AMD to publicily reveal new HW at Computex.

https://videocardz.com/76372/amd-promises-never-before-seen-hardware-demonstration-for-computex-press-conference
So, this is somewhat expected as computex is where many companies show off the latest and greatest, and it was known that AMD is hosting a press conference. However, we now seem to have confirmation that new products of some sort will be shown.

Join the webcast of the AMD COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2018 Press Conference on Wednesday, June 6, 201 at 10 a.m. CST / Taipei

The one-hour event will feature:

• Updates on current and upcoming AMD products by AMD President and CEO Dr. Lisa Su and Senior Vice President and General Manager, Computing and Graphics Business Group, Jim Anderson
  • Appearances by AMD technology partners
  • Never-before-seen AMD hardware demonstrations and new details showcasing AMD high performance leadership and innovation

Honestly, the timing seems right for AMD on all fronts. They could realistically show off Vega "totally not nano" Nano, Vega 7nm, Threadripper 2, and the new APUs that were leaked.  Of course there could be something out of left field too.

I am personally hoping to see vega 7nm the most, because it's laying the ground work for Navi, and shows what kinds of gains we can expect to see at the node level. Nvidia does not yet have a 7nm gpu.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I was interested in Vega Nano when they were hyping how good Vega was. Now though? Not really. It's kind of dead. The performance isn't that great, especially for the price, and frankly now that Nvidias next gen cards aren't too far off, it seems like it'd be a foolish purchase.

Threadripper 2 would be interesting...but that's about it. Few people here actually need something like that.

Vega 7nm, same as my first point. Likely too highly priced with meh performance.

Now, if it was something GDDR6 based instead of HBM? Then I'd be interested.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Wonder how much they mean by never seen before, could be as simple as new products or something more interesting. I know they are working on something very special with HPE that they said they would be showing off at the end of the year, maybe they will show off a prototype of that.

I feel like this is more of a proof of concept presentation for AMD, aside from introduction of semi-new SKU like the 2600H, 200GE and TR 2xxx. We know what Zen+ can do, so these arent really interesting to us hardware enthusiasts.

Vega 7nm looks like a test subject of 7nm process, which is a smart move as the source of error will only be related to the process node. It's not something I'd buy though, since cost is what hurts Vega cards most and a new process wont help. Yes, I know AMD cards are power hungry but as a gamer, I dont care about that as much as long as the card cost less than Nvidia's competing card.

I hope AMD will talk a bit more on Navi, only hoping.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Vega 7nm looks like a test subject of 7nm process, which is a smart move as the source of error will only be related to the process node. It's not something I'd buy though, since cost is what hurts Vega cards most and a new process wont help.

It very much is a pipe cleaner for AMD, and the isolation to node improvements is why I am excited, but it's apparently only being sold in Radeon Instinct cards, so they will be expensive and not marketed to us anyways.

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Hopefully whatever they reveal is hot shit, Nvidia running away with the GPU market isn't an exciting prospect.

Now that they have actually good CPUs I'd rather they focus on that for the next year or so, more money in that market, then go back and revive the GPU business.

Just now, leadeater said:

Now that they have actually good CPUs I'd rather they focus on that for the next year or so, more money in the market, then go back and revive the GPU business.

Maybe, but still, I don't want the 1080Ti to be the peak of affordable performance for the next year and a half, not when it's already been out for that long. If AMD can shit on Intel's parade they should be able to shit on Nvidia's too.

7 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Maybe, but still, I don't want the 1080Ti to be the peak of affordable performance for the next year and a half, not when it's already been out for that long. If AMD can shit on Intel's parade they should be able to shit on Nvidia's too.

I don't think they will be able to, not without a bunch of caveats that will spark arguments for the ages i.e. power draw. RTG trying to do things they just can't hurts their rep every time, biggest reason Ryzen got so much hype was consumers and AMD themselves gave up on the notion that they had high end CPUs so stopped trying to act like they did or could until something drastic was done. Just do the same now, stop competing above 1070 tier performance until you can do something drastic then ride that bigger wave not ones that you can't surf because they never break (fyi don't know a damn thing about surfing lol).

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I don't they will be able to, not without a bunch of caveats that will spark agreements for the ages i.e. power draw. RTG trying to do things they just can't hurts their rep every time, biggest reason Ryzen got so much hype was consumers and AMD themselves gave up on the notion that they had high end CPUs so stopped trying to act like they did or could until something drastic was done. Just do the same now, stop competing above 1070 tier performance until you can do something drastic then ride that bigger wave not ones that you can't surf because they never break (fyi don't know a damn thing about surfing lol).

You're probably right, and that's the worst thing. 1080Ti is so far from Vega that it isn't even funny. If AMD give up on competing with Nvidia like they did with Intel post-Sandy Bridge we're in for some really, really shitty times.

1 minute ago, Cookybiscuit said:

You're probably right, and that's the worst thing. 1080Ti is so far from Vega that it isn't even funny. If AMD give up on competing with Nvidia like the did with Intel post-Sandy Bridge we're in for some really, really shitty times.

Hope it's only going to be a 12-24 month long shit sandwich and not 120 months. 

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The shit sandwich has already been pretty indigestible to be fair, the last time AMD shit on Nvidia's parade hardcore was 280X. Since then it's been a case of "buy AMD if you want to mine, buy Nvidia if you want to game". 

