Boston Dynamics robots are learning how to run outside and navigate autonomously with some significant improvements

ItsMitch

S: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/5/10/17341400/boston-dynamics-atlas-spotmini-robots-videos-autonomous-navigation

Boston Dynamics are currently working towards fully autonomous robots and AI and they have been making some great strides so far, posting two videos on it's YT channel with it's Atlas and SpotMini robots and along with their new progress.

Boston Dynamics’ robots look more natural and more amazing with each video, and today the company posted two more clips to its YouTube channel showing the latest progress of its Atlas and SpotMini robots.

The clips don’t reveal much we haven’t seen before, but they both show how naturally these robots are able to move around. In one video, Atlas, the humanoid robot, goes for a jog in a grassy yard that appears to be sloped here and there.

In the other video, the dog-like SpotMini robot runs around an office on its own and shows off its ability to climb up and down stairs without issue. Boston Dynamics says that an operator initially had to steer the robot through the course it

took so that it could map the area. But for this video, it’s using that knowledge to operate autonomously, using cameras to avoid obstacles.

Perhaps the most notable thing about the video to me is this: seeing the strange four-legged robot walking around is apparently now so mundane, that Boston Dynamics just speeds it up so we can get to everything else.

Atlas:

SpotMini:

I am horrified to be honest, Robots getting better every week with Boston Dynamics, they got some real brain power behind this. Since that the robots are using proper navigation I wonder what other uses they could be used with. Maybe Military aid or disaster relief could be good. But I welcome our AI overlords to the planet and I hope they don't go rampant and murder us all

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

SpotMini is going to walk run into your room while you're sleeping :ph34r:

FTFY

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Is he going to threaten me with a good time?

I'm sure Boston Dynamics can work something out..... 

please port firmware to my roomba

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Is it just me or has robots and ai progress has increased exponentially in the past year or so.

YES. I loved the spot mini video so much. I really like how the robots have gotten so good that they have started to cover up and make the robots look natural and sleek instead of a pile of metal and wires.:x

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

13 minutes ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

YES. I loved the spot mini video so much. I really like how the robots have gotten so good that they have started to cover up and make the robots look natural and sleek instead of a pile of metal and wires.:x

The atleast runs exactly like id expect some super buff midget to run.

22 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

The atleast runs exactly like id expect some super buff midget to run.

Or some guy whos constantly squatting while he walks. Spot mini just looks like some awkward dog that doesn't know how to walk right 

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

I think I came up with something revolutionary:

1) I get this robot. I call him "Jaime" which is basically Spanish for James

2) I give him a cellphone

3) I use my cellphone to tell Google's new assistance to get me some street tacos from a local vendor that doesn't delivers.

This robot is then smart enough to not only navigate the streets autonomously but also is holding a cellphone that can do that eerie real human call Google did on the keynote so he can basically go get me the good tacos that are not on Uber eats.

THE.FUTURE.IS.NOW.

-------

Current Rig

-------

*insert Horizon Zero Dawn theme here*

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Eventually they'll move better in every complex and unpredictable changing terrain and even faster than humans. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 Years later: Boston Dynamic's multi-million dollar research robot has decided to run away *cue images of researchers chasing SpotMini across a field*

7 hours ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

Or some guy whos constantly squatting while he walks. Spot mini just looks like some awkward dog that doesn't know how to walk right 

Not to mention SpotMini imitating a dog walking backwards down the stairs. Hopefully a flexible spine will solve the must-keep-walking-on-the-spot issue of SpotMini.

SpotMini reminds me a little bit too much of the robot dogs from the black mirror episode "metal head". 

I'm liking how this happening & developing in our time.

Details separate people.

They kill us all then get bored and become park rangers.