AMD GPU might get their own gaming brand under GPP

NumLock21
5 minutes ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Not really. Strix is an gaming brand for products. But e.g Rog strix 1080 uses a DirectCU III cooler. Much like arous 1080 uses a windforce cooler. It's not the companies brands for the cards but the coolers. 

Arous came long after windforce... gigabyte been using windforce as a brand for years for their top cards until recently

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

5 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Is that a magnavox microwave oven?  How are people viewing this thread supposed to know what this image is without more exclusive branding plastered on it?

The company that actually manufactured that capacitor just underneath the right fan should find a way to communicate more clearly to the end user whether or not their product is actually included in this ovens assembly.  None of us want to inadvertently get stuck with ACME co capacitors.

Come on? you don't need specified branding to see from the box alone it is an ELNA low ESR made in china under strict Malaysian QC for an American company owned mostly buy a Taiwanese investment firm.   Or near enough for jazz.

1 hour ago, XenosTech said:

Arous came long after windforce... gigabyte been using windforce as a brand for years for their top cards until recently

Windforce is not a brand like aorus is,  it is their cooling solution like direct CU and twin frozr.       

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

31 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Come on? you don't need specified branding to see from the box alone it is an ELNA low ESR made in china under strict Malaysian QC for an American company owned mostly buy a Taiwanese investment firm.   Or near enough for jazz.

Windforce is not a brand like aorus is,  it is their cooling solution like direct CU and twin frozr.       

Windforce is a brand.... There are cards branded as windforce from gigabyte

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

26 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You know what?  It might actually not be enough.  That angry mechanical eagle eye should just be forevermore co-opted by a sufficiently orient gold cap capacitor manufacturer and should no longer be allowed to be used as just a gigabyte 'logo', but should ONLY mean a gigabyte-magnavox microwave oven where orient electrical component manufacturing company X was exclusively used.

Make sense cents?

5 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Windforce is a brand.... There are cards branded as windforce from gigabyte

On their cards with the windforce cooler.

https://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/275/home.html

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

On their cards with the windforce cooler.

https://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/275/home.html

Now look at pcpartpicker and you'll see there's branding for it

6 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Now look at pcpartpicker and you'll see there's branding for it

Because it's brand of cooler, not the card itself.  You can probably find direct CU as brand on there too.  But that doesn't make direct CU a brand of card, just a cooler option.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Because it's brand of cooler, not the card itself.  You can probably find direct CU as brand on there too.  But that doesn't make direct CU a brand of card, just a cooler option.

A lot of the graphics cards have a product name that includes Windforce in it. It's a bit of both, other cards with different names have Windforce coolers on it. Windforce product naming does predate Aorus though.

GeForce® GTX 1070 Ti WINDFORCE 8G 

https://www.gigabyte.com/nz/Graphics-Card/GV-N107TWF2-8GD#kf

Going by Gigabytes site it feels like they are mostly dropping Windforce as model branding. G1 Gaming, Xtreme Gaming and Aorus looks like their main branding now as they actually have categories on the site for them.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

A lot of the graphics cards have a product name that includes Windforce in it. It's a bit of both, other cards with different names have Windforce coolers on it. Windforce product naming does predate Aorus though.

GeForce® GTX 1070 Ti WINDFORCE 8G 

https://www.gigabyte.com/nz/Graphics-Card/GV-N107TWF2-8GD#kf

Going by Gigabytes site it feels like they are mostly dropping Windforce as model branding. G1 Gaming, Xtreme Gaming and Aorus looks like their main branding now as they actually have categories on the site for them.

Calling windforce a brand of card is like calling innersoles a brand of shoe though.   

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Calling windforce a brand of card is like calling innersoles a brand of shoe though.   

Well blame that on Gigabyte :P. I get the feeling they are going to stop putting Windforce in their product names though, like Asus and Direct CU.

38 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well blame that on Gigabyte :P. I get the feeling they are going to stop putting Windforce in their product names though, like Asus and Direct CU.

Still not too sure I agree,  Windforce in that link is listed under features and in the card title it comes last, where as aorus is first in the title.  If you look at the GPU sections there card brands are listed individually with their own sections (aorus, G1 gaming and extreme Gaming), but windforce is not listed.

Also this is from gigabyte themselves:

GIGABYTE introduces WINDFORCE™, the latest cooling technology that differentiates the brand’s graphics cards from the rest.

23 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If you look at the GPU sections there card brands are listed individually with their own sections (aorus, G1 gaming and extreme Gaming), but windforce is not listed.

I know, I did point that out. However like G1 Gaming or Xtreme Gaming they like Windforce when used in the product name appear in the same place, after the main product name i.e Geforce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming. Only Aorus appears in front of the product name when used.

Windforce is both used as a product name/brand like G1 Gaming and Xtreme gaming and is the name of their cooler technology.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I know, I did point that out. However like G1 Gaming or Xtreme Gaming they like Windforce when used in the product name appear in the same place, after the main product name i.e Geforce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming. Only Aorus appears in front of the product name when used.

Windforce is both used as a product name/brand like G1 Gaming and Xtreme gaming and is the name of their cooler technology.

my G1 Gaming 960 has a massive "WINDFORCE" on the side

8 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

my G1 Gaming 960 has a massive "WINDFORCE" on the side

Yep, because it's using the Windforce cooler. That doesn't erase the existence of cards that are literally named Geforce GTX 1070 Ti Windforce, like I linked to. There are GTX 1070 cards that are named G1 Gaming, Xtreme Gaming and Windforce.

That's what is being pointed out and is the issue, Windforce is both the name of Gigabytes cooler technology and is also used as product naming. Neither is invalid like is being proposed, both are true and correct.

It wasn't that long ago Asus had the same issue. They had cards named with Direct CU II, Asus stopped using it in product naming because of the confusion and I'm betting Gigabyte is going to as well.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That's because just like Direct CU and twin frozr, when they use that cooler on any one card they advertise it in the name.   It is a feature supposed to make the card better, I don't see how it becomes a brand of card in it's own right. 

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That's because just like Direct CU and twin frozr, when they use that cooler on any one card they advertise it in the name.   It is a feature supposed to make the card better, I don't see how it becomes a brand of card in it's own right. 

There are Windforce cards without G1, XTREME, or Aorus branding

Because when you have an entire line of products that carry the Windforce name and defines a SKU, multiple attributes of the card, then it is a brand. It is being used to tell you something important beyond that is the cooler on the card, you use it to identify it as being different from a G1 Gaming card. Both have the same cooler on it but they may have different board designs or base and boost clocks etc, remove Windforce from the name and you loose the ability to identify the card so one would have to assume it's a stock GTX 1070 when it is in fact not, it has a factory OC.

As I mentioned in my previous post Asus stopped putting Direct CU II in product names because of this.

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

There are Windforce cards without G1, XTREME, or Aorus branding

That's becasue they have the windforce cooler on them.  They aren't windforce cards per se, they are cards with windforce coolers.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Because when you have an entire line of products that carry the Windforce name and defines a SKU, multiple attributes of the card, then it is a brand. It is being used to tell you something important beyond that is the cooler on the card, you use it to identify it as being different from a G1 Gaming card. Both have the same cooler on it but they may have different board designs or base and boost clocks etc, remove Windforce from the name and you loose the ability to identify the card so one would have to assume it's a stock GTX 1070 when it is in fact not, it has a factory OC.

As I mentioned in my previous post Asus stopped putting Direct CU II in product names because of this.

But gigabyte do sell cards that don't have the windforce cooler, they are just listed as Nvidiatm 1050ti D5 or 4 or whatever.   The windofrce designation is strictly only used on cards with said cooler.

But gigabyte do sell cards that don't have the windforce cooler, they are just listed as Nvidiatm 1050ti D5 or 4 or whatever.   The windofrce designation is strictly only used on cards with said cooler.

But those cards are not named Windforce are they?

As I said Windforce is being used for both purposes. Every card with a Windforce cooler on it gets the logo/badge on the box but not every card with a Windforce cooler on it has that in it's product name, only the Windforce product line has that naming just like only the G1 Gaming line of products have that naming.

What you're saying is every graphics card with a Windforce cooler on it would be called Geforce GTX 1070 Ti G1 Gaming Windforce, that is not the case. Windforce is not slapped on to the product name of everything, it is only put on to the Windforce line of products.

I do get what you're trying to say but it's not a simple case of Windforce being purely used as a cooler technology and you won't see a Windforce named card without a Windforce cooler on it. It is dumb and Gigabyte should stop using it in product names, like Asus, but it is what it is for now.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

But those cards are not named Windforce are they?

As I said Windforce is being used for both purposes. Every card with a Windforce cooler on it gets the logo/badge on the box but not every card with a Windforce cooler on it has that in it's product name, only the Windforce product line has that naming just like only the G1 Gaming line of products have that naming.

What you're saying is every graphics card with a Windforce cooler on it would be called Geforce GTX 1070 Ti G1 Gaming Windforce, that is not the case. Windforce is not slapped on to the product name of everything, it is only put on to the Windforce line of products.

I do get what you're trying to say but it's not a simple case of Windforce being purely used as a cooler technology and you won't see a Windforce named card without a Windforce cooler on it. It is dumb and Gigabyte should stop using it in product names, like Asus, but it is what it is for now.

Just perusing the gigabyte website, and if the GPU has a windforce cooler on it it has a logo on the box.  If that's the only feature they have to promote a card (because it's essentially a reference deal with a windforce cooler) then why wouldn't they put it in the name?  And how does that suddenly make it a brand of card in it's own right?

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Just perusing the gigabyte website, and if the GPU has a windforce cooler on it it has a logo on the box.  If that's the only feature they have to promote a card (because it's essentially a reference deal with a windforce cooler) then why wouldn't they put it in the name?  And how does that suddenly make it a brand of card in it's own right?

Because if you do a search on their site to see how many products have come under the Windforce branding, actually having Windforce in the product name, then there are 20 products. https://www.gigabyte.com/nz/Search?kw=Windforce

Windforce cards are also not just stock with a Windforce cooler on it.

Stock GTX 1070:

• Base: 1506
  • Boost: 1683

GTX 1070 Windforce:

• Base: 1506/1531 (OC Mode)
  • Boost: 1683/1721 (OC Mode)

The defining characteristic of the Windforce cards is that is the cooler on them and they are mostly stock cards but there is a more intelligent way to name them, not put Windforce in the product name. Asus recognized this issue, Windforce named cards are very low in product stack but much higher cards have those coolers, so they use things like 'Advanced Edition'. https://www.asus.com/nz/Graphics-Cards/GTX1060-A6G-9GBPS/

It's a wise thing to not use Windforce or Direct CU II in a product name because if you're not careful it may hurt the image of much higher tier products with the same cooler or make it difficult to change cooler design/name because it is also the product name. A Windforce tier card is still the same tier card if Gigabyte change the cooler and it's name to Galeforce, so what do you do keep the Windforce name or put Galeforce in the name now? Advanced Edition or anything else is much smarter than putting Windforce in the name.

Branding should be consistent for as longer period of time as possible, changes to product design shouldn't directly effect it otherwise you'll end up going through continuous cycles of re-branding and customer education. A G1 Gaming card or Strix could change the cooler used and that has no effect on the product name.

If you have 4 tiers of products it's much better for the consumer to track over time, across reviews over years, if the names do not change. G1 Gaming should mean the same thing now as 5 years ago and also 5 years from now, can't say the same thing about Windforce (WF1, WF2 and WF3).

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Because if you do a search on their site to see how many products have come under the Windforce branding, actually having Windforce in the product name, then there are 20 products. https://www.gigabyte.com/nz/Search?kw=Windforce

Windforce cards are also not just stock with a Windforce cooler on it.

Stock GTX 1070:

• Base: 1506
  • Boost: 1683

GTX 1070 Windforce:

• Base: 1506/1531 (OC Mode)
  • Boost: 1683/1721 (OC Mode)

The defining characteristic of the Windforce cards is that is the cooler on them and they are mostly stock cards but there is a more intelligent way to name them, not put Windforce in the product name. Asus recognized this issue, Windforce named cards are very low in product stack but much higher cards have those coolers, so they use things like 'Advanced Edition'. https://www.asus.com/nz/Graphics-Cards/GTX1060-A6G-9GBPS/

It's a wise thing to not use Windforce or Direct CU II in a product name because if you're not careful it may hurt the image of much higher tier products with the same cooler or make it difficult to change cooler design/name because it is also the product name. A Windforce tier card is still the same tier card if Gigabyte change the cooler and it's name to Galeforce, so what do you do keep the Windforce name or put Galeforce in the name now? Advanced Edition or anything else is much smarter than putting Windforce in the name.

Branding should be consistent for as longer period of time as possible, changes to product design shouldn't directly effect it otherwise you'll end up going through continuous cycles of re-branding and customer education. A G1 Gaming card or Strix could change the cooler used and that has no effect on the product name.

If you have 4 tiers of products it's much better for the consumer to track over time, across reviews over years, if the names do not change. G1 Gaming should mean the same thing now as 5 years ago and also 5 years from now, can't say the same thing about Windforce (WF1, WF2 and WF3).

Whilst that is true and I agree with most of it, it still doesn't change the fact that windforce is the name of the cooler and not branding for the card itself.  The fact Asus worked out that having a common denominator link their top end and entry level cards was bad so scrapped the Direct CU label,  only furthers the evidence that the cooler name is not a card brand.

26 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Whilst that is true and I agree with most of it, it still doesn't change the fact that windforce is the name of the cooler and not branding for the card itself.  The fact Asus worked out that having a common denominator link their top end and entry level cards was bad so scrapped the Direct CU label,  only furthers the evidence that the cooler name is not a card brand.

I simply do not see it that way, there is literally zero difference between putting G1 Gaming at the end as there is putting Windforce. Both tell us what it is.

Put it this way, pretend the coolers are called G1 Gaming, does that now suddenly make G1 Gaming not branding for that tier of cards? No it doesn't.

And I don't see how Asus stopping using it reinforces it's not a brand, that further shows how it was a brand and it was an issue so they stopped using it that way. When you plaster Direct CU II over everything while start introducing lower tier products in it gets messy as to what it actually means, Direct CU II cards used to only be top tier.

A brand is defined as:

• A type of product manufactured by a particular company under a particular name.

Windforce is a brand. End of discussion.

It is not only a brand of coolers, but it is also a brand used for certain factory overclocked cards.