Razer asks for your employment information if you buy something on Razer online store

fuck this. Closest I've had to do standard identity verification for payment gateways before, and that's about it. Vultr too I guess, but it was optional to do auto pay and not use paypal. None of those ask personal questions like that, just need ID. 

These are the same fuckers that want you to be connected to the internet and logged in for your fucking mouse. I would have cancelled. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

its not as bad as facebook asking for your nudes to prevent your nudes getting leaked (true story) 

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

By any chance were you using a VPN when you placed the order? It's possible that there have been a number of fraudulent purchases made on the same IP by people using the same VPN service. Razer would have flagged the purchase order as being suspicious if it comes from a known suspect IP for further review before allowing it to proceed.

nop not at all

1 hour ago, aki adaki said:

Just don't put correct information in?? That, or order from somewhere else. I usually keep emails for just different sites and stuff. That or individual ones for accounts. You could too, cause it's free and everything. 

I believe they will verify it. I've used some software with education licence, while they can't access any student info, they do have the permission to verify if someone exists.

Kind of related by not really. This reminded me of a time when someone on another forum was asking why Valve wanted their social security number and other information related to taxes, thinking someone or Valve was trying to phish them.

A little investigation revealed that Valve has to file a tax form on your behalf if you sold your items (something like over 200 transactions or $10,000 worth of transactions in a tax year) because technically you're using Valve as a storefront and that stuff needs to be reported to the IRS. At least, this applies in the US. I even showed that person the FAQ and IRS page and all that, but they still wouldn't believe it was legitimate. Well, I hope that person didn't get audited.

Anywho, if you're not comfortable buying directly from them and you still want a Razer laptop for some reason, there's always the distributors who probably won't ask you such things.

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Kind of related by not really. This reminded me of a time when someone on another forum was asking why Valve wanted their social security number and other information related to taxes, thinking someone or Valve was trying to phish them.

A little investigation revealed that Valve has to file a tax form on your behalf if you sold your items (something like over 200 transactions or $10,000 worth of transactions in a tax year) because technically you're using Valve as a storefront and that stuff needs to be reported to the IRS. At least, this applies in the US. I even showed that person the FAQ and IRS page and all that, but they still wouldn't believe it was legitimate. Well, I hope that person didn't get audited.

Anywho, if you're not comfortable buying directly from them and you still want a Razer laptop for some reason, there's always the distributors who probably won't ask you such things.

Ignore all craps below

original: ~~If Steam is a storefront, do you have to show your ID when you try to grab a soda from your local convenience store?~~

Edited by badhusband

I'd cancel my order immediately. There's no reason for them to require that.

Also, you'd be saving yourself the headache of a Razer product ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

If there was a joke here, then this is me:

e37.png

OK $h!t I misunderstood LOL. Yeah these are completely separate things

Razer is one of those brands where I don't understand why people still buy from them. At least with Apple there's something "prestigious" about it. Razer? Expensive, uninspiring products that's almost guaranteed to go wrong in the first few months. They make British Leyland look good. This is just the icing on the cake. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

Feel free to copy or distribute this reply email I would have sent.

Dear Razer:

Access Denied

Sincerely,

Former customer.

Love it 

19 hours ago, badhusband said:

Although I'm not protected by GDPR because I'm buying it from the U.S., it's still unacceptable.

What a time to be... an European.

I wouldn't be byuing Razer stuff even if it was available here, but any company trying to pull this BS and making it a condition of service for an European customer is in TROUBLE. Up to 4 % of global revenue of trouble.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

protect the security of our customers

verify your identity

we have your best interests in mind

Spoiler

to ensure that your identity is well protected

classic, I wouldn't reply, they're collecting info

also I wouldn't buy their overpriced stuff but that's a different story

18 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Why don't you just buy a laptop from a brand that doesn't suck?

If I'm BUYING something, specially in cash, I am literally not in the obligation to prove or provide any personal information like this is a joke.

I don't think there's cash in the 1st world as everything is made with cards, bank accounts, websites and stuff like that, well that's what I've seen and being told

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Why class schedule though? Preventing fraud by giving my class schedule? No, just no.

Also, get literally any other laptop. Hell, I'll even take the toasty ASUS GL503GS over this. It's not a great laptop but at least stuff just won't randomly die for no reason regularly

Ask @Pendragon or @ZM Fong for laptop advice. They'll give you terrific suggestions.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

30 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Why class schedule though? Preventing fraud by giving my class schedule? No, just no.

IIRC Amazon Prime Student also requires (or accepts) a class schedule if you want to renew it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

IIRC Amazon Prime Student also requires (or accepts) a class schedule if you want to renew it. 

Wouldn't a valid student ID be enough? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

24 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Wouldn't a valid student ID be enough? 

They didn't ask. They wanted my schedule and an EDU email iirc. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:33 PM, Princess Cadence said:

Why don't you just buy a laptop from a brand that doesn't suck?

If I'm BUYING something, specially in cash, I am literally not in the obligation to prove or provide any personal information like this is a joke.

If one is going to do something stupid like buy a Razer product, at least buy it used at a massive discount.

I've just realized that I've hit 777 posts. Will never post again.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

On 6/2/2018 at 7:34 PM, badhusband said:

After I explained that I'm a student and do not have a full time job, they replied:

So, did you use a student discount?

If so, then yeah, it's normal that they're trying to validate that you're a student .. my guess is they also have discounts for targeted corporate customers and will also need to validate your employment if you use a corporate discount, and that might explain the first email asking you about your employment.

That detail is in one of the post you linked (the OP in one of the link used an EDU discount and they tried to confirm he was a student, that's completely normal).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

If so, then yeah, it's normal

In this case it would be good for the chat guy to just confirm that. No bullshit about "trying to protect your personal data" and " your security is our highest priority" but simply

"Dude, want a student discount, show that you are student" :D

I bought only once from Razer store directly and apparently I dodged the bullet, though it might be because I'm European.  

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

32 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

In this case it would be good for the chat guy to just confirm that. No bullshit about "trying to protect your personal data" and " your security is our highest priority" but simply

"Dude, want a student discount, show that you are student" :D

I bought only once from Razer store directly and apparently I dodged the bullet, though it might be because I'm European.  

Except that seems to be missing from the OP, not sure if he forgot to mention it or not. Also from the correspondence I don't know why they mention security and then asks for employment details, that doesn't add up, but they maybe it's because he tried to use some discount without providing enough information, or maybe the transaction looked suspect because of reasons we aren't aware of. Personally I would've called right away to clear things up. 

I've bought stuff with student discount before, and providing some ID and proof of being a student is part of getting said discount.

BTW, not saying I'm right, just saying this sounds to be an issue with a student discount and maybe some mistake with communications on Razer's part.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

16 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Except that seems to be missing from the OP, not sure if he forgot to mention it or not.

he also doesnt mention if he's buying it outright, or doing financing through them.  if he does financing, i would 100% expect them to want that information.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just skip that part, and if you cant outright lie!

Like if you flip burgs for $10/hr, then say to them you are a "professional" making $350k a year.

• 1 year later...
On 6/4/2018 at 4:08 PM, wkdpaul said:

So, did you use a student discount?

On 6/5/2018 at 12:06 PM, Tsuki said:

he also doesnt mention if he's buying it outright, or doing financing through them.  if he does financing, i would 100% expect them to want that information.

In case anyone still finds this thread, no I wasn't using any financing and didn't get any coupons/discounts.