Rumor: One iPhone model will have triple rear cameras in 2019

Source: Mac Rumors

iphone-x-triple-lens-martin-hajek-idropnews-800x652.jpg

Apple will launch at least one new iPhone model with a triple-lens rear camera in 2019, according to Taiwanese website Economic Daily News, citing a research note from Deutsche Securities analyst Jialin Lu. 

Lu believes the triple-lens camera system will enable advanced 3D sensing via stereoscopic vision, with two of the sensors able to capture images of a single object from different angles. A triangulation method would then be used to obtain the distance between the iPhone and the object. 

Like the TrueDepth system on the front of the iPhone X, the report suggests that the rear 3D sensing will be used for augmented reality purposes. The prediction lines up with a report from Bloomberg's Alex Webb, who last year said future iPhones will be equipped with rear-facing 3D sensing capabilities. 

The long-focus lens would likely enable 3x optical zoom on an iPhone for the first time, enabling users to magnify the image in the viewfinder by up to three times without a blurry reduction in quality like digital zoom. iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X models feature 2x optical zoom for comparison. 

I don't know about you but that AR stuff isn't that exciting if all you can do is mix and match furniture using the IKEA app or play Pokemon Go. Other than facial recognition which the iPhone X already has with Face ID, the only thing I can think of a use case of a rear depth sensing camera is bokeh like the old HTC One M8 though it's a shoddy implementation or when trying to 3D print something.

What I find exciting though is 3x optical zoom which means a person can shoot video or photo from a distance and it will retain all details without the half assed digital zoom done by most phones. The current Huawei P20 also has a triple camera set up with a 40 MP RGB sensor, 20 MP monochrome sensor and an 8 MP sensor for optical zoom. The current iPhone X has 12 MP primary sensor with OIS and a 2x telephoto sensor with OIS as well. So I'm guessing if the rumors are true, Apple won't do Huawei's style of triple cameras with separate RGB and monochrome sensors but rather a primary camera, a depth sensing sensor and a 3x optical zoom sensor. Either Apple is trying to perfect bokeh like a dSLR with their portrait mode (which they will never achieve) or they're planning to use three camera sensors at the same time for AR. Apple already has the chip to power AR with their A11 Bionic SoC, it just sucks that one must wait till next year so might mean that in September 2018, we'll get the iPhone 10s or iPhone 8s and a mid season refresh in January like the iPhone X. And of course, new iPhone comes premium price so it will cost $1000 or more. 

I still think the notch is a fugly trend in phones that will unfortunately never die just like how OEMs got rid of the poor headphone jack just to have skinny, anorexic designs. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Why do people want zoom so much? Id take a wide FOV over zoom any day and is the only perk of going HTC. 

How many times do you actually zoom on your camera opposed to having walk back to get everything in the shot?

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Why do people want zoom so much? Id take a wide FOV over zoom any day and is the only perk of going HTC. 

How many times do you actually zoom on your camera opposed to having walk back to get everything in the shot?

I can think of a few use cases of optical zoom:

• Husbands/wives trying to spy on their philandering spouses
  • Cops trying to collect evidence from afar 
  • Taking a picture of something far like business hours but you're inside a car or in a sidewalk
  • Recording a concert but you're in the middle or at the back (even though it will sound like shit afterwards)

By no means am I a photographer but in some situations, you might want a narrow field of view or else a photo will become overexposed and become less sharp with a wide angle.

Why not a set of standard, wide-angle and zoom lens/sensors? If you're going to implement 3 sensors/lenses on a phone, you might as well make them things people actually want. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Eh? Maybe I'm stupid. But how is two cameras placed next to each other able to capture images from different angles?

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Why not a set of standard, wide-angle and zoom lens/sensors? If you're going to implement 3 sensors/lenses on a phone, you might as well make them things people actually want. 

I think some of Apples internal polling shows that most people want optical zoom over a wide angle lense. 

I myself find a zoom much more useful/practical than a wide angle lens. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Eh? Maybe I'm stupid. But how is two cameras placed next to each other able to capture images from different angles?

Use the top and bottom cameras to triangulate the shifts in an objects position. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:
  • Husbands/wives trying to spy on their philandering spouses
  • Cops trying to collect evidence from afar 
  • Taking a picture of something far like business hours but you're inside a car or in a sidewalk
  • Recording a concert but you're in the middle or at the back (even though it will sound like shit afterwards)

Anymore completely random example you got for me? I mean this isnt a /s post is it? If it isnt how can you be serious. 