Right now there's pretty much no reason what so ever to buy an AMD card despite AMD's dumb shit like them offering discounts on games and monitors.

I'm really hoping for a break through on infinity fab gpus

please please please

imagine 4 chips working to give 3/4 the performance but seen as 1 using something like the old school hydra chip inside

hmmm

38 minutes ago, pas008 said:

please please please

imagine 4 chips working to give 3/4 the performance but seen as 1 using something like the old school hydra chip inside

hmmm

You're basically asking to see navi :P

Just now, Swatson said:

navi hasnt been confirmed multi die seen as one yet most likely with small latency penalty

34 minutes ago, leadeater said:

25 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

The shit sandwich has already been pretty indigestible to be fair, the last time AMD shit on Nvidia's parade hardcore was 280X. Since then it's been a case of "buy AMD if you want to mine, buy Nvidia if you want to game". 

Right now there's pretty much no reason what so ever to buy an AMD card despite AMD's dumb shit like them offering discounts on games and monitors.

Until AMD moves off GCN, they're going to be the better Compute cards at their die size, which is a problem because games have only just barely started to leverage those abilities. (Probably in most part because Nvidia cards can't be leveraged as well.)  And I don't think we're giving enough concern that the multiple mining booms has meant that for most of the last 5 years, it's not mattered what AMD's relative gaming performance was to Nvidia. If you can't buy the cards, no one thinks to buy the cards the next time around.

RX Vega's gaming performance has literally not mattered, as pretty much since launch the cards have sold out at above MSRP. (MSRP is actually really well priced and was likely always the range AMD probably was targeting, though the HBM2 being at least twice as expensive as expected blew a few things up.) The cards might finally be available around their real value after the 1100 series from Nvidia launches, but watch a new coin get popular at the end of the year.

Even a functional shrink of Vega (as Navi) with GDDR6 should be able to come in at the mid-range for pricing, which means AMD will still compete in the mid-range without too much issue. Really competing against Nvidia's high-end, which really isn't that profitable of an endeavor, is probably not until 2021 range and the new Architecture. 

Related to that, but Intel's Server business' revenue is something like 5x greater than Nvidia's total revenue. There's a reason AMD is so hell-bent on getting Epyc 2 out.

46 minutes ago, pas008 said:

please please please

hmmm

8 minutes ago, Swatson said:

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

navi hasnt been confirmed multi die seen as one yet most likely with small latency penalty

If we see multi-die Navi, it's only going to be on compute cards. First Gen would probably have too many penalties to make it not have weird issues in gaming. Vega had enough IF, for control layer, that they could definitely head that direction, but MCM seems a lot more potent for Professional workloads.

What we should all hope for is GCN finally scaling better with ROP/CU counts.

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

If we see multi-die Navi, it's only going to be on compute cards. First Gen would probably have too many penalties to make it not have weird issues in gaming. Vega had enough IF, for control layer, that they could definitely head that direction, but MCM seems a lot more potent for Professional workloads.

What we should all hope for is GCN finally scaling better with ROP/CU counts.

yes I know have had many conversations on this

but if they also made something liek the old school hydra chips they could be on to something fast

but remember this is on same gpu not motherboard dependant

link for reference

which is old and needed updating itself

https://www.anandtech.com/show/2844

edit yes I said 2 butts

and 2 are better than 1 lol especially when comes to butts

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

yes I know have had many conversations on this

but if they also made something liek the old school hydra chips they could be on to something fast

but remember this is on same gpu not motherboard dependant

link for reference

which is old and needed updating itself

https://www.anandtech.com/show/2844

The issue with MCM on GPUs is the same as we've been dealing when talking about Ryzen's Memory sensitivity. Games are really, really sensitive to latency, while compute-type workloads care about throughput. Getting the gaming aspect working would require some driver work, but we're at the point it's very doable. It ends up looking like Epyc & Threadripper, but they'd want to roll it out on Compute first. Once it's established there, they'd have time to work out the bugs before trying to launch a Gaming GPU with it.

Not that another mining boom probably makes all of those unaffordable again.

2 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Hopefully whatever they reveal is hot shit

AMD graphic cards always run hotter than Nvidia ones, so this will probably be as well.

Another Polaris rebrand incoming? It's that time of year again...

Just now, leadeater said:

Nvidia furnace Fermi? 480 ran as hot as the dual GPU 4870X2 lol.

Think he means current, not ones from a million years ago :D

But yes, they were hot feckers!! 470's in SLi were.......interesting :o

1 minute ago, JediFragger said:

Think he means current, not ones from a million years ago :D

But yes, they were hot feckers!! 470's in SLi were.......interesting :o

Hey, it was about 'always' :P. The ref cooler on my 4850 was so bad though, omg.

43 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The issue with MCM on GPUs is the same as we've been dealing when talking about Ryzen's Memory sensitivity. Games are really, really sensitive to latency, while compute-type workloads care about throughput. Getting the gaming aspect working would require some driver work, but we're at the point it's very doable. It ends up looking like Epyc & Threadripper, but they'd want to roll it out on Compute first. Once it's established there, they'd have time to work out the bugs before trying to launch a Gaming GPU with it.

Not that another mining boom probably makes all of those unaffordable again.

have you looked at those old school benches with hydra included? in 2009