WhatsApp to get Ads

Nicnac
1 minute ago, ScratchCat said:

All they will have to do to keep the money rolling is lease out all their data to the NSA, they would pay dearly for such vast quantities of data (if they don't already have access to it).

Probably lol

(But I'd much rather have them move their planned dating feature for fb over to insta... :ph34r:)

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

31 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

It's exactly like Facebook but the only people on it are the people the owner invites.

Think about Facebook but with only the people you work with.

that's.... lame..

and that's 3£ a month? I hope it's per workplace and not per employee.

Yeah discord's clearly better. Facebook may be easier to connect people with and such, but all the rest is lame, slow or unresponsive.

If WhatsApp introduces ads into the platform, I am legitimately going to uninstall it. The only reason it lives on my phone is because my parents and family use it and its a pretty great way to stay connected cross-countries without having to open up Facebook, shoot an email, or spend a lot of money on international calls. I'll try figuring out an alternative for everyone to adopt, but ads in a core part of a mobile experience- messaging, is a big no-no for me.

PC in Profile

11 minutes ago, Keystone Nyan Cat said:

If WhatsApp introduces ads into the platform, I am legitimately going to uninstall it. The only reason it lives on my phone is because my parents and family use it and its a pretty great way to stay connected cross-countries without having to open up Facebook, shoot an email, or spend a lot of money on international calls. I'll try figuring out an alternative for everyone to adopt, but ads in a core part of a mobile experience- messaging, is a big no-no for me.

I'd switch to Telegram or something similar I think

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

4 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Is why I use SMS. I don't care to have more than one messaging application in use. SMS is universal enough where I can communication with everyone I need to from one app.

Lol, so you are ok with being "that one snowflake that is the reason a full circle of friends need to pay extra for an SMS flat, because that one guy refuses to go with the times"?

I bet every circle of friends has that one snowflake and everyone hates it.

At least SMS flats are becoming free now at last, so it will bother us less. 

If you would kindly kill me. My parents are under the impression that I'm the one using all of our mobile data, but actually I'm usually under .6 GB a month while they both go well over 2. They use WhatsApp instead of texting, and if it gets ads... we'll leave it to phil on this one.JzfNVWm.jpg.91643b98496340894d6aae962fb65d6f.jpg

"Shashabooey" - Po

23 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

Lol, so you are ok with being "that one snowflake that is the reason a full circle of friends need to pay extra for an SMS flat, because that one jerk refuses to go with the times"?

I bet every circle of friends has that one snowflake and everyone hates it.

At least SMS flats are becoming free now at last, so it will bother us less. 

Perhaps, though there isn't much else to communicate with iMessage users anyhow. And I don't have, nor possess a desire to have a Facebook (nor Twitter, Instagram, nor any other social media) to use it's messaging.

So yes, I am ok with it.

Btw, Google Voice can be used to send SMS without paying the flat rate.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

It's a bit out dated now days anyway. The IPad system is horrid needing a phone to be active to message from another device. Should be called whatscrApp

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Meanwhile I’m just getting started with WhatsApp to communicate with my non-iPhone using relatives :dry:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

So now they're at the mercy of advertisers like Youtube ad-pocalypse?

7 hours ago, The Viking said:

that's.... lame..

and that's 3£ a month? I hope it's per workplace and not per employee.

Yeah discord's clearly better. Facebook may be easier to connect people with and such, but all the rest is lame, slow or unresponsive.

Per work place, we use it for posting polls and designes and things. 

Discord we use for chat between developers.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

20 hours ago, BuckGup said:

Like they need more money riiiiiiight

It's a For Profit Organisation and you complain that a free service is getting ads? Damn

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

49 minutes ago, Kukielka said:

It's a For Profit Organisation and you complain that a free service is getting ads? Damn

you're missing the point. it was a paid service, then it was bought by fb who decided to make it free.

with a 16 billion $ revenue and barely any infrastructure or overhead compared to other tech companies they sure can't complain.

So I can definitely see his point.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

11 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

but my plan only has 150 free SMSes per month ,_, pretty sure a busy month will easily blow past that

What plan do you have that you're only allotted 150 text messages? I know of a handful of plans that don't offer unlimited messages (admittedly in the u.s.) I personally have had unlimited messages since Cingular got bought out.

Just now, VegetableStu said:

the plebest plan outside US ._. at least I have 5GB for about 23USD/mth

Hey at least it's cheap! 

57 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

the plebest plan outside US ._. at least I have 5GB for about 23USD/mth

I have an s8 unlimited calls / texts and 5 gb of data for £27.00 or $36.

If your worried you can just move to signal.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Back to Viber then. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I've always disliked WhatsApp. From its clunky manner of managing contacts to needing a phone connected every time you want to send stuff on your PC.

Regardless, I'm forced to use it because everyone and their dog on my contacts list is using it, and only a few use Telegram, my preferred client.

I would LOVE to say "Fuck you too!" to Whatsapp and leave for Telegram or alternatives, but I'm chained to a brick wall with this one because my contacts insist on using it.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, Nicnac said:

you're missing the point. it was a paid service, then it was bought by fb who decided to make it free.

with a 16 billion $ revenue and barely any infrastructure or overhead compared to other tech companies they sure can't complain.

So I can definitely see his point.

I'm aware it was a paid service, my points still stands. Why would you offer something for free and not get any value out of it? This is capitalism, not communism. Why would anyone decline to make loads of cash with barely any effort?

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

45 minutes ago, Kukielka said:

I'm aware it was a paid service, my points still stands. Why would you offer something for free and not get any value out of it? This is capitalism, not communism. Why would anyone decline to make loads of cash with barely any effort?

I'm not saying i expect it to be free or anything. Just saying they might overshoot their targets with this as lots of people might switch apps. Hell, I'd pay 10x as much as it used to be if I don't see ads then ^^

It is that they sell your data already and now they Also want to serve us ads?!

On the other hand no one seemed to care about all those fb data scandals so they probably will get thru with this and nothing will change.... kinda depressing honestly.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

On 5/6/2018 at 5:44 PM, Sauron said:

Well, signal is still a bit clunky for the average user - but Telegram isn't linus_swag48x48.jpg.b6a2f6d6c13cd6540bf2c6694460a9c3.jpg

How's signal clunky? My mom uses it... although I think I had to set it up for her.

3 hours ago, ElfFriend said:

How's signal clunky? My mom uses it... although I think I had to set it up for her.

It's still missing some features, but then again I haven't tried it in a while so maybe it's better now.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*