Overwatch raises 12.7 million USD for breast cancer research

ItsMitch

S: Blizzard

Blizzard Entertainment's Overwatch has announced it's total funding raised for Breast Cancer Research Foundation in a tweet from the company and the BCRF. The event lasted 2 weeks and it was to raise funds go to towards researching the deadly disease in hopes of finding the cure for it. The event itself kicked off back in May but Blizzard finally announced the exact total today at 12.7 million dollars. A huge congratulations to Blizzard for running this and contributing towards Breast Cancer Research. 

Thanks to the overwhelming generosity of the Overwatch community during the Pink Mercy charity campaign, we’ve raised more than $12.7 million (USD) to support the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

This is the largest donation by a corporate partner within one year in BCRF’s 25-year history, and it’s all because of you.

In addition to picking up the charity skin, players showed their support for the cause by purchasing thousands of limited-edition Pink Mercy T-shirts, available for men and women, designed by community artist VICKISIGH.

Charity stream viewers, rejoice! In addition to the $12.7 million raised through sales of the skin and T-shirt, you separately raised over $130,000 USD in donations watching 14 different Overwatch stars stream on Twitch.

This story hits home hard because my uncle passed away due to cancer, I'm just really glad that this kind of stuff will go towards actually trying to beat this damn disease. 

This is really great news. It's challenging work and it's really lovely to see any community come together to support cancer research. I would say cancer is one of the most major concerns of our time, among heart disease and climate change. Lovely to see - great work. 

Take notes EA. This is how you use microtransactions in a way which benefits people but also doesn't result in the most downvoted post in reddit history!

31 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

And people say cosmetics don't matter...

The gaming community as a whole gets a lot of crap, but stuff like this makes you realize that there are a lot of wonderful people who game.

Hope they do another one sometime.

Blizzard also does this on a regular basis with WoW pets/mounts to raise funds for charity.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

Blizzard is going to get some nice tax breaks this year.

i don't care what the intent was as long as the action helps get rid of cancer

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

Take notes EA. This is how you use microtransactions in a way which benefits people but also doesn't result in the most downvoted post in reddit history!

Hard to believe Activision owns Blizzard, good thing they don't seem to have much say in the operation of Blizz. Could you imagine? :o

6 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Hard to believe Activision owns Blizzard, good thing they don't seem to have much say in the operation of Blizz. Could you imagine? :o

While they certainly own Blizzard, their autonomy remained after Activision merged with Vivendi Games. So Blizzard is pretty free to do what they want (though those lines are blurring a bit with Activision games showing up on the Blizzard launcher).

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

16 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Incorrect. Activision Blizzard owns Activision and Blizzard Entertainment, along with 3 other business entities. The board of directors (among other high-level bean counters corporate employees) along with a majority of public stock shares control the company, although in the past it was owned by Vivendi Universal Games. Regardless, I don't see Blizzard's employees ever giving up control of the assets, storylines, and game content they've developed over the last 20+ years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

A world without healthy boobs is a world not worth living in.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

If its saves good pairs of tits from being cut, worth it.

But its a bunch of feminist bullshit everyone falls for, you never hear about  a fund or research campaign for prostate cancer its always about poor poor women they have it the roughest in this world /s

The interesting part is that Blizzard generated $12,7 income by selling a skin. Now I understand why so many companies sell skins. Huge business.

15 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

The interesting part is that Blizzard generated $12,7 income by selling a skin. Now I understand why so many companies sell skins. Huge business.

Bioware said someone spent 10 grand on Mass Effect 3 microtransactions... of all things, microtransactions

24 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

An ordinary skin sale wouldn't generate that kind of money. Not everyone buys cosmetic items for the looks, I for example bought it for the cause. And most likely wouldn't bother buying it if the skin was pure profit for Blizzard, though mostly because it was $15>.>

10 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Blizzard is going to get some nice tax breaks this year.

can you get tax breaks for that? wans't the overwatch community that donated the money and not Blizzard themselves.

28 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Where did the money come from though?

Skin purchases and the merch blizzard made for this event

46 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Skin purchases and the merch blizzard made for this event

If I recall correctly, there were several people on twtich streaming Overwatch at specific time slots, and donations made during that also went to the charity.

But... weren't all gamers misogynists?

image.png.464f340331c46b414fc66e5d895cda2f.png

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>