android phone would rather save that $1000 every year and put it in investment like government/treasury bonds (conservative earnings, lower risks) or stock market (volatile and risky but often aggressive earnings) and that guy knows that dating is more than just the shiniest new phone? 

Yes, that would be smart.  Why do I feel like you're disagreeing tho xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, that would be smart.  Why do I feel like you're disagreeing tho xD

Nvm. I was thinking about my own personal investments while I was typing it and I was carried away by my thoughts and feelings ?

6 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Nvm. I was thinking about my own personal investments while I was typing it and I was carried away by my thoughts and feelings ?

On that topic though, tbh, I dare say I find having an older or low spec phone more appealing than the latest shiny thing.  Again, this is all entirely subjective and so I know some will see it differently, but to me, that shows you don't waste money on frivolous upgrades, or maybe just don't really care that much about smart phones at all, which aligns well with my values.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, aki adaki said:

I dislike iPhone users, whether men or women. But there's so many. I've drawn some opinionated connections between IQ levels and iPhone owners. I'm not saying owning a iPhone makes you stupid, but users who own iphones from what I noticed are less aware of their surroundings by being obsessed by it. I'm particular in who I'd like to date. 

Do you understand how stupid you yourself come across here?

Meanwhile, I couldn't give a damn about what phones people use.

I do judge you based on what car you drive though :P

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

23 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

that shows you don't waste money on frivolous upgrades

I consider upgrading an i7-6700K to i7-7700K just for the measly IPC improvements an example of a frivolous upgrade xD

2 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Whats wrong with Signal?

Its not built in

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

I made $1000 in 30 min day trading recently. Do you love me now? 

Id keep my phones longer if the batteries were removable and when they dangerously bulge and threaten to explode(my old removable Japanese Samsung batteries NEVER did) i could replace them.

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Its not built in

So? Its not too hard to install an app nowadays is it?

Speaking of Financial Security, in my experience the people using iPhones are the people who need 2-year contracts to be able to afford it and so I'd argue they have worse financial security.

iPhone users also in my experience pay less attention to the world around them. But then again, the same could be said for those who don't wear glasses in my experience. :P

And when I think of iPhone users, I think of them as the people who just watch as something happens and take a video on snapchat or whatever instead of actually doing something. 

To me, someone with an Android Phone shows better impulse control, better purchasing decisions based on logic and not social status, and a better understanding that everybody is different.

But hey, that might just be me over analyzing some things. :D

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, TechGod said:

Do you understand how stupid you yourself come across here?

If it is their observation that the iPhone users they have met are generally less intelligent than the Android users then that is an observation, not stupidity. Unless @aki adaki lives in an area where there are more iPhones than Androids then the observation that they see more iPhone users using/being distracted by their phone would indicate that iPhone users are proportionally more distracted by their phones than Android users.

The entire article is biased towards benefiting the company - if consumers were to follow the advice of the surveyors they would trade in their phone and for a company which buys old phones is exactly what is desired. They are not even attempting to hide it:

image.png.85ad4a25e5e3916e9a56b27a039fe3dd.png

With 1519 participants it is strange that the best quotes they could get supporting Apple were:

image.png.6f6a15a9b736098ed3bdf61170bc3cda.png

This either would suggest that the company themselves are partial to Apple due to the higher resale value compared to Android handsets or those who wrote the quotes were not the most informed users or simply had an irrational dislike for Android.

Not stating what is considered "old" and what proportion of the participants thought an "old" phone was not desirable is another flaw. "Old" could describe anything from last-gen to Bell's first telephone, which is it? Even when we include only the last few generations most people would have trouble distinguishing an iPhone 6 from an iPhone 6s, the only differences are 3D touch, the camera (visible difference) and the on the back. With the 5S vs the SE the difference is smaller and the generational gap is even larger. The proportion is not mentioned, it could well be 1/1519 to 2/1519 or similarly insignificant.

Overall this "survey" reeks of being setup for the companies benefit, as a company which needs people to sell them their old phones releasing information detailing that the phone doesn't matter would have been irresponsible.

I love the comments you highlighted. Its almost like they have no clue about things like actual build quality or how something is manufactured... but they prefer this thing over that... They dont know WHY they believe Apple is premium, but they "feel it".

7 hours ago, aki adaki said:

I dislike iPhone users, whether men or women. But there's so many. I've drawn some opinionated connections between IQ levels and iPhone owners. I'm not saying owning a iPhone makes you stupid, but users who own iphones from what I noticed are less aware of their surroundings by being obsessed by it. I'm particular in who I'd like to date. 

I don't think iPhone users are stupid. I just think stupid/oblivious people tend to be iPhone users. 

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well if you want to start drawing conclusions, data shows that iPhone owners are usually more wealthy than those who own Android phones. 

I personally notice no trends in behavior of iPhone owners or Android owners. 

Why can't everyone just not give a shit and grow up? 

As someone who grew up in the rich suburbs I can say wealth has little to do with intelligence. Most of the people who used iPhones were the basic girls who weren't the sharpest tool in the shed. Not saying there weren't plenty of smart iPhone users but more that the dumb people mostly had iPhones. 

18 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

As someone who grew up in the rich suburbs I can say wealth has little to do with intelligence. Most of the people who used iPhones were the basic girls who weren't the sharpest tool in the shed. Not saying there weren't plenty of smart iPhone users but more that the dumb people mostly had iPhones. 

Yep money doesnt buy class, taste or actual knowledge about the finer things. I know plenty of wealthy or at least high income and completely technologically illiterate people who buy junk, from their cars to electronics and even the clothes they wear and stores they shop at.

They may have the money to buy something good, but often they seem to say "well i can have MORE things if i buy cheaper!" and end up buying shitty stuff despite having the money to buy better stuff. They wear clothes, shoes etc of vastly inferior quality to whats available because they simply dont know better.

Sadly, there arent many people who do know a lot about engineering, design, manufacturing, quality worksmanship etc. That attitude is antithetical to the way i was brought up and the way i purchase things. I tend to buy fewer but much higher quality goods, and keep them for a very long time. 

And sadly smartphones arent designed to last. Even the high end ones have started to go downhill in quality in recent years, and it was terrible when Samsung started to remove things like replaceable batteries, SD cards(they added them back) following Apples lead. Thats the kind of effect on the market that clueless purchasing leads to: worse products overall.

13 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Yep money doesnt buy class, taste or actual knowledge about the finer things. I know plenty of wealthy or at least high income and completely technologically illiterate people who buy junk, from their cars to electronics and even the clothes they wear and stores they shop at.

They may have the money to buy something good, but often they seem to say "well i can have MORE things if i buy cheaper!" and end up buying shitty stuff despite having the money to buy better stuff. They wear clothes, shoes etc of vastly inferior quality to whats available because they simply dont know better.

Sadly, there arent many people who do know a lot about engineering, design, manufacturing, quality worksmanship etc. That attitude is antithetical to the way i was brought up and the way i purchase things. I tend to buy fewer but much higher quality goods, and keep them for a very long time. 

And sadly smartphones arent designed to last. Even the high end ones have started to go downhill in quality in recent years, and it was terrible when Samsung started to remove things like replaceable batteries, SD cards(they added them back) following Apples lead. Thats the kind of effect on the market that clueless purchasing leads to: worse products overall.

I grew up in a very wealthy family and my parents were very adamant on not giving me frivolous expensive things like a brand new car or the latest and greatest tech that was "in". I am very glad they did that because you begin to realize what is actually important and the value of money. Many of the people i knew didnt understand this concept and thought they deserved everything kinda spoiled. I buy thing that suit my needs and spend extra on the things I enjoy. 

Apocalypse can't come soon enough. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Be a man and assert your android dominance.

I wouldn't put much stock in this survey, although I will say this: if you go around carrying a phone with a cracked screen... that  suggests you're not just a bit cheap, but careless -- not so much because you dropped your phone as that you're risking cutting yourself on glass.  For goodness' sake, pay a little bit of money and take care of yourself!

(As evidence it doesn't matter to me: I use an iPhone 7, my girlfriend uses a Galaxy S7.)