Again, the amount of times you NEED to zoom in opposed to zoom out is night and day. People are always trying to get more in the FOV

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

I think some of Apples internal polling shows that most people want optical zoom over a wide angle lense. 

But why not all three (so both wide angle and optical zoom) instead of a monochrome or another sensor at a different angle for AR/3D? Is it really that hard to give us three lenses/sensors that are all useful instead of being used for some gimmick? 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

4 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

You kinda just said it. Think of your eyes, Both of them are on the same plane and heigth, due to the beeing spread apart by a couple of inch your brain triangulates the distance to the object you are looking at. :)

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Again, the amount of times you NEED to zoom in opposed to zoom out is night and day. People are always trying to get more in the FOV

Optical zoom is a nice thing to have even if one uses it occasionally. Even my cousin who owns an iPhone X said to me she rarely uses it but it's nice to have one and at the same time, it pushes the boundaries on what a smartphone camera can do.

Well if you like to photograph wildlife it may be useful to have a decent zoom on a phone camera.

Same if you want to take a long distance image with people in the foreground and then another quicker close up without having to walk forward.

1 minute ago, LordOTaco said:

Next model will have 6 cameras including one installed in your rectum with laser beam functionality.  Think Different.

There's already something similar though with someone like Apple who values aesthetic looks, this will never reach their phones. :P

The Light L16 Camera

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You have to zoom in quite a bit before that lens kicks in...who are you spying on to zoom in that much?

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

Optical zoom is a nice thing to have even if one uses it occasionally. Even my cousin who owns an iPhone X said to me she rarely uses it but it's nice to have one and at the same time, it pushes the boundaries on what a smartphone camera can do.

Ok but you are still ignoring my point. If you use zoom rarely but a wider angle would be used more often...again why choose zoom over wide angle? Even if its useful in specific situations, the difference in quality is minimal. 

3 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

There's already something similar though with someone like Apple who values aesthetic looks, this will never reach their phones. :P

Do you mean to say that Apple doesn't think that my butt is not aesthetic enough?  I want a butt laser damnit!

The more the merrier i say. Still wishing for wideangle lenses though. Zoom is less helpful than i first though when i got it

11 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Ok but you are still ignoring my point. If you use zoom rarely but a wider angle would be used more often...again why choose zoom over wide angle? Even if its useful in specific situations, the difference in quality is minimal. 

because with a wide angle lens you're basically cropping the image aka digital zoom which results to the loss of detail. Wide angle lenses are used to allow more light to reduce noise and increase brightness in low light shots and to capture more objects in a scene. 

If you have used a dSLR, try comparing a shot taken with an f/18 lens and a f/3.5 lens and try to zoom in to those pictures in your computer and see which ones will lose details more once you zoom in 4 or 5x.

Damn I miss my old Nikon d5000 :( 

12 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

You have to zoom in quite a bit before that lens kicks in...who are you spying on to zoom in that much?

Teenagers zooming in to help pop their pimples, duuhhh!!! 

Best invention ever I tell you ?

seriously though, might actually be a thing for some if the mirror doesn’t work well enough

7 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

because with a wide angle lens you're basically cropping the image aka digital zoom which results to the loss of detail. Wide angle lenses are used to allow more light to reduce noise and increase brightness in low light shots and to capture more objects in a scene. 

If you have used a dSLR, try comparing a shot taken with an f/18 lens and a f/3.5 lens and try to zoom in to those pictures in your computer and see which ones will lose details more once you zoom in 4 or 5x.

Damn I miss my old Nikon d5000 :( 

I was a professional photographer at my parents photo business....yes I know how lenses work.

And no, a wide angle lens in not cropping the image via digital zoom, like not at all. The loss of detail is due to more information on the same sized sensor and pulling out a bit from the subject. Wide angle lenses DO NOT allow more light, there is still an aperture limiting light. 

So your info on wide angle lenses are very wrong, especially when it comes to the f/18 vs f/3.5.....that loss of detail has little to do with zoom, but more to do with the way focus works with f-stops.  

You need to go read some documentation on wide angles vs large aperture vs short focal length/large aperture , because I think you are getting them confused. 

24 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

On the current iPhone 7 Plus, 8 Plus, and X the Optical lens kicks in whenever you zoom in up to 2x Zoom and has no loss in quality. After 2x zoom the digital zoom kicks in with the aid of the Optical Zoom Lens. 

The benefits of the Optical Zoom Lens exist at every zoom level. 

Just have one great huge sensor instead of three. Has it become some kind of a camera race, who can fit more megapixels, more sensors, higher DxOmark score?

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB