Tachyum teases tenfold performance boost for CPU's

The company Tachyum claims the developt an "Universal Processor" with the combined benefits of GPU's and CPU's as a CPU replacement that is 10x faster than common CPU's.

Also they say that they will reach the processing capacity of a human braim sized neural network in 2020 by using 256.000 of their Prodigy processors.

"A small processor start-up, Tachyum, claims to have developed a 'universal processor platform' which offers an order-of-magnitude improvement over the performance-per-watt of existing chips - and claims it will be ready to simulate a human brain in real-time on the platform by 2020."

Here is an article about the claims they make:

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/cpus/tachyum-teases-tenfold-performance-boost/1/

And some more for cross-checking:

https://www.scientific-computing.com/news/tachyum-announce-new-processor-platform

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tachyum-unveils-the-worlds-1st-universal-processor-platform-with-more-than-10x-the-performance-of-conventional-processors-300650493.html

And the presentation they made:

https://www.slideshare.net/insideHPC/introducing-the-tachyum-prodigy-processor

16 minutes ago, DerEntinator said:

~snip~

Ehh I'll believe it when I see it.

If these processors are truly massively parrallel like they imply I've got to wonder how they'll perform on real world workloads.

Even if they do work well it's meaningless to the end consumer because they're not x86 so they're worthless.

On the data center side it still means redesigning all your software for the new architecture, and right now most of that work is going into redevelopment for RISC-V. If the real-world performance isn't actually that big I expect data centers to largely ignore it.

All in all the lack of details and proven silicon make this look more like a cry for investors or acquisition rather than an actual tech announcement.

I find it quite peculiar when 1 post accounts that are not even an hour old, post news about tech from a startup that (obviously) needs investors, with a promise that seems to good to be true. 

I do see that people involved are ex-Skyera folks whom WD bought, so they are legit, but I am more than skeptical about this.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Tachyum’s architecture overcomes the limitations of semiconductor device physics, which were thought to be insolvable. Tachyum in essence solved the performance problem of connecting very fast transistors with very slow wires

If a company claims to have overcome a limitation which has caused issues for multi billion dollar companies I think some sort of proof or explanation would be appropriate.

About Tachyum

Named for the Greek “tachy,” meaning speed, combined with “-um,” indicating an element, Tachyum emerged from stealth mode in 2017 to engineer disruptive intelligent information processing products.

You are a company, not a Klingon attack vessel...

That's a skeptical deadline tbf

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You know who else tried this and failed, AMD.

When?Are you talking about their heterogeneous APUs?

5 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

When?Are you talking about their heterogeneous APUs?

Yep, their HSA program. Combine CPU and GPU in to a unified computing platform and tasks will be executed where they perform the fastest. Was a lot of talk and not much actual delivery.

Just now, leadeater said:

Yep, their HSA program. Combine CPU and GPU in to a unified computing platform and tasks will be executed where they perform the fastest. Was a lot of talk and not much actual delivery.

Isn't HSA still a big push on the server side, and isn't AMD still a big player?

HSA is still a big deal on phones too, just less in your face.

I'll admit I haven't followed HSA much in the past few years but thought it was still very much alive and kicking?

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You know who else tried this and failed, AMD.

Watch it be 8-way CMT. :)

Though it's probably something more like a GPU design with "core" processing abilities, and on-die memory. Or something like that. They don't seem to have any focus for Desktop, so they do have space to do some really wonky things.

4 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Isn't HSA still a big push on the server side, and isn't AMD still a big player?

HSA is still a big deal on phones too, just less in your face.

I'll admit I haven't followed HSA much in the past few years but thought it was still very much alive and kicking?

Yea I think it ultimately morphed in to or Gen-Z was seen as more viable program. Every major player, not Intel or Nvidia, are in on that and HPE have a working system called The Machine.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

and HPE have a working system called The Machine.

Best. Name. Ever. "AND IN THIS CORNER WE HAVE... THE MACHINE!!!!"

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Watch it be 8-way CMT. :)

Or 8-way per core SMT. Watch out Power, they're coming for you xP

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Though it's probably something more like a GPU design with "core" processing abilities, and on-die memory. Or something like that. They don't seem to have any focus for Desktop, so they do have space to do some really wonky things.

So like the reverse of what Intel did with Xeon Phi?

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Yea I think it ultimately morphed in to or Gen-Z was seen as more viable program. Every major player, not Intel or Nvidia, are in on that and HPE have a working system called The Machine.

AMD is headed toward some of the Gen-Z approach with the direction Zen design suggests. Plus their Game Consoles are getting there with each generation.

As for this Tachyum stuff, given the BS-ish talking points, I'm guessing it's an approach that requires complete vertical integration within the product. They're probably planning to put a bunch of their APUs on fully built boards.

too good to be true.

one thing i don't get following their own tweet they say they have unveiled today this new chip. But there isn't a single proof beyond bold claims, shouldn't an unveil have involve something more?

This is the kind of thing that Sony was going to use in the PS3. Thing is, they are bloody difficult to program for.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, asus killer said:

too good to be true.

one thing i don't get following their own tweet they say they have unveiled today this new chip. But there isn't a single proof beyond bold claims, shouldn't an unveil have involve something more?

They also released a white paper on the new architecture. But yeah "new chip" implies they're announcing silicon, but they just announced the architecture and not even in much detail.

1 hour ago, DerEntinator said:

Also they say that they will reach the processing capacity of a human brain sized neural network in 2020

bull, shit

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

36 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Wasn't this also the original idea of the APU, They believed that in the futures more of the core processes would be performed on the GPU.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, DerEntinator said:

The company Tachyum claims the developt an "Universal Processor" with the combined benefits of GPU's and CPU's as a CPU replacement that is 10x faster than common CPU's.

Also they say that they will reach the processing capacity of a human braim sized neural network in 2020 by using 256.000 of their Prodigy processors.

"A small processor start-up, Tachyum, claims to have developed a 'universal processor platform' which offers an order-of-magnitude improvement over the performance-per-watt of existing chips - and claims it will be ready to simulate a human brain in real-time on the platform by 2020."

Here is an article about the claims they make:

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/cpus/tachyum-teases-tenfold-performance-boost/1/

And some more for cross-checking:

https://www.scientific-computing.com/news/tachyum-announce-new-processor-platform

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/tachyum-unveils-the-worlds-1st-universal-processor-platform-with-more-than-10x-the-performance-of-conventional-processors-300650493.html

And the presentation they made:

https://www.slideshare.net/insideHPC/introducing-the-tachyum-prodigy-processor

If it looks like snake oil and smells like snake oil then it's probably snake oil.

Prove that it's not Snake Oil Tachyum.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

I do not want to hear pronunciations of that word, because it'd 100% be tech (in technology) -yum (in mmm yum) and I will cringe into a dried prune.

what about "techy-uhm..."? xD

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

x86 needs to die eventually anyways. x64 is useful as an extension but I really believe we need a new architecture going forward. If they can pull these performance gains out of their asses, I dont care if it's running on MIPS (OK maybe not, but you get my point)

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

4 hours ago, DerEntinator said:

and claims it will be ready to simulate a human brain in real-time on the platform by 2020.

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg.414501c3ce21ee3ce5c342589170a8a4.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus