AMD GPU might get their own gaming brand under GPP

NumLock21

According to gigabyte themselves it is a cooler, it is not listed in their list of card brands.  So even though they sometimes stick it in the model name, that does not make it a brand of card.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

According to gigabyte themselves it is a cooler, it is not listed in their list of card brands.  So even though they sometimes stick it in the model name, that does not make it a brand of card.

Well while they use it in the product name and it's used to identify 20 products of different models across Nvidia and AMD it is a brand. You can group all those products under the Windforce name and know what they are. Lack of marketing from Gigabyte doesn't negate this, the reason they don't is they are the lowest tier cards they have so there is no reason to spend any money on marketing or to promote them. Gigabyte wants to up sell you to better products so if it looks like G1 Gaming, Xtreme Gaming and Aorus are the better products then buyers will gravitate to them.

If Gigabyte stopped using Windforce in the name and used something else unrelated to a component on the card then that would immediately be branding for those cards, the [insert no longer Windforce] brand.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well while they use it in the product name and it's used to identify 20 products of different models across Nvidia and AMD it is a brand. You can group all those products under the Windforce name and know what they are.

All you can know is that they have the windforce cooler,  the name or the logo signifies nothing else about the product.

Lack of marketing from Gigabyte doesn't negate this, the reason they don't is they are the lowest tier cards they have so there is no reason to spend any money on marketing or to promote them. Gigabyte wants to up sell you to better products so if it looks like G1 Gaming, Xtreme Gaming and Aorus are the better products then buyers will gravitate to them.

I don't dispute that.

If Gigabyte stopped using Windforce in the name and used something else unrelated to a component on the card then that would immediately be branding for those cards, the [insert no longer Windforce] brand.

Of course, if they used a term that wasn't specifically related to any part on the product it would be brand for the product as a whole, that's my point, they aren't doing that though, windforce is not a brand for the product as a whole, just for the cooler.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Of course, if they used a term that wasn't specifically related to any part on the product it would be brand for the product as a whole, that's my point, they aren't doing that though, windforce is not a brand for the product as a whole, just for the cooler.

I know that is your take on it but to me no, they are all Windforce branded and until that name is removed it's both and will for ever be to me. Because if someone asked me "Should I buy this Windforce card" I can know what it is and how it relates to other cards. If the only information was that it has a Windforce cooler on it then knowing what it is would be impossible, it could be a G1 Gaming card or an Xtreme Gaming card but it isn't it's a Windforce card.

Currently there is simply no way to denote what those cards are other than Windforce cards and when you are using a collective term like that you are talking branding not components on the card.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I know that is your take on it but to me no, they are all Windforce branded and until that name is removed it's both and will for ever be to me. Because if someone asked me "Should I buy this Windforce card" I can know what it is and how it relates to other cards.

If they use it on 20 different products and they range from G1 to barely OC'd then how does the windforce label tell you anything other than the cooler type?

If the only information was that it has a Windforce cooler on it then knowing what it is would be impossible, it could be a G1 Gaming card or an Xtreme Gaming card but it isn't is a Windforce card.

Isn't that the point of the rest of the name e.g the chip and the manufacturers number to designate if it is stock or not?

Currently there is simply no way to denote what those cards are other than Windforce cards and when you are using a collective term like that you are talking branding not components on the card.

It's safe to assume if they are 1070 windforce cards that they are stock 1070 with a windforce cooler.   Not sure what the problem is with that.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If they use it on 20 different products and they range from G1 to barely OC'd then how does the windforce label tell you anything other than the cooler type?

No there are 20 products that specifically use Windforce in the name to show what it is and are NOT part of G1 Gaming, Xtreme Gaming or Aorus. Those are Windforce cards.

There are far more than 20 products with Windforce coolers on them, that would be over 100.

Edit:

Since it seems you didn't check the link I directed to you last time here is a screen shot of some, too many to fit, of the Windforce branded cards.

xqD8Kv.jpg

That's a heck of a lot of Windforce branding for it to not be branding.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

No there are 20 products that specifically use Windforce in the name to show what it is and are NOT part of G1 Gaming, Xtreme Gaming or Aorus. Those are Windforce cards.

Sorry, should have said "and they also use them on".

There are far more than 20 products with Windforce coolers on them, that would be over 100.

The issue here is that I think you are trying to infer a meaning to the windforce label that no such criteria defines.   There is nothing I can see in Gigabytes material that stipulates (even by correlation) that having the windforce label means anything other than the card has the cooler on it.

i think windforce works like "tdi" (vw group diesel engines) for cars, it clearly relates to the engine technology but it's all a brand, marketed as such. And it's protected so other companies had to create their own brand even if the technology is the same (Peugeot uses hdi, Renault uses dci, Ford tdci...)

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Edit:

Since it seems you didn't check the link I directed to you last time here is a screen shot of some, too many to fit, of the Windforce branded cards.

xqD8Kv.jpg

That's a heck of a lot of Windforce branding for it to not be branding.

That doesn't change the fact that windforce is a cooler brand not a card brand.  The name simply implies the card comes with the windforce cooler.  It literally says nothing else about the card.  G1 on the other hand is not specifically related to any hardware and insinuates the card performs better, same with aorus and xtreme.  Windforce says nothing about the cards clocks or overclock ability just that it has a better cooler on it than stock. 

17 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The issue here is that I think you are trying to infer a meaning to the windforce label that no such criteria defines.  There is nothing I can see in Gigabytes material that stipulates (even by correlation) that having the windforce label means anything other than the card has the cooler on it.

Ok then without using the word Windforce tell me the name that is used to identify all those products I have just shown that are not part of G1 Gaming, Xtreme Gaming or Aorus.

I'm not inferring meaning you're trying to remove meaning from it's use, it has a meaning as it tells me what those cards are and the design they are using and that they are not G1 Gaming, Xtreme Gaming or Aorus, it very clearly means something otherwise why is it on the product name across so many different models from Nvidia and AMD.

The use of it in the product name is exactly like G1 Gaming, zero difference. Gigabyte just isn't doing you the courtesy of creating a catagory link for them on their site because they would rather you brought a more expensive card.

If Windforce is not branding then neither is G1 Gaming or Xtreme gaming and only Aorus is because it is the only one that comes in front of the product name and is not marketed as Gigabyte products but as Aorus products.

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

That doesn't change the fact that windforce is a cooler brand not a card brand.  The name simply implies the card comes with the windforce cooler.

No it does not, otherwise G1 Gaming used in the very same place IS NOT BRANDING!

Edit:

Look forget Windforce is a cooler name. If it wasn't then that means it is a brand. So therefore it is both. It's literally being used as both. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Ok then without using the word Windforce tell me the name that is used to identify all those products I have just shown that are not part of G1 Gaming, Xtreme Gaming or Aorus.

Why does there have to be a name to identify all of them?   They are simply cards that have one thing in common.

I'm not inferring meaning you're trying to remove meaning from it's use, it has a meaning as it tells me what those cards are and the design they are using and that they are not G1 Gaming, Xtreme Gaming or Aorus,

What design is that, what is it that the label windforce tells you?

it very clearly means something otherwise why is it on the product name across so many different models from Nvidia and AMD.

Yeah, it means they have a better than stock cooler on them.

The use of it in the product name is exactly like G1 Gaming, zero difference. Gigabyte just isn't doing you the courtesy of creating a catagory link for them on their site because they would rather you brought a more expensive card.

If Windforce is not branding then neither is G1 Gaming or Xtreme gaming and only Aorus is because it is the only one that comes in front of the product name and is not marketed as Gigabyte products but as Aorus products.

No windforce is a branding of the cooler, while G1 and extreme are brands of the cards themselves.

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No it does not, otherwise G1 Gaming used in the very same place IS NOT BRANDING!

Not sure that actually makes any sense to me.

Edit:

Look forget Windforce is a cooler name. If it wasn't then that means it is a brand. So therefore it is both. It's literally being used as both. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Going in circles now.  Of course if windforce was a generic term used to denote a higher performing product it would be a brand name for that product. but the issue is it isn't a generic brand name, It has a specific meaning and that can't be ignored to prove it means something gigabyte says it doesn't.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

What design is that, what is it that the label windforce tells you?

What does the G1 Gaming label tell you?

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

No windforce is a branding of the cooler, while G1 and extreme are brands of the cards themselves.

V7ce3U.jpg

56ao01.jpg

Tell me which card is the G1 Gaming branded card.

