AMD’s second-generation Ryzen processors are now available for preorder

Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Please do not turn this thread into a fanboy AMD/Intel argument, or a debate about the legitimacy of NDAs.

I am about to buy a new pc gaming/ work, and I'm thinking of getting the Intel i5 8600K for about 240€, should I go with the new Ryzen 5 2600X for 230€?

On 4/13/2018 at 12:51 PM, Misanthrope said:

I am rather irritated at this soft "unbox only" pre-releases. I wish Steve Burke wouldn't be as polite to other reviewers and fucked AMD over with a full review right now: this controlled message nonsense it's transparent and makes all tech reviewers look like paid fucking shills (That is to say, far more than usual)

^ This. It's beyond irritating when tech tubers all bow down to a company and go by embargos, ultimately just in order to get free stuff and to be approved by those companies. Their first 'duty,' if they consider themselves to be in any way serious as journalists, is to the viewers, to their audience and users of the products, not to any corporation. Any tech tuber who does this has lost credibility for me.

10 minutes ago, Timon18 said:

I am about to buy a new pc gaming/ work, and I'm thinking of getting the Intel i5 8600K for about 240€, should I go with the new Ryzen 5 2600X for 230€?

You will undoubtedly get better performance and much better value going with one of the Ryzen + CPU's. The sweet spot is the 2700X if you can stretch your budget a little.

On 4/13/2018 at 3:05 PM, xriqn said:

Now the new X470 chipset, that is VERY interesting to me. Could that be a new enthusiast chipset to overthrow the current enthusiast chipset, X370?

What? Like this sentence is pretty much captain obvious stuff

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

You will undoubtedly get better performance and much better value going with one of the Ryzen + CPU's. The sweet spot is the 2700X if you can stretch your budget a little.

I believe it will, but for 100€ more shouldn't be overkill? Just saying, gaming and programming... Right now in my rig, I have an i5 4570 but I'm going to sell it and buy everything new.

10 hours ago, This kid builds pc said:

I mean the 8150 gets about 800cb OC'd on cinebench whereas in my experience with a 1600 at 4ghz i got 1300 so unless upgrading to a ryzen 7 I don't think it would be worth it. Also, I love the way the 990fx Gigabyte boards look. Used to have a UD5 with a FX 6300 at 4.8ghz.

It would be a huge performance difference if you upgraded to Ryzen 1, let alone Ryzen +. I hear you on the looks of the boards but what I've seen of the new X470's appears to match and exceed that too, so far, apart from the usual dross from the likes of MSI and Biostar.

1 minute ago, Timon18 said:

I believe it will, but for 100€ more shouldn't be overkill? Just saying, gaming and programming... Right now in my rig, I have an i5 4570 but I'm going to sell it and buy everything new.

My suggestion then would be to wait for good reviews, perhaps Hardware Unboxed if they don't lean too much on rubbish 720p comparisons and AdoredTV for sure. Plus, waiting a little while gives you the chance of snagging a motherboard and CPU at a sale price, which should happen in a couple of months or so, if you have some equivalent to Microcenter in the US where you are.

2 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

My suggestion then would be to wait for good reviews, perhaps Hardware Unboxed if they don't lean too much on rubbish 720p comparisons and AdoredTV for sure. Plus, waiting a little while gives you the chance of snagging a motherboard and CPU at a sale price, which should happen in a couple of months or so, if you have some equivalent to Microcenter in the US where you are.

Actually, I'm in Lisbon, Portugal and in the north have a Microcenter but doesn't have the same stuff that is in the US. But I have a couple stores around that could be a good option to look. I want to have it all ready in June because I got a whole month of vacations xD

I don't mind if spend a little over my budget since I get a rig for 5-6 years.

26 minutes ago, Timon18 said:

Actually, I'm in Lisbon, Portugal and in the north have a Microcenter but doesn't have the same stuff that is in the US. But I have a couple stores around that could be a good option to look. I want to have it all ready in June because I got a whole month of vacations xD

I don't mind if spend a little over my budget since I get a rig for 5-6 years.

Wait for the reviews. With all Ryzen products, the question is what GPU are you going with? And what is "work"? There's the notable Arma/Adobe set of games/program that a 6 Ghz Ryzen CPU wouldn't solve. (Arma has a busted engine that's just busted less on Intel; Adobe is optimized for Macs and the 7700k still tops the charts there.)

We expect, minus a few exceptions, everything up to the 1070 TI should be maxed out on either of the Ryzen 2600X or Ryzen 2700X. Just be sure to have 3200 memory, preferably CL14 but CL15 or CL16 should work fine. (Which is also the same suggestion for an Intel purchase on the Z370 platform. Intel responds really well to memory speed as well.)

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Wait for the reviews. With all Ryzen products, the question is what GPU are you going with? And what is "work"? There's the notable Arma/Adobe set of games/program that a 6 Ghz Ryzen CPU wouldn't solve. (Arma has a busted engine that's just busted less on Intel; Adobe is optimized for Macs and the 7700k still tops the charts there.)

We expect, minus a few exceptions, everything up to the 1070 TI should be maxed out on either of the Ryzen 2600X or Ryzen 2700X. Just be sure to have 3200 memory, preferably CL14 but CL15 or CL16 should work fine. (Which is also the same suggestion for an Intel purchase on the Z370 platform. Intel responds really well to memory speed as well.)

The games are racing games to play with VR system and 3º person shooters, and I will be in college next year learning programming engineering so something around that. Maybe I will learn photoshop on my own.

I know that I will spend a lot of money on my pc and on a monitor too so... 

Does any software is kind of blocked or not compatible with AMD?

1 hour ago, johnukguy said:

^ This. It's beyond irritating when tech tubers all bow down to a company and go by embargos, ultimately just in order to get free stuff and to be approved by those companies. Their first 'duty,' if they consider themselves to be in any way serious as journalists, is to the viewers, to their audience and users of the products, not to any corporation. Any tech tuber who does this has lost credibility for me.

This is incredibly ignorant. They get the cpus early from AMD and are under NDA. They can't just release the reviews early as they would be breaking a legally binding document and could get sued. If they got the cpus early some other way then they could post a review as they wouldn't have signed NDA but that isn't the case. Also if someone were to post their review early it would also mess with all the other tech YouTubers release day reviews as it would be old news by then and nobody would watch. All in all the main reason why they wouldn't do that is because they are not stupid and don't want to get sued.

2 hours ago, Timon18 said:

The games are racing games to play with VR system and 3º person shooters, and I will be in college next year learning programming engineering so something around that. Maybe I will learn photoshop on my own.

I know that I will spend a lot of money on my pc and on a monitor too so... 

Everything works, it's just a matter of Price vs Performance.  If you're not going to buy at least a Nvidia 1080 or 1080 Ti, then AMD is almost assuredly the way to go given the side issues. Adobe still works, it just works best on Macs (lol), then Intel then AMD. It's a small margin, but if you're running some very specific workloads, you'd be better on Intel.

If you're going to be programming or doing any light encoding, the 2600X will *likely* be the most cost effective option. If you expect to do a lot of Video work, especially encoding, the 2700X is the easy way to go. Intel is the better buy if you're getting a 1080 Ti due to aspects that can get more of the power out of high FPS at 1080p gaming. If you're gaming at 1440p or 4K, then AMD will do just as well, minus a few odd games. (Hitman really hates Ryzen but it loves RX Vega; no clue why.)

AMD does everything well, but in specific approaches, Intel has some SKUs that are better. It's nice we're back at that point, but it does change the advice you give people when buying. When people just "need a computer that works", the Ryzen 5s with 6c/12t is simply a great option. 

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

(Hitman really hates Ryzen but it loves RX Vega; no clue why.)

Hahaha true xD

I kind like AMD specs both GPU and CPU but most people that I speak they all say: "Don't buy AMD! Intel is so much better!"

So kind of divided in that matter

But I will stay sharp and see the reviews

4 hours ago, johnukguy said:

That's very bold claims considering we don't know what the Ryzen chips performs like, or what programs he is going to run.

Both have the same number of cores (although the Ryzen chip has SMT) and run at the same frequency (with the Intel one boosting higher).

I think people are too quick to assume AMD has better value than Intel. It is most certainly not always the case.

4 hours ago, johnukguy said:

AdoredTV should never be trusted. He constantly cherry picks benchmarks and is a massive AMD fanboy.

I'd even consider Semi Accurate more trustworthy.

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Adobe is optimized for Macs and the 7700k still tops the charts there.

[Citation Needed]

3 hours ago, Timon18 said:

With the exception of QuickSync encoding, not really. You won't have any issues like an Adobe program saying "sorry, you need an Intel CPU to do this". There are probably some extreme edge cases (like custom written software for some server that uses Intel processors, and don't have any fallback instructions) but it's nothing you need to worry about.

29 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

If you expect to do a lot of Video work, especially encoding, the 2700X is the easy way to go.

That very much depends on the encoder.

First of all, you're comparing a much more expensive AMD chip to the Intel one. A better comparison would be the 8700K vs the 2700X.

Right now, the 8700K is about ~25% faster than the 1800X for encoding using pure CPU HEVC encoding. If you are willing to lower the quality a bit and use QuickSync, then the i7 wins hands down in terms of speed.

36 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

When people just "need a computer that works", the Ryzen 5s with 6c/12t is simply a great option. 

The same can be said about Intel.

Right now, AMD and Intel are overall pretty damn close in terms of price:performance. When picking a CPU right now what you should do is:

1) Decide on a budget and check out the AMD and Intel CPU that costs about that much.

2) Look up benchmarks for the most common programs you will use.

3) Buy the processor that gets the best results in those programs.

40 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

That's very bold claims considering we don't know what the Ryzen chips performs like, or what programs he is going to run.

Both have the same number of cores (although the Ryzen chip has SMT) and run at the same frequency (with the Intel one boosting higher).

I think people are too quick to assume AMD has better value than Intel. It is most certainly not always the case.

AdoredTV should never be trusted. He constantly cherry picks benchmarks and is a massive AMD fanboy.

I'd even consider Semi Accurate more trustworthy.

[more bullshit follows, not worth repeating]

When picking a CPU right now what you should do is:

1) Decide on a budget and check out the AMD and Intel CPU that costs about that much.

2) Look up benchmarks for the most common programs you will use.

3) Buy the processor that gets the best results in those programs.

Utter bullshit, especially when it comes to Jim/AdoredTV and yes, the new CPU's will give better performance per dollar than any existing Intel CPU at current pricing. This is already no secret, especially to those of us who actually work with these companies and can see for ourselves. If you want to wait for the reviews to be proven wrong, fine. :) Luckily I have the opportunity to see these CPU's in action and yes, they beat anything from Intel quite easily at Intel CPU's current pricing. If Intel lowers their pricing, especially on the 8700K significantly, and that means by more than 20% or so, then yes they will indeed still be a good choice, but I don't see that happening just yet. If you know different, then by all means show that they are going to lower their prices.

4 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Utter bullshit, especially when it comes to Jim/AdoredTV and yes, the new CPU's will give better performance per dollar than any existing Intel CPU. This is already no secret, especially to those of us who actually work with these companies and can see for ourselves. If you want to wait for the reviews to be proven wrong, fine. :) Luckily I have the opportunity to see these CPU's in action and yes, they beat anything from Intel quite easily at Intel CPU's current pricing. 

That isn't anything new though, first gen Ryzen has already been winning in price/performance.

11 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

That isn't anything new though, first gen Ryzen has already been winning in price/performance.

Yes the first gen absolutely has and it's amazing that some are still in denial about that.

21 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Utter bullshit, especially when it comes to Jim/AdoredTV and yes, the new CPU's will give better performance per dollar than any existing Intel CPU at current pricing. This is already no secret, especially to those of us who actually work with these companies and can see for ourselves. If you want to wait for the reviews to be proven wrong, fine. :) Luckily I have the opportunity to see these CPU's in action and yes, they beat anything from Intel quite easily at Intel CPU's current pricing. If Intel lowers their pricing, especially on the 8700K significantly, and that means by more than 20% or so, then yes they will indeed still be a good choice, but I don't see that happening just yet. If you know different, then by all means show that they are going to lower their prices.

So, you're saying Zen+ has a ~30% performance increase per core over Zen? Because that's the level of increase it would need in order to beat Intel in for example x265 (the most widely used HEVC encoder).

16 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It depends on which price category and which programs you compare. It is not better across the board.

6 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Yes the first gen absolutely has and it's amazing that some are still in denial about that.

I am not in denial about anything. I am just saying that these extremely board and oversimplified generalizations are wrong.

ordered my 2700x and 2600x yesterday and hero 7 today :D cant wait. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

So, you're saying Zen+ has a ~30% performance increase per core over Zen? Because that's the level of increase it would need in order to beat Intel in for example x265 (the most widely used HEVC encoder).

It depends on which price category and which programs you compare. It is not better across the board.

I am not in denial about anything. I am just saying that these extremely board and oversimplified generalizations are wrong.

I've already seen how well Zen+ will perform, its just a bit better than Zen and its because of clock speed at the cost of power consumption, so not sure where @johnukguy is coming from.  Pure price per performance yeah maybe even that I think will be pretty close.

10 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

I've already seen how well Zen+ will perform, its just a bit better than Zen and its because of clock speed at the cost of power consumption, so not where where @johnukguy is coming from.  Pure price per performance yeah maybe.

From everything i've read so far Zen+ is a bit faster than Zen at 4Ghz, but yeah mostly a clock speed bump over Zen.

I just don't see why people pre-order these paying the "new tax" without waiting for the reviews, i'd like to see some real world tests and especially power consumption as the previewed X470 boards have some more serious looking VRM's and heatsinks.

6 hours ago, Timon18 said:

As others said, you can't go wrong with waiting for a week to see where the Ryzen+ stack up.

Having said that, and depending on how much of a difference there is in the end, I wouldn't lose sight of the Ryzen 1000 CPUs, which are going for significantly less (think €150 for a 1600, €240 for a 1700). While it's always nice to get the better alternative, sometimes the money is better spent somewhere else.

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

As others said, you can't go wrong with waiting for a week to see where the Ryzen+ stack up.

Having said that, and depending on how much of a difference there is in the end, I wouldn't lose sight of the Ryzen 1000 CPUs, which are going for significantly less (think €150 for a 1600, €240 for a 1700). While it's always nice to get the better alternative, sometimes the money is better spent somewhere else.

Yes, I will wait for reviews and search for new opinions and different points of view,

The opinions in this matters are quite the opposite. Some like A or B so much that doesn't see anything else,

I wish it were tomorrow, Thursday. xD

48 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

i'd like to see some real world tests and especially power consumption as the previewed X470 boards have some more serious looking VRM's and heatsinks.

AMD already explained why, just stable power delivery & actually proper thermal sensors on the VRMs to avoid the whole temperature -20C issue we had on launch with the original ryzen last year. If you bought a proper board like the taichi x370 then this doesn't affect you. 

edit: i understand some people want to wait though, which isn't really a bad idea. Especially to find the best x470 boards and avoid the x370 board issue where some manufacturers had really bad boards with bad or no bios support/updates.