The current state of the desktop PC market is appalling.

minervx
Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Try to avoid turning this into a heated debate.

Motherboards

• Still have PS/2 ports.  This was made by IBM in the 80's and discontinued in the 90's.  Why keep them?
  • Have separate 3.5mm jacks for both the microphone and the headphones.  ($50 smartphones can afford a combined audio jack)
  • Majority of them have no bluetooth or wifi integrated in (even though the lowest end laptop motherboards can afford to have them)

Cases

• Many restrict airflow for aesthetic reasons.
  • Small form factor market is extremely limited

Keyboards

• Almost no wireless mechanical keyboards exist
  • Very few ultra-compact wireless keyboards exist
  • Most of the mid-high end ones are focused on aesthetics and marketing to teenagers rather than quality for the dollar.

Video Cards

• AMD and NVidia assumed cryptocurrency mining would just be a fad and it wouldn't be worth significantly increasing GPU production, and now the video card market is stagnant.

Power Supply

• Are marketing 2-3x as much wattage than most people even need.
  • Extremely limited SFX market even though most desktop machines don't need a big power supply.

Pre-Builts

• Still have optical drives.
  • Most of them are still massive despite not having the thermal footprint to require even half as much space.
  • Many lack SSD's, despite the fact that upgrading them is a hassle, especially for less tech savvy people.

It just amazes me how a budget laptop can do most of these things efficiently, yet desktop computers (even with big companies like Dell with the resources to do so) are still making horribly inefficient desktops.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

PS2 - reliable, people use them, I know I sure did use my PS2 port on my motherboard!

3.5mm headphone/mic is standard on desktops because it is standard for headphones most, not earbuds.

also you can plug in a separate mic and then dedicated speakers like I do 

small form factor is limited because small form factor is low demand compared to ATX

there is very small demand for high end wireless mechanical keyboards, and there are out there if you need them, same goes with compact

there are many out there that are budget and made for $, but the main consumers of gaming keyboards are teenagers.

but it can actually output as much, most people will buy what they need and stuff

most desktops don't need a big PSU and it is standard - ATX, if it works it works

they are massive because standards, and low costs

optical drive is a good thing, why is it a bad thing? 

the SSD thing is the one thing I agree that needs to be fix

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, veli2501 said:

Yet all most of these problems can be avoided by a consumer willing to put in a little extra time researching what they want from their purchase.

It's appalling consumers even need to have to spend the time to do this.  But even beyond that, this is not true.  The consumer has to spend more money to get a desktop that can do the same things as a laptop, and it just doesn't make sense.  It costs less money to include wifi/bluetooth in a motherboard than have consumers buy dongles for them.  It costs double as much money to buy a power supply that isn't oversized.  I really don't think a Ryzen 2200G build needs a power supply that's the size of a toddler's head.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

You make some awful points. PS/2 is a savior when the drivers for USB don't work. A combined jack would be pointless for many headsets and requires an adapter. 

ƆԀ S₱▓Ɇ▓cs: i7 6ʇɥפᴉƎ00K (4.4ghz), Asus DeLuxe X99A II, GT҉X҉1҉0҉8҉0 Zotac Amp ExTrꍟꎭe),Si6F4Gb D???????r PlatinUm, EVGA G2 Sǝʌǝᘉ5ᙣᙍᖇᓎᙎᗅᖶt, Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3TB WD Black, 500gb 850 Evo, H100iGeeTeeX, Windows 10, K70 R̸̢̡̭͍͕̱̭̟̩̀̀̃́̃͒̈́̈́͑̑́̆͘͜ͅG̶̦̬͊́B̸͈̝̖͗̈́, G502, HyperX Cloud 2s, Asus MX34. פN∩SW∀S 960 EVO

Just keeping this here as a backup 9̵̨̢̨̧̧̡̧̡̧̡̧̡̡̢̢̡̢̧̡̢̡̡̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̱̖͈̠̝̯̹͉̝̞̩̠̹̺̰̺̲̳͈̞̻̜̫̹̱̗̣͙̻̘͎̲̝͙͍͔̯̲̟̞͚̖̘͉̭̰̣͎͕̼̼̜̼͕͎̣͇͓͓͎̼̺̯͈̤̝͖̩̭͍̣̱̞̬̺̯̼̤̲͎̖̠̟͍̘̭͔̟̗̙̗̗̤̦͍̫̬͔̦̳̗̳͔̞̼̝͍̝͈̻͇̭̠͈̳͍̫̮̥̭͍͔͈̠̹̼̬̰͈̤͚̖̯͍͉͖̥̹̺͕̲̥̤̺̹̹̪̺̺̭͕͓̟̳̹͍̖͎̣̫͓͍͈͕̳̹̙̰͉͙̝̜̠̥̝̲̮̬͕̰̹̳͕̰̲̣̯̫̮͙̹̮͙̮̝̣͇̺̺͇̺̺͈̳̜̣̙̻̣̜̻̦͚̹̩͓͚̖͍̥̟͍͎̦͙̫̜͔̭̥͈̬̝̺̩͙͙͉̻̰̬̗̣͖̦͎̥̜̬̹͓͈͙̤̜̗͔̩̖̳̫̑̀̂̽̈́̈́̿͒̿̋̊͌̾̄̄̒̌͐̽̿̊͑̑̆͗̈̎̄͒̑̋͛̑͑̂͑̀͐̀͑̓͊̇͆̿͑͛͛͆́͆̓̿̇̀̓͑͆͂̓̾̏͊̀̇̍̃́̒̎̀̒̄̓̒̐̑̊̏̌̽̓͂͋̓̐̓͊̌͋̀̐̇̌̓̔͊̈̇́̏͒̋͊̓̆̋̈̀̌̔͆͑̈̐̈̍̀̉̋̈́͊̽͂̿͌͊̆̾̉͐̿̓̄̾͑̈́͗͗̂̂́̇͂̀̈́́̽̈́̓̓͂̽̓̀̄͌̐̔̄̄͒͌̈́̅̉͊̂͒̀̈́̌͂̽̀̑̏̽̀͑̐̐͋̀̀͋̓̅͋͗̍́͗̈́̆̏̇͊̌̏̔̑̐̈́͑̎͑͆̏̎́̑̍̏̒̌̊͘͘̚̕̚̕̕̚̕̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅ8̵̨̛̛̛̛̮͍͕̥͉̦̥̱̞̜̫̘̤̖̬͍͇͓̜̻̪̤̣̣̹̑͑̏̈́̐̐́̎͒̔͒̌̑̓̆̓͑̉̈́́͋̌͋͐͛͋̃̍̽̊͗͋͊̂̅͊͑́͋͛̉̏̓͌̾̈́̀͛͊̾͑̌̀̀̌̓̏̑́̄̉̌͂́͛̋͊̄͐͊̈́̀̌̆̎̿̓̔̍̎̀̍̚̕̕͘͘͘̕̚͝͝͠͠͠0̶̡̡̡̢̨̨͕̠̠͉̺̻̯̱̘͇̥͎͖̯͕̖̬̭͔̪̪͎̺̠̤̬̬̤̣̭̣͍̥̱̘̳̣̤͚̭̥͚̦͙̱̦͕̼͖͙͕͇̭͓͉͎̹̣̣͕̜͍͖̳̭͕̼̳̖̩͍͔̱̙̠̝̺̰̦̱̿̄̀͐͜͜ͅͅt̶̡̨̡̨̧̢̧̢̨̧̧̧̧̢̡̨̨̢̨̢̧̢̛̛̛̛̛̠͍̞̮͇̪͉̩̗̗͖̫͉͎͓̮̣̘̫͔̘̬̮̙̯̣͕͓̲̣͓͓̣̹̟͈̱͚̘̼̙̖̖̼̙̜̝͙̣̠̪̲̞̖̠̯̖̠̜̱͉̲̺͙̤̻̦̜͎̙̳̺̭̪̱͓̦̹̺͙̫̖̖̰̣͈͍̜̺̘͕̬̥͇̗̖̺̣̲̫̟̣̜̭̟̱̳̳̖͖͇̹̯̜̹͙̻̥̙͉͕̜͎͕̦͕̱͖͉̜̹̱̦͔͎̲̦͔̖̘̫̻̹̮̗̮̜̰͇̰͔̱͙̞̠͍͉͕̳͍̰̠̗̠̯̜̩͓̭̺̦̲̲͖̯̩̲̣̠͉̦̬͓̠̜̲͍̘͇̳̳͔̼̣͚̙͙͚͕̙̘̣̠͍̟̪̝̲͇͚̦̖͕̰̟̪͖̳̲͉͙̰̭̼̩̟̝̣̝̬̳͎̙̱͒̃̈͊̔͒͗̐̄̌͐͆̍͂̃̈́̾͗̅̐͒̓̆͛̂̾͋̍͂̂̄̇̿̈͌̅̈́̃̾̔̇̇̾̀͊͋̋̌̄͌͆͆̎̓̈́̾̊͊̇̌̔̈́̈́̀̐͊̊̍͑̊̈̓͑̀́̅̀̑̈́̽̃̽͛̇́̐̓̀͆̔̈̀̍̏̆̓̆͒̋́̋̍́̂̉͛̓̓̂̋̎́̒̏̈͋̃̽͆̓̀̔͑̈́̓͌͑̅̽́̐̍̉̑̓̈́͌̋̈́͂̊́͆͂̇̈́̔̃͌̅̈́͌͛̑̐̓̔̈́̀͊͛̐̾͐̔̾̈̃̈̄͑̓̋̇̉̉̚̕̚͘̕̚̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠ͅͅͅͅͅi̵̢̧̢̧̡̧̢̢̧̢̢̢̡̡̡̧̧̡̡̧̛̛͈̺̲̫͕̞͓̥̖̭̜̫͉̻̗̭̖͔̮̠͇̩̹̱͈̗̭͈̤̠̮͙͇̲͙̰̳̹̲͙̜̟͚͎͓̦̫͚̻̟̰̣̲̺̦̫͓̖̯̝̬͉̯͓͈̫̭̜̱̞̹̪͔̤̜͙͓̗̗̻̟͎͇̺̘̯̲̝̫͚̰̹̫̗̳̣͙̮̱̲͕̺̠͉̫̖̟͖̦͉̟͈̭̣̹̱̖̗̺̘̦̠̯̲͔̘̱̣͙̩̻̰̠͓͙̰̺̠̖̟̗̖͉̞̣̥̝̤̫̫̜͕̻͉̺͚̣̝̥͇̭͎̖̦̙̲͈̲̠̹̼͎͕̩͓̖̥̘̱̜͙̹̝͔̭̣̮̗̞̩̣̬̯̜̻̯̩̮̩̹̻̯̬̖͂̈͂̒̇͗͑̐̌̎̑̽̑̈̈́͑̽́̊͋̿͊͋̅̐̈́͑̇̿̈́̌͌̊̅͂̎͆̏̓͂̈̿̏̃͑̏̓͆̔̋̎̕͘͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅZ̴̧̢̨̢̧̢̢̡̧̢̢̢̨̨̨̡̨̧̢̧̛̛̬̖͈̮̝̭̖͖̗̹̣̼̼̘̘̫̠̭̞͙͔͙̜̠̗̪̠̼̫̻͓̳̟̲̳̻̙̼͇̺͎̘̹̼͔̺̹̬̯̤̮̟͈̭̻͚̣̲͔͙̥͕̣̻̰͈̼̱̺̤̤͉̙̦̩̗͎̞͓̭̞̗͉̳̭̭̺̹̹̮͕̘̪̞̱̥͈̹̳͇̟̹̱̙͚̯̮̳̤͍̪̞̦̳̦͍̲̥̳͇̪̬̰̠͙͕̖̝̫̩̯̱̘͓͎̪͈̤̜͎̱̹̹̱̲̻͎̖̳͚̭̪̦̗̬͍̯̘̣̩̬͖̝̹̣̗̭͖̜͕̼̼̲̭͕͔̩͓̞̝͓͍̗̙̯͔̯̞̝̳̜̜͉̖̩͇̩̘̪̥̱͓̭͎͖̱̙̩̜͎̙͉̟͎͔̝̥͕͍͓̹̮̦̫͚̠̯͓̱͖͔͓̤͉̠͙̋͐̀͌̈́͆̾͆̑̔͂͒̀̊̀͋͑̂͊̅͐̿́̈́̐̀̏̋̃̄͆͒̈́̿̎́́̈̀̀͌̔͋͊̊̉̿͗͊͑̔͐̇͆͛̂̐͊̉̄̈́̄̐͂͂͒͑͗̓͑̓̾̑͋̒͐͑̾͂̎̋̃̽̂̅̇̿̍̈́́̄̍͂͑̏̐̾̎̆̉̾͂̽̈̆̔́͋͗̓̑̕͘̕͘͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͠͠͝ͅo̶̪͆́̀͂̂́̄̅͂̿͛̈́̿͊͗́͘͝t̴̡̨̧̨̧̡̧̨̡̢̧̢̡̨̛̪͈̣̭̺̱̪̹̺̣̬̖̣̻͈̞̙͇̩̻̫͈̝̭̟͎̻̟̻̝̱͔̝̼͍̞̼̣̘̤̯͓͉̖̠̤͔̜̙͚͓̻͓̬͓̻̜̯̱̖̳̱̗̠̝̥̩͓̗̪̙͓̖̠͎̗͎̱̮̯̮͙̩̫̹̹̖͙̙͖̻͈̙̻͇͔̙̣̱͔̜̣̭̱͈͕̠̹͙̹͇̻̼͎͍̥̘͙̘̤̜͎̟͖̹̦̺̤͍̣̼̻̱̲͎̗̹͉͙̪̞̻̹͚̰̻͈͈͊̈́̽̀̎̃̊́̈́̏̃̍̉̇̑̂̇̏̀͊̑̓͛̽͋̈́͆́̊͊̍͌̈́̓͊̌̿̂̾̐͑̓̀́͒̃̋̓͆̇̀͊̆͗̂͑͐̀͗̅̆͘̕͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅḁ̶̢̡̨̧̡̡̨̨̧̨̡̡̢̧̨̡̡̛̛̛͍̱̳͚͕̩͍̺̪̻̫̙͈̬͙̖͙̬͍̬̟̣̝̲̼̜̼̺͎̥̮̝͙̪̘̙̻͖͇͚͙̣̬̖̲̲̥̯̦̗̰̙̗̪̞̗̩̻̪̤̣̜̳̩̦̻͓̞̙͍͙̫̩̹̥͚̻̦̗̰̲̙̫̬̱̺̞̟̻͓̞͚̦̘̝̤͎̤̜̜̥̗̱͈̣̻̰̮̼̙͚͚̠͚̲̤͔̰̭̙̳͍̭͎̙͚͍̟̺͎̝͓̹̰̟͈͈̖̺͙̩̯͔̙̭̟̞̟̼̮̦̜̳͕̞̼͈̜͍̮͕̜͚̝̦̞̥̜̥̗̠̦͇͖̳͈̜̮̣͚̲̟͙̎̈́́͊̔̑̽̅͐͐͆̀͐́̓̅̈͑͑̍̿̏́͆͌̋̌̃̒̽̀̋̀̃̏̌́͂̿̃̎̐͊̒̀̊̅͒̎͆̿̈́̑̐̒̀̈́̓̾͋͆̇̋͒̎̈̄̓̂͊̆͂̈́̒̎͐̇̍̆̋̅̿̔͒̄̇̂̋̈́͆̎̔̇͊̊̈́̔̏͋́̀͂̈́̊͋͂̍̾̓͛̇̔̚͘̚̕̚͘͘̕̕̕̚͘͘̚̕̚̕͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅç̵̧̢̨̢̢̢̧̧̡̨̡̢̧̧̧̨̡̡̨̨̢̢̢̧̨̢̨̢̛̛͉̗̠͇̹̖̝͕͚͎̟̻͓̳̰̻̺̞̣͚̤͙͍͇̗̼͖͔͕͙͖̺͙̖̹̘̘̺͓̜͍̣̰̗̖̺̗̪̘̯̘͚̲͚̲̬̞̹̹͕̭͔̳̘̝̬͉̗̪͉͕̞̫͔̭̭̜͉͔̬̫͙̖̙͚͔͙͚͍̲̘͚̪̗̞̣̞̲͎͔͖̺͍͎̝͎͍̣͍̩̟͈͕̗͉̪̯͉͎͖͍̖͎̖̯̲̘̦̟̭͍͚͓͈͙̬͖̘̱̝̜̘̹̩̝̥̜͎̬͓̬͙͍͇͚̟̫͇̬̲̥̘̞̘̟̘̝̫͈̙̻͇͎̣̪̪̠̲͓͉͙͚̭̪͇̯̠̯̠͖̞̜͓̲͎͇̼̱̦͍͉͈͕͉̗̟̖̗̱̭͚͎̘͓̬͍̱͍̖̯̜̗̹̰̲̩̪͍̞̜̫̩̠͔̻̫͍͇͕̰̰̘͚͈̠̻̮͊̐̿̏̐̀̇̑̐̈͛͑͑̍̑̔̃̈́̓̈́̇̐͑̐̊̆͂̀̏͛̊̔̍̽͗͋̊̍̓̈́̏̅͌̀̽́̑͒͒̓͗̈́̎͌͂̕̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅS̵̡̡̧̧̨̨̡̢̡̡̡̡̧̧̡̧̢̫̯͔̼̲͉͙̱̮̭̗͖̯̤͙̜͚̰̮̝͚̥̜̞̠̤̺̝͇̻̱͙̩̲̺͍̳̤̺̖̝̳̪̻̗̮̪̖̺̹̭͍͇̗̝̱̻̳̝̖̝͎̙͉̞̱̯̙̜͇̯̻̞̱̭̗͉̰̮̞͍̫̺͙͎̙̞̯̟͓͉̹̲͖͎̼̫̩̱͇̲͓̪͉̺̞̻͎̤̥̭̺̘̻̥͇̤̖̰̘̭̳̫̙̤̻͇̪̦̭̱͎̥̟͖͕̣̤̩̟̲̭̹̦̹̣͖̖͒̈́̈́̓͗̈̄͂̈́̅̐̐̿̎̂͗̎̿̕͘͜͜͜͜͝͝ͅͅt̸̡̡̧̧̨̡̢̛̥̥̭͍̗͈̩͕͔͔̞̟͍̭͇̙̺̤͚͎͈͎͕̱͈̦͍͔͓̬͚̗̰̦͓̭̰̭̎̀̂̈́̓̒̈́̈́̂̄̋́̇̂͐͒̋̋̉͐̉̏̇͋̓̈́͐̾͋̒͒͐̊̊̀̄͆̄͆̑͆̇̊̓̚̚̕̚̕͜͠͝͝ͅͅơ̵̡̨̡̡̡̨̛̺͕̼͔̼̪̳͖͓̠̘̘̳̼͚͙͙͚̰͚͚͖̥̦̥̘̖̜̰͔̠͕̦͎̞̮͚͕͍̤̠̦͍̥̝̰̖̳̫̮̪͇̤̱̜͙͔̯͙̙̼͇̹̥̜͈̲̺̝̻̮̬̼̫̞̗̣̪̱͓̺̜̠͇͚͓̳̹̥̳̠͍̫͈̟͈̘̯̬̞͔̝͍͍̥̒̐͗͒͂͆̑̀̿̏́̀͑͗̐́̀̾̓́̌̇̒̈́̌̓͐̃̈́̒̂̀̾͂̊̀̂͐̃̄̓̔̽̒̈́̇̓͌̇̂̆̒̏̊̋͊͛͌̊̇̒̅͌̄̎̔̈́͊́̽̋̈̇̈́́͊̅͂̎̃͌͊͛͂̄̽̈́̿͐̉̽̿́́̉͆̈́̒́̂̾̄̇̌̒̈̅̍̿̐͑̓͊̈́̈̋̈́̉̍̋̊̈̀̈́̾̿̌̀̈́͌̑̍́̋̒̀̂̈́́̾̏̐̅̈̑͗͐̈͂̄̾̄̈́̍̉͑͛͗͋̈́̃̄̊́́͐̀̀̽̇̓̄̓̃͋͋̂̽̔̀̎͌̈́̈́̑̓̔̀̓͐͛͆̿̋͑͛̈́͂̅̋̅͆͗̇́̀̒́̏͒̐̍͂̓͐͐̇̂̉̑̊͑̉̋̍͊̄̀͂̎͒̔͊̃̏̕̚̕̕͘͘͘̚͘̚͘̕͘̚͘̚̚̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅc̴̨̡̢̢̢̡̡̢̛̛̛̻͇̝̣͉͚͎͕̻̦͖̤̖͇̪̩̤̻̭̮̙̰̖̰̳̪̱̹̳̬͖̣͙̼̙̰̻̘͇͚̺̗̩̫̞̳̼̤͔͍͉̟͕̯̺͈̤̰̹̍̋́͆̾̆̊͆͋̀͑͒̄̿̄̀̂͋̊͆́͑̑̽͊̓́̔̽̌͊̄͑͒͐̑͗̿̃̀̓̅́̿͗̈́͌̋̀̏̂͌̓́̇̀͒͋̌̌̅͋͌̆͐̀̔̒͐̊̇̿̽̀̈́̃̒̋̀̈́̃̏̂̊͗̑̊̈̇̀̌͐̈́̉̂̏͊̄͐̈̽͒̏̒̓́̌̓̅́̓̃͐͊͒̄͑̒͌̍̈́̕͘̚͘̕͘̚̕͜͝͠͝͝͝ͅǩ̴̢̢̢̧̨̢̢̢̨̨̨̢̢̢̨̧̨̡̡̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̜̥̩̙͕̮̪̻͈̘̯̼̰̜͚̰͖̬̳͖̣̭̼͔̲͉̭̺͚̺̟͉̝̱̲͎͉̙̥̤͚͙̬̪̜̺͙͍̱̞̭̬̩̖̤̹̤̺̦͈̰̗̰͍͇̱̤̬̬͙̙̲̙̜͖͓̙̟̙̯̪͍̺̥͔͕̝̳̹̻͇̠̣͈̰̦͓͕̩͇͈͇̖͙͍̰̲̤̞͎̟̝̝͈͖͔͖̦̮̗̬̞̞̜̬̠̹̣̣̲̮̞̤̜̤̲̙͔͕̯͔͍̤͕̣͔͙̪̫̝̣̰̬̬̭̞͔̦̟̥̣̻͉͈̮̥̦̮̦͕̤͇̺͆͆̈͗̄̀̌̔̈́̈̉̾̊̐̆̂͛̀̋́̏̀̿͒̓̈́̈́͂̽̾͗͊̋̐̓̓̀̃̊̊͑̓̈̎̇͑̆̂̉̾̾̑͊̉̃́̑͌̀̌̐̅̃̿̆̎̈́̀̒́͛̓̀̊́̋͛͒͊̆̀̃̊͋̋̾̇̒̋͂̏͗͆̂̔́̐̀́͗̅̈̋̂̎̒͊̌̉̈̈́͌̈́̔̾̊̎́͐͒̋̽̽́̾̿̚̕͘͘̚̕̕̕̚̚̕̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅB̸̢̧̨̡̢̧̨̡̡̨̡̨̡̡̡̢̨̢̨̛̛̛̛̛̛͉̞͚̰̭̲͈͎͕͈̦͍͈̮̪̤̻̻͉̫̱͔̞̫̦̰͈̗̯̜̩̪̲̻̖̳͖̦͎͔̮̺̬̬̼̦̠̪̤͙͍͓̜̥̙̖̫̻̜͍̻̙̖̜̹͔̗̪̜̖̼̞̣̠̫͉̯̮̤͈͎̝̪͎͇͙̦̥͙̳̫̰̪̣̱̘̤̭̱͍̦͔̖͎̺̝̰̦̱̣͙̙̤͚̲͔̘̱̜̻͔̥̻͖̭͔̜͉̺͕͙͖̜͉͕̤͚̠̩̮̟͚̗͈͙̟̞̮̬̺̻̞͔̥͉͍̦̤͓̦̻̦̯̟̰̭̝̘̩̖̝͔̳͉̗̖̱̩̩̟͙͙͛̀͐̈́̂̇͛̅̒̉̏̈́̿͐́̏̃̏̓̌̽͐̈́͛̍͗͆͛̋̔̉͂̔̂̓̌͌͋̂͆̉͑̊̎́̈́̈̂͆͑́̃̍̇̿̅̾́́̿̅̾̆̅̈́̈̓͒͌͛̃͆̋͂̏̓̅̀͂̽̂̈̈́̎̾̐͋͑̅̍̈́̑̅̄͆̓̾̈́͐̎̊͐̌̌̓͊̊̔̈́̃͗̓͊͐̌͆̓͗̓̓̾̂̽͊͗́́́̽͊͆͋͊̀̑̿̔͒̏̈́́̏͆̈́͋̒͗͂̄̇̒͐̃͑̅̍͒̎̈́̌̋́̓͂̀̇͛̋͊͆̈́̋́̍̃͒̆̕̚̚̕̕̕͘̕̚̚͘̕͜͜͜͜͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅI̵̡̢̧̨̡̢̨̡̡̢̡̧̡̢̢̢̡̢̛̛͕͎͕̩̠̹̩̺̣̳̱͈̻̮̺̟̘̩̻̫͖̟͓̩̜̙͓͇̙̱̭̰̻̫̥̗̠͍͍͚̞̘̫͉̬̫̖̖̦͖͉̖̩̩̖̤̺̥̻̝͈͎̻͓̟̹͍̲͚͙̹̟̟̯͚̳̟͕̮̻̟͈͇̩̝̼̭̯͚͕̬͇̲̲̯̰̖̙̣̝͇̠̞̙͖͎̮̬̳̥̣̺̰͔̳̳̝̩̤̦̳̞̰̩̫̟͚̱̪̘͕̫̼͉̹̹̟̮̱̤̜͚̝̠̤̖̮̯̳͖̗̹̞̜̹̭̿̏͋̒͆̔̄̃̾̓͛̾̌́̅̂͆̔͌͆͋̔̾́̈̇̐̄̑̓̂̾́̄̿̓̅̆͌̉̎̏̄͛̉͆̓̎͒͘̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͠ͅͅƠ̷̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̟̰͔͔͇̲̰̮̘̭̭̖̥̟̘̠̬̺̪͇̲͋͂̅̈́̍͂̽͗̾͒̇̇̒͐̍̽͊́̑̇̑̾̉̓̈̾͒̍̌̅̒̾̈́̆͌̌̾̎̽̐̅̏́̈̔͛̀̋̃͊̒̓͗͒̑͒̃͂̌̄̇̑̇͛̆̾͛̒̇̍̒̓̀̈́̄̐͂̍͊͗̎̔͌͛̂̏̉̊̎͗͊͒̂̈̽̊́̔̊̃͑̈́̑̌̋̓̅̔́́͒̄̈́̈̂͐̈̅̈̓͌̓͊́̆͌̉͐̊̉͛̓̏̓̅̈́͂̉̒̇̉̆̀̍̄̇͆͛̏̉̑̃̓͂́͋̃̆̒͋̓͊̄́̓̕̕̕̚͘͘͘̚̕̚͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠ͅS̷̢̨̧̢̡̨̢̨̢̨̧̧̨̧͚̱̪͇̱̮̪̮̦̝͖̜͙̘̪̘̟̱͇͎̻̪͚̩͍̠̹̮͚̦̝̤͖̙͔͚̙̺̩̥̻͈̺̦͕͈̹̳̖͓̜͚̜̭͉͇͖̟͔͕̹̯̬͍̱̫̮͓̙͇̗̙̼͚̪͇̦̗̜̼̠͈̩̠͉͉̘̱̯̪̟͕̘͖̝͇̼͕̳̻̜͖̜͇̣̠̹̬̗̝͓̖͚̺̫͛̉̅̐̕͘͜͜͜͜ͅͅͅ.̶̨̢̢̨̢̨̢̛̻͙̜̼̮̝̙̣̘̗̪̜̬̳̫̙̮̣̹̥̲̥͇͈̮̟͉̰̮̪̲̗̳̰̫̙͍̦̘̠̗̥̮̹̤̼̼̩͕͉͕͇͙̯̫̩̦̟̦̹͈͔̱̝͈̤͓̻̟̮̱͖̟̹̝͉̰͊̓̏̇͂̅̀̌͑̿͆̿̿͗̽̌̈́̉̂̀̒̊̿͆̃̄͑͆̃̇͒̀͐̍̅̃̍̈́̃̕͘͜͜͝͠͠z̴̢̢̡̧̢̢̧̢̨̡̨̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̲͚̠̜̮̠̜̞̤̺͈̘͍̻̫͖̣̥̗̙̳͓͙̫̫͖͍͇̬̲̳̭̘̮̤̬̖̼͎̬̯̼̮͔̭̠͎͓̼̖̟͈͓̦̩̦̳̙̮̗̮̩͙͓̮̰̜͎̺̞̝̪͎̯̜͈͇̪̙͎̩͖̭̟͎̲̩͔͓͈͌́̿͐̍̓͗͑̒̈́̎͂̋͂̀͂̑͂͊͆̍͛̄̃͌͗̌́̈̊́́̅͗̉͛͌͋̂̋̇̅̔̇͊͑͆̐̇͊͋̄̈́͆̍̋̏͑̓̈́̏̀͒̂̔̄̅̇̌̀̈́̿̽̋͐̾̆͆͆̈̌̿̈́̎͌̊̓̒͐̾̇̈́̍͛̅͌̽́̏͆̉́̉̓̅́͂͛̄̆͌̈́̇͐̒̿̾͌͊͗̀͑̃̊̓̈̈́̊͒̒̏̿́͑̄̑͋̀̽̀̔̀̎̄͑̌̔́̉̐͛̓̐̅́̒̎̈͆̀̍̾̀͂̄̈́̈́̈́̑̏̈́̐̽̐́̏̂̐̔̓̉̈́͂̕̚̕͘͘̚͘̚̕̚̚̚͘̕̕̕͜͜͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅī̸̧̧̧̡̨̨̢̨̛̛̘͓̼̰̰̮̗̰͚̙̥̣͍̦̺͈̣̻͇̱͔̰͈͓͖͈̻̲̫̪̲͈̜̲̬̖̻̰̦̰͙̤̘̝̦̟͈̭̱̮̠͍̖̲͉̫͔͖͔͈̻̖̝͎̖͕͔̣͈̤̗̱̀̅̃̈́͌̿̏͋̊̇̂̀̀̒̉̄̈́͋͌̽́̈́̓̑̈̀̍͗͜͜͠͠ͅp̴̢̢̧̨̡̡̨̢̨̢̢̢̨̡̛̛͕̩͕̟̫̝͈̖̟̣̲̖̭̙͇̟̗͖͎̹͇̘̰̗̝̹̤̺͉͎̙̝̟͙͚̦͚͖̜̫̰͖̼̤̥̤̹̖͉͚̺̥̮̮̫͖͍̼̰̭̤̲͔̩̯̣͖̻͇̞̳̬͉̣̖̥̣͓̤͔̪̙͎̰̬͚̣̭̞̬͎̼͉͓̮͙͕̗̦̞̥̮̘̻͎̭̼͚͎͈͇̥̗͖̫̮̤̦͙̭͎̝͖̣̰̱̩͎̩͎̘͇̟̠̱̬͈̗͍̦̘̱̰̤̱̘̫̫̮̥͕͉̥̜̯͖̖͍̮̼̲͓̤̮͈̤͓̭̝̟̲̲̳̟̠͉̙̻͕͙̞͔̖͈̱̞͓͔̬̮͎̙̭͎̩̟̖͚̆͐̅͆̿͐̄̓̀̇̂̊̃̂̄̊̀͐̍̌̅͌̆͊̆̓́̄́̃̆͗͊́̓̀͑͐̐̇͐̍́̓̈́̓̑̈̈́̽͂́̑͒͐͋̊͊̇̇̆̑̃̈́̎͛̎̓͊͛̐̾́̀͌̐̈́͛̃̂̈̿̽̇̋̍͒̍͗̈͘̚̚͘̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͠͝͝ͅͅͅ☻♥■∞{╚mYÄÜXτ╕○\╚Θº£¥ΘBM@Q05♠{{↨↨▬§¶‼↕◄►☼1♦  wumbo╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ

1. SFF market is still niche and will remain as such for the foreseeable future.
  2. Wireless keyboards still have added latency compared to wired, which makes them inferior for serious gaming.
  3. Cryptocurrency mining is down for now, but the next fad may come sooner or later.
  4. Fully agree on PSUs, although the added headroom can be nice for overclocking and aging of PSU components.
  5. Don't get me started on prebuilts.

However the biggest issue is RAM prices remaining at insane levels because of price fixing.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

ps/2 would've saved me alot of time and money if i had a keyboard that worked with it laying around, now that i do its so easy for when something isn't working

both jacks are good for seperate stuff. 

besides that i mainly agree

MF UH BEANS

14 minutes ago, minervx said:

Still have PS/2 ports.

PS/2 requires no drivers, isn't subject to iffy controllers, and doesn't see as much lag as USB can.

Majority of them have no bluetooth or wifi integrated in

A huge aspect to desktops is that they support wired connectivity better. Forcing people to pay more for something that performs worse just because some people use it, across the board, is stupid.

Options for both exist at any rate, and have since at least Haswell.

Almost no wireless mechanical keyboards exist

Market isn't there to support it.

Are marketing 2-3x as much wattage than most people even need.

That's a failure on the consumer's part. Systems like mine can draw a good bit of power, and some people care about hitting roughly 50%, as that's the peak efficiency point on most PSUs.

Extremely limited SFX market even though most desktop machines don't need a big power supply.

Again, market isn't there.

Still have optical drives.

That's the opposite of a problem. They're still quite useful for those not as tech literate, and for those that are quite tech literate that see benefit in optical media.

And the rest just sounds like the typical "enthusiast" complaining that most people just don't give a shit about.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, minervx said:

Still have PS/2 ports.  This was made by IBM in the 80's and discontinued in the 90's.  Why keep them?

Better to keep them, than to just discontinue them. It doesn't hurt to keep them, and some professional typists still swear by them for the key-rollover

Majority of them have no bluetooth or wifi integrated in (even though the lowest end laptop motherboards can afford to have them)

You can't plug a cheap desktop wifi card into a laptop (usually.) Also, more and more motherboard are getting these features.

Many restrict airflow for aesthetic reasons.

This is entirely the consumer's choice. Get a case with good airflow if you want it.

Small form factor market is extremely limited

True, but it is getting better.

Almost no wireless mechanical keyboards exist

Unless you're doing a HTPC build, there aren't many huge pluses to having a wireless keyboard.

Most of the mid-high end ones are focused on aesthetics and marketing to teenagers rather than quality for the dollar.

Again, consumer choice.

AMD and NVidia assumed cryptocurrency mining would just be a fad and it wouldn't be worth significantly increasing GPU production, and now the video card market is stagnant.

Prices have gotten way better, and are now mostly back at MSRP. Stop whining.

Are marketing 2-3x as much wattage than most people even need.

There are many useful and accurate online power usage calculators that take minutes to use. If somebody chooses a power supply that's two big, it's their fault. 

Extremely limited SFX market even though most desktop machines don't need a big power supply.

Most cases don't have support for SFX power supplies, making them useless.

Still have optical drives.

Still useful. Better to have it, than not have it.

Many lack SSD's, despite the fact that upgrading them is a hassle, especially for less tech savvy people.

The consumer can easily research the SSD or HDD capacity of their chosen machine. 

It just amazes me how a budget laptop can do most of these things efficiently, yet desktop computers (even with big companies like Dell with the resources to do so) are still making horribly inefficient desktops.

Laptops are good, but they have big downsides. Being less powerful and usually having inadequate cooling are just two big ones, and they're many more.

TL;DR: You're making up problems that don't exist, or that can be solved with a five minute google search. Think of how far the PC industry has come, and don't give me this "The current state of the desktop PC market is appalling" bullshit. It's better than it's ever been. It's easier than it's ever been. It's faster and more active than it's ever been. It's cheaper than it's ever been. I could go on, but I'll spare you the time. PC gaming has never been easier to get into. So stop complaining, please.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Hi!

• PS/2 is there just in case you have a PS/2 keyboard or mouse, most manufacturers only include a single combined port instead of the two classic pink and green ports, it might be useful to install certain legacy OSes

• About the jack... they could do it, but, again, some headsets including professional ones come with 2 audio jacks, one for the headphones and a different one for the mic, or maybe you want to use a standalone mic, a lot of people still need both connectors

• Server, Workstation or Professional boards users don't need bluetooth or wireless, personally I wouldn't buy a board with those since I prefer and use a wired connection.

**Cases... I agree, most modern cases look like fridges with a side window and have awful airflow, case manufacturers are aiming for "gamers" because they give them money. SFF are rare, good quality SFF PSUs are even more rare. Building my own NAS made me realize this about SFF stuff.

• Some builds NEED high wattage PSUs, ie if you do SLI or have a FX CPU...

• I don't like input lag and buying 8 batteries/mo so I stay away from wireless peripherals

• I have 3 ODDs since I burn a lot of DVDs xD

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, themctipers said:

PS2 - reliable, people use them, I know I sure did use my PS2 port on my motherboard!

But it's an outdated port.  Why not have a Firewire and USB1 port?  It makes no sense to have ports that can only do specific things when manufacturers can include more ports that work for just about anything (like USB 3).  It doesn't make sense to have separate ports for separate tasks when all ports are designed to do is transfer energy and information. 

3.5mm headphone/mic is standard on desktops because it is standard for headphones most, not earbuds.

It's standard for headsets, but this is likely because headset manufacturers know most desktops use this arbitrary setup.  Then again, do laptops require two 3.5mm ports to have a headset?  Why not?  Headphones and earbuds use the same port, so there's no sense to make a distinction. 

also you can plug in a separate mic and then dedicated speakers like I do 

That's the problem with desktop PC's.  You need to plug in all of these separate things just to do what a $100 laptop that's given to Ethiopian children can do.  I currently use an XLR into an audio interface setup, but this is not convenient for most people.

small form factor is limited because small form factor is low demand compared to ATX

Of course the demand is low when it's much more expensive.  It's a vicious cycle.

there is very small demand for high end wireless mechanical keyboards

Why not just have it optionally wired.  Wired to charge and can run wired, but can also run wireless.  Seeing as these keyboards are in the $100+ range, there is no excuse for them NOT to include a feature like this.

they are massive because standards

Standards are completely arbitrary and changeable.  

optical drive is a good thing, why is it a bad thing? 

Most consumers don't use it or need it.  I'm not against them, but I don't see why most pre-builts need them.  Why doesn't software bundled in with prebuilts come in USB thumb drives, since that's what most people actually use nowadays.  It doesn't make sense that the prebuilt market is trying to market to grandpa.

It's bad because of the opportunity cost.  With many prebuilts, if the packaging/designs were less gaudy, the optical drive were cut, maybe they could fit a low capacity SSD in there without raising the price much at all.

4 minutes ago, minervx said:

It's appalling consumers even need to have to spend the time to do this. 

I don't know about you but I research any purchase that I am spending more than a few hundred dollars on weather it's tech or something as simple as cook ware.

6 minutes ago, minervx said:

But even beyond that, this is not true.  The consumer has to spend more money to get a desktop that can do the same things as a laptop

Spec wise, this is Incorrect.

7 minutes ago, minervx said:

It costs less money to include wifi/bluetooth in a motherboard than have consumers buy dongles for them.

Many motherboards to include these features.  The last wifi adapter I purchased cost me AUD $11 that's USD $8.30

10 minutes ago, minervx said:

I really don't think a Ryzen 2200G build needs a power supply that's the size of a toddler's head.

You don't have to buy one the size of a toddler's head.  There are small form factor options, but as mentioned above as there is fare less demand they are more expensive.  This is economics based and not confined to this industry.

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

But it's an outdated port.  Why not have a Firewire and USB1 port?

Legacy support is always a good idea. The USB port argument is just trash. USB has backwards compatibility all the way up to USB 3, so far. Firewire was invented by Apple, so that's not even the PC market's problem. They decided to discontinue it, because it's what Apple does.

Edited by bellabichon
I needed to call you out for some more dumb shit

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

12 minutes ago, Phentos said:
  1. Wireless keyboards still have added latency compared to wired, which makes them inferior for serious gaming.

I'm calling nonsense on this one.  I've gamed both wireless and wired.  I've tried both for music production.  I didn't notice any difference.  I'd like to see empirical evidence on this though.  Maybe if you're a pro level gamer like an Overwatch grandmaster (top 1%) and are already using a high refresh rate monitor with low response times and have perfect internet, it won't be an issue.

I know with mice, in the early 2000's wireless ones used to vary greatly in quality, and buying a gaming-end one with a great sensor and a wire was necessary.  However, as quality control improved, people still used the same rhetoric about needing a specific kind of optical lens when just about all mice you'll find with positive reviews on Amazon will game just fine.  

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

Firewire was invented by apple, so that's not even the PC market's problem.

That's not really a good argument since Apple also worked on thunderbolt.It's just that Firewire much like e-sata was not commonly adapted,whereas PS2 was used bu literally everyone.PS2 is also added because there the only ones that are guranteed to be dected by the BIOS,so it's nice to have when your USB ones aren't working

My life

3 minutes ago, minervx said:

But it's an outdated port.

Irrelevant. It still has advantages over USB.

3 minutes ago, minervx said:

Why not have a Firewire and USB1 port?

Firewire was a failure, and easily adapted.

USB is backwards compatible.

do laptops require two 3.5mm ports to have a headset?

Outside of gaming laptops and ultra thins, usually yes.

Budget machines, hell yes.

That's the problem with desktop PC's.  You need to plug in all of these separate things just to do what a $100 laptop that's given to Ethiopian children can do.

Except that desktops support 5.1/7.1/7.2 though 3.5mm TRS jacks. That's not exactly possible if one is only given a TRRS jack, and an adapter to go TRRS to 2 TRS is pretty damn cheap.

6 minutes ago, minervx said:

Seeing as these keyboards are in the $100+ range, there is no excuse for them NOT to include a feature like this.

Yes there is: wireless products experience more interference, more lag, and lower bandwidth than wired counterparts. I'd rather have it made from 6061-T6 or 7075-T6 than have it tack on a feature that the market segment doesn't care about.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, veli2501 said:

I don't know about you but I research any purchase that I am spending more than a few hundred dollars on weather it's tech or something as simple as cook ware.

Do as much research as you'd like: you still won't find a desktop PC that's both affordable and not ridiculously oversized.

If half of laptops and tablets didn't come with speakers or wifi, nobody would even take the "just do your own research" argument seriously at all.

The last wifi adapter I purchased cost me AUD $11 that's USD $8.30

Yes, but what about the bluetooth adapter?  And also, adapters are at the mercy of the USB connection which is not always stable.

Yes, one specific part may have only costed you $10 extra, but considering the various aspects of the desktop PC that need to be taken into account, the cheapest laptops give the user everything without them even needing to waste time supplementing its weaknesses.

You don't have to buy one the size of a toddler's head.  There are small form factor options, but as mentioned above as there is fare less demand they are more expensive.  This is economics based and not confined to this industry.

All of this support my argument that the current desktop market is appalling.  It can change, but it requires companies to be innovative and good at marketing, which they are not.  Apple, for example, has revolutionized several industries by taking initiative and risk; industries, which, prior, people didn't even know they would support.  Changes are coming to the desktop market, but far too slowly because many are unfortunately complacent and old-fashioned.  

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Irrelevant. It still has advantages over USB.

What advantages?

Firewire was a failure, and easily adapted.

Just like PS/2 ports.  IBM hasn't supported PS2 ports in many years.  This has to be the largest troll in the PC industry.

Yes there is: wireless products experience more interference, more lag, and lower bandwidth than wired counterparts. 

Wired keyboards have better specs on paper perhaps, but does it truly make a real world difference?  If not, then who cares?

45 minutes ago, minervx said:

Motherboards

• Still have PS/2 ports.  This was made by IBM in the 80's and discontinued in the 90's.  Why keep them?
  • Have separate 3.5mm jacks for both the microphone and the headphones.  ($50 smartphones can afford a combined audio jack)
  • Majority of them have no bluetooth or wifi integrated in (even though the lowest end laptop motherboards can afford to have them)

Cases

• Many restrict airflow for aesthetic reasons.
  • Small form factor market is extremely limited

Keyboards

• Almost no wireless mechanical keyboards exist
  • Very few ultra-compact wireless keyboards exist
  • Most of the mid-high end ones are focused on aesthetics and marketing to teenagers rather than quality for the dollar.

Video Cards

• AMD and NVidia assumed cryptocurrency mining would just be a fad and it wouldn't be worth significantly increasing GPU production, and now the video card market is stagnant.

Power Supply

• Are marketing 2-3x as much wattage than most people even need.
  • Extremely limited SFX market even though most desktop machines don't need a big power supply.

Pre-Builts

• Still have optical drives.
  • Most of them are still massive despite not having the thermal footprint to require even half as much space.
  • Many lack SSD's, despite the fact that upgrading them is a hassle, especially for less tech savvy people.

Optical drives are useful.

PS/2 ports are useful.

Laptops are highly restrictive.

Keyboards of mega quality can be found, be prepared to pay more than your years total in wages.

Combined jacks? can you even lift your rig for more than a minute dude?

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

11 minutes ago, minervx said:

I'm calling nonsense on this one.  I've gamed both wireless and wired.  I've tried both for music production.  I didn't notice any difference.  I'd like to see empirical evidence on this though.  Maybe if you're a pro level gamer like an Overwatch grandmaster (top 1%) and are already using a high refresh rate monitor with low response times and have perfect internet, it won't be an issue.

I know with mice, in the early 2000's wireless ones used to vary greatly in quality, and buying a gaming-end one with a great sensor and a wire was necessary.  However, as quality control improved, people still used the same rhetoric about needing a specific kind of optical lens when just about all mice you'll find with positive reviews on Amazon will game just fine.  

try playing DOTA or LoL with a wireless kbd, someone on your team starts a fight and you die because you can't press more than 3 keys at the same time to land skill shots lol

a friend is still in 1k mmr and bronze league because he has a wireless keyboard & mouse and don't want to use wired because "it'd look old"

he'll die in that tier.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

14 minutes ago, M300843499 said:

Optical drives are useful.

PS/2 ports are useful.

Any port is useful.  That's not a reason to justify them.  There's always an opportunity cost.  Would they be as useful as a USB-C port?  Or another USB port?

Laptops are highly restrictive.

I'm not saying PC's should become laptops or copy everything they do, but I mentioned a few aspects of laptops which are good, and there's no reason desktop PC's can't implement them.  How would having integrated bluetooth, wifi and speakers be restrictive?  If anything they would save many people money.

Keyboards of mega quality can be found, be prepared to pay more than your years total in wages.

That's the issue with the desktop industry.  They can do anything, but have a ton of asterisks, caveats and other nonsense.

a friend is still in 1k mmr and bronze league because he has a wireless keyboard & mouse and don't want to use wired because "it'd look old"

he'll die in that tier.

A bad one maybe.  But there are a ton of good wireless ones out there.  It's a complete fallacy to say wireless keyboards are inherently worse when there are plenty that are not.

Moreover, I highly doubt that's the reason he's stuck in Bronze (unless the keyboard is doing that constantly).  I more suspect he's mostly dying due to poor positioning and bad ability economy, but blaming the handful of instances his keyboard killed him.  The idea that "gaming gear" will make you play better is pure consumerism.

1 minute ago, minervx said:

Any port is useful.  That's not a reason to justify them.  There's always an opportunity cost.  Would they be as useful as a USB-C port?  Or another USB port?

I'm not saying PC's should become laptops or copy everything they do, but I mentioned a few aspects of laptops which are good, and there's no reason desktop PC's can't implement them.  How would having integrated bluetooth, wifi and speakers be restrictive?  If anything they would save many people money.

That's the issue with the desktop industry.  They can do anything, but have a ton of asterisks, caveats and other nonsense.

Or buy a laptop that overprices it's gear?

How is Wifi & Bluetooth even an argument? just plug in a WiFi adapter, better yet get a PCI one for like 10 quid.

Speakers? Some of us want proper audio that a laptop cannot give. For example, attempt to get sound power / quality from a laptop that a pair of Creative T20's can with a dedicated VIBE Optisound 6 can deliver, it's rib shaking and crystal clear, we are talikng proper sound here, sound that would deliver enough bass and sound for a full on party. Sure you can plug in a 3.5 to RCA jack and feed some speakers, but you cannot put a sound card in your laptop and have upwards of 15 different inputs to feed each indivdual equipment you hook up to it.

Some of us prefer larger displays, why waste money on a laptop all to output to an external display anyway?

Laptops that can deliver desktop performance are MASSIVE and are hard to lug around.

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

That's the problem.  I can list 20 problems with the PC industry and people will say "just do this" or "just buy this for $10".  But first of all, these shouldn't be problems in the first place.  Second, all the time and money it takes to fix all of these things is not cheap or simple by any means.

It's 2018.  Why should anyone HAVE TO buy a wifi adapter?  I agree dedicated wifi adapters are often better, but any wifi connection is better than none.

Just now, minervx said:

That's the problem.  I can list 20 problems with the PC industry and people will say "just do this" or "just buy this for $10".  But first of all, these shouldn't be problems in the first place.  Second, all the time and money it takes to fix all of these things is not cheap or simple by any means.

It's 2018.  Why should anyone HAVE TO buy a wifi adapter?  I agree dedicated wifi adapters are better, but any wifi connection is better than none.

You are still paying for it with the laptop, and overpay you shall, argument? there is no argument, just subjective rambling.