Just now, leadeater said:

V7ce3U.jpg

56ao01.jpg

You still haven't told me what the windforce label tells you about the product.

In your picture the top card is a G1 and the bottom card has a generic 1060 with a windforce cooler.

On 3/31/2018 at 1:16 AM, potoooooooo said:

Nvidia will probably get the shit sued out of them first, so i wouldn't look too far into this

Or force them to change the card name/brand to NVIDIA Gaming ;)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You still haven't told me what the windforce label tells you about the product.

In your picture the top card is a G1 and the bottom card has a generic 1060 with a windforce cooler.

No it's not generic it's a Windforce card denoted by Windforce suffix used in every other Windforce card. Either this is true or the above card is impossible to say it's a G1 Gaming card because the use of those words doesn't mean anything.

Windforce cards are reference PCB designs with the Windforce cooler on it and an OC mode. I told you this information already.

Edit:

This would be a generic card with a Windforce cooler

14CcUQ.jpg

No it's not generic it's a Windforce card denoted by Windforce suffix used in every other Windforce card. Either this is true or the above card is impossible to say it's a G1 Gaming card because the use of those words doesn't mean anything.

Windforce cards are reference PCB designs with the Windforce cooler on it and an OC mode. I told you this information already.

I bolded the important bit.  Reference or generic are the same thing to me.  So the only bit of information you can obtain from the label windforce in the product name is that it will have an overclock mode, likely only made possible by having a better cooler, but allas is that it?  Like all brand names it is marketing,  G1 and aorus would indicate OC's out of the box, includes the windforce cooler and probably some other shit to value add,  what does windforce in the title by itself mean again? 

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

V7ce3U.jpg

56ao01.jpg

Also, would you argue that the card is a 1060 branded card? or is that just there for information like geforce and  3G? The title of the product includes brand names, product descriptors and features.  It is not conclusive evidence that a feature or product descriptor is a brand name for the product.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I bolded the important bit.  Reference or generic are the same thing to me.  So the only bit of information you can obtain from the label windforce in the product name is that it will have an overclock mode, likely only made possible by having a better cooler, but allas is that it?  Like all brand names it is marketing,  G1 and aorus would indicate OC's out of the box, includes the windforce cooler and probably some other shit to value add,  what does windforce in the title by itself mean again? 

The card itself is not reference, those are now Founders Edition for Nvidia. If you actually want to see a real generic card then here is one from last generation.

image.png.032156778bf105e73c8ba3eb4ca034bb.png

https://www.gigabyte.com/nz/Graphics-Card/GV-N980D5-4GD-B

The card itself is not reference, those are now Founders Edition for Nvidia. If you actually want to see a real generic card then here is one from last generation.

image.png.032156778bf105e73c8ba3eb4ca034bb.png

https://www.gigabyte.com/nz/Graphics-Card/GV-N980D5-4GD-B

Because technically once you put a fancy cooler on it it is no longer generic.  Even though the underlying card is nothing flash.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Because technically once you put a fancy cooler on it it is no longer generic.  Even though the underlying card is nothing flash.

Nothing flash doesn't make it devoid of branding, you're making the argument that it's a cheap card with little to no modification that it does not carry any branding even though like every other Gigabyte card there is branding for it in the same place as all the others.

Until Windforce is removed from the names of all the cards it is branding to me, always will, not going to change that opinion. To me this is not a hard line case of it's one or the other, it's both. The only way I'd consider changing my opinion is if you can give a really good reason why it cannot be both.

The onlt way I'd consider changing my opinion if you can give a really good reason why it cannot be both.

Because gigabyte says so.

All this talk of cards makes me want to buy one now.

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Because gigabyte says so.

Where do they give a definitive list of their GPU brands. I see some nice pre-done filter lists on their websites but no "These are our only brands", I don't see how a lack of one existing for Windfroce shows that it isn't one. The use of it has all the attributes of branding and if the word itself wasn't Windforce then yourself said it would be branding, seems more like you are caught up on the "but it's a name of a cooler" to then write off all the other signs that it is being used as branding.

Talks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a chicken ;)

11 minutes ago, mr moose said:

All this talk of cards makes me want to buy one now.

I kind of want to but pricing is firmly keeping me well away from doing it.