A good idea?!?!?!?!??!?!  

24 members have voted

1. 1. A good idea?!?!??!?!??!?!

• Yes
    • Oof you dumy

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on Jun 08, 2018 at 08:12 AM

Okay, okay. I know that is a big no no, and many people buy the wrong RAM by accident. But DDR3 is cheaper. And for people that don't need speeds from DDR4, they are forced to upgrade in order to have a motherboard compatible with new CPUs and other components. But -- is it actually possible? that is the real question. I know the short answer is obvious, but is there actually a way?

I find that since I, don't personally need the speeds, I want to be able to buy a good modern motherboard, and not have to worry about finding a pot of gold in order to have more than 4 GB of RAM for my editing and gaming.

Hopefully you guys understand!

-iKingRPG

Note: I don't know alot about overclocking ram, or why it is a thing, but idk if i can change some software thing to change the ram type to make it compatable. Can't really find anything on this, and assuming u can't do anything to make it work. It's ok either way.

5 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

But -- is it actually possible?

no hence why the slots are not the same slot. Not to mention the memory and controllers being totally different.

giuhllphy.gif

On 6/6/2018 at 10:29 PM, IgorM said:

also size and number of pins is different

I didn't mention, I have seen adapters online, but from what i have read, all they do is make them physically fit. I don't really know about frequency and stuff a lot.....

On 6/6/2018 at 10:31 PM, Belzebuth said:

You could buy second hand DDR4, it's the only "cheap" way

True. I was just curious if there was a way because I am only 13, therefore I'm not the wealthiest. The cheap way is kind of where I was aiming in this post.

On 6/6/2018 at 10:28 PM, IgorM said:

they are electrically uncompatible

I am aware. I was just wondering because RAM isn't cheap.... I could also just buy used laptops online and take out ram and buy adapters like Linus did in one video. Some people who sell used stuff have no idea what the value is in the inside.... That is one way to get cheap DDR4 instead I guess.

4 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

True. I was just curious if there was a way because I am only 13, therefore I'm not the wealthiest. The cheap way is kind of where I was aiming in this post.

Different voltage, your CPU will be fried

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

no hence why the slots are not the same slot. Not to mention the memory and controllers being totally different.

giuhllphy.gif

i know, but i just thought maybe i could force it to work by programming something.

8 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

Okay, okay. I know that is a big no no, and many people buy the wrong RAM by accident. But DDR3 is cheaper. And for people that don't need speeds from DDR4, they are forced to upgrade in order to have a motherboard compatible with new CPUs and other components. But -- is it actually possible? that is the real question. I know the short answer is obvious, but is there actually a way?

I find that since I, don't personally need the speeds, I want to be able to buy a good modern motherboard, and not have to worry about finding a pot of gold in order to have more than 4 GB of RAM for my editing and gaming.

Hopefully you guys understand!

-iKingRPG

Note: I don't know alot about overclocking ram, or why it is a thing, but idk if i can change some software thing to change the ram type to make it compatable. Can't really find anything on this, and assuming u can't do anything to make it work. It's ok either way.

Let's completely ignore the IMC limitations and massive difference inner timings between the two, and focus strictly on electrical signals and physical pinouts of the two types of DIMM's. 

DDR3:

image.png.924d4a9d787be6843171ea654255b32f.png

DDR4:

image.png.7f47ec2735e630515a40196b92ad7bda.png

Ignoring the fact that you would somehow need to account for the lack of those missing 48 pins, you would also need to completely reassign the function of the pins themselves, and alter the trace topology of the DIMM's to account for that change in signal. You would need to first get by this physical limitation before you could even address the aforementioned issues with the IMC and vastly different timing configurations. 

Just now, JDE said:

The CPU itself would likely be fine (assuming you are referring to VDIMM and not VCCIO/SA), but the board might not have a good time, lol.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Well i thought because I have seen wall adapters that change voltage from like american cable to european wall outlet.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

The CPU itself would likely be fine (assuming you are referring to VDIMM and not VCCIO/SA), but the board might not have a good time, lol.

