Tachyum teases tenfold performance boost for CPU's

If this doesn't turn out to be vaporware, I'll be surprised.

It's not 86x anyway, so it won't matter to a large majority of us.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Unlikely.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

41 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If this doesn't turn out to be vaporware, I'll be surprised.

It's not 86x anyway, so it won't matter to a large majority of us.

Many ppl said the same thing about arm... :D

This is probably only for neural networks, AI, and heavy parralel computations/algorithms.

There isnt anything with tenfold performance of serial multicore processors of today, in other words all our computers and software and games and everything has to be reprogrammed for those new chips with parralel algorithms from ground up, which is not going to happen.

There are already special processors for AI, machine learning etc with massive improvements vs regular CPU, so i cant see what these people are announcing exactly that they are doing what everyone else is doing ?

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Many ppl said the same thing about arm... :D

I'm not sure they did, a few years after ARM was created Apple helped Acorn to refine and improve the architecture because they saw its potential. In the mid 90s (so around 10 years after release) Intel also did some prototyping of an ARM CPU (they acquired the rights to work done by StrongARM in a court settlement) too.

The appeal of the RISC Architecture was apparent to a lot of tech companies almost right from the get go.

Fun fact: ARMV6 was created almost entirely by Apple

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

interesting, im hopefull but doubtfull. if i had to guess we will never ever hear the name again beyond maybe them being bought up or bankrupt

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Intel also did some prototyping of an ARM CPU (they acquired the rights to work done by StrongARM in a court settlement) too.

Intel had a number of production ARM chips too in the late 90s/early 2000s. They were used for a number of WindowsCE devices, including the Motorola MC9090s that were popular among retailers.

5 hours ago, Swatson said:

x86 needs to die eventually anyways. x64 is useful as an extension but I really believe we need a new architecture going forward. If they can pull these performance gains out of their asses, I dont care if it's running on MIPS (OK maybe not, but you get my point)

Compatibility will always be an issue. If an architecture can achieve equivalent or better emulated x86-64 performance than the actual hardware, a transition would be more readily feasible.

Considering Cortex A73 achieves similar, if not faster performance than Atoms in x86 code, this doesn't seem an unrealistic goal.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

47 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Atoms

Press F for the Atom series :( 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

The appeal of the RISC Architecture was apparent to a lot of tech companies almost right from the get go.

IBM Power :)

6 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm not sure they did, a few years after ARM was created Apple helped Acorn to refine and improve the architecture because they saw its potential. In the mid 90s (so around 10 years after release) Intel also did some prototyping of an ARM CPU (they acquired the rights to work done by StrongARM in a court settlement) too.

Fun fact: ARMV6 was created almost entirely by Apple

Yep. "Vapourware" is very much not what ARM was. Having actual hardware on display, on sale, in products is very different from promising the world on a plate.

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

The one no one could live without, but don't realize exists.

"Is using such a system for playing Netflix in guest room, thanks to the Wii."

My eyes see the past…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

"Is using such a system for playing Netflix in guest room, thanks to the Wii."

Lol not quite what I was referring to but that is a good point.

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Lol not quite what I was referring to but that is a good point.

Well, to be fair, I knew full well that this isn't what you meant. :P

My eyes see the past…

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Press F for the Atom series :( 

I've a couple Bay Trail systems in the house. For most tasks, they're fine, though they really seem to need some clocks to wake up. Even with the spinning platter drive, my Pentium J2900 (2.4 GHz Bay Trail) desktop is surprisingly snappy, though it is on Windows 7.

My other Atom system, the 1.4 GHz one, sometimes has it's hands full with Windows 10. Going into Task View with transparency on causes the system to break frame (fall below native framerate).

My eyes see the past…

8 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Well, to be fair, I knew full well that this isn't what you meant. :P

Lol it's not always the easiest to tell.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

Lol it's not always the easiest to tell.

Though a giant server room filled with Wiis would be quite the amusing thought. 

My eyes see the past…

14 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

ash techum

Ass-Touchyum

22 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Best. Name. Ever. "AND IN THIS CORNER WE HAVE... THE MACHINE!!!!"

Sounds like an Isaac Asimov reference.

- snip-

Startup that did what tech giants like Intel and AMD could not, yeah, my ass.

2 hours ago, Ubleron said:

Startup that did what tech giants like Intel and AMD could not, yeah, my ass.

Well it has happened before, but in most cases it's either vapor or the company is gobbled up by one of the bigger players before they can get very far with their solution.

14 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Though a giant server room filled with Wiis would be quite the amusing thought. 

Hey the U.S. Air Force was using a bunch of PS3s, so I wouldn't say it's unfathomable.

Sounds like something Elon Musk would say.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx