Sony updates warranty terms in USA & Canada, customers can now open consoles without losing any warranty

Master Disaster

Yep, the first of the 3 console manufacturers to abide by FTC rulings, Sony has updated it's warranty terms.

Sony has updated its warranty terms for PlayStation systems sold in the US and Canada, and it seems that PlayStation 4 owners are now allowed to open up their console while still retaining warranty.

As covered last week, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) gave Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo 30 days to ditch repair-deterring warranty stickers on their consoles.

“This letter places you on notice that violations of the Warranty and FTC Acts may result in legal action”, the FTC wrote. “FTC investigators have copied and preserved the online pages in question, and we plan to review your company’s written warranty and promotional materials after 30 days.”

The changes made cover warranties on PS4, PS3, PSVR & PS Vita and now states that the warranty is void if the customer causes damage to the system by opening it, not just by the act of opening it.

Two changes have been implemented, including a change to the use of peripherals not supplied or licensed by Sony, and the voiding of the warranty seal.

"Our previous warranties stated that the warranty does not apply if the product is used with a peripheral that is not supplied or licensed by SIE. Our updated warranties state that the warranty does not apply “to damage caused by” use of the product with an unlicensed peripheral."

"Our previous warranties stated that the warranty does not apply if the warranty seal on the product has been altered or removed. Our updated warranty states that the warranty does not apply “to damage caused by” opening the product or to damage caused by service performed by someone other than a representative of SIE or an SIE-authorized service provider."

The new limited warranty terms now allow PS4 (and PSVR, PS3 and PS Vita) owners to void the seal and open up their systems while still retaining Sony’s warranty, although the warranty does not apply when the system is damaged due to opening it. A subtle change, but still an important one as it appears that Sony will now have to prove that a system was actually damaged due to opening it instead of merely saying the warranty doesn’t apply as the seal was voided.

https://wccftech.com/sony-playstation-4-waranty-seal/

So the first to fall, hopefully this action by the FTC will be enough to scare everyone into changing policies.

It's just a shame its US only.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Now we just need to see this done with the rest of the world. And Xbox..... and well everything that is broken within respect.

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

dbrand should do a warranty sticker stickerbomb skin for consoles, LOL

That would be an amazing Stickerbomb skin, would totally get it for my Xbox 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Meh. Next console or next revision they'll use screws that can't be removed:

One_Way_Round_Head_Machine_Screws_RESIZE

and use strong and large clips so that attempt to open the panel will ensure that the casing will break.

Those screws removed but it's a chore. One way is to use a Dremel and a used cutoff wheel (has a smaller diameter to flatten the sloped parts of the head so a flat blade screwdrive won't slip. That wasy is a bit risky since an easy to make slip will damage the case.

A bitmore work, but safer is to drill a really tiny pilot hole in the dead center of the scew head to keep the drill bit end of a screw extractor from drifting due to catching on the slots. It may be necessary to use a cone shaped grinding bit in a Dremel to help get the cone shaped hole for the screw extractor. Then you just use the screw extractor in the normal fashion

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Never get the point as to why would anyone want to open up their console, when it's still under warranty. So there is some problem and you opened it. Now what, have the proper tools for

diagnostic, have spare parts for replacement, probably no. So why bother.

This you can open and still have warranty is not going to work.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

does that mean the water cooled PS4 is still on warranty lol

Image result for Water cooled PS4 LTT

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Never get the point as to why would anyone want to open up their console, when it's still under warranty. So there is some problem and you opened it. Now what, have the proper tools for

diagnostic, have spare parts for replacement, probably no. So why bother.

What if you take it to one of those repair centers at the mall they open it up and there like lol nope, like I get if its under warranty you might now do that, however kids may have parents who do that not knowing any better.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

You could open it before and not lose your warranty. Sony let's you upgrade the storage. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Those screws removed but it's a chore. One way is to use a Dremel and a used cutoff wheel (has a smaller diameter to flatten the sloped parts of the head so a flat blade screwdrive won't slip. That wasy is a bit risky since an easy to make slip will damage the case.

A bitmore work, but safer is to drill a really tiny pilot hole in the dead center of the scew head to keep the drill bit end of a screw extractor from drifting due to catching on the slots. It may be necessary to use a cone shaped grinding bit in a Dremel to help get the cone shaped hole for the screw extractor. Then you just use the screw extractor in the normal fashion

True, but they can put the screw in a small silo so you can't cut or do anything without damaging the case to some level.

8 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

What if you take it to one of those repair centers at the mall they open it up and there like lol nope, like I get if its under warranty you might now do that, however kids may have parents who do that not knowing any better.

And that's where the problem is. Who knows what they could have done with it while it's opened. They take it to a Sony repair center, Sony repair guy denies the warranty, and the life long journey arguing about warranty and visits to the lawyer begins. All because Mr/Ms "knows how to fix anything" in reality can't fix anything got the itchy fingers.

For me, if a console is under warranty, I'm not going to open it. I'll just contact the manufacture and sent it back to them. After warranty expires, I can now open it, why bother, I can't fix it, so I'll just take it to a authorized repair center, and let them have a look at it. Then I'll decided if it's worth repairing or just buy a new one.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

It would be nice if Sony VAIOs get extended warranty for free.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 minutes ago, williamcll said:

why?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

10 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Not happening. Sony doesn't own VAIO anymore and hasn't for years.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

and use strong and large clips so that attempt to open the panel will ensure that the casing will break.

Microsoft maybe. But Sony recognizes that people like to take apart their consoles, and they engineer their consoles to reward those that do. Expecially the PS3.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Even in Canada?
Well, that's good I guess. People will finally be able to clean up the internals of dust without ruining their warranty... Now if only they could make the damn thing easier to open without risking breaking something.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

"You are purchasing a non-exclusive, non-revocable, transferable license to use the Sony(R) PlayStation(R) 5(TM) console. You are not purchasing the console outright. The physical console is the sole, non-transferable property of SIE."

--Sony's warranty, after the PS5 is released.

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

You know why most products are 1 year warranty? Because of cost.

Ages ago, products had multi-year warranties. But what happened is that you have Brand X, selling a competing product of Brand Y of the same quality, but cheaper as the warranty is shorter. Consumer bought the cheaper one. And now 90-days and 1 year warranty is common in North America. In Europe, laws forces a minimum, but of course, as a result, products are more costly. Basically the product price with the extended warranty added to it. Personally, if you want to get longer warranty, always go with the manufacture directly, no third party (although some companies hire a third party to represent them, they have the general rule of doing anything to not honor warranty to return back fancy result to their clients shows "Thanks to our wonderful "experts" team, 60,000 units were not RMA and the consumer is happy!  Saving you millions! Please sign bellow for a renewal!" Ignoring the fact that the consumer will never buy their products again due to the poor warranty service, but anyway).

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Use alcantara like what Microsoft did with the Surface Laptop.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

So the annoying thing about this where you will have the right to a repair after you opened your console can go in two ways. PS4 can already be open to add a different base HDD and while you can do this on the Xbox it is more tedious. Anyway getting to the point not everyone opens their console for the sake of opening it. Majority of people that do open it are either curious about how the console works, clean it out or replace their HDD or something. 

Now what I find amusing is people think because the warranty doesn't get voided from opening the console now is that console manufactures are gonna have to deal with a lot of shit but this isn't completely correct as if you read the warranty update for said area this is what it says;

Spoiler

Our updated warranty states that the warranty does not apply “to damage caused by” opening the product or to damage caused by service performed by someone other than a representative of SIE or an SIE-authorized service provider.

Meaning that yes you CAN open your console now but if any damage is cause by you or any other in-authorised service provider then you warranty is voided. So they can still refuse repairing it if no care is taken when performing a repair and it not working lets say for example on the PlayStation I opened it to replace lets say a Capacitor that looks like it is given up the ghost or something similar, If I done said repair with due care and didn't cause any damage to the product it would still be within the warranty as no damage has been caused other than what was already visible. But if someone done that and lets say had solder drop onto another track or something then that has liability as if said solder connected two tracks that shouldn't be this could have caused damage up powering up which is able to be voided. 

So short the Warranty will still get voided for people that damage their console while doing a repair or while it is open. All that has changed is hey we allow you to open your Console to change the hard drive without voiding warranty and to clean the dust out... that's pretty much it. 

so i guess it's ok for north americans to do it but not for everyone else. This seems fine >:(

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

so i guess it's ok for north americans to do it but not for everyone else. This seems fine >:(

Yeah, this was the worry all along. It's the FTC that mandated this so it only applies in NA right now.

I can't see it being very long before the EU step in and require something similar in Europe though.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, this was the worry all along. It's the FTC that mandated this so it only applies in NA right now.

I can't see it being very long before the EU step in and require something similar in Europe though.

my point is if they don't have valid reasons to go against the FTC decision (and if they would they would present their case or even go to court to fight this) then they shouldn't really be forcing this crap on the rest of the world.

I'm not against the different treatment in itself as i guess we have 2 years warranty and you guys only one, but more against the companies itself not defending what they sold as very important, maybe it isn't all that important after all if it isn't worth fighting for

Manufacturers now: glue all the things!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>