With world events going on should I accelerate my plans for new PC?

Okjoek
Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

The 400 chipsets will likely launch alongside Ryzen 2. To be honest, a 1600/2600 is really all a lot of gamers need/will need for a good long while.

Also, I wouldn't believe that tweet unless I saw some real proof that it was going to happen. Until such a time as that comes to pass, I'm categorizing that tweet as a tinfoil-hatter and leaving it at that.

I saw this tweet by Banacules Nerdgasm (Guy from Tech Talk with Jayztwocents)

Hope I would have enough time after the Ryzen 2000 launch to get a new platform upgrade before I start seeing the effect of this.

Been debating between whether the R5 2600 or R7 2700 would be better. Cause with my current 4 cores I can play certain games like Planetside, but it uses all 4 of them which makes running things in the background hamper my performance. With 6 or more cores I could just set affinity to 4 of the free cores and worry less about other programs. I really want that 8 cores, but that is a lot of money for me.

When do the 400 series chipsets come out? Are they being launched along with Ryzen 2000? 

The 400 chipsets will likely launch alongside Ryzen 2. To be honest, a 1600/2600 is really all a lot of gamers need/will need for a good long while.

Also, I wouldn't believe that tweet unless I saw some real proof that it was going to happen. Until such a time as that comes to pass, I'm categorizing that tweet as a tinfoil-hatter and leaving it at that.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I live in Canada, and go to Taiwan every couple of years, so I'm fine.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

One issue with that, not everything comes from china for pc parts.  My 6950x was made in malaysia for example!  Asus, msi and gigabyte are all Taiwanese and approximately one third of cpus come from Mexico or Ireland 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

10 minutes ago, JDE said:

Not from any of the mentioned places in this thread but does Canada get this kind of shippings directly from China or goes through USA?

Just now, Koneinuri said:

Not from any of the mentioned places in this thread but does Canada get this kind of shippings directly from China or goes through USA?

Depends on the company. But there are many world class ports on the west coast of Canada so it probably just as cheap if they go through US

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

9 minutes ago, JDE said:

Depends on the company. But there are many world class ports on the west coast of Canada so it probably just as cheap if they go through US

That's what I wanted to know

20 minutes ago, Damascus said:

One issue with that, not everything comes from china for pc parts.  My 6950x was made in malaysia for example!  Asus, msi and gigabyte are all Taiwanese and approximately one third of cpus come from Mexico or Ireland 

One thing is produced and a different one is assembly. AFAIK some things are boxed and sent from the same assembly country so for CPUs, except some ARM and the likes, I think it's fine, but this will affect GPUs. But for now I don't think so, it doesn't seem to be an ALL chinese imports:

The Office of the US Trade Representative issued a list targeting 1,300 Chinese products, including industrial robots and telecommunications equipment.

That of course depends if TC includes this kind of devices.

Then again I'm some random guy on the internet and I could be wrong :/

12 minutes ago, Koneinuri said:

One thing is produced and a different one is assembly. AFAIK some things are boxed and sent from the same assembly country so for CPUs, except some ARM and the likes, I think it's fine, but this will affect GPUs. But for now I don't think so, it doesn't seem to be an ALL chinese imports:

Fair enough, though depending on how the tariffs are set up the finished product would likely be exempt.

Asus receives batches of gpu dies from nvidia's China based factory, assembles the gpus in their Taiwanese factory and ships it off.  It probably has components from all over Asia but the final product will be made in Taiwan and taxed accordingly  

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The list of items that Trump wants to impose tariffs on has been published already by the US government, so it's not fictional and is unfortunately all too real. Just about every pc component you can think of will be affected:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/us/politics/white-house-chinese-imports-tariffs.html

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/files/Press/Releases/301FRN.pdf

While there may be some truth to price increases due to import tariffs, I would argue that the average increase will be significantly less than 25% as many products are made in other SE asian countries.  Furthermore, I don't know anything about the guy that made the tweet, but I'm going to guess he's a tech commenter and makes money on pc component referrals?  am I close?

Not sure ,but you can click the link below in the comments section to find out and use our affiliate link  lol

7 hours ago, johnukguy said:

The list of items that Trump wants to impose tariffs on has been published already by the US government, so it's not fictional and is unfortunately all too real. Just about every pc component you can think of will be affected:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/us/politics/white-house-chinese-imports-tariffs.html

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/files/Press/Releases/301FRN.pdf

Damn that's a long list.

4 hours ago, hooraah said:

While there may be some truth to price increases due to import tariffs, I would argue that the average increase will be significantly less than 25% as many products are made in other SE asian countries.  Furthermore, I don't know anything about the guy that made the tweet, but I'm going to guess he's a tech commenter and makes money on pc component referrals?  am I close?

Aside from YT/sponsor money and his crypto mining rig IDK how else he makes money.

Does this mean less sketchy gear and more stuff made outside of China?

Define "Chinese" as Taiwan though considered part of China in for totally not fabricated reasons to appease China is most certainly not a part of China in terms of trade relations.

Some components may go up in price, TMSC GLoflo and Samsung make the chips Hynix and Samsung make memory none of which are in China, and only TMSC is arguable (if you are Chinese) but not really in any way that matters.

(plus do you really want chinese caps in your gpu? honestly Banacules isn't making sense here)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

9 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The Trump administration has unveiled 25 percent tariffs on some 1,300 Chinese products to force changes in Beijing's intellectual property practices.

if you make products 25% more expensive to import, the consumer ends up paying those 25%.

Right now it hasn't been applied-yet. The Trump administration is using this list to fight against the chinese who have themselves put or increased tarrifs in specific goods such as food from different states, which came as a reply to Trump's increase in tariffs on steel and aluminium.

He did say "trade wars are easy to win", so I'll just shut up and see how he wins it while ruining his country & making cost of living more expensive for the rest of americans.

And in case you're not following politics, the dude is also renegotiating trade deals between Mexico, USA and Canada. They recently slapped tariffs on canadian wood for example, automatically making all new houses more expensive to build, and, therefore, more expensive to buy.

Same with the new steel and aluminium tariffs, anything made out of those specific mateirals will soon cost more money. 

ps: this isn't politics, this should be general knowledge...

edit:

erm.... ok? who the hell imports.... grenade launchers? torperdo tubes? howitzers? bombs???? what???

MaxthonSnap20180406011237.png.516793a0d0ba0aa71241d68473fe14b4.png

5 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Does this mean less sketchy gear and more stuff made outside of China?

If it means less fake garbage then thats a good thing i guess.

5 hours ago, The Viking said:

if you make products 25% more expensive to import, the consumer ends up paying those 25%.

Right now it hasn't been applied-yet. The Trump administration is using this list to fight against the chinese who have themselves put or increased tarrifs in specific goods such as food from different states, which came as a reply to Trump's increase in tariffs on steel and aluminium.

He did say "trade wars are easy to win", so I'll just shut up and see how he wins it while ruining his country & making cost of living more expensive for the rest of americans.

And in case you're not following politics, the dude is also renegotiating trade deals between Mexico, USA and Canada. They recently slapped tariffs on canadian wood for example, automatically making all new houses more expensive to build, and, therefore, more expensive to buy.

Same with the new steel and aluminium tariffs, anything made out of those specific mateirals will soon cost more money. 

ps: this isn't politics, this should be general knowledge...

edit:

erm.... ok? who the hell imports.... grenade launchers? torperdo tubes? howitzers? bombs???? what???

Spoiler

MaxthonSnap20180406011237.png.516793a0d0ba0aa71241d68473fe14b4.png

Tbh the NA Free Trade Agreement is more to blame,which incentivized companies to shift metal foundries and goods manufacturing to China for cheap labor while exploiting a bunch of tax loopholes,if thats getting too political I apologize.

Critical stuff like military weapons,aircraft hardware, or medical equipment shouldn't be left to some possibly sketchy manufacturer. Steel and aluminum couldn't be that hard to manufacture either. But, I'm not believing that tweet too much either until there is more actual proof.

"With world events going on should I accelerate my plans for new PC?"

If you can afford it and the parts are available? Yeah I would go for it. As long as you aren't compromising based on a political themed tweet.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

My answer will be no, for the very reason of history. There have been times like these when people thought computer hardware prices would go skyrocketed high, but then that never really happened. The only downfall was when the time AMD/Radeon ceased possessing a threat to INTEL and Nvidia at the start of the decade, but then it never went that much up. The only reason we see a considerable rise in price is just because of the inflation factor.

For example, I have recently found a very old estimate sheet that I made 14 years ago for a PC build, with all the enthusiast level hardware that were present at the time, it came all up to 52000 INR (800 USD) and mind you folks it was 2004. Now it's 2018 and I recently made an estimate for a friends with Ryzen 7 and GTX 1080 ti with Ncase M1, G.Skill 3200 DDR4 16GB, ASUS ROG itx mobo and Corsair SF600 with 2TB barracuda and 256GB 960evo, the total price came up to 126k INR (around 2k USD). This doesn't include monitor and Keyboards, Mouse, but with plethora of options available I guess the total might shift around 2400-2500k USD. That's 3 times in a span of 14 years, with an inflation factor of around 9%. Now, I don't about US; but in India we are used to this inflation factor.

Cassette players (non-recording), nesoi

WHO IMPORTS THAT?

Seriously, basically every goodwill shop has a bunch of these, if you want one people will probably throw them at you because there are so many of them that nobody wants/uses.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

22 hours ago, JDE said:

We in Germany have to pay additional 19% import sales tax if you buy from outside the EU. I wonder if Canada has something similar?

Hey, I keep seeing NESOI in the pics. What does that stand for?

14 hours ago, The Viking said:

Same with the new steel and aluminium tariffs, anything made out of those specific mateirals will soon cost more

Not any more additional costs beyond yearly price increases. It's also getting mills to start operating in the US again.

14 hours ago, The Viking said:

He did say "trade wars are easy to win", so I'll just shut up and see how he wins it while ruining his country & making cost of living more expensive for the rest of americans

It's unlikely that cost of living increases any more than the standard rate.

And the trade agreements prior Trump have done more to ruin this country than his proposed tarrifs stand to.

23 hours ago, Okjoek said:

Hope I would have enough time after the Ryzen 2000 launch to get a new platform upgrade before I start seeing the effect of this.

Tarrifs are on China's exports to the US, most PC parts might not be affected.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, adman29 said:

Hey, I keep seeing NESOI in the pics. What does that stand for?

Probably this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonized_Tariff_Schedule_for_the_United_States

Honestly I've changed my mind for now. I will continue to hold off for as long as my 3rd gen keeps on trucking. I am going to be trying to find a cheap second monitor and a new desk chair for now though.

17 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

We in Germany have to pay additional 19% import sales tax if you buy from outside the EU. I wonder if Canada has something similar?

We pay nothing, up to $20, then it varies depending on item and price bracket. Sorta like income tax but with more variables, they have a easy calculator on the border security (CBSA) website

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop