Chris Hook joins Intel

snortingfrogs

In what can only be described as the dream team getting back together again, Chris Hook (former AMD Senior Director, Global Product Marketing) has announced that he will be joining Raja Koduri and Jim Keller and leading marketing for visual technologies and dedicated graphics.

Friends,
I’m exhilarated and energized to be starting a new marketing leadership role at Intel in Santa Clara, CA.

Intel is a company I’ve long admired and is without a doubt the finest silicon engineering company in the world. It also has a rich history of processor innovation dating back to the Intel 4004, which was released the year I was born. It has an equally rich history in marketing innovation, having succeeded what was once the unthinkable – turning what started as an unassuming 16-pin black ceramic integrated circuit into a household name and notable consumer brand.

As many of you know, it was recently announced that Intel is embarking on a journey to expand its leading position in integrated graphics for PC with high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments, and will be growing its technology portfolio across computing, graphics, media, imaging and machine intelligence for clients and data centers, AI, and edge computing.

That’s a pretty exciting journey, and one I personally want to be part of. So starting tomorrow, I’ll be assuming a new role in which I’ll be driving the marketing strategy for visual technologies and upcoming discrete graphics products.

I’m also excited to meet the Intel team. The folks I’ve met there so far are the best in the world at what they do; they’re laser-smart and driven to win. And there are also a few good Intel folks that I’ve had the privilege of working with in the past at AMD, world-class engineering leaders Ari Rauch, Raja Koduri and Jim Keller, who at multiple points in their careers have architected and engineered some of the most respected software and silicon in history.

So here’s to the future – one with competition, choice and incredible technology.

Cheers,
Chris

Seems like Intel is really going all in in their investment into GPU's.
It's going to be really interesting to see what they come up with.

Source: https://wccftech.com/chris-hook-joins-intel/

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

I love how he says he will miss the people at AMD when they are also at Intel

I hope AMD won't die after 2020

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I could've sworn I've seen an LTT TNR post about this like a week ago.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Intel is adding TONS of people (hyperbolic, I know) to their graphics divisions. Are they really going to enter the discrete graphics market? If they do, they'd better focus on small single-slot cards where there are very few great choices. 

@snortingfrogs You need to add personal thoughts. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Maybe that was the one about Jim Keller?  There's been a lot of people jumping ship lately it seems

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Maybe that was the one about Jim Keller?  There's been a lot of people jumping ship lately it seems

Well rumors were him going to Intel lol.

Looks like Intel is sniping everyone that they possible can get for graphics, kinda expected it.

27 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I know Jayztwocents talked about on his show

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

feels like everyone is joining Intel at this point, at this point it wont even surprise me when the next news topic is "Lisa Su joins Intel!"

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'd like to see a 6-core CPU like the i5 8400, but with Vega 11 instead of Intel's shit-tier iGPU

I have high hopes for Intels entry to the GPU market. Really has me considering waiting until they launch their cards before I build an ultimate rig.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

46 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is kind of old news I'm afraid. We basically knew he was joining Intel before. And because we basically did, does this count as a repost? Cos it technically isn't but sementically it is.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

This is kind of old news I'm afraid. We basically knew he was joining Intel before. And because we basically did, does this count as a repost? Cos is technically isn't but sementically it is.

That was about him leaving AMD, this is about him joining Intel.  I think it counts as new information.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

feels like everyone is joining Intel at this point, at this point it wont even surprise me when the next news topic is "Lisa Su joins Intel!"

Ha ha. Very funny.

But Lisa Su is probably in it for the long game at AMD. The big thing recently about Intel poaching AMD CPU architects is Intel is just head hunting some good CPU architects so that, long story short (from another TNR thread) that Intel can have a re-designed CPU architecture from scratch. Basically :P.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Ha ha. Very funny.

But Lisa Su is probably in it for the long game at AMD. The big thing recently about Intel poaching AMD CPU architects is Intel is just head hunting some good CPU architects so that, long story short (from another TNR thread) that Intel can have a re-designed CPU architecture from scratch. Basically :P.

core is old as shit in the computer world, so yah now that AMD is getting close they really need to put in some work. hopefully we get something really nice out if it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Intel...'d better focus on small single-slot cards where there are very few great choices. 

I'd love to see some GOOD single-slot video cards, in at least a couple categories.

At the value end, I want to see something that's good fps/$ in the $30 price range, so maybe it could get 60fps at 1080p medium in esports games and 45fps at 900p low in AAA games or something like that.

As for higher performance, I also want to see better power efficiency across the board.  Where I live, electricity can be >50¢/kWh.  I want my electric bill / performance ratio to be the same as someone using the then-equivalent of Pascal in Wenatchee, WA. :)

Also I remember the days when the highest-end CPUs and GPUs sipped so little electricity that they didn't even HAVE (nor need) ways to mount a heatsink.  I'd like to see that again, without sacrificing performance.  Linus's kids should be able to safely hold their hands directly on the i9-12980XE and Vega 384 dice (dies?), or whatever they're called, while they're running Prime95 Small FTT and Furmark and running a big enough OC to get the OC Madness achievement in 3DMark on Steam.

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

BREAKING NEWS!  Jensen Huang joins Intel!  Steven Mollenkopf joins Intel!  Simon Segars joins Intel!  (Who else...)

3 hours ago, Okjoek said:

I'd like to see a 6-core CPU like the i5 8400, but with Vega 11 instead of Intel's shit-tier iGPU

I'd like to see higher-tier iGPUs with higher-tier CPUs.  For example an Atom might pair with a GTX x50 equivalent, a Pentium with an x60, an i3 with a x60 Ti, a LGA 11xx i7 with a x80, a LGA 20xx i9 with a Titan x, and an LGA 3xxx Xeon with a Quadro/Tesla Gx100 equivalent.

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

core is old as shit in the computer world

Maybe this is when that brand will finally retire?  We basically went #86 -> Pentium -> Core -> ... What's next?  (I wonder if the Xeon name would get replaced too eventually...)

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Intel can have a re-designed CPU architecture from scratch. Basically :P.

Yeah, it's way past time for that.  I'd like a massive jump in IPC for starters.  My 4790K is about 2.2x faster single-threaded than my previous CPU (Athlon 64 X2 4000+, or my dad's Core 2 Duo T7250 I used for a while) was multi-threaded.  I want my next CPU to make a big or more of the same jump over the 4790K in the same time frame.  (Athlon & C2D were bought in Feb/Aug 2008, 4790K was bought in Jan 2015.)

Also for multi-threading, my 4790K encodes 4K H.265 at 0.5 fps.  My next CPU (that's priced no higher when inflated by 3rd-party sellers than the i7-2600K was at Micro Center on Black Friday around 2011/2012) has to do at least 60+ fps with the same maxed-out settings in Handbrake.  (If H.266 or whatever is out then and is similar progression past H.265 that it was over H.264, it has to do it with H.266.)

Am I the only one who misses the rapid pace of progression / innovation we saw in the late 1980s to early 2000s?  Although, I don't personally remember the early 80s well at all, I was born the same year the IBM PC 5150 came out.  (Actually today in PST as of the time of this post, that year.)

I want to see things in all categories (CPUs, RAM, storage, display, etc) quickly catch up to where we would be if that pace had not slowed, then at least maintain that pace going forward.

Db9s3p6WkAIzH3x.jpg

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

oh goodness what's left of AMD? o_o

Hopefully some very bright new talent that will change the world but just needs somewhere to prove themselves. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 hours ago, Carclis said:

Db9s3p6WkAIzH3x.jpg

Still waiting on a Fantastic Four meme...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

so who's the invisible woman?

I can only vote Raja for Mr. Fantastic since dropping the 480 would have been less catastrophic if he were able to stretch. 

Spoiler

Let's make the bald guy the Invisible Woman. 

Spoiler

I should mention that I know that's Chris Hook. It only seems fitting to use him as the thread is about him. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

12 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Intel is adding TONS of people (hyperbolic, I know) to their graphics divisions. Are they really going to enter the discrete graphics market? If they do, they'd better focus on small single-slot cards where there are very few great choices. 

@snortingfrogs You need to add personal thoughts. 

They 100% want a piece of nvidias business on gpu market, deeplearning, AI , server and high end workstations maybe even crypto.

Its undeniable, look at how much nvidia's business is growing every year and look at the almost tripled price of AMD's cards due to crypto, intel missed a ton on this market, they invested quite a bit in iGPU's but they are not good enough for todays workloads, they need dedicated GPU's and i hope they start with server/workstation pro products.

The biggest problem memory will affect intel aswell, i hope they produce their own memory HBM or G6 its not like they dont have fabs and experience with memory in flash/optane, without memory fabs their products might come out too slow.

As byproduct i expect gaming gpu's 1-2 years after server/workstation gpu's come out, but those require a ton of driver work, i doubt they can produce anything even close to nvidia/amd game drivers optimization in a couple of years.

27 minutes ago, yian88 said:

They 100% want a piece of nvidias business on gpu market, deeplearning, AI , server and high end workstations maybe even crypto.

Its undeniable, look at how much nvidia's business is growing every year and look at the almost tripled price of AMD's cards due to crypto, intel missed a ton on this market, they invested quite a bit in iGPU's but they are not good enough for todays workloads, they need dedicated GPU's and i hope they start with server/workstation pro products.

The biggest problem memory will affect intel aswell, i hope they produce their own memory HBM or G6 its not like they dont have fabs and experience with memory in flash/optane, without memory fabs their products might come out too slow.

As byproduct i expect gaming gpu's 1-2 years after server/workstation gpu's come out, but those require a ton of driver work, i doubt they can produce anything even close to nvidia/amd game drivers optimization in a couple of years.

To the last part, well damn. I was kinda hoping they've been working on something in the background for ages, working it along side their 1151 CPUs on special test rigs and then they can just launch and go 'Here you go!'.

Speaking of the launch, whenever that is, I hope they go high high end, I mean we don't want another Vega 56 / 64 debacle where they're competing with cards a year old, and essentially losing too. If they timed it for the 1180/1180ti and waited for one of those to launch then dropped their card, just after that and it was better in every way, I think that would draw much more positive attention than a... 1050ti/1060 3GB competitor at a similar or better price.

Sooo..... is this good or bad? Does Intel want 100% marketshare so all the governments will rip their buttholes?

Really, I just don't understand this crap, does Intel wanna see AMD burn into ashes? Does nGreedia wanna see AMD burn too so they can jack up the prices to the next solar systems? I feel so bad for AMD:(

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

9 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I'd love to see some GOOD single-slot video cards, in at least a couple categories.

At the value end, I want to see something that's good fps/$ in the $30 price range, so maybe it could get 60fps at 1080p medium in esports games and 45fps at 900p low in AAA games or something like that

To be fair, that's somewhat igpu perf which they already have. I remember playing csgo maxed out at 60-100fps with my 6600k igpu while waiting for the gpu to arrive. Granted that was a few years back now, but esports titles haven't gotten that more demanding

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ha ha. Very funny.

I like how people still think Keller somehow belongs to AMD, despite barely having worked there.

Keller is far more of an Apple employee than AMD employee.

Keller work at AMD for 1 year, between 1998 and 1999.

Then he worked at SiByte/Broadcom from 1999 to 2004.

After that he worked at P.A. Semi / Apple from 2004 to 2012 (he actually left P.A Semi to work for Apple, and then just after he left, Apple bought P.A. Semi).

Then he worked at AMD again for 3 years (2012-2015) before leaving for Tesla, and now he has joined Intel.

So in total he has spent 4 out of the last 20 years at AMD. He has spent twice as much time at P.A. Semi/Apple than he has at AMD. Hell, he has spent more time at Broadcom than he has at AMD.

33 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah but it's easier to develop a narrative where AMD is screwed because Keller is responsible for all great CPU  they have ever made...

Once people like Youtubers including Linus spread that narrative, well everyone believes it even if he hasn't worked at amd for long.