Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

If I go to a hotal, only for business, just take my small Laptop with me.

Worst are hotels where they charge for the wifi and then it sucks low throughtput, weak signal, data caps....

To have a system that is "fresh" is allways nice to have, because most hotel "internetpoints" suck even harder with viruses, unupdated systems, blocking my work VPN ...

But they realy think about their wireing and their AP's.

A 10TB hard drive in every tower (or at least the high-end ones) in the Hotel? Not complaining but sounds excessive. 4TB would of done just fine IMO. Wish there was a hotel like this is in every city of the world. Fast internet, comfortable chairs. Good opportunity to meet nerdy women probably!

It looks just soooooooooo awesome.

I will need to ask my friend if he would like to travel with me to this hotel since he's streaming his CoD Zombie records live on twitch :D

first thing i noticed: they're running windows 7.

11 minutes ago, danwat1234 said:

A 10TB hard drive in every tower (or at least the high-end ones) in the Hotel? Not complaining but sounds excessive. 4TB would of done just fine IMO. Wish there was a hotel like this is in every city of the world. Fast internet, comfortable chairs. Good opportunity to meet nerdy women probably!

its a matter of marketing decisions, wether they stick in 4 or 10TB doesnt really matter as long as the investment pays off, and my guess is that they just went for 10TB so its less likely a competitor shows up with systems with more storage.

You should go back there in 5 years and check it out, assuming they haven't gone under by then. Obviously everything now is new, but IT upkeep doesn't come cheap. So even with a $100/room markup compared to the "normal" hotel room, this place will be operating on an extremely thin margin.

I am assuming as well that a lot of things aren't included in the room price and cost extra. Clearly they will be making up that margin with the extras that tack onto the room price.

As for doing your own laundry, they skip the need to pay for housekeeping staff to do that job. Again a $3 wash load doesn't actually cost $3 in electricity and water. Then they charge you for the detergent, money to put in the dryer, and if you still need special help, will charge you for dry cleaning. Good luck if you wear a suit and tie.

At the rate peripherals fail and how some gamers abuse their hardware I also think they will be changing out hardware a lot more often than once per year. Obviously they have done the numbers and realized that they can still resell year-old equipment and get some return. But replacing keyboards and mice all the time is something they will need to be doing as well.

IT staff cost way more than housekeeping staff, and replacing a PC every year costs far more than getting a new bed installed every 5-7 years - it really would have been nice to see the operating side of the business and how they manage to turn a profit, and keep that sustainable.

Why in the world are they running win 7????

29 minutes ago, manikyath said:

first thing i noticed: they're running windows 7.

1 minute ago, Logan_Rocks said:

Why in the world are they running win 7????

my guess is more manageability than win10. while win10 certainly has its advantages, being in IT consultancy i can certainly also say there's things you can control better in 7 than you can in 10.

besides, if they're gonna upgrade every year anyways, they still have until the end of 2019 to move to windows 10, because for as long as its a supported operating system, its an acceptable operating system.

What's with the phone recording Linus over the shower behind him at 10:25??????

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

my guess is more manageability than win10. while win10 certainly has its advantages, being in IT consultancy i can certainly also say there's things you can control better in 7 than you can in 10.

besides, if they're gonna upgrade every year anyways, they still have until the end of 2019 to move to windows 10, because for as long as its a supported operating system, its an acceptable operating system.

I'd argue that in a scenario like this even a non-supported OS would be fine. There shouldn't be anything important on the systems, but more than that, anyone who's signing into a public computer is going to be at a greater risk by connecting to a public computer than they are by an OS that isn't fully patched.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

iHotel

what a stupid name

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I would like to stay there before shuffling off my mortal coil. 

Linus said sign up instead of sign off lol...

Also is the Babe included in the free service? They are advertising "free" intimate services afterall...

image.png.9d9aa6e1430b2dc1dbf78df36c974fdd.png

I know it's supposed to be baby, but... I would still expect a babe sized bathtub, else I would want a refund.

5 hours ago, Luscious said:

You should go back there in 5 years and check it out, assuming they haven't gone under by then. Obviously everything now is new, but IT upkeep doesn't come cheap. So even with a $100/room markup compared to the "normal" hotel room, this place will be operating on an extremely thin margin.

Hotels are cheap in Taiwan. They could run a $200/room margin and still be considered relatively cheap to the average foreigner.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 hours ago, DiscoDuck101 said:

What's with the phone recording Linus over the shower behind him at 10:25??????

She was totally doing it at 4:10 too.  

Looks like you've got a stalker, Linus...  :ph34r:

Why don't you just bring a laptop so you have all your games and settings configured? Would I be able to play DOOM 2 on them?

I would consider traveling to Taiwan from the US just to stay in this hotel.  The aesthetic reminds me of a high end hotel I stayed at in NYC that was financed with Chinese money.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

As a business traveller (non-gamer) I would definitely stay in this hotel. Unfortunately I rarely work in Taiwan, and when I do it's in Taipei city, not Taoyuan.

But just having a decent computer with good peripherals in the room is hugely advantageous for something as mundane as word processing or emails. Fast internet for large file transfers and general convenience, and HDMI to the TV (while not uncommon in other Asian business hotels) is a lifesaver. First time I've ever seen a headphone jack by the bed too, which is a genius idea. 

The pod room is a cool novelty, but the real appeal lies in all of the small conveniences.

I can think of one reason why those international power outlets aren't more popular: They're a pain in the bum to get insurance to check out. 

International power outlets are a pain because they often don't have good coverage for sockets like Europlug. In order to make contact with all the different plug styles, they have to skimp on how much actual plug area actually makes contact for each specific kind of plug. To put it in perspective: Imagine if Rosewill or another company only put little tiny half-moon contacts on the 12V leads for a GPU. Lots of current in a small place means lots of heat which results in... Well, fire. 

Molex to SATA adapters often have the same issue: Cheap soldering leads to a small area with a lot of current and we know what happens then:

sata_burned1.jpg

High load in one of those international sockets is going to spell a Bad Time. Don't take my word for it, take an actual electrician's word for it! Clive is a lighting electrician who buys random crap off eBay to see just how bad it is. He got one of the ones with USB in-socket and just couldn't like the design: 

I personally would rather the hotel provide a handful of cable-based adapters. Keeping the local standard (probably 100VAC 60Hz, hopefully grounded) to a variety of standard device plugs (like C13, aka "IEC" -- what most monitors/PSUs expect) and C6 ("mickey mouse" -- what a lot of laptops expect).

Fun fact: If you're traveling to a country that has a different plug type (e.g. you're going to Britain and you're from the US/Canada), you're totally able to buy cables for your stuff. Get a USB power charger from a local reputable source for everything else (or use a USB charger with a detachable cord) and off you go. 

Linus mentioned that hotels he stayed in disabled their ethernet ports. What advantages do they gain from doing so?

6 hours ago, indrora said:

I can think of one reason why those international power outlets aren't more popular: They're a pain in the bum to get insurance to check out. 

While all of your technical reasons are valid - they actually are very common in Western hotel chains in Asia so I’m not sure what Linus is talking about there. They often spark when inserting plugs, but damn if they aren’t convenient. I wanted to outfit my house with them, but soon abandoned the idea. 

I have also seen them (or variations of) in South America quite commonly even in homes due to countries having two different plug types. 

I do have a universal touniversal adapter which I bought in India which sparks every time it’s plugged into anything because the plugs just and correct.