New Nvidia PCB With GDDR6 Pictured

UFDisciple

Source: TechPowerUp Reddit

Update: "dustinbrooks" has apparently disabled his Reddit account & thus the original post is now missing.

A rather peculiar PCB has made it's way onto Reddit from user "dustinbrooks".  He claims his friend works for a company that is currently testing these new PCBs.

The PCB features 12GB of GDDR6 memory, no GPU, an NVLink connector, 3x 8-pin PCI-E connectors for up to 525W, and plenty of connections for testing the actual PCB.

uJeYv2oDplPwsDynKiEio8e8636ljCKF1kItiscPrHY.jpg.f58264684cc250e8beead45082b3da8b.jpg

TechPowerUp tried to measure the missing die from the picture:

I tried to estimate die size from the photo. We do know from the datasheet that the GDDR6 memory chips are 14 mm x 12 mm. Based on that information I rescaled, warped and straightened the image, so that each GDDR6 memory chip is 140 x 120 pixels. With all memory chips around the GPU now being at the correct size, we can use the GPU's silkscreen print to estimate the actual size of the chip package, which I measured at 48.5 x 48.5 mm. Assuming that the inner silk screen with the solder balls represents the surface of the GPU die, we get a length of 26 mm for each side of the die, which brings die size to 676 mm². This makes it a relatively large die considering NVIDIA's existing lineup: GV100 (815 mm², Titan V), GP100 (610 mm², Quadro GP100), GP102 (471 mm², GTX 1080 Ti), GP104 (314 mm², GTX 1080), GP106 (200 mm², GTX 1060). So my initial assessment that this could be the GP102 successor seems accurate, especially since GV100 die size is quite a bit bigger than GP100 die size, by roughly 33%. Our calculated GV102 die size is 40% bigger than GP102, which falls in that range.

Buildzoid on Reddit stated: 

Kinda an odd balance. This looks like it needs more Vcore power than a TV / TV100 while probably having less mem bandwidth than either. AFAIK compute doesn't benefit from the compression tech Nvidia uses for games. So the only scenario I can think of where the mem bandwidth would be too low for the core is games unless Nvidia has a new more effective compression algorithm. However the GDDR6 is only 8Gb chips even with chips on 2 sides this would top out at 24GB. However it could be a prototype to prepare for the 16Gb density chips. However right now what's in that picture looks a little imbalanced(too much core not enough VRAM) for a pure compute card like the Tesla V100 is.

It appears that we are potentially seeing a prototype PCB for an upcoming GT102 Turing GPU, a new design for the Volta architecture with GDDR6, or a prototype board that's been fazed out & this is just a bamboozle.  The inclusion of the NVLink connectors is an interesting one & could mean that this might be a "consumer" Titan replacement for the Titan Xp, or that SLI is done with completely. 

As Buidzoid said: 

More data is necessary.

Edited by UFDisciple

That would be a great centre piece for a GPU collection.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

What GPU do you think it might be? A Quadro? It definitely doesn't look like a consumer-grade one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

What GPU do you think it might be? A Quadro? It's definitely doesn't look like a consumer-grade one.

I definitely don't think it's the 1180, but at the same time I don't think it's a Quadro either due to the low amount of GDDR6.  The NVLink connector just complicates things.  The best guesses I've seen are the "1180 Ti" or the "Titan Turing" (TT for short).  It could also just be a complete dummy board that's only used for testing GPU's and the PCB is mostly inconsequential.  
This board doesn't make a lot of sense in its current form.  NVLink, GDDR6, "smaller" amount of VRAM, large die size.  I have no idea what would fit that mold, just only rampant speculation.

those three 8 pin connectors though...probably AMD :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, UFDisciple said:

I definitely don't think it's the 1180, but at the same time I don't think it's a Quadro either due to the low amount of GDDR6.  The NVLink connector just complicates things.  The best guesses I've seen are the "1180 Ti" or the "Titan Turing" (TT for short).  It could also just be a complete dummy board that's only used for testing GPU's and the PCB is mostly inconsequential.  
This board doesn't make a lot of sense in its current form.  NVLink, GDDR6, "smaller" amount of VRAM, large die size.  I have no idea what would fit that mold, just only rampant speculation.

The 1180 Ti and next-gen Titan would likely use nearly (or literally) the same PCB, so it could represent both of them at a prototype stage.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

those three 8 pin connectors though...probably AMD :P

Or they're trying to figure out how to pull an Intel-style demo where they overclock beyond normal means to get us to salivate over their greatness.

1 minute ago, UFDisciple said:

Or they're trying to figure out how to pull an Intel-style demo where they overclock beyond normal means to get us to salivate over their greatness.

that looks like a ''generic PCB'' that can handle much more load then the final product will...with the fans and stuff...it looks like it's over engeneered for testing purposes.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Don't the GPU mounting pictures on the side of the photo indicate what it is?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

What GPU do you think it might be? A Quadro? It definitely doesn't look like a consumer-grade one.

I would think any professional grade gpu with die size that large would be using hbm2 so I would assume it is the next titan tbh. 

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Suspect it's probably just a frankin board to valid as many different components on a single PCB and reflects no actual products.

something along those lines would be my bet too.

It's kind of vague in my head but I remember seeing something on reddit/yt probably 2-3 months ago about nVidia cards all blowing up at the same place around the power delivery going back as far as the 700 series. That would be the kind of board that would be used to test these kind of issues I guess?

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

The prototype board is probably more for testing the power delivery than anything else. Better to go overkill first and then tune it down from there.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The card is an engineering sample. It does not mean the final product will need 3 8pins. Next to the nv link there is also an sli connector. Now if those are not nvlink/sli then it could be pcie x8 when the card is installed upside down. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 hours ago, AskTJ said:

I see triple 6/8 pin connectors. WOW.

Right? It rings me back to the glory days of Asus when they made the Ares and Mars dual GPU cards. I miss those days. 

What a lot of contradictory speculation this year about tNVIDIA...

The only real message about the new generation of graphics cards is, in my opinion, that the new generation is not coming for the time being.

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

The card is an engineering sample. It does not mean the final product will need 3 8pins. Next to the nv link there is also an sli connector. Now if those are not nvlink/sli then it could be pcie x8 when the card is installed upside down. 

Yes it does, it also means we are getting those thick 1980's fans.    I for one can't wait for my next PC too look like it has been made form engineering samples.  

This is cool, I bet it extrudes ABS as well if you install the makerbot drivers.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.