AMD Zen CPUs get Android Emulator support from Hyper-V

The Benjamins

amd_android_emulator.png

Today, you can download the latest Android Emulator release, which is enabled to run x86 based Android Virtual Devices (AVD) on computers that use AMD processors. This exciting update makes the Android Emulator more accessible to a new set of Android app developers that were previously limited to software emulation, but can now have hardware accelerated performance. Moreover, for those of you who use Hyper-V to run your local app backend, the Android Emulator can now also coexist with other Hyper-V-backed applications on Windows® 10.

It is nice to see Android Emulator get Hyper-V support to get better AMD support. Hyper-V support should help a lot in the Server space that uses Windows Server.

40 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You're reading it wrong. Hyper-V support for AMD was already a thing, it's just that you can now run the Android Emulator on AMD CPUs and also on AMD based Hyper-V environments.

Im stupid now fixed

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2018/07/android-emulator-amd-processor-hyper-v.html?m=1

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

You're reading it wrong. Hyper-V support for AMD was already a thing, it's just that you can now run the Android Emulator on AMD CPUs and also on AMD based Hyper-V environments.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I... can I... does this mean I could use android without ever buying an android phone? O_O

Yes,

Android X86 has been a thing as well if you want to completely replace your Operating System with Android or run it from a VM. There also BlueStacks which used to be good but is now filled with Adware and a had ton of features removed.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

SWEET HONEYBALLS i have to look into this. not sure what the EULA says about casual use of the emulator but AAA virtual Android phone in my PC

HowToGeek has a guide on how to install:

https://www.howtogeek.com/164570/how-to-install-android-in-virtualbox/

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

That's neat.

Maybe one day we'll see super efficient x86 APU in smartphones, that'd be amazing. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

That's neat.

Maybe one day we'll see super efficient x86 APU in smartphones, that'd be amazing. 

I doubt that.

The Acorn Risc Machine was developed to be efficient from the Beginning - x86 was not.

And there are no real good lowest power Designs, the last ones (AMD Beema, Mullins & co) weren't that successful although rather low power but not low power enough for a real mobile device like a smartphone.

We are talking about a couple of Milliwatts here...

Both, x86 and ARM, have their strong points. And their place in the world.

And right now it seems that the Acorn designs are better for lower power devices but x86/AMD64 is better for higher power machines, where you want efficiency but also as much calculating performance as possible.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Now they just need to ship Ryzen workstationy laptops and I’ll be sold :) 

Does this help? Or is it power you need?

42 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I doubt that.

The Acorn Risc Machine was developed to be efficient from the Beginning - x86 was not.

And there are no real good lowest power Designs, the last ones (AMD Beema, Mullins & co) weren't that successful although rather low power but not low power enough for a real mobile device like a smartphone.

And right now it seems that the Acorn designs are better for lower power devices but x86/AMD64 is better for higher power machines, where you want efficiency but also as much calculating performance as possible.

Yeah. Though, with Zen and lower node it would be exciting to see a low power part.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

19 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah. Though, with Zen and lower node it would be exciting to see a low power part.

Yes, that would be great.

And maybe we will see something like that. A 2-4 Core Part with SMT and like 256 Shaders and HBM Interface (like 4-8GiB) would be nice and clockrates also on the lower side.

And it is IMO possible that we might see something like that with the Playstation Mobile Device that might come again...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Ehm... What? What do you think uses a couple of miliwatts? If you think ARM SoCs uses that little power you're very off the mark. The Snapdragon 845 runs at like 4-4.5 watts on the upper end (for example during mobile gaming). 

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

I... can I... does this mean I could use android without ever buying an android phone? O_O

6 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Yes,

Android X86 has been a thing as well if you want to completely replace your Operating System with Android or run it from a VM. There also BlueStacks which used to be good but is now filled with Adware and a had ton of features removed.

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

SWEET HONEYBALLS i have to look into this. not sure what the EULA says about casual use of the emulator but AAA virtual Android phone in my PC

GUYS this is android Emulator for developers using Android SDK, which previously only worked on Intel CPU's, as far as i know when i tried developing for android on my fx8300 my app wouldnt run with hardware emulation only software, it was really slow and seemed broken to me.

At the same time they are getting support for running in Hyper-V so you can run multiple emulations on same machine ithink.

In other news you can also run Android on a VM

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I doubt that.

I remember the ASUS Zenfone 2 (various flavors?) used an Intel Atom CPU, instead of an Qualcomm / ARM chip.

I remembering thinking it would be something neat to mess around with, something different, to experiment with.

You don't often see smartphones running on Intel hardware -- or anything other then ARM for that matter.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

12 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Does this help? Or is it power you need?

Not enough power. They really need to put the 2700X in a laptop for me to not go with Intel. I’m an AMD fanboy but in the mobile space there is no contest between an AMD solution versus an Intel/Nvidia solution.

im actually looking to upgrade my work laptop in the next few months and if AMD don’t come out with some serious power I’ll be unfortunately going with another Intel/Nvidia combo. Most likely another Dell XPS with the 8950HK/1050ti

2 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Not enough power. They really need to put the 2700X in a laptop for me to not go with Intel. I’m an AMD fanboy but in the mobile space there is no contest between an AMD solution versus an Intel/Nvidia solution.

im actually looking to upgrade my work laptop in the next few months and if AMD don’t come out with some serious power I’ll be unfortunately going with another Intel/Nvidia combo. Most likely another Dell XPS with the 8950HK/1050ti

This is the most power I can give you but it's a gaming laptop and not workstation-ish like a Latitude or ThinkPad. Still, it's more powerful than the setup you're considering.

The next batch of laptop processors from AMD will be 45W quad cores (or basically the existing chips I showed you but with a bigger TDP) and the Pro version will probably come even later anyway. So if you need all those cores your only option is the gaming machines because they're more likely to take risks and make the money back through price gouging.

The selection of AMD laptops is still quite small. I hope Zen2 on 7nm will help broaden the selection. I suspect many OEMs are still convinced AMD will fumble like always and therefore it's not worth investing too much in the ecosystem when they have perfectly good and reliable Intel whom they have partnered with for decades. A good 7nm launch would mean they'd have executed successfully for three years in a row. That might help.

16 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Gonna give this a try as well, maybe PUBG Mobile will run better than PC :D

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

10 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

In other news you can also run Android on a VM

Isn't this essentially what this is, though?

PC emulators are technically virtual machines, just designated for one specific operating system.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

This is the most power I can give you but it's a gaming laptop and not workstation-ish like a Latitude or ThinkPad. Still, it's more powerful than the setup you're considering.

The next batch of laptop processors from AMD will be 45W quad cores (or basically the existing chips I showed you but with a bigger TDP) and the Pro version will probably come even later anyway. So if you need all those cores your only option is the gaming machines because they're more likely to take risks and make the money back through price gouging.

The selection of AMD laptops is still quite small. I hope Zen2 on 7nm will help broaden the selection. I suspect many OEMs are still convinced AMD will fumble like always and therefore it's not worth investing too much in the ecosystem when they have perfectly good and reliable Intel whom they have partnered with for decades. A good 7nm launch would mean they'd have executed successfully for three years in a row. That might help.

A bit to much gamer and chunky to use around the office unfortunately, and the single-core speeds aren't quite up to scratch on the 2700. It's another Intel/Nvidia laptop for me this year I think, maybe next year when we have 7nm Zen/Vega I can get an all AMD laptop :)

23 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

22 hours ago, AskTJ said:

Android on Windows? I'm doing this tomorrow. Tired of using Bluestacks for all these years.

6 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Gonna give this a try as well, maybe PUBG Mobile will run better than PC :D

As someone who did Android Development, AVD is kinda meh at best.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Holy cow yes!!! I'm actually currently updating an existing Android app howbeit with an Intel CPU but nice to know my main rig at home which is a Ryzen 2700x can now run it. Too bad the FX cpu's never got the support back when I needed it. This was my biggest concern when updating to another AMD cpu again.

4 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

As someone who did Android Development, AVD is kinda meh at best.

Better or worse than Bluestacks, though?

28 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Better or worse than Bluestacks, though?

It's VERY hard to be worse than Bluestacks nowadays