AMD GPU might get their own gaming brand under GPP

NumLock21
5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yes I have seen that, have you actually gone and looked at the graphics cards on their site and how they are named.

Windforce is a cooler, awesome, but it's not the point.

When you have cards named like these:

• GeForce® GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8G
  • GeForce® GTX 1070 WINDFORCE 8G

If Windforce in that usage is not branding then neither is G1 Gaming.

Direct cu is a brand?

Just generic name because its including that cooling technology

Just now, pas008 said:

Direct cu is a brand?

Just generic name because its including that cooling technology

Direct CU is no longer in Asus product names, see my edit btw.

22 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Direct CU is no longer in Asus product names, see my edit btw.

Actually none are a brand they are a model number related to their cooling

Every company is doing it or did it

This generic way of labeling their cards

Should go away

If it was a sub brand it would be carried to their other aibs hence motherboards

Imho this is why nvidia should be allowed to step in with partnership

Because ultimately it's a nvidia product

10 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Actually none are a brand they are a model number related to their cooling

Every company is doing it or did it

G1 Gaming is a brand, so is Xtreme Gaming and none of those names are for any of the components on the cards, coolers or anything. Windforce is the name of a cooler, also used on G1 Gaming and Xtreme Gaming cards however like all those cards they all have the brand name in the product name so you can actually tell what series/brand it belongs to.

So either Gigabyte has no branding at all for their graphics cards and no way to market their different cards to consumers or they do have brands. I'm fine with either, I'm not going to ignore the usage of Windforce in product names like G1 Gaming is and say one is and one isn't. They are or they are not.

Edit:

And if we are going to go with are not then this thread and news story are in fact not true because there is no such thing as GPU branding under those conditions, other than the name of the AIB company.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

G1 Gaming is a brand, so is Xtreme Gaming and none of those names are for any of the components on the cards, coolers or anything. Windforce is the name of a cooler, also used on G1 Gaming and Xtreme Gaming cards however like all those cards they all have the brand name in the product name so you can actually tell what series/brand it belongs to.

So either Gigabyte has no branding at all for their graphics cards and no way to market their different cards to consumers or they do have brands. I'm fine with either, I'm not going to ignore the usage of Windforce in product names like G1 Gaming is and say one is and one isn't. They are or they are not.

Read edit agree with some

12 minutes ago, pas008 said:

If it was a sub brand it would be carried to their other aibs hence motherboards

Not all branding is used across all product types though. Take Strix for example, that wasn't for a long time.

Gigabyte might, probably does, legitimately not want it treated as branding but due to their lack of foresight have put it on to products in the very same manor as all their other branding, the fix is to stop doing it. My gut feel, like I said probably 3 pages ago now, is that Gigabyte is going to do this.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Not all branding is used across all product types though. Take Strix for example, that wasn't for a long time.

Gigabyte might, probably does, legitimately not want it treated as branding but due to their lack of foresight have put it on to products in the very same manor as all their other branding, the fix is to stop doing it. My gut feel, like I said probably 3 pages ago now, is that Gigabyte is going to do this.

Hope so actually kinda sick of this copy and paste shit going on with these aib designs across all fronts

On 03/04/2018 at 8:14 AM, XenosTech said:

Arous came long after windforce... gigabyte been using windforce as a brand for years for their top cards until recently

I think you will see manufacturers move towards more generic high end brands, not just based on one type of tech; hence the shit to Aorus. It allows gigabyte to market water cooled cards under the same Aorus brand. Same for Asus and ROG, it allows Asus to have water cooled, dual or triple fan cooler designs or hybrids - all fall under ROG. And allows brand to be used for high end monitors, keyboards, cpu coolers (aorus cpu cooler), cases, laptops etc. The Aorus and ROG brand are pushed to be synonymous with high end gaming products*

*not including AMD Radeon or related products.

Before gaming branding came along, gaming cards were branding based on their higher performing custom cooler. Like DirectCU II, Windforce, Frozr, etc. They were more quiet and could give you a higher overclock. For all intents and purposes, the cooler WAS the gaming brand. It's not even that many years ago, how young/forgetful are people in here?

That being said, the vendors themselves say that their gaming brands sell better, even if the cards are no different. That is one of the reasons GPP is market manipulative and thus anti competitive.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Notional said:

Before gaming branding came along, gaming cards were branding based on their higher performing custom cooler. Like DirectCU II, Windforce, Frozr, etc. They were more quiet and could give you a higher overclock. For all intents and purposes, the cooler WAS the gaming brand. It's not even that many years ago, how young/forgetful are people in here?

That being said, the vendors themselves say that their gaming brands sell better, even if the cards are no different. That is one of the reasons GPP is market manipulative and thus anti competitive.

Cards are not always the same, often non gaming (or non high end) cards are cheaper with smaller heatsink, not as high end fans etc:

Ah, Nvidia's GPP. The scummy bs, that just keeps giving you herpes in the public swimming pool.

Not only will Asus no longer use ROG for RadeOn cards, they might outright not use ASUS either:

https://videocardz.com/75783/nvidia-gpp-meet-asus-arez-radeon-series

For now, this is just a rumor, but our information comes directly from ASUS. Apparently, ASUS will launch a new AREZ brand for Radeon series. These cards will not carry any ROG branding. In fact, they might even lose ASUS branding altogether.

The ROG series simply do not exist under AREZ brand. That said there are no AREZ ROG STRIX series, but AREZ STRIX. Same applies to other sub-series, such as Phoenix, Expedition and so on. These are called AREZ Phoenix or AREZ Expedition respectively.

Other companies such as Gigabyte and MSI have already started removing “Gaming” Radeon products from their websites. Gigabyte’s AORUS series are so new that the company has not yet decided how to name Radeon cards in the future. Meanwhile, MSI ‘hid’ all Radeon Gaming series from their website.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

ASUS will launch a new AREZ brand for Radeon series.

Well AREZ sounds much cooler than ROG anyway

edit: thought i was in a different thread for a bit

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Sierra Fox said:

Well AREZ sounds much cooler than ROG anyway

Agreed, but it will also stand as a much weaker and more unknown brand. That WILL hurt AMD sales.

Arez, well if they bring back insane limited edition cards i wouldn't mind!

I really miss those insane cards we used to see...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

Arez, well if they bring back insane limited edition cards i wouldn't mind!

I really miss those insane cards we used to see...

Those were dual RadeOn cards. And they were called ARES. Certainly where they got it from, but still.

3 minutes ago, Notional said:

Those were dual RadeOn cards. And they were called ARES. Certainly where they got it from, but still.

True, but the thing is we haven't seen anything insane anymore for a while.

No dual rx 580 or limited vega64 with an insane WC or something.

And these days RGB is everything so they can RGB the crap out of it too...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

True, but the thing is we haven't seen anything insane anymore for a while.

No dual rx 580 or limited vega64 with an insane WC or something.

And these days RGB is everything so they can RGB the crap out of it too...

Indeed. So the new Asus X470 boards are showing up as rog. So dumb. You know, one way ASUS could kinda redeem themselves, after bending over for NVidia's scumminess, could be to rebrand ALL amd based and focused products into AREZ. So Asus Arez x470 motherboards. Asus Arez 34" curved ultrawide Freesync monitors, Asus Arez Navi cards. If you're gonna fuck over your own brand, at least go all in, Asus.

30 minutes ago, Notional said:

Ah, Nvidia's GPP. The scummy bs, that just keeps giving you herpes in the public swimming pool.

Not only will Asus no longer use ROG for RadeOn cards, they might outright not use ASUS either:

kIKUWQ.jpg

LOL

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

kIKUWQ.jpg

LOL

Funny thing is, the people that participated in that are all most likely from the tech crowd. I'd imagine it to be a much smaller portion care about brand, had it been posted by someone more mainstream.

43 minutes ago, leadeater said:

LOL

Yeah, I laughed at that too :D

26 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Funny thing is, the people that participated in that are all most likely from the tech crowd. I'd imagine it to be a much smaller portion care about brand, had it been posted by someone more mainstream.

That's because only the tech crowd knows and understands the different brands. A non techy will buy the established brands, not because they are specific brands or names, but because it's the only thing they know/recognize. That is one of the main reasons why GPP is such a problem for competition. By usurping the vendors brands, NVidia will automatically get a much higher market share by non techies, who only knows brands and not the tech itself.

8 minutes ago, Notional said:

Yeah, I laughed at that too :D

That's because only the tech crowd knows and understands the different brands. A non techy will buy the established brands, not because they are specific brands or names, but because it's the only thing they know/recognize. That is one of the main reasons why GPP is such a problem for competition. By usurping the vendors brands, NVidia will automatically get a much higher market share by non techies, who only knows brands and not the tech itself.

This all depends on your angle of view. It can argued to be helpful and be argued that it's hurtful. As of now though, most non tech literate people know the BIG names such as; HP, Lenovo/IBM, Dell, Apple, Acer, and Asus (to an extent). When it comes to what is inside the box they could care less as long as it does what they need, you would be amazed (or maybe not) by the amount of people that have no idea that a GPU is a thing.

That's all the further I'm going to go into that, as of now it's best to stay level headed and see how it's handled by the industry, could be good or it could be bad. I do appreciate your input though!

18 hours ago, Notional said:

All ASUS had to do is keep “Republic of Gamers” for AMD (for Radeon) and make a new brand called “Nation of Gamers” for Nvidia.  “R” for Radeon, “N” for Nvidia.  Easy peasy, and makes sense.  

On 31/03/2018 at 10:39 AM, potoooooooo said:

Anti competitive business practices

Nope, theyre fully within their legal rights unfortunately

1 hour ago, Comte DeLoach said:

All ASUS had to do is keep “Republic of Gamers” for AMD (for Radeon) and make a new brand called “Nation of Gamers” for Nvidia.  “R” for Radeon, “N” for Nvidia.  Easy peasy, and makes sense.  

I guess probably not. I think it would be safe to assume that nvidia wanted the AIBs established brands and the AIBs knew it.  Either implicitly or explicitly, take your pick, it doesn't matter as far as the businesses are concerned. 

20 hours ago, Notional said:

Indeed. So the new Asus X470 boards are showing up as rog. So dumb. You know, one way ASUS could kinda redeem themselves, after bending over for NVidia's scumminess, could be to rebrand ALL amd based and focused products into AREZ. So Asus Arez x470 motherboards. Asus Arez 34" curved ultrawide Freesync monitors, Asus Arez Navi cards. If you're gonna fuck over your own brand, at least go all in, Asus.

Well, I want to see this confirmed or debunked... Here we are discussing if removing Aorus or ROG is meaningful, but a change in the main brand? That's way more serious. Until a significant part of the market learn Asus=Arez, it would seem like a random knockoff for a while. And even then people may still think that Asus is not using its branding because it's intrinsically worse (the same way GMC segments its lineup by selling Opels and Chevrolets in Europe, or Chevrolets and Daewoos respectively in North America).