IMC?

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just save up a little more money and do it properly. Oy.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 6/6/2018 at 10:46 PM, MageTank said:

Let's completely ignore the IMC limitations and massive difference inner timings between the two, and focus strictly on electrical signals and physical pinouts of the two types of DIMM's. 

DDR3:

DDR4:

Ignoring the fact that you would somehow need to account for the lack of those missing 48 pins, you would also need to completely reassign the function of the pins themselves, and alter the trace topology of the DIMM's to account for that change in signal. You would need to first get by this physical limitation before you could even address the aforementioned issues with the IMC and vastly different timing configurations. 

Thanks for that. I just lost some hope, and at the same time am happy for your answer... Thanks for the better understanding.

On 6/6/2018 at 10:48 PM, dizmo said:

Just save up a little more money and do it properly. Oy.

Yeah good idea. Especially after seeing MageTank's post. Thanks guys. Let me know if there is a cheap way that will work properly. Thanks again.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

IMC?

That would be the VCCIO/SA voltages I referred to. I thought you were referring to VDIMM when you told him "different voltages", because VDIMM is the only advertised voltage on memory.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, iKingRPG said:

Yeah good idea. Especially after seeing MageTank's post. Thanks guys. Let me know if there is a cheap way that will work properly. Thanks again.

DDR3 in one of those weird B150 boards 

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

I just took 4gb out of my 12gb laptop to add to my desktop pc after i buy an adapter. My laptop is a HP 15-bs033cl and i use it lightly for document editing and other lightweight software. Hopefully this works like it did for Linus in his video. The items on ebay look a little sketchy. Have high shipping costs too.

12 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

I just took 4gb out of my 12gb laptop to add to my desktop pc after i buy an adapter. My laptop is a HP 15-bs033cl and i use it lightly for document editing and other lightweight software. Hopefully this works like it did for Linus in his video. The items on ebay look a little sketchy. Have high shipping costs too.

if you dont care about speed why not use virtual memory sure it wont give you the performance but if you really need it that's an option 

49 minutes ago, IgorM said:

they are electrically uncompatible

They could've just gotten an electrical adapter.

Just buy some DDR4 ram, with your trying to "save" and yet getting them adapters defeats the purpose of saving.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill - Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($136.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $296.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-07 00:29 EDT-0400

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, iKingRPG said:

I am aware. I was just wondering because RAM isn't cheap

as said before you can buy from ebay for lower prices. Ram prices went up beacause of nand chip shortage

1 hour ago, iKingRPG said:

I could also just buy used laptops online

probably way more expensive than just buying the ram itself. not worth it

You know what, bacon is even cheaper than DDR3, maybe you could make bacon work? Or cardboard, could you program the CPU and motherboard for cardboard compatibility? While your at it, maybe you could make your mums Saab run on maple syrup.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

On 6/6/2018 at 11:17 PM, ZcanKal said:

They could've just gotten an electrical adapter.

exacty my point.

On 6/7/2018 at 12:33 AM, asand1 said:

You know what, bacon is even cheaper than DDR3, maybe you could make bacon work? Or cardboard, could you program the CPU and motherboard for cardboard compatibility? While your at it, maybe you could make your mums Saab run on maple syrup.

Good idea. I'll try that!!!! :)

On 6/7/2018 at 12:26 AM, IgorM said:

as said before you can buy from ebay for lower prices. Ram prices went up beacause of nand chip shortage

probably way more expensive than just buying the ram itself. not worth it

Well believe it or not, ive seen laptops that came out last year on eBay for $10 US dollars because they think it is trash since they broke their screen or something. I have even seen potato pcs like those from HP where 12gb of ddr4 is standard. Also desktop computers are they same kind of thing. I guess your right though, so I just gotta pay for ddr4. and there is no good way out of it. that was the point of